Muscle and joint stiffness, aches, pain or weakness

Maybe

Vasea,

How's your knee doing?

I just came across a list of odd symptoms that, together, might be clues to adrenal/cortisol dysfunction. Knee pain or weakness was included.

I hesitate to mention this because it seems so obscure, but considering the cortisol fluctuations that are common, I just thought I'd mention the possible connection. I'm not suggesting that you have adrenal problems!

http://m.naturalnews.com/news/024985_cortisol_blood_fatigue.html

I hope you're doing better.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Barb, thanks for sharing this info! and thanks for asking about my knees)

Nowadays my knees are pretty fine. Those symptoms seemed to last for a few days and fade, then maybe appear again. In short, weird..

I've checked your link, and although I dont have all those symptoms I do have sleep disturbances, back pain, and postural hypotension but not the rest. I suspect it's all caused by the AP drug. Can adrenal failure be caused by these drugs, and thus present itself in those symptoms?

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

Vaseadude,

These drugs all interfere with the neuroendocrine feedback loops and cascade of functions at some point, so difficult to determine causation. I thinking it's safe to say that during withdrawal and healing, the neuroendocrine system is attempting to readapt and reach homeostasis.

I just happened to read that article yesterday and then saw your post about knees, so thought I'd mention. Good to hear you're doing better!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Barbara,

Do you think it's possible to somehow naturally mitigate this neuroendocrine imbalance so that our side effects are less severe and we can taper more easily? Or all we have to do is just taper and hope to be better when we are off those meds?

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

• 2 years later...

Does anybody else has this feeling? It is like a tension,pain whole over my body , it's not pain in my muscles, i could only describe it as my nervous system. I have it always when i "exercise" too much , or when i overdo something.

Effexor free for 36 months. Still on 25mg of Solian.

Tapering Xanax and on a dose of 0,15mg , splitted in four doses.

Last reductions:
9/06: 1.875%
7/07: 2.5%

22/07: 1.96%

I have a general weakness that feels like I have exercised to much eventhough I havent done exercise in 8 months s , my only pain has been in my gut 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 3 months later...

Hot burning hips I get which is nothing to do with my back problem.It started right after tapering made worse by overdoing it.

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• 1 month later...

I'm week 4 in being Paxil free, and wanted to know why I am having joint pain, and how this can be a wd effect? I wake up to sore feet, strangely enough. I still am getting tingling in my fingers and in one of toes too. (I've read this is common). Today my left elbow is also in pain as well as both my feet. I've been pretty stiff too, unable to touch my toes as I usually can. Anyone else suffer this through WD?

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

• Moderator Emeritus

These kinds of symptoms are common, see:

Joint Issues - Surviving Antidepressants (topics merged)

Tension and pain in muscles and joints - Symptoms and self ...

Edited by Petunia
updated

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks for the links. Hoping the aches go away. I want to start exercising again and am afraid of making things worse. 

20mg in 2014

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

• Moderator Emeritus

Any kind of exercise you can do will help with the recovery process. If you can't manage your usual workout routine at the moment, something like walking, swimming or yoga may be gentle enough not to make your symptoms worse. Do what you can and build up slowly, if something makes your symptoms worse, stop and try something else for now. Also see:

Exercise: What kind and when is it too much? - Symptoms ...

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Body pain has been a major problem for me too in WD, I am tapering from escitalopram. I suffer mainly with muscle pain but have also experienced joint pain it feels like the kind of myalgia you get when you go down with flu; everything feels kind of inflamed. At the moment I am having stomach muscle issue where I feel my abdo muscles contracting and I find myself standing in a rigid position- very odd. It's like a bad habit as i tend to stand in a very awkward position with the right side of my abdo tense.

I have no doubt very gentle exercise is good but don't work too hard. Epsom salt baths are lovely but don't have the water too hot. I have just bought my fella and me a heated electric blanket for our bed and used it for the first time last night and it was heaven. I told him when he came up to bed he needed to turn it off however he nodded off downstairs and I fell asleep with it on- needless to say I woke up at about 2 am this morning sweating and boiling hot!!!!! 

1995-1998 various SSRIs then withdrawal

2000 Sertraline

2003 Sertraline then changed to Prozac to attempt withdrawal.

2004 failed at withdrawal so Citalopram.

2010 attempted slow withdrawal over 12 months but failed- sever episode depression 2012

2012 3 days of Mirtazepine with bad reaction so started escitalopram 20mgs

2013 started very very slow taper with a number of slight reinstatements

Currently on between 0.5 and 1mg escitalopram drops at day.

I've had rounds of worsening muscle and joint pain as well. Things that have helped me the most (but not necessarily for everyone) are: swimming, gentle stretching, qi gong, warm baths with epsom salts and/or essential oils, vitamin c and tart cherry supplements. One of the biggest helps was changing my diet, by reducing histamine. Histamine produced a lot of inflammation in my body. I find pain seems to worsen again at change of seasons, especially in the fall. Not sure why, but that's been true for me for a long time..well before wd.

You did mention hives in your thread. Have you looked at food sensitivities and/or the issue of histamine?I had terrible hives when I jumped off, along with other allergic type of symptoms...lower histamine helped with that too. Some people find gluten or dairy to be major contributors to joint pain.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

I've had rounds of worsening muscle and joint pain as well. Things that have helped me the most (but not necessarily for everyone) are: swimming, gentle stretching, qi gong, warm baths with epsom salts and/or essential oils, vitamin c and tart cherry supplements. One of the biggest helps was changing my diet, by reducing histamine. Histamine produced a lot of inflammation in my body. I find pain seems to worsen again at change of seasons, especially in the fall. Not sure why, but that's been true for me for a long time..well before wd.

You did mention hives in your thread. Have you looked at food sensitivities and/or the issue of histamine?I had terrible hives when I jumped off, along with other allergic type of symptoms...lower histamine helped with that too. Some people find gluten or dairy to be major contributors to joint pain.

Freespirit - thanks for responding. It sounds like I am experiencing what you have.  Yes, I've become histimine sensitive since tapering down fro Paxil.  I am still enduring it (the sporadic itch almost daily - or a hive here and there, though it has improved since my first outbreak this past summer which ended me up in the ER with anaphylaxis.). And certain foods make it worse. I've been doing more glueten free food and that's helped a lot. Plus no dairy, caffeine or alchohol. (though I hope I can one day enjoy a drink again).  Maybe my joint pain is also a result of the histimines. (coincidentally I too will get joint pain when the seasons change, like now that it's getting colder).  Maybe it's a coincidence or it is tied to the histimines.   Did your hives / histimine intolerance issues go away eventually?

20mg in 2014

I was fortunate not to have anaphylaxis like you did. Things have improved enormously, but there are still foods that I can't eat--garlic, spinach, tomatoes for example. I generally still eat lower in histamine, but do not have to be as careful as I once did. It's been a very long, slow process of doing things to heal my gut, working with a naturopath, chiropractor and acupuncturist to help support the healing, plus very careful and gradual additions of supplements.

I've had a rash on my upper arms for over a year. It isn't itchy and is gradually improving. Hives are more rare now and seem to be more in response to stress or sometimes, treatments, than they are to foods. Foods that are problematic produce more digestive problems, poor sleep, sweating, and mood swings.

Joint pain can be one of the effects of higher histamine. I read somewhere that colder temperatures make the body produce more of it, so it might be one part of the story. I suspect I had issues with histamine for some time...but perhaps underneath, was related more to PTSD and therefore, imbalance of the nervous system long before AD or WD.

A couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed a light beer. The only thing that happened was a tiny bit of bladder irritation the next day. It's not something I'd do very often and was careful around what I ate before and after. It's encouraging though, to feel a bit more like a normal person..I enjoy a drink (as in 1 drink) every now and again. Healing happens, but often very slowly from these drugs.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

I was fortunate not to have anaphylaxis like you did. Things have improved enormously, but there are still foods that I can't eat--garlic, spinach, tomatoes for example. I generally still eat lower in histamine, but do not have to be as careful as I once did. It's been a very long, slow process of doing things to heal my gut, working with a naturopath, chiropractor and acupuncturist to help support the healing, plus very careful and gradual additions of supplements.

I've had a rash on my upper arms for over a year. It isn't itchy and is gradually improving. Hives are more rare now and seem to be more in response to stress or sometimes, treatments, than they are to foods. Foods that are problematic produce more digestive problems, poor sleep, sweating, and mood swings.

Joint pain can be one of the effects of higher histamine. I read somewhere that colder temperatures make the body produce more of it, so it might be one part of the story. I suspect I had issues with histamine for some time...but perhaps underneath, was related more to PTSD and therefore, imbalance of the nervous system long before AD or WD.

A couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed a light beer. The only thing that happened was a tiny bit of bladder irritation the next day. It's not something I'd do very often and was careful around what I ate before and after. It's encouraging though, to feel a bit more like a normal person..I enjoy a drink (as in 1 drink) every now and again. Healing happens, but often very slowly from these drugs.

Very insightful, Freespirit, thank you.  I got the anaphylaxis because I think my body overdosed on histimines. I was totally unprepared for the allergic reaction that was slowly buiding for a week. Even when the hives got bad, I just ignored them and went to bed. Only to wake up hours later itching, then feeling dizzy, nauseaus, then sudden b/p drop - which led to my wife calling 911- I belive saved my life. It was so out of the blue.  Had I taken some benadryl, etc, things wouldn't have escalated. But I made matters worse by consuming even MORE high histimine foods and wine that night.  This was around the time I dropped my Paxil from 10 to 5mgs.  I was also suffering acute anxiety (unlike anything I've ever felt in my life) the weeks leading up to that event.   Since then, I've gotten off Paxil completely (1 month and counting), cut caffeine and alchohol and have started doing glueten free.  I think my body is still recovering from the taper and my system is really senstive to histimines (even going outside after the grass was cut triggered some hives).  So, I've been extremely careful what I put into my body.  For some reason this week, I've been getting more rashy-and hivey than the last couple.  I think I've narrowed down wha I've eaten, but I'm not sure entirely.  Today my joints didn't ache - and was a nice improvement at least.  Hopefully I can continue to heal like you.  I think I will, as I've noticed a slow but steady improvement in my overall health this last few weeks.

20mg in 2014

That's great that you're seeing improvement in health already. It took me awhile through diet to settle things down. Some people find antihistamine use to be problematic over the long term. It can deplete DAO, which helps you to digest histamine foods..and also, histamine is produced anyway from digestion alone. I can't take them at all. They provide little relief from the allergy symptoms, and the day after (or longer), my mood is awful. I prefer hives to feeling like that.

Have you read the thread on histamine?

Everyone seems to be a bit different on what they can and can't eat. Stress, including weather changes, can affect that too. I find some things are okay to eat at times, and not others.

Has your anxiety improved too?

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

I'm the same with antihistamines. I feel like crap / my mood plummets after I take them, the next day too. I seem to handle Claritin better than some others so that's what i'll pop if I have to. And I only will if I see an actual hive. The red blotchy itchy sunburn-looking areas usually go away on their own after an hour.  I have to be careful since ignoring my hives and not treating them lead to my anaphylaxis episode.  Had I treated my symptoms they wouldn't have progressed to the point they did.  But then again, I had no idea how serious the hives were until it was too late. Yes, I believe I read the histamine thread - i'll skim over in case I missed anything - but i've been scouring the net for more information on this since my allergist is a waste of space. 

Edit - My anxiety seems to have been improving too. Right now I'm mostly dealing with physical symptoms of w/d. My head seems okay, though I know not 100%.  My main psych symptom, being easily irritated, has subsided to more of a normal manageable state. 

Edited by Toulouse

20mg in 2014

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone. I am 3 months off Paxil and besides having very sensitive skin, possible histamine intolerance (still trying to figure that out), my main issue has been an achey body and joint pain. I thought I could have Rheumatoid Arthritis, but I don't think it's that.  My legs throb and ache a bit when doing a lot of walking. Standing too long kills my feet and lower back.  Edit: I also fell old and creaky getting out of bed, or changing position after sitting in a certain way.  Anyone else experience this, or can explain why this symptom happens to some in WD? It makes no sense to me.  I am hoping it goes away soon because I feel like a 90 yr old man and I'm in my early 40s. I never felt this way pre-WD.

*Edit:  Forgot two other strange issues. My eyes are very sensitive to the the sun. It's so hard to see even with sunglasses. Also my sense of smell is heightened. Everything has a strong odor to me.  Both are very bothersome to me. 

Cheers

20mg in 2014

Ho Toulouse.

I can totally relate to aches and pains. I have just got out of bed and I am getting ready for work and my legs are throbbing. Ahes and muscle pains have been a serious issue for me. My legs hurt and feel very irritable I also have back pain and other random pains. Apparantly it's common. When I first wake I am pain free but within minutes it starts, it is like all my nerve endings get fired up. Magnesium is supposed to help and I take it daily. Not sure if it does help as I have contiued taking it. 

No doubt others will be along to give further advice. I am off to work an eight hour shift now- Oh deep joy !!!

Best wishes xx

1995-1998 various SSRIs then withdrawal

2000 Sertraline

2003 Sertraline then changed to Prozac to attempt withdrawal.

2004 failed at withdrawal so Citalopram.

2010 attempted slow withdrawal over 12 months but failed- sever episode depression 2012

2012 3 days of Mirtazepine with bad reaction so started escitalopram 20mgs

2013 started very very slow taper with a number of slight reinstatements

Currently on between 0.5 and 1mg escitalopram drops at day.

I'm currently down to 1.45ml or 2.9 mg paroxatine and doing a micro taper but for the last year and a bit more prob 14 months I have been in pain everyday along with a burning feeling on my neck and shoulders.Im just wondering if this is part of the course ...I'm holding for 6 to 8 weeks in between each drop. Thanks

Been taking paroxatine for approx 15 years.Tried a few times yo stop but failed. Am currently on 3.5mg liquid

Jan 2016 been slow tapering paroxatine and i am currently at 2.9 mg and last drop was 5 weeks ago.

Started to feel awful about 3 weeks ago with brain ???? , shakes, blurred vision and dizzyness. ..

Mine develops in my hands and arms and lower legs.  It can be quite debilitating at times.  I really noticed it a lot in the 4-2mg range.   Once under 2mg things have been a lot better.  It sounds like you're doing everything right on your taper, this is just one of those symptoms.  I hope you get a break soon.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Yes, it can be painful. Many here including me have pain. My tendons and muscles are tight and sore. Every time I went on Paxil or off the pain hit me. Especially in legs and knees. Now it seems body wide after almost 8 months off from a correct taper. It seems some just can't escape it. I'm not totally sure if mine is from Paxil or a previous floxing that caused widespread pain or my autoimmune arthritis.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

Very bad pain.

Down my shins and back. :(

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

I have had excruciating pain down my left shin, made substantially worse by climbing stairs or jogging.  There's no way to prove Paxil caused it, but I've never had a similar type of pain nor have I had issues with my shins before and it definitely started the month I quit Paxil.

Year 0:      Social anxiety, obsessive thoughts, NO depression, NO suicidal ideations

Years 1-2: Ativan (benzo) <1mg as needed, not abused but developed physical dependence

Years 2-3: Paxil (20mg) augmented with Adderall XR (10-20mg) due to withdrawal from Ativan

Years 3-Present: Severe depression, headaches, psychiatric hospitalization, lost job, etc.

This is a great thread! At least for me. Right around the time i switched over to liquid prozac from paxil (adverse reaction) to reinstating paxil(liquid, plus went from 20 mg to reinstating 7.5mg) i started getting severe achilles tendonitis. Did everything foot dr told me to do, as well as doing physical therapy. All to no avail. I thought maybe it was the Vit d i had started taking around the same time so stopped that, but the pain persisted. I now can only attribute this pain to the paxil. Recently, I'm noticing that some days the pain isn't as severe. Sorta like waves and windows.

ADs for approx 20 yrs.

Klonopin .05mg 2009-2013 Last dose Aug 2013

APRIL 21, 2015: switched from Paxil cr 25mg (equiv to 20. mg regular paxil) to liquid Prozac 20 mg. Took prozac for 5 weeks. Didn't work.

MAY 21. 2015: switched back to Paxil - liquid 5mg for 1 week. Then upped to 7.5. Waiting to stabilize at this.

Tapered off prozac in 2 weeks.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't have time to research it properly at the moment, but I am starting to suspect that aches and pains can possibly be caused by nutrient deficiency.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have time to research it properly at the moment, but I am starting to suspect that aches and pains can possibly be caused by nutrient deficiency.

Hi CC,

This is really interesting, when you find out more please share.

Many thanks,

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 3 weeks later...

I have an issue in my left thigh, if I Stand to long it burns and feels numb, actually it always feels numb, ive had this since I  quit my meds cold turkey 5 years ago, anyone else have a problem like this??

Sounds like sciatica to me.  Mine originates in the lower back (which usually doesn't hurt) and manifests as burning and numbness in my thighs.  Standing too long frequently sets it of for me.  Stretching and heating pads help a lot.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Numb and pain on left side head to toe started a year ago for me on the way tapering down Lexapro. I'm still on the drug.

It comes and goes most time goes with other sxs and in a day it always is worse in morning.

When did it start for you? It's horrible you are still having it after 5 yrs stopping the med. do you still have any other WD sxs? I was hoping it eventually goes away when the WD ends.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 3 months later...

Has anyone felt tingling in their spine? Yesterday I felt a tingling near my tail bone. I sit all day for work, so figured maybe I sat wrong, but now I'm thinking it's something else. I'm not sure this is the right thread.

20mg in 2014

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

synopsis since I haven't updated my signature yer:
I was tapering off lexapro, got switched to the liquid, was at 2.5mgs, and life happened, I wasn't able to take the dose daily, and ended up basically jumping off at 2.5mgs

I tried to re instate at a 2mgs but it was bad, very bad

I have been managing ok, just some insomnia, not bad, some ears ringing and vision issues, some emotional ups and downs, not bad, and that temp dis-regulation thing- I go from hot to cold to normal for no reason, not fond of that, but it's tolerable

however, I now have PAIN and I do not tolerate pain well.

Almost all of my muscles hurt

it is hard to walk, it's even painful to sit

I take 200mgs of celebrex daily and so I can't add any OTC pain meds

I am wondering if this is something I need to get checked out by a doc, or if this is a normal WD symptom

If it's WD, what helps? anything?

i am tired all the time from the pain and/or from holding my breath, something I tend to do when I'm in pain (or angry LOL)
I have notes all over my apt reminding me to BREATHE LOL

I was in the woods a few weeks ago and there's a chance I was bit by a tick but I don't know, is pain a symptom of Lyme disease?

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Hi Catnap,

So so sorry to hear your suffering too!

I'm 100% sure it's from WD of Lexopro!

I'm still tapering now at 2.4mg, each drop of 0.03 mg every 10 days would cause severe pain allover my head, face, ear, neck, shoulder, pins and needles, pricking, aches, back pain for a few days before changing to other symptoms with brain dead, severe sedation, brain on fire, swelling on head, hands etc.

walking (on trade mail as I can't walk otherwise without holding to the handles), swimming seems the only things helps a bit. I feel my body is misfiring electricities and the soothing water on entire body helps with that then lessons the pain.

Is there a daily pattern of your pain? Mine is always less in evening.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Moderator Emeritus

It's doubtful that the tick bite caused this, since it takes time for Lyme's disease to manifest itself this way.  Was the tick bite before the reinstatement?  Are you in a Lymes area?  Did you find the tick shortly after it bit you?  It takes 24 hours for the tick to transmit Lymes and other tick borne disease.

There is no harm in going to the doctor to eliminate Lymes as a possibility, since that is one you don't want to go chronic.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's a quick link for Lyme if you haven't already done your research:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lyme-disease/basics/symptoms/con-20019701

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy