SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Weight gain, weight loss, appetite changes, hunger

Neuroplastic

This is really more like a side-effect from taking SSRIs rather than the symptom of WD itself, but some of those who are still on drugs and are getting ready for tapering may find it really helpful.

Weight gain While on drugs my body weight went up by about 55-60 pounds. I was able to get rid of it thanks to lowering my carbs intake. What worked in your case? Interestingly, no amount of physical exercise was enough in my case to help lose weight - the whole endocrine system, metabolism, and what not, was so much out of whack, that even running three marathons a day wouldn't do a thing.

Edited by ChessieCat

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

• Moderator Emeritus

This is really more like a side-effect from taking SSRIs rather than the symptom of WD itself, but some of those who are still on drugs and are getting ready for tapering may find it really helpful.

Weight gain While on drugs my body weight went up by about 55-60 pounds. I was able to get rid of it thanks to lowering my carbs intake. What worked in your case? Interestingly, no amount of physical exercise was enough in my case to help lose weight - the whole endocrine system, metabolism, and what not, was so much out of whack, that even running three marathons a day wouldn't do a thing.

I've gained 30 pounds on Celexa and it's driving me nuts, I hate it. I never feel well on a low-carb diet, my body likes fruit too much, but I'm considering trying again after I move. Or something. Feels like I gain weight if I just LOOK at food.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I've gained 30 pounds on Celexa and it's driving me nuts, I hate it. I never feel well on a low-carb diet, my body likes fruit too much, but I'm considering trying again after I move. Or something. Feels like I gain weight if I just LOOK at food.

What may be worth trying, Rhi, is the low-glycemic fruit; blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and to avoid apples, pears, apricots, bananas and grapes. That's what helped in my case.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

on meds i gained maybe 35 pounds and swollen, since i lost them and am fine with weight at my age, even my face is more natural (friends tell me i had a drugged face)

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

This is in fact the only symptom I do NOT suffer from... I was little overweight in my last PAxil years and now I have an almost perfect posture. Most people estimate me about 5-10 years younger than my actual 43 years. In one sense a blessing, on the other hand it makes it even more difficult to explain that I do in fact suffer from a severe disease which makes normal functioning and working still impossible.

But when I look back at my 2006-2007 pictures, I do see the little swollen face of the Paxil, which is completely gone now.

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

I gained 60 pounds while on Paxil 40mg and lost it all once I was off. I gained 50 pounds back after the first year on Celexa 40mg and have lost 35 pounds so far with only 1.5mg of Celexa to go.

I exercise a lot, primarily hiking. My diet is virtually vegetarian, although every once in a while I'll eat chicken or fish. Frankly, the last few months my appetite has diminished quite a bit. Anxiety has a way of doing that to me....

My history and current condition is here.

When i look back at photos of me on 30mg and 20mg of paxil, i cringe - really,

i was that numbed up it just didnt register at all. I just got baggier tops

to hide it all, and yes i had 3 chins at one point, im serious.

At my heaviest i was almost 13 stone, 182 lbs, im serious,

during tapering and my no appetite phases it has all gone,

thank GOD, i now weigh less than pre seroxat, and feel very good for it.

My chins are all gone, except for one and i now weigh 112lb or 8stone,

and as im only 5foot 1, im told i look great.

Never give up hope if this is a problem, for some it comes off when tapering,

for others it can take up to 12 months after the drug.

Stan;- i too had the drugged up face too buddy, along with the glassy eyed look,

you are so not alone!!!!

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Well on Seroxat, like most of us here, i gained a lot of weight,

and managed to lose it during my pathetically slow wd.

But the problem is, im still losing weight, can this happen????

I know my appetite hasnt been good, but ive shoved food down,

when i really havent wanted it - what else can i do?????

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Hey Angie,

I had the same problem that in w/d I lost a lot of weight. Around 10% of my initial weight. Currently it came to a stop and I could gain back quite a bit.

To stop losing too much weight I focused on a high kilojoule diet, for example eating lots of nuts, which are very healthy and have an unbelievable amount of energy per g. I also bought special drinks like "Ensure plus" who give you a lot of energy per ml, though I am still afraid of using them, because of my digestive system probs. There were others though who had no problems and could keep their weight drinking those.

All the best to you!

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Hi Ang I have the same problem cannot gain any weight.I am only 7 st 4 now need at least to gain another 10 pounds. I live in hope that this will rectify itself.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

Thankyou maybe, i will get some ensure plus, see if that helps a bit,

its worrying, especially when family remark and get upset over my

weight loss, its not as if ive dieted or anything.

Ruth, i know hun, maybe you and I both need to start this ensure plus,

and see if we can at least maintain our weight now, or at least put

a bit back on.

• Administrator

Don't worry, Angie. Eat foods you like and you'll put the weight back on -- then you'll have to start watching what you eat!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Sur,

you know a big part of the problem has been the anxiety, i have no appetite

when thats been around, it got better when i stopped taking paxil, then i got hit

with paxil flu and nausaea, so again no appetite.

But i made up for it today hahahaha

What the heck does this drug do to us to make us put such a lot

of weight on while taking it???

Because whatever it is, it sure comes off faster than it went on lol,

or maybe i was just too numb to see it.

Thats possble, and no!!!! it wasnt because i ate more wither,

i never had A GOOD appetite on seroxat, and certainly havent since,

but i do my best to eat what i can, when i can.

Good days of wd, i eat better,

bad days still a bit hit and miss, depending how i feel.

And ive noticed even with no anxiety i struggle with food some days.

Angie,

Don't worry about the weight...I loss 30 lbs. very fast when I first went off the drug...unfortunately when I started feeling better I gained 20 back and am now fighting to get rid of it! :(

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

My experience differs but I never took paxil. I've lost a lot of weight and am only slowly being able to put it back on. I have definite issues with my upper GI and it's been a challenge to just sustain myself. But I have learned some things I'll share will those who are experiencing difficulty with weight loss.

First it is important to get enough of the various nutrients. In my case, I did not get enough protein cals for weeks and have subsequently taken on an sickly, anorexic physique as a result.

I've found the following to be helpful for maintaing:

1. Greek yogurt - more calories the better, so not fat free. plus greek yogurt is high protein so it'll protect your healthy muscle mass. Also, yogurt much easier to digest than other dairy. Fage (sp?) is the brand I like and rec.

2. Avocado -- healthy (so far as i know) and rich in calories

3. Whole organic milk - If you can tolerate dairy, I'd drink this

4. Almond butter (fresh) -- Not more than twice/wk as it seems very high in Omega-6 fats which promote inflammation

5. Meat

6. Fresh caught Alaskan Salmon -- Good in protein and Omega-3 fats. Decent calories.

7. Eggs - High in cholesterol though not sure egg cholesterol is bad. Dense calorically. 3 eggs scrambled is 300 cal or so.

8. Undenatured whey protein powder - If you can tolerate. I can not, sadly.

9. Organic baby food - Premade meals, eat 3 (servings are small). They come in pouches and varieties like Turkey dinner and lasagna. Easy to get down (it's mush) and digest. I think the brand I get is called Sprout or something like. The organic has no food additives and really clean ingredients. The meals are usually 150 cal per pouch. Check the baby food aisle.

Many of the above were suggestions from others on this board.

I think it critical to eat a lot of vegetables even though they won't add weight. (You'd have to eat 10 servings of broccoli to get the calories in one serving of Greek yogurt.) Still, veggies are important, and I try to eat a variety. Cooked and raw. Leafy greens every day.

I am not a nutrition expert, but this is some of what I eat to keep my weight up. My low was 164 earlier this month and I'm right now 168. (Of course, 3 months ago I was 200 lbs).

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Those are great suggestions.

I also used to get fruit smoothies, with frozen yogurt ice cream in them.

I also ate a lot of chicken broth with shredded poached chicken breast. And croissants. I used to carry whole wheat pretzels with me to eat any time I felt the least bit like eating.

Sadly, I no longer have an excuse to eat ice cream, croissants, and pretzels, I've gained too much weight.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Sur,

That fruit smoothie with frozen yoghurt ice cream sounds lovely,

yum, that would go down a treat i reckon,

So........ if you have some hanging around, pleased pass it on,

as it seems such a shame that you no longer have an excuse to eat

it, and it doesnt seem fair to let it go to WAIST, pardon me :lol:

just couldnt resist, so sorry

• 1 month later...

As most of you know I have been off the drug paroxetine for 6 yrs.I have always been of slight build all of my life.I put on some weight on paroxetine i was 9st 6lbs at my heaviest. Now i am 7st 1lb. A total loss of 33lbs. I am eating ok for me (never been a big eater)but this loss is very worrying, had bloods done all ok.so dunno what to do.can it be the stress of w/d symptoms?

