SorryImNormal I am afraid to trust psychiatry

SorryImNormal

Been in and out of the mental health inc. system for 20 years.  I feel like at this point, if something had worked so well, I wouldn't have been off it.  My biggest problem is that, as an industry, they refuse to take responsibility for the damage caused.  It goes like this (in America at least).  Control and run as many 'studies' as you want.  Convince the same people who use to work at your giant pharma company to approve your drug.  Keep prescribers in the dark and only educate them via drug reps and expensive conferences. 

Provide every incentive and inducement to sell as many drugs as possible.  Refer all patient inquiries to the pharma company back to the doctor.  Refer all legal challenges back to the same rigged drug studies that approved the drug in the first place.  Convince prescribers that if it wasn't in a rigged drug study for 8 weeks it 'doesn't exist'.  Reinforce this doctrine by controlling the regulatory mechanisms thus making legal action fruitless.  And if by chance you are going to win in court, make them settle out of court and sign an NDA.

It would be like if you let the Pittsburgh Steelers write the rule book that the referee uses to officiate the same game they are playing in.  Prescribers aren't even open to the idea that the drug is what is causing X symptom.  And then if there is any permanent or lasting damage, you are basically on your own.  

I also love the throw-away line 'everyone's brain is different'.  The whole point of science is to categorize and elucidate the 'differences' in a systematic and rigorous way.  Instead we get 8 weeks of 'it's better than nothing (placebo)' and shove it out into the market.  I bet you could devise a study where people went on vacation or group therapy or whatever for 8 weeks and it would be 'better than nothing'.  It also wouldn't have side effects.   

1996-2018

paxil prozac zoloft cymbalta effexor trazodone wellbutrin methylphenidate amitriptyline desipramine doxepin seroquel buspar clonazepam depakote(high doses) geodon lamictal neurontin strattera escitalopram.  Some of these drugs I have been on multiple times.  It is hard to remember. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Well put, SorryImNormal.

We are a site for helping people taper off psychiatric drugs.  Can we help you with that?

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.
Please include the dates of your taper, the rate at which you tapered, and whether you did every-other-day dosing.  Please keep your signature as simple and easy to read as possible.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I was flirting with the idea of starting up on an SSRI again and that is why I made my post.  Hoping to have my experience validated and find like-minded people.  If this is the wrong forum for that I apologize.  I am not currently on any psychological medications. 

1996-2018

paxil prozac zoloft cymbalta effexor trazodone wellbutrin methylphenidate amitriptyline desipramine doxepin seroquel buspar clonazepam depakote(high doses) geodon lamictal neurontin strattera escitalopram.  Some of these drugs I have been on multiple times.  It is hard to remember. 

18 hours ago, SorryImNormal said:

I also love the throw-away line 'everyone's brain is different'.  The whole point of science is to categorize and elucidate the 'differences' in a systematic and rigorous way.  Instead we get 8 weeks of 'it's better than nothing (placebo)' and shove it out into the market.  I bet you could devise a study where people went on vacation or group therapy or whatever for 8 weeks and it would be 'better than nothing'.  It also wouldn't have side effects.   

Like minded me.

' It also won't have its effects'.

How r u ?

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

I myself have been off antidepressants (specifically Escitalopram) for 1 year.

In some ways I'm feeling better, in some ways I'm not.

The most concerning thing for me is that it feels like I'm missing a part of my brain... like a part of my brain has been "fried", and yet doctors say "depression can cause that"; but it's almost directly correlated to when I stopped taking my SSRIs.

Even when I was "depressed" before taking SSRIs, it never felt as my brain was fried; but now it still feel it does.

The only thing keeping me going are the success stories here, where it took some people 2-3 years to see a substantial recovery.

Hoping my brain will recover somewhat around that time frame.

I wish us all luck.

~2008: Started escitalopram (Cipralex) 10mg

~2012: Tried stopping for 3 months, eventually relapsed.

~2013-2014: escitalopram (Cipralex) 20mg, Ritalin 10mg

~2015: escitalopram (Cipralex) 10mg only

~2017: Was dosing 5-10 mg, then stopped completely cold-turkey in May 2017.

Overall, a ~9-year course of escitalopram (Cipralex/Lexapro).

SorryImNormal,

What symptoms are you having that make you want to try another drug?

You should be concerned.  It seems to me that the first experience with psychiatric drugs may be survived relatively easily by some people.  However, each successive attempt to use the drugs in the amounts prescribed by doctors irritates the central nervous system and risks destabilizing the parasympathic nervous system.  If you have tried the drugs before the risk of a bad reaction or a difficult attempt to quit the drugs is more likely.  It's possible that bad side effects are more likely.  No one knows why this seems to be the case, but it is for some people.  No one knows how to determine which people.  Most doctors have no knowledge of this issue or interest in investigating this issue.  

The exception to the above is when a person is in withdrawal from a drug.   If that is the case, a very small amount of the prior drug might -- MIGHT -- help, but please ask for advice on "reinstating" here.  Deciding to reinstate is a decision that must be made very carefully.  A Moderator can help you by telling you what factors to consider.  Could you please fill out a "drug signature" that tells us what you took and at what dose, and when -- dates from start to stop -- for each drug?  Please follow this link: 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/settings/signature/

Please read Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker before you try another psych drug.  If you do try again DO NOT try a drug other than the one you were last on without asking for advice here.  It's possible that you are in withdrawal from the last drug you took and replacing it with a different one might cause you to feel worse than you do now..  If you post here what drug you took, when, for how long and what symptoms you are having that make you want to take drugs the Moderator may be able to help you decide whether to "reinstate" -- take a very small ampunt of the drug you used to take.  (He/she might have a suggestion for a different drug to try -- in a very small amount -- if for some reason the prior drug is not possible for you due to some special issue.)

Wishing you luck, Rosetta

Also, see this information to help you manage your feelings and avoid drugs:. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Altostrata changed the title to SorryImNormal I am afraid to trust psychiatry
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sorry, welcome from me too.   We can't offer advice about starting psych drugs except for reinstatement in withdrawal as Rosetta explained.  You wrote an excellent post and I am surprised that you are flirting with the idea of starting another SSRI.  Most people here will tell you to turn away, to banish the thought.  Flirting with SSRIs is like flirting with a person who will destroy who you are , bleed you dry and never loosen the grip. A post by our Jancarol likens it to a marriage to a totally unsuitable person, you believe the lies then suffer the consequences and find it almost impossible to escape.  

Unless you are in withdrawal, then a tiny dose of the drug that was stopped can relieve that withdrawal.  How long is it since you took any psychiatric drugs?  Withdrawal can last a long time unfortunately. 

Edited by mammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

1 hour ago, mammaP said:

Hi Sorry, welcome from me too.   We can't offer advice about starting psych drugs except for reinstatement in withdrawal as Rosetta explained.  You wrote an excellent post and I am surprised that you are flirting with the idea of starting another SSRI.  Most people here will tell you to turn away, to banish the thought.

The only reason I was thinking about it, is because, after 9 years of traditional therapy I find out I dissociate because of PTSD and complex trauma.  I will update my signature with everything I have been on.  Paxil was my most successful drug.  It makes you numb.  I figured it might give me relief.  I was on paxilprogress back in the day and read my first Dr. Breggin book in the early 2000s.  I know the science is essentially a fraud but my American society doesn't offer anything else.  It is really a chilling expose.  No group therapy (insurance won't pay for it) no psychiatric rehabilitation (insurance will only pay for drug rehab) and you have an entire industry, and the power structure that supports it, that has convinced everyone it is a 'chemical imbalance'.  That way no one in society, or the family, or any other group, has to examine their behavior in the group dynamic, and nothing ever changes.    

I also wrote my post to check my own experience and perception.  I've never met a provider open to any of these ideas -nor a therapist or anyone else.  And I come from an environment where I was taught to not trust what was right in front of my face.  Hence why I reached out to this forum, just to make sure. 

Oh and to clarify what I am on now.  I have not been on a 'reuptake anything' drug in around 6 years.  I take ritalin for adhd and that is it. 

1996-2018

7 minutes ago, SorryImNormal said:

The only reason I was thinking about it, is because, after 9 years of traditional therapy I find out I dissociate because of PTSD and complex trauma.  I will update my signature with everything I have been on.  Paxil was my most successful drug.  It makes you numb.  I figured it might give me relief.  I was on paxilprogress back in the day and read my first Dr. Breggin book in the early 2000s.  I know the science is essentially a fraud but my American society doesn't offer anything else.  It is really a chilling expose.  No group therapy (insurance won't pay for it) no psychiatric rehabilitation (insurance will only pay for drug rehab) and you have an entire industry, and the power structure that supports it, that has convinced everyone it is a 'chemical imbalance'.  That way no one in society, or the family, or any other group, has to examine their behavior in the group dynamic, and nothing ever changes.    

I also wrote my post to check my own experience and perception.  I've never met a provider open to any of these ideas -nor a therapist or anyone else.  And I come from an environment where I was taught to not trust what was right in front of my face.  Hence why I reached out to this forum, just to make sure. 

Hi SIN welcome to SA ,by reading your posts you've obviously done your homework before coming here .there is a huge movement against psychiatry and its lack of  quality results .

Since your well aware of the system and your educating yourself I think its safe to recommend a few sites .madinamerica,com ,youl find this interesting if your not aware of it already .

Spartanlifecoach.com and youl find him on YouTube also.it will take a good while to get used to this guy ,hes far from any conventional professional you've seen  but he's great at what he does .

He is very active lately .youl be surprised by all the information he  gives .he does work on PTSD and CPTSD also ,im slowly understanding myself better from he's material .

Of course im not saying this will "cure " anything but if you spent time in traditional therapy with no results ,give it a look .its the system and not your fault .you system is  obviously dissociating for a valid reason  and he actually says about not being able to absorb therapy when your disassociating  .

Take care and feel free to ask me questions and ile help if I can .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

4 minutes ago, powerback said:

Hi SIN welcome to SA ,by reading your posts you've obviously done your homework before coming here .

Thank you for that information.  Yes I have read 'the epidemic' book and do visit his website from time to time.  I also listed to Dr. Breggin's radio show -mostly for his guests since I already know his views.  I might have be willing to 'trust the system' but they aren't willing to do any self examination, nor will they accept any data outside of 'what they already know to be true'.  In other words, I understand that with a modern complex system, that not all eventualities or results can be predicted in advance.  The truth is though, that if they did agree to collaborate (instead of dictate) the system would collapse from its own bullsh*t.    

1996-2018

2 minutes ago, SorryImNormal said:

Thank you for that information.  Yes I have read 'the epidemic' book and do visit his website from time to time.  I also listed to Dr. Breggin's radio show -mostly for his guests since I already know his views.  I might have be willing to 'trust the system' but they aren't willing to do any self examination, nor will they accept any data outside of 'what they already know to be true'.  In other words, I understand that with a modern complex system, that not all eventualities or results can be predicted in advance.  The truth is though, that if they did agree to collaborate (instead of dictate) the system would collapse from its own bullsh*t.    

I agree wholeheartedly  ,the system as it is today and the last 50 years is predicated on some very shaky/crumbling  foundations ,in the last 5 years there is a shifting to people waking up .I haven't listened to peters podcast in a while ,how that man stayed alive in all these years taking on the system like he has is beyond me .

peter says it himself ,its just way to painful to face up to rhetoric they have spun and GPs mostly regurgitate what a pharma rep has told them .the power of humans to ignore and lie to ones self is very strong and they all do it .my own GP follows Eckhart tolle and in turn will prescribe meds for the first bit of distress he sees ,simply mindboggling .

Take care ,

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

I went to an integrative MD.  She told me I am 'highly dysregulated'.  To give you some sort of idea, I can drink 6 liters of Gatorade per day.  Yes my kidneys and ACTH and everything else are 'normal'.  I had a free running circadian rythm for over a year.  I fixed it with a 5 dollar bottle of Melatonin.  My 3pm saliva cortisol is literally off the scale.  Stuff I have found the most helpful:  bioidentical thyroid, cortisol manager, kavinace.  The cortisol manager stopped me from waking up so hungry I couldn't go back to sleep.  I also worked with another holistic MD.  I tried a ton of stuff, one of which was licorice root.  She told me to increase it and it just made me drink more fluid.  I was convinced at that point I needed an expert in hormones.  Once I am financially able I will resume treatment. 

1996-2018

• Administrator

The above was TMI in the dysautonomia topic.

6 liters of Gatorade a day seems excessive, it can cause electrolyte imbalance. Saliva cortisol is not a very useful measurement.

Are you taking thyroid hormone and Kavinace? What cortisol manager?

7 hours ago, mammaP said:

Unless you are in withdrawal, then a tiny dose of the drug that was stopped can relieve that withdrawal.  How long is it since you took any psychiatric drugs?  Withdrawal can last a long time unfortunately. 

This is a site for going off drugs and recovering from withdrawal syndrome. How can we help you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:10 PM, Altostrata said:

The above was TMI in the dysautonomia topic.

6 liters of Gatorade a day seems excessive, it can cause electrolyte imbalance. Saliva cortisol is not a very useful measurement.

Are you taking thyroid hormone and Kavinace? What cortisol manager?

This is a site for going off drugs and recovering from withdrawal syndrome. How can we help you?

I posted my experience with dysautonomia as others had in the same thread.  Couldn't disagree more with saliva cortisol measurement.  And yeah 6 liters of fluid is excessive, but that doesn't make it beyond the realm of discussion.  Also SSRIs are use to treat POTS, maybe they could cause it?  I would recommend the book by Wilson "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome".  He coined the term adrenal fatigue -I find the term too restrictive.  Or check out Dr. Lam's work.  I was taking bioidentical thyroid, Kavinace by Neuroscience (induces deep sleep), and cortisol manager (which includes phosphytilserine, magnolia bark, l-theanine, and epimedium.

If this site is only for coming off psych drugs with no sharing of past experiences or a larger critique about how all of us got into this problem (psych drugs) in the first place than I'll find a more hospitable forum. 

Have a good one. 

1996-2018

• Administrator

Please read What is withdrawal syndrome?

TMI means it went off-topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

7 hours ago, SorryImNormal said:

I posted my experience with dysautonomia as others had in the same thread.  Couldn't disagree more with saliva cortisol measurement.  And yeah 6 liters of fluid is excessive, but that doesn't make it beyond