Maybe

Muscle and joint stiffness, aches, and pain

Barbarannamated

Vasea,

How's your knee doing?

I just came across a list of odd symptoms that, together, might be clues to adrenal/cortisol dysfunction. Knee pain or weakness was included.

I hesitate to mention this because it seems so obscure, but considering the cortisol fluctuations that are common, I just thought I'd mention the possible connection. I'm not suggesting that you have adrenal problems!

http://m.naturalnews.com/news/024985_cortisol_blood_fatigue.html

I hope you're doing better.

vaseadude

Barb, thanks for sharing this info! and thanks for asking about my knees)

Nowadays my knees are pretty fine. Those symptoms seemed to last for a few days and fade, then maybe appear again. In short, weird..

I've checked your link, and although I dont have all those symptoms I do have sleep disturbances, back pain, and postural hypotension but not the rest. I suspect it's all caused by the AP drug. Can adrenal failure be caused by these drugs, and thus present itself in those symptoms?

Barbarannamated

Vaseadude,

These drugs all interfere with the neuroendocrine feedback loops and cascade of functions at some point, so difficult to determine causation. I thinking it's safe to say that during withdrawal and healing, the neuroendocrine system is attempting to readapt and reach homeostasis.

I just happened to read that article yesterday and then saw your post about knees, so thought I'd mention. Good to hear you're doing better!

vaseadude

Barbara,

Do you think it's possible to somehow naturally mitigate this neuroendocrine imbalance so that our side effects are less severe and we can taper more easily? Or all we have to do is just taper and hope to be better when we are off those meds?

shamaan

Does anybody else has this feeling? It is like a tension,pain whole over my body , it's not pain in my muscles, i could only describe it as my nervous system. I have it always when i "exercise" too much , or when i overdo something.

Mort81

I have a general weakness that feels like I have exercised to much eventhough I havent done exercise in 8 months s , my only pain has been in my gut 

Nomoreheadmeds

Hot burning hips I get which is nothing to do with my back problem.It started right after tapering made worse by overdoing it.

Toulouse

I'm week 4 in being Paxil free, and wanted to know why I am having joint pain, and how this can be a wd effect? I wake up to sore feet, strangely enough. I still am getting tingling in my fingers and in one of toes too. (I've read this is common). Today my left elbow is also in pain as well as both my feet. I've been pretty stiff too, unable to touch my toes as I usually can. Anyone else suffer this through WD?

Toulouse

Thanks for the links. Hoping the aches go away. I want to start exercising again and am afraid of making things worse. 

Petunia

Any kind of exercise you can do will help with the recovery process. If you can't manage your usual workout routine at the moment, something like walking, swimming or yoga may be gentle enough not to make your symptoms worse. Do what you can and build up slowly, if something makes your symptoms worse, stop and try something else for now. Also see:

Exercise: What kind and when is it too much? - Symptoms ...

pocketnurse

Body pain has been a major problem for me too in WD, I am tapering from escitalopram. I suffer mainly with muscle pain but have also experienced joint pain it feels like the kind of myalgia you get when you go down with flu; everything feels kind of inflamed. At the moment I am having stomach muscle issue where I feel my abdo muscles contracting and I find myself standing in a rigid position- very odd. It's like a bad habit as i tend to stand in a very awkward position with the right side of my abdo tense.

I have no doubt very gentle exercise is good but don't work too hard. Epsom salt baths are lovely but don't have the water too hot. I have just bought my fella and me a heated electric blanket for our bed and used it for the first time last night and it was heaven. I told him when he came up to bed he needed to turn it off however he nodded off downstairs and I fell asleep with it on- needless to say I woke up at about 2 am this morning sweating and boiling hot!!!!! 

freespirit

I've had rounds of worsening muscle and joint pain as well. Things that have helped me the most (but not necessarily for everyone) are: swimming, gentle stretching, qi gong, warm baths with epsom salts and/or essential oils, vitamin c and tart cherry supplements. One of the biggest helps was changing my diet, by reducing histamine. Histamine produced a lot of inflammation in my body. I find pain seems to worsen again at change of seasons, especially in the fall. Not sure why, but that's been true for me for a long time..well before wd.

You did mention hives in your thread. Have you looked at food sensitivities and/or the issue of histamine?I had terrible hives when I jumped off, along with other allergic type of symptoms...lower histamine helped with that too. Some people find gluten or dairy to be major contributors to joint pain.

Toulouse

I've had rounds of worsening muscle and joint pain as well. Things that have helped me the most (but not necessarily for everyone) are: swimming, gentle stretching, qi gong, warm baths with epsom salts and/or essential oils, vitamin c and tart cherry supplements. One of the biggest helps was changing my diet, by reducing histamine. Histamine produced a lot of inflammation in my body. I find pain seems to worsen again at change of seasons, especially in the fall. Not sure why, but that's been true for me for a long time..well before wd.

You did mention hives in your thread. Have you looked at food sensitivities and/or the issue of histamine?I had terrible hives when I jumped off, along with other allergic type of symptoms...lower histamine helped with that too. Some people find gluten or dairy to be major contributors to joint pain.

Freespirit - thanks for responding. It sounds like I am experiencing what you have.  Yes, I've become histimine sensitive since tapering down fro Paxil.  I am still enduring it (the sporadic itch almost daily - or a hive here and there, though it has improved since my first outbreak this past summer which ended me up in the ER with anaphylaxis.). And certain foods make it worse. I've been doing more glueten free food and that's helped a lot. Plus no dairy, caffeine or alchohol. (though I hope I can one day enjoy a drink again).  Maybe my joint pain is also a result of the histimines. (coincidentally I too will get joint pain when the seasons change, like now that it's getting colder).  Maybe it's a coincidence or it is tied to the histimines.   Did your hives / histimine intolerance issues go away eventually?

freespirit

I was fortunate not to have anaphylaxis like you did. Things have improved enormously, but there are still foods that I can't eat--garlic, spinach, tomatoes for example. I generally still eat lower in histamine, but do not have to be as careful as I once did. It's been a very long, slow process of doing things to heal my gut, working with a naturopath, chiropractor and acupuncturist to help support the healing, plus very careful and gradual additions of supplements.

I've had a rash on my upper arms for over a year. It isn't itchy and is gradually improving. Hives are more rare now and seem to be more in response to stress or sometimes, treatments, than they are to foods. Foods that are problematic produce more digestive problems, poor sleep, sweating, and mood swings.

Joint pain can be one of the effects of higher histamine. I read somewhere that colder temperatures make the body produce more of it, so it might be one part of the story. I suspect I had issues with histamine for some time...but perhaps underneath, was related more to PTSD and therefore, imbalance of the nervous system long before AD or WD.

A couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed a light beer. The only thing that happened was a tiny bit of bladder irritation the next day. It's not something I'd do very often and was careful around what I ate before and after. It's encouraging though, to feel a bit more like a normal person..I enjoy a drink (as in 1 drink) every now and again. Healing happens, but often very slowly from these drugs.

Toulouse

I was fortunate not to have anaphylaxis like you did. Things have improved enormously, but there are still foods that I can't eat--garlic, spinach, tomatoes for example. I generally still eat lower in histamine, but do not have to be as careful as I once did. It's been a very long, slow process of doing things to heal my gut, working with a naturopath, chiropractor and acupuncturist to help support the healing, plus very careful and gradual additions of supplements.

I've had a rash on my upper arms for over a year. It isn't itchy and is gradually improving. Hives are more rare now and seem to be more in response to stress or sometimes, treatments, than they are to foods. Foods that are problematic produce more digestive problems, poor sleep, sweating, and mood swings.

Joint pain can be one of the effects of higher histamine. I read somewhere that colder temperatures make the body produce more of it, so it might be one part of the story. I suspect I had issues with histamine for some time...but perhaps underneath, was related more to PTSD and therefore, imbalance of the nervous system long before AD or WD.

A couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed a light beer. The only thing that happened was a tiny bit of bladder irritation the next day. It's not something I'd do very often and was careful around what I ate before and after. It's encouraging though, to feel a bit more like a normal person..I enjoy a drink (as in 1 drink) every now and again. Healing happens, but often very slowly from these drugs.

Very insightful, Freespirit, thank you.  I got the anaphylaxis because I think my body overdosed on histimines. I was totally unprepared for the allergic reaction that was slowly buiding for a week. Even when the hives got bad, I just ignored them and went to bed. Only to wake up hours later itching, then feeling dizzy, nauseaus, then sudden b/p drop - which led to my wife calling 911- I belive saved my life. It was so out of the blue.  Had I taken some benadryl, etc, things wouldn't have escalated. But I made matters worse by consuming even MORE high histimine foods and wine that night.  This was around the time I dropped my Paxil from 10 to 5mgs.  I was also suffering acute anxiety (unlike anything I've ever felt in my life) the weeks leading up to that event.   Since then, I've gotten off Paxil completely (1 month and counting), cut caffeine and alchohol and have started doing glueten free.  I think my body is still recovering from the taper and my system is really senstive to histimines (even going outside after the grass was cut triggered some hives).  So, I've been extremely careful what I put into my body.  For some reason this week, I've been getting more rashy-and hivey than the last couple.  I think I've narrowed down wha I've eaten, but I'm not sure entirely.  Today my joints didn't ache - and was a nice improvement at least.  Hopefully I can continue to heal like you.  I think I will, as I've noticed a slow but steady improvement in my overall health this last few weeks.

freespirit

That's great that you're seeing improvement in health already. It took me awhile through diet to settle things down. Some people find antihistamine use to be problematic over the long term. It can deplete DAO, which helps you to digest histamine foods..and also, histamine is produced anyway from digestion alone. I can't take them at all. They provide little relief from the allergy symptoms, and the day after (or longer), my mood is awful. I prefer hives to feeling like that.

Have you read the thread on histamine?

Everyone seems to be a bit different on what they can and can't eat. Stress, including weather changes, can affect that too. I find some things are okay to eat at times, and not others.

Has your anxiety improved too?

Toulouse

I'm the same with antihistamines. I feel like crap / my mood plummets after I take them, the next day too. I seem to handle Claritin better than some others so that's what i'll pop if I have to. And I only will if I see an actual hive. The red blotchy itchy sunburn-looking areas usually go away on their own after an hour.  I have to be careful since ignoring my hives and not treating them lead to my anaphylaxis episode.  Had I treated my symptoms they wouldn't have progressed to the point they did.  But then again, I had no idea how serious the hives were until it was too late. Yes, I believe I read the histamine thread - i'll skim over in case I missed anything - but i've been scouring the net for more information on this since my allergist is a waste of space. 

Edit - My anxiety seems to have been improving too. Right now I'm mostly dealing with physical symptoms of w/d. My head seems okay, though I know not 100%.  My main psych symptom, being easily irritated, has subsided to more of a normal manageable state. 

Edited by Toulouse

Toulouse

Hello everyone. I am 3 months off Paxil and besides having very sensitive skin, possible histamine intolerance (still trying to figure that out), my main issue has been an achey body and joint pain. I thought I could have Rheumatoid Arthritis, but I don't think it's that.  My legs throb and ache a bit when doing a lot of walking. Standing too long kills my feet and lower back.  Edit: I also fell old and creaky getting out of bed, or changing position after sitting in a certain way.  Anyone else experience this, or can explain why this symptom happens to some in WD? It makes no sense to me.  I am hoping it goes away soon because I feel like a 90 yr old man and I'm in my early 40s. I never felt this way pre-WD.

*Edit:  Forgot two other strange issues. My eyes are very sensitive to the the sun. It's so hard to see even with sunglasses. Also my sense of smell is heightened. Everything has a strong odor to me.  Both are very bothersome to me. 

Cheers

pocketnurse

Ho Toulouse.

I can totally relate to aches and pains. I have just got out of bed and I am getting ready for work and my legs are throbbing. Ahes and muscle pains have been a serious issue for me. My legs hurt and feel very irritable I also have back pain and other random pains. Apparantly it's common. When I first wake I am pain free but within minutes it starts, it is like all my nerve endings get fired up. Magnesium is supposed to help and I take it daily. Not sure if it does help as I have contiued taking it. 

No doubt others will be along to give further advice. I am off to work an eight hour shift now- Oh deep joy !!!

Best wishes xx

katieb

I'm currently down to 1.45ml or 2.9 mg paroxatine and doing a micro taper but for the last year and a bit more prob 14 months I have been in pain everyday along with a burning feeling on my neck and shoulders.Im just wondering if this is part of the course ...I'm holding for 6 to 8 weeks in between each drop. Thanks

brassmonkey

Mine develops in my hands and arms and lower legs.  It can be quite debilitating at times.  I really noticed it a lot in the 4-2mg range.   Once under 2mg things have been a lot better.  It sounds like you're doing everything right on your taper, this is just one of those symptoms.  I hope you get a break soon.

DLB

Yes, it can be painful. Many here including me have pain. My tendons and muscles are tight and sore. Every time I went on Paxil or off the pain hit me. Especially in legs and knees. Now it seems body wide after almost 8 months off from a correct taper. It seems some just can't escape it. I'm not totally sure if mine is from Paxil or a previous floxing that caused widespread pain or my autoimmune arthritis.

coldturkmama

Very bad pain.

Down my shins and back. :(

IHadPassion

I have had excruciating pain down my left shin, made substantially worse by climbing stairs or jogging.  There's no way to prove Paxil caused it, but I've never had a similar type of pain nor have I had issues with my shins before and it definitely started the month I quit Paxil.

ladybug99

This is a great thread! At least for me. Right around the time i switched over to liquid prozac from paxil (adverse reaction) to reinstating paxil(liquid, plus went from 20 mg to reinstating 7.5mg) i started getting severe achilles tendonitis. Did everything foot dr told me to do, as well as doing physical therapy. All to no avail. I thought maybe it was the Vit d i had started taking around the same time so stopped that, but the pain persisted. I now can only attribute this pain to the paxil. Recently, I'm noticing that some days the pain isn't as severe. Sorta like waves and windows.

ChessieCat

I don't have time to research it properly at the moment, but I am starting to suspect that aches and pains can possibly be caused by nutrient deficiency.

Junglechicken

I don't have time to research it properly at the moment, but I am starting to suspect that aches and pains can possibly be caused by nutrient deficiency.

Hi CC,

This is really interesting, when you find out more please share.

Many thanks,

JC

NorthAlabama25

I have an issue in my left thigh, if I Stand to long it burns and feels numb, actually it always feels numb, ive had this since I  quit my meds cold turkey 5 years ago, anyone else have a problem like this??

brassmonkey

Sounds like sciatica to me.  Mine originates in the lower back (which usually doesn't hurt) and manifests as burning and numbness in my thighs.  Standing too long frequently sets it of for me.  Stretching and heating pads help a lot.

LexAnger

Numb and pain on left side head to toe started a year ago for me on the way tapering down Lexapro. I'm still on the drug.

It comes and goes most time goes with other sxs and in a day it always is worse in morning.

When did it start for you? It's horrible you are still having it after 5 yrs stopping the med. do you still have any other WD sxs? I was hoping it eventually goes away when the WD ends.

Toulouse

Has anyone felt tingling in their spine? Yesterday I felt a tingling near my tail bone. I sit all day for work, so figured maybe I sat wrong, but now I'm thinking it's something else. I'm not sure this is the right thread.

Happy2Heal

synopsis since I haven't updated my signature yer:
I was tapering off lexapro, got switched to the liquid, was at 2.5mgs, and life happened, I wasn't able to take the dose daily, and ended up basically jumping off at 2.5mgs

I tried to re instate at a 2mgs but it was bad, very bad

I have been managing ok, just some insomnia, not bad, some ears ringing and vision issues, some emotional ups and downs, not bad, and that temp dis-regulation thing- I go from hot to cold to normal for no reason, not fond of that, but it's tolerable

however, I now have PAIN and I do not tolerate pain well.

Almost all of my muscles hurt

it is hard to walk, it's even painful to sit

I take 200mgs of celebrex daily and so I can't add any OTC pain meds

I am wondering if this is something I need to get checked out by a doc, or if this is a normal WD symptom

If it's WD, what helps? anything?

i am tired all the time from the pain and/or from holding my breath, something I tend to do when I'm in pain (or angry LOL)
I have notes all over my apt reminding me to BREATHE LOL

I was in the woods a few weeks ago and there's a chance I was bit by a tick but I don't know, is pain a symptom of Lyme disease?

LexAnger

Hi Catnap,

So so sorry to hear your suffering too!

I'm 100% sure it's from WD of Lexopro!

I'm still tapering now at 2.4mg, each drop of 0.03 mg every 10 days would cause severe pain allover my head, face, ear, neck, shoulder, pins and needles, pricking, aches, back pain for a few days before changing to other symptoms with brain dead, severe sedation, brain on fire, swelling on head, hands etc.

walking (on trade mail as I can't walk otherwise without holding to the handles), swimming seems the only things helps a bit. I feel my body is misfiring electricities and the soothing water on entire body helps with that then lessons the pain.

Is there a daily pattern of your pain? Mine is always less in evening.

SquirrellyGirl

It's doubtful that the tick bite caused this, since it takes time for Lyme's disease to manifest itself this way.  Was the tick bite before the reinstatement?  Are you in a Lymes area?  Did you find the tick shortly after it bit you?  It takes 24 hours for the tick to transmit Lymes and other tick borne disease.

There is no harm in going to the doctor to eliminate Lymes as a possibility, since that is one you don't want to go chronic.

SG