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

• 3 months later...

Same problem for me currently.

I have lost around 5 to 6kg the past year and around 12kg from my weight before I took the pills. I am at 64kg right now with a height of 1.88m. I now even eat more calories than before taking the meds, but I lose weight. It is slowly getting dangerous and I have absolutely no clue what I can do. Maybe I lose weight because I do not eat grain and dairy products anymore and my body has to adjust to that?

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

I am exactly the same, in fact, I have just received a letter from the dietician saying I am at high risk of malnutrition because of my weight. I eat every 90 minutes or so. Small meals. I too cannot tolerate dairy anymore. I do eat grains because meat and potatoes give me pain. Then again, bread gives me pain too, I feel as though I am rapidly being unable to tolerate anything. The dietician was going to give me build up drinks, but they are very high in sugar and I can't tolerate sugar or added vitamins.

I too am at a bit of a loss and it is very worrying, I recently lost around 10 lbs in just over a week after and infection and haven't been able to recover any of it. From some others I have read about I see that the thyroid can become overactive and my sponsor too says that stress burns through food rapidly. I too am interested to hear what anyone else thinks or if this is happening to them.

Sept 2010 - Citalopram 1 day

Sept 2010 - Zopliclone for ten weeks (paranoia ended a couple of months after coming off this and sleep settled down again until the last couple of months)

Ocober 2010 - Cymbalta 30mg

November 2010 - Cymbalta 60mg

February 2011 - 60mg to 30 mg (lasted 10 days)reinstated 60mg

March 2011 - Took 2 60mg tablets on one evening in error - paralysis of face, back of head, shoulder, stabbing in right kidney, lost 30% of hearing)

March - June 2011 went down quickly 1mg a day until I got stuck at 25mg, went up to 27mg, because couldn't breath.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

7th Aug - began reducing by a bead every couple of days or so went well at first then hit a wall

24th October - now on 18.5mg. Since the kidney infection at start of September, have been in constant pain and anxiety, no let up. Given Ciprofloxacin.

8th Jan 2012 17.8mg (currently reducing 0.2mg a week)

8th Jan 2012 17.6mg last reduction was 6 days ago.

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

InNeed, try the nutrition drinks from health food stores. There are many without sugar. They may use Agave or Honey for taste. I can understand your worry about added vitamins. I got the wild idea yesterday to take 2 vit. C pills and paid dearly for it last night. I got so nauseous and then had zaps keeping me up all night. Maybe just take little sips of it with some rice milk.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I am exactly the same, in fact, I have just received a letter from the dietician saying I am at high risk of malnutrition because of my weight. I eat every 90 minutes or so. Small meals. I too cannot tolerate dairy anymore. I do eat grains because meat and potatoes give me pain. Then again, bread gives me pain too, I feel as though I am rapidly being unable to tolerate anything. The dietician was going to give me build up drinks, but they are very high in sugar and I can't tolerate sugar or added vitamins.

I too am at a bit of a loss and it is very worrying, I recently lost around 10 lbs in just over a week after and infection and haven't been able to recover any of it. From some others I have read about I see that the thyroid can become overactive and my sponsor too says that stress burns through food rapidly. I too am interested to hear what anyone else thinks or if this is happening to them.

InNeed,

How is the dietician involved w your doctors, if at all? Maybe s/he can help to find more support from the medical community. The thyroid/endocrine/immune system is very complex and an endocrinologist may better understand what is happening. They see diabetes/obesity resulting from antipsychotic use, so may be more aware of psych meds effect on the body.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 3 months later...

Since gradually lowering my dosage of Prozac, I've been unable to stop munching! It's like a knawing feeling that's never satisfied (similar to how I felt when I was taking Abilify.) Some of it may have to do with the inner restlessness/akathesia that I feel daily. Regardless, I need to put down the food. It's bad enough that I cant lose the other 30 lbs I've gained while medicated.

Any suggestions?

Diagnosed With

Depression, Social Anxiety Disorder & Agoraphobia.

Also NLD (Non Verbal Learning Disorder)

Meds I've Taken Since The Age of 13:

Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Cymbalta, Vyvanse, Concerta, Intuniv, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, Abilify, Lithium. These meds were never consistent & I was constantly switching on & off due to psychiatrists treating what I now know were side effects.

