LotusBlossom: Remeron tapering

LotusBlossom

Hello, I am a 73 yo in good health but trying to taper Remeron after about 20+ years on 30 mg.  It has only been 1 1/2 mos., but now I am off the Remeron and on 20 mg. Elavil which works well for sleep.  When I try to go to drop the Elavil to 10 mg, I get poor sleep.  I also have major GI symptoms:  is it the Elavil, or is it late symptoms of Remeron withdrawal?  Thank you.

4/2/18:  Start taper:  Remeron 30 mg (which I have been on) + Elavil 10 mg

4/5/18:  Remeron 15 mg + Elavil 10 mg

4/16:  Remeron 7.5 + Elavil 20 mg

4/26:  Elavil 20 mg only

4/28:  Elavil 10 mg + Remeron 15 mg.

• Songbird changed the title to LotusBlossom: Remeron Tapering
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi LotusBlossom, welcome to SA.  It sounds like you have been prescribed Elevil to cope with withdrawal symptoms from stopping Remeron.  How did you taper the Remeron down from 30mg?

It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, listing drugs, doses and dates.  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings. 

See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

There is a topic here you can read to find out more about withdrawal:  What is withdrawal syndrome

I will move your post into the Introductions section - each member has one topic to post in all your updates and ask any questions about your situation, kind of like a journal.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to Songbird:  I THINK I created a new "signature"(?) expounding on my withdrawal history, but it does not seem to show up here.  Any suggestion?  Thank you.

Remeron Taper 5:13.docx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LotusBlossom,

Your signature is showing up now. Are you still taking both drugs daily?

Are you wanting to taper off all medication completely? It looks like your doctor gave you Elavil to stop Remeron withdrawal symptoms, it may have worked if you had given it more time before making more changes. It takes at least 4 days for your body to fully register the addition of a neuroactive drug.

You need to be consistent with what you take, jumping around with different drugs and dosages can upset your nervous system and cause unpleasant symptoms. This topic will explain more about how to protect your nervous system while tapering:  

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this topic which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? 

Only taper one drug at a time.

These topics may also be helpful:  Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hello Petunia,  Thank you for that very helpful information and the links you sent.  Yes, I am trying to get off the Remeron by easing symptoms with Elavil (a taper given to me by a psychiatrist).  I hope I am not now getting addicted to Elavil as well. Yikes!  I am going to stay at the 15 mg Remeron and 10 mg Elavil for another week and then try to get off the Elavil.  I may stay on the Remeron till next year.  This is a lot of work!

• 8 months later...

Hello Forum Members:  After months of difficulty trying to taper my Remeron, but triggering rebound insomnia, I finally found the answer and am now sleeping very well on 1/2 dose (15 mg Remeron).  I just wanted to share this with you to give you hope that it is possible, even after 20 years on this drug.  I worked personally with Dr. Greenblatt (author of "Breakthrough Depression Solution").  He had me take several tests (the Organic Acids; Hair Toxins test; and finally gene testing).  It was the last one, the genetic test, that revealed to me what I was doing wrong:  namely, I had adverse effects from the Elavil (which I was using to get off the Remeron!).  In addition, the test revealed that I would do better on a lower dose of Remeron.  Once I resolved those 2 issues, and backing it up with Dr. Greenblatt's excellent nutritional advice, I have had no further problems to speak of.  I highly recommend you read his book which basically tells you most of what you need to know.  Also for anyone on psycotropics, I recommend the gene testing to tell you what drugs will or won't for you.  It will save you a lot of trial and error (and mostly error operating in the dark).  No one should have to suffer so much.  Too bad genetic testing is not yet mainstream (nor is nutritional support of getting off these drugs).  Good luck to you all!

• ChessieCat changed the title to LotusBlossom: Remeron tapering