EazyE: antidepressant confusion

EazyE

Hi all

I’ve been on various antidepressants for the passed 7 years or so. I started with Effexor at a low dose and slowly got up to 150mg a day. I started to worry about bad brain fog, terrible

Memory and side effects so doctor put me on webutrin. I didn’t feel anything from that drug so he then prescribed Citalopram which I stayed on for a few years. I felt pretty stable on it but slowly my worry about usage, and brain fog re-emerged. He then switched me to Zoloft which I’ve been on for about a year now at 200mg a day. I’m worried that these drugs are just masking my issues and keep me in a zombie state. I was prescribed them initially for really bad depression and aNxiety and they  do help with the anxiety and sort of help the depression.They also help me to sleep which I had lots of problems with before the meds. I had seen some therapists during this time but the free mental health is either a joke or didn’t really help and I couldn’t afford to stick with the paying ones.

I looked into cbt but I find these drugs really affect my drive and motivation. I guess I don’t know what to do at this point or if I should jsut accept and stay on the drugs thanks to the good things they do? I read stuff tho and that scares me about long term use and things on surviving antidepressants. I wish I wasn’t such a head case. My emotions and personal life are also a bit of a mess right now so I don’t know if I can handle life without some meds. Guess I’m wondering if anyone has any tips, advice, recommendations or opinions.

• Moderator Emeritus
30 minutes ago, EazyE said:

I’m worried that these drugs are just masking my issues and keep me in a zombie state. 

I looked into cbt but I find these drugs really affect my drive and motivation. I guess I don’t know what to do at this point or if I should jsut accept and stay on the drugs thanks to the good things they do? 

Hello and welcome to SA. 

It sounds like you're exploring your relationship to these drugs and how they affect you, including tiredness and motivation. 

Coming off is such an individual decision -- we don't really steer people toward coming off (or staying on), but rather offer support for people who decide they want to come off in the safest way possible. It can be done, and there is lots of support here, if that is what you decide to do.

To begin with, it's a good idea to enter all the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html
and copy and paste the results in this topic. 

Also to help us out, please fill out a "signature" using these instructions: Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature 

The issues you raise are really important ones, and ones that a lot of people have been working out and this intro topic is a great place to discuss them.

Welcome to SA.

Edited by SkyBlue

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Altostrata changed the title to EazyE Antidepressant confusion
  • Administrator

Welcome, EazyE.

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

If you want to stay on Zoloft, you might be able to lower your dose, which would reduce the side effects. See Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

There are non-drug techniques to deal with your emotional issues. If you employed them, you may not feel you need the drug any more.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks but I haven't really tapered off of anything yet. I've been on the Zoloft for a year now. Previously I was on the other ones but tapered down with my doctor and always started a new one at the same time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay.

Still, you don't have to be tapering in order to use non-drug coping techniques. 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Please add your signature (info in links above). It sounds like you've had a lot of drug switches which will be important to keep in mind, going forward.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

I know I don’t have to be tapering. I’m looking for some opinions and thoughts/ reflections on my situation and if I should consider tapering judging by the info I gave. I know there are other methods idk where to start on my own.

i also don’t know what you mean about signature, I explained above I don’t have the info besides drug names. I don’t recall all the doses

The only thing I can say is that the longer you are on he pills, the harder it will probably be to come off and the more damage you’ll be doing to your brain and CNS. Also, Ssris are known to blunt feelings of love, compassion, empathy, and emotions in general. My personality was completely erased on SSRIs, as was my sex drive/ability to feel infatuation. Studies show the pills harm relationships and make people “fall out of love.” Other than the fact that you’re damaging your brain, those are some things to take into consideration. I don’t know if you have these problems, but if I were you I’d try to come off Zoloft really really slowly. Multiple studies show those pills work no better than placebos for “mental illnesses”, and they simply burn out serotonin receptors and cause chemical imbalances. You’ve been on them for seven years; I think you should come off now.

Zoloft 50 mg from April 23, 2015 to August 28th, 2016 (1 year, 4 months).

4 week taper. Last dose on August 28, 2016

Mianserin 30 mg in an attempt to reverse PSSD from September 6th, 2017–around mid November 2017 after a few week taper. Did not fix PSSD

Currently taking: Melatonin and magnesium every night.

Thanks for the input. Do you happen to have any links to any of these studies you mentioned? I’d like to review some of the science and maybe talk to my doctor. I want to be functional and not a zombie but I also need some coping skills

Mianserin 30 mg in an attempt to reverse PSSD from September 6th, 2017–around mid November 2017 after a few week taper. Did not fix PSSD

• Moderator Emeritus

This link has cites supporting the 10% taper:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Ok thatnks for the studies. I’m interested in cbt the most. Has anyone here successfully came off ad and switched to cbt and maintained staying off? Is there a success stories section here I can find?

i can read studies all day but some first hand experiences might help me out some too, thanks!

Many people have come off and maintained staying off without CBT, but cbt has proven benefits too. Here is the success stories section:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/forum/28-success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal/

• Administrator

EasyE, you have to decide if brain fog and zombification are the way you want to live. Reducing the dose part-way may reduce the side effects.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I think I kinda do prefer the zombie numbness actually especially compared to all the other crap in my life lately 

oh well

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi EazyE, 

How are you doing? Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to EazyE: antidepressant confusion