Currently Taking:

Prozac 7.5 mg (Weaning off)

Valium 2 mg

I get nauseous almost daily, but when I'm not nauseous, I sure do make up for the lack of food. I feel like if I don't eat I'll feel sick so it's like I'm self medicating with food, also like a self comfort thing. I'm not going to worry about the weight I gained with anti-psychotics at all until I'm over the withdrawals.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Hi, LMG, I asked this question a week or so ago. I was particularly fascinated how I could be intensely nauseous and intensely hungry at the same time. Actually, the nausea has gotten quite a bit better but the hunger is still there. I know what you're saying about the weight gain. I notice I've gained five pounds in the last month. A lot of this, I'm sure, is too much bread and too many sweets. A couple of years ago, my acupuncturist pushed me to start the metabolic type diet. I lost ten pounds in a couple of months and then just basically stayed at that weight for over a year. Only lately, when I wake up hungry at six in the a.m. and continue to be hungry every couple of hours has my weight started climbing.

I'm the most satisfied when I eat protein with every meal. That means breakfast especially. I try not to eat too many fatty proteins, but grilled chicken breast, a couple of eggs, roast turkey, turkey or hamburger paties, cottage cheese, piece of fish. Not too much bread, whole grain is okay, but limited. Try to watch the sweets. That's been my downfall lately. Also, a salad every day is good. I also start the day with a couple of 12 once glasses of water with lemon or apple cider vinegar. The more empty calories Ieat , the hungrier I feel.

Don't under estimate the power of exercise to satiate your appetite. For the last six weeks it's been hard for me to walk because of the nausea. That's been better the last couple of days so I walk for 30-45 minutes.

I think you can find out info on the metabolic type diet online. You fill out a questionnaire and the questions point you to whatever diet is indicated by your responses. A lot of it is common sense and trial and error.

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

• 3 months later...

Extreme and unintended weight loss is a symptom. This doesn't seem like a difficult concept to grasp, yet in today's obsessed-to-be-thin society, this symptom is overlooked by doctors too often. Worse, it is blamed on the "psych disorder/patient" with accusations of eating disorders. I've experienced this as my body became emaciated, from 136lbs to 95lbs in years when most women are gaining weight due to hormonal changes. I never tried to lose weight (though 136 was too heavy and I didn't complain). Doctors looked at my emaciated body and said "eat more". Anyone who knows me knows that I do eat. Alot. People are amazed at the amount of food I put away. For awhile, I enjoyed being a size 0 or 1 after being at 8/10/12 for years. My parents are both overweight. My sister, the barbiturate addict, is also very emaciated and eats like a horse.

I read Anniej's history and shuddered. She also became emaciated. Alex has struggled with weight loss and has been accused of having an eating disorder.

This really pisses me off. Are doctors so used to advising people to lose weight that unintended weight loss is not seen as the serious symptom it is? Yes, obesity IS a problem and psych drugs contribute to that greatly. However, the other end of the spectrum is also dangerous. It is not something to be admired or, as I've experienced, something to envy.

I had serious endocrine failure going unchecked as all was attributed to "depression".

Annie's story hit me very hard as has Alex's struggle to gain weight.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Barb, is/was your weight loss caused by, at least in part, the endocrine disturbance you have? I went from 156 lbs. down to 100 lbs. when under severe stress, then tried and tried to regain the weight, overshot (just a bit), and with the help of Lryica, went to 188 lbs. Now I'm back down to 133 and I'll stop in 5 more lbs, 128 being my best weight. The way the world gyrated as a result was a trip and a half, not I might add, a pleasant one. ~S

PS.. see my favorite food, SALAD! Tezza.. if you see this, know I have my dibs in, I'll be reincarnated as a head of lettuce.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Endocrine, undoubtedly, though I still don't know exactly what. Most of the loss was when on SNRIs, neuroleptics, benzos (ie. Opposite of expected). About 5lbs after Vyvanse added. It's a usual asumption that dopamine agonist caused weight loss, but most happened prior to that.

"The way the world gyrated..." Would you elaborate if you have an opportunity? You certainly had some drastic weight fluctuation.

Thank you for your support - always.

"The way the world gyrated..." Would you elaborate if you have an opportunity? You certainly had some drastic weight fluctuation.

Exactly what I am going through. I've lost over 60 lbs. since mom died last November. A lot of it was because I didn't have a car at the time, and I had to walk everywhere. My GP was glad I lost weight, but is now concerned I may be losing too much weight. My body mass index is still over 30, even though I have not weighed less than 250 lbs since High School (over 35 years ago). Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if citalopram (which I was on the longest, along with buspar), kept the weight up, along with my blood sugars.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

I was trying to use a short hand for self image, but was less than clear. My self esteem is considerably better at 133 lbs than 190 or 100 lbs. Vacillating between the two poles was a mind bender to say the least. My target is 128 lbs, my weight before all the changes began.

Exactly what I am going through. I've lost over 60 lbs. since mom died last November. A lot of it was because I didn't have a car at the time, and I had to walk everywhere. My GP was glad I lost weight, but is now concerned I may be losing too much weight. My body mass index is still over 30, even though I have not weighed less than 250 lbs since High School (over 35 years ago). Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if citalopram (which I was on the longest, along with buspar), kept the weight up, along with my blood sugars.

Yes meister, it was not so dissimilar. I was close to someone who overdosed with the help of benzos and ADs, prescribed by his GP, said GP also the best friend :( . I had already separated from my partner, but the relocation and his subsequent death were most difficult. Then I went on Lyrica at the same time I was struggling to overcome stress induced anorexia, and just kept gaining and gaining. Now I'm reducing and struggling with my appetite. It does not help that I'm the caregiver for my 89 yr. old father who has an insatiable sweet tooth with a metabolism to match. He never gains and at this point he is losing on more cals. than I can ever imagine eating again.

Sounds like there is a silver lining for you as you have needed to reduce for a long time. I hope you can maintain your 'loss' when you stabilize.. and there is NO silver lining for the dislocation you are facing.. my heart goes out to you.

~S

PS.. my tale probably does not quite fit here.. but neither does it belong in a weight gain thread.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Schuyler,

{{{HUGS}}}

You have been thru the wringer. I'm so sorry.

• Moderator Emeritus

Schuyler,

{{{HUGS}}}

You have been thru the wringer. I'm so sorry.

Self imposed Watson, self imposed. My choice to stay too long, the best choice of my life to leave.. or rather, not to get reinvolved when I still could have done. The narrative here is paraphrased, sort of compressed, but the message is accurate. "Physician, heal thyself", no?

Thanks for the hugs.. take one back, eh? ~S

Now I gotta stop procrastinating and get a move on, work to do, gainful employment awaits.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine whom I have not seen in about 2 years recently lost (53) lbs.

She was on Zoloft for 18 years. She said she first admitted she was a sugar addict, then stopped buying sugar products. Her husband had a heart attack at this time.

They went on a healthy sugar/fat free diet. The weight was not really coming off, She felt the Zoloft contributed to keeping the weight on.

She got off Zoloft rather quickly ~ no WD problems which was great.

And then she lost 53 pounds.

It was easier to lose weight on Imipramine then it ever has been on ssri's for me.

Yep, I am a sugar addict too. This was always one of the reasons I have wanted to be AD free.

No matter how much I dieted or exercised I could not lose weight on Paxil or Lexapro and now I am wondering about the Celexa...It was touted as not being a weight gainer.

I didn't gain weight, but it's very hard to get it off.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

No matter how much I dieted or exercised I could not lose weight on Paxil or Lexapro and now I am wondering about the Celexa...It was touted as not being a weight gainer.

I didn't gain weight, but it's very hard to get it off.

Nikki

Nikki, the secret to losing on any medication is what your friend found.. you need to lose the carbs (pounds will follow). I'm on Lyrica, and first gained 30 lbs with their help, now have lost 60.. well close to, I have TWO pounds to go. (TADA!) I still get compulsive urges whenever I'm around carbs, and I'll need to be careful as long as I'm on a high dose.

I want to get to my target weight of 128lbs. by July 4, when the tomatoes come in and I can make BLTs with sumptous garden tomatoes from my back yard. Still, the two slices of bread will be challenging.. I look at a loaf and don't want a slice but for a whole half.

But I digress... you can lose weight if you turn the huger switch from sugar to salad.. or whatever your veggie preferences are. I am a caregiver for my Dad and he has a murderous sweet tooth.. so I'm constantly exposed.. eek. It can be hard to say no, but when I do, I focus on ready to eat prepared veggie dishes just waiting to be grabbed from my fridge. Not all, but most of the time this works.

This said, losing weight has not been easy, and I've been dieting almost continually since last September. An average loss of 6 lbs a month. I started off at 188 lbs and am now at 130. All I can say is hang in there, you are worth it..

LOL, eat Posted Image NOT Posted Image. Please note, I did not suggest avoiding Posted Image

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy