Chineoh: Can I cold turkey?

Chineoh

I've been on Risperidone 0.5mg twice daily for two weeks to assist with anxiety and insomnia from starting an SSRI (prozac). Funnily enough it has actually been causing insomnia so go figure.

Will I need to taper or am I ok coming off cold turkey?

I understand there are dangers surrounding cold turkey but I am coming off after a very short period of time.

Thanks in advance.

2008-2013 - 10mg Citalopram prescribed after one panic attack by GP - no psych evaluation

Citalopram Stopped working (no taperiing, just a hard switch to Venlafaxine)

2013-2018 150mg Venlafaxine

Jan 2018 - Came off 150mg Venlafaxine over 2 month period (as advised by GP)

Experienced intense bouts of Depersonalisation and Derealisation due to rapid tapering. Resulted in Psychiatrist evaulation.

March 2018 - Prescribed 0.5 MG Risperidone (for sleep) and 20mg Prosac

May 2018 Came of all drugs after drug induced Akathisia

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chineoh and welcome to SA. 

I'm glad you're doing some planning and research before coming off.

Here is some information on tapering

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? 

You are right that we generally don't advocate "cold turkey."  Yes, two weeks is a very short time. However, there are other factors that could influence whether a person should taper. 

Are you still taking Prozac? Any other psych drugs? Please help us out by filling out a "signature" using these instructions: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Knowing a bit more about your history can help us best guide you. Thanks!

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

The fact that you are suffering insomnia suggests that you might be having side effects to either prozac or risperidone. How long have you been on prozac? If you've only been on prozac for a short time then you may want to consider discontinuing that too, before it has a chance to get its claws into you and change your brain chemistry and structure.

As you've been on Risperidone for such a short amount of time you may be able to rapidly withdraw and limit your exposure to this awful drug. I would suggest halving your dose, wait a week or two and if no withdrawal symptoms are present then you might be okay to drop to zero.

Best of luck to you

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

• 3 weeks later...

How are you doing now Chineoh?

23rd april2018- 26th april2018-risperdal 1mg

27th october2018- 31st february 2021- clonazepam 0.5mg per day

March 2021- February 2022- Abilify 10mg or 20mg per day

+ few other antidepressants i recheck and write names

• ChessieCat changed the title to Chineoh: Can I cold turkey?
  • 2 years later...

Over Stimulation

Hi there,

I have had a storied history with meds (as has everyone).

One thing that came about when I was taking meds (both citalopram and venlafaxine) was intense fatigue caused by overstimulation.

Everything I did and still do causes by senses and body to burn out.

I can't exercise as it essentially causes my body into overload. I get a stress rash all over my body, my heart rate stays elevated for 5+ hours after exercise and it feels terrible.

Relaxation techniques such as meditation and guided breathing have no effect, diet doesn't do anything. I don't drink or take drugs.

I have tried every type of exercise imaginable (at every pace) and it still burns me out.

I have had my bloods checked regularly, and have no major immune disorders.

It is incredibly confusing and frustrating, it feels like my tolerance for physical stress is fried.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

2008-2013 - 10mg Citalopram prescribed after one panic attack by GP - no psych evaluation

Experienced intense bouts of Depersonalisation and Derealisation due to rapid tapering. Resulted in Psychiatrist evaulation.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chineoh,

From your drug signature:  May 2018 Came of all drugs after drug induced Akathisia

Have you taken any drugs or supplements since the above date?

Do you drink alcohol?

Have you taken a course of antibiotics?

Have you experienced any major life stressors, eg relationship breakdown, loss of family member of friend, loss of job?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Please see the sub topics linked in Post #1 of this topic;

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on SA.  I prefer to use a search engine and add site: survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.

I suggest that you search for symptoms which you are currently experiencing.

For example:  exercise

exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you

This is really unusual, I'm not concerned with how long withdrawal is going to take.

As I said in my post that got moved (which im unsure if you read) I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience?

I'm not saying that withdrawal is the cause of my overstimulation and fatigue, it's the reason I came off my meds in the first place.

This is some sort of weird pigeonholing - are you an automated bot?

• Moderator Emeritus

No I'm not a bot.  I'm a volunteer moderator.

I've asked you some questions about what you have taken since May 2018.

It would appear from your drug signature that you cold turkeyed off 20mg Prozac.  Some withdrawal symptoms can be similar to drug side effects.  When withdrawal symptoms continue it is called PAWS.  See:

protracted-withdrawal-or-paws-post-acute-withdrawal-syndrome

About cold turkey and fast tapering:

On 7/6/2020 at 5:44 AM, brassmonkey said:

Psych drugs work by making physical changes to the body.  The body then requires the presence of those drugs to maintain stability and to keep functioning.  Remove the drug abruptly and often the body doesn’t know how to work.  It then starts to scramble to fix itself.  While that is happening the bodies systems cannot function correctly and we get WD symptoms.  Because the body is in such chaos after CT, those symptoms can be very acute and unpredictable.

Because the body is in such chaos those symptoms may last for a very long time. In the nervous system alone, there are hundreds of billions of electrical connections that have to be reviewed and repaired.  Throw on top of that the endocrine system, hormonal interactions and a lot of other things, the body doesn’t know what hit it.  Over many months the body takes inventory and starts making the changes it thinks will correct the situation. Then, it needs to adjust to those changes.  This is where the familiar pattern of “Waves and Windows” comes from.

Like everything else WD there are no statistics on how long recovery from CT will take.  But we have a lot of case histories that give us some indication. I frequently post about several of my taper buddies that CTed 40mgai of Paxil at the same time I started my taper. Currently it has been six years, I’m off all my meds and living life at about 95% plus of normal.  They, on the other hand, are still suffering waves that rival their initial acute period.  On the positive side they are also experiencing very nice Windows.  But they are still struggling on a daily basis.

I'm going to bow out - this is incredibly frustrating. I said in my post that these same symptoms occurred when I was taking the meds.

This is not be discussing the withdrawal of my meds. I'm asking if people experienced a similar overstimulation from exercise.

I don't think you're reading my responses - in short I do have withdrawal symptoms from my meds, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IM ASKING.

I don't know else how to get this across so I'm just going to leave it. You can delete my thread if you like.

I know there are side effects from fast tapering.

My drug history is in my signature.

I feel like you're doing a cookie cutter response and thats fine, but it woud have been far easier to leave my query in the correct sub forum instead of this whole mess around.

• Moderator Emeritus

Chineoh,

What you may or may not realize, is that your nervous system is still a bit off........while recovering from drug induced akathisia and the rapid WD from Venlafaxine.

I'm hoping the akathisia is gone now.

Most symptoms like the ones you described can be related to some nervous system dysregulation.  I'm going to give you another link, as I don't see it in your thread that may help your understanding of this.......when you are interested.........please don't bite my head off.  You only had 2 posts, prior to that moved one and had not been here for a very long time.  We try to keep things orderly around here and really do want to know how you are doing as well. 

So we, as moderators, we move things around. 

And put like posts with like topics.   Send stuff back to your main introduction thread, if it's about you, or an update of some kind, or is asking for help......which you were. 

What is withdrawal syndrome?  There are more indexed topics in the first or second post of that topic that might help you understand more about how you are reacting to physical stress right now.  It can take a long time, to fully heal from the drugs disruptions to our normal balance, injuries, if you will.......as well as sometimes a long time to completely heal even when the drug is gone or after more rapid WD's. 

Seems like the: Exercise.....Do more, do less, do nothing? What worked for you? might be a good place for your query and you might be interested in that discussion as well.  And so I'll quote that post of yours that has you all upset, about it being moved, over there.  You'll find it there momentarily.  It's in the Symptoms and Self Care Forum.  We don't have a Side Effects forum.  Just click on that link and you'll see it at the end of the topic.

Please be kind to everyone you encounter, don't be such a impulsive reactionary.......that alone might help you along in your healing. 

We do give warnings, for argumentative, disrespectful posts......which your last few have been.  4 warnings and you are banned.

As you are......at this point, a relative newbie to the site.......I'm only seeing 2 posts prior to that one on Wednesday..........I'll let it go.  You might apologize to ChessieCat, who works really, and I mean really hard here, to help out others and this valuable site.

Good Lord,  may your days be brighter buddy,

moderator mmt

Edited by ChessieCat
clarity/change 3 to 4 warning points cc

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Chineoh said:

I don't think you're reading my responses - in short I do have withdrawal symptoms from my meds, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IM ASKING.

I did answer you:

5 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Edited by ChessieCat