Lyndsey Weaning off zoloft

Lyndsey

Hello,   I’m new to this and I wanted to see if anyone could help.   I’ve been on Zoloft for a while and in Oct when my father in law got sick my doc upped my dose.   December I had a miscarriage and Feb my father In law passed.   I’ve been dealing with constant nausea.  Last week my doc took me down to 25 mg and this week none.   I woke up yesterday feeling like I had he stomach flu- diarrhea, vomiting and achy.   Has anyone else dealt with this?? 

I started antidepressants in 2017. 

I first started on Parozotine I believe and was on that a few year then my doc changed me to Pristiq for a couple of years and I think I’ve been on the Zoloft for about two years.   I started the Med due to severe nausea which led to no appetite and of course weight loss.

• Altostrata changed the title to Lyndsey Weaning off zoloft
  • Administrator

Welcome, Lyndsey.

You have withdrawal syndrome from going off Zoloft too fast. Do you have any Zoloft left? If I were you, I'd immediately take 25mg again.

Figure on staying at 25mg for at least a month, or until withdrawal symptoms go away. Then you can taper more gradually. Please read

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My doctor was weaning me off zoloft so that I could start on Amitriptyline.    

I was hoping once I started that I would feel better?

I first started on Parozotine I believe and was on that a few year then my doc changed me to Pristiq for a couple of years and I think I’ve been on the Zoloft for about two years.   I started the Med due to severe nausea which led to no appetite and of course weight loss.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lyndsey,  how long have you been taking Zoloft?  Why did your doc want to switch you from Zoloft to Amitriptyline? 

It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, listing drugs, doses and dates.  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings. See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Hi Songbird.    

I hope my signature was added to this.    Basically I get severe nausea which results in no appetite and weight loss.   The nausea makes me depressed because I can’t do things I normally would.   I honestly thing the doc is just trying new things because they can’t figure it out.       I feel like my life is a total mess right now.   I have one great day and then feel awful for a week (even before I started tapering off).

Hi Lyndsey, I don’t know what SA recommends, but could you reinstate until your body is stable and then do a cross taper? I’ve read of people doing that and it keeping their symptoms at bay until they can switch? I only say that because if you can see my signature, switching from one AD to another is not good on your body or brain. I have been on 4 Different medications since January this year and each time I felt I was getting worse. I finally had to stop them to see how I would do. I’m by no means saying don’t do it, you know what is best for your body, I’m just letting you know that I have had a very rough 5 months that I have so much shame and guilt over putting my family through what I have when trying to stabilize and get better. 

Sept 2016 - March 2017 50 mg Zoloft
Aug 2017 20 mg Prozac (lasted 4 days)
Aug 2017- Feb 27, 2018 75 mg Zoloft
Sept 2017 7.5 mg remeron (2 weeks) 
Feb 27, 2018 - March 30, 2018 - 10 mg Lexapro
March 30, 2018- May 2, 2018 Wellbutrin 150 XL

27 minutes ago, RenewedLife said:

Hi Lyndsey, I don’t know what SA recommends, but could you reinstate until your body is stable and then do a cross taper? I’ve read of people doing that and it keeping their symptoms at bay until they can switch? I only say that because if you can see my signature, switching from one AD to another is not good on your body or brain. I have been on 4 Different medications since January this year and each time I felt I was getting worse. I finally had to stop them to see how I would do. I’m by no means saying don’t do it, you know what is best for your body, I’m just letting you know that I have had a very rough 5 months that I have so much shame and guilt over putting my family through what I have when trying to stabilize and get better. 

Thanks for the info.  I just sent my doc a message.   I don’t know what to do at this point.

I’m sorry you are going through this! Do you have a good support system in place to help?? I know what I’ve gone through is so hard on my husband, but when I’m having a really bad day he steps up and helps give me a break. You can get through this, just keep fighting!!

Yes, thanks for asking.   I can’t even explain how amazing my husband has been through this.  He is so understanding and just so sweet about it all. I feel like a terrible wife for putting him through this but he says he knows it will get better and just keeps pushing through.

Good!! I feel the same way when it comes to everything I've put my family through. My saving grace is my son is only 2 and doesn't understand. I've been very thankful for that.

He's right. It will get better!! I have to tell myself that too. It's always easier to give advice or support to someone other than ourselves. At least that's how i feel.

Hopefully your doctor will come back with a good solution and way to help you. If not, I'm sure someone on this site will have very beneficial advice. Everything I have read on here is much more informative than anything my doctor has said. I have started losing faith in doctors after the last 8 months. I went to a new PCP last week who was very nice and did not push ADs on me, but he did make a statement that they were not hard to get off of... The new psych I went to said that your neurotransmitters fix themself within 4 weeks of being off the drugs... Everything I've read says otherwise.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. I will keep following your thread to see how you are doing!! :)

Thanks lady!   

• Moderator Emeritus

I would follow Altostrata's advice above.  I know the nausea is bad, but if you can reinstate and hold and then taper as she suggests, you will find that side effects like nausea generally decrease as you taper and your dose gets lower.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lyndsey, what dose were you on before the doc upped your dose?  What dose did he increase it to?  When did your nausea begin?

Coming off Zoloft so quickly is a recipe for disaster.  Your system has got used to Zoloft and taking it away suddenly is a shock to the system.  It's usually best to reduce dose very slowly over a long time period.  Switching meds is risky - antidepressants often do not cover for each other very well - sometimes it works, but often it does not work or gets people into a worse mess. 

Are you able to reinstate 25mg of Zoloft as Alto suggested?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

I was on 25 before I was switched in October.  The nausea began before I was switched to 50 but was kind of sporadic.  

Now it’s pretty much daily. 

It makes sense for the body to not react well to stopping, it also really sucks.

I spoke with my doc and she said I just stay of the Zoloft and started me on Amitriptyline. 

It did make me sleep well 2 which I haven’t been doing. The past week.     She wants me to try it and come see her in a week.    

I told her if I am still feeling bad after a week that I’d like to see a psychiatrist to try to iron things out. 

Not getting adequate sleep really causes issues for me. I'm glad that it is helping you sleep. Hopefully you can get everything worked out and get back on track. Keep us updated!!

Thank you so much!   

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, Lyndsey said:

I was on 25 before I was switched in October.  The nausea began before I was switched to 50 but was kind of sporadic.  

Now it’s pretty much daily. 

It makes sense for the body to not react well to stopping, it also really sucks.

I spoke with my doc and she said I just stay of the Zoloft and started me on Amitriptyline. 

It did make me sleep well 2 which I haven’t been doing. The past week.     She wants me to try it and come see her in a week.    

I told her if I am still feeling bad after a week that I’d like to see a psychiatrist to try to iron things out. 

Lyndsey, please can you add drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping) to your signature.  I can't understand your signature information - you say you started antidepressants in 2017 but were on paroxetine and pristiq for a few years before Zoloft.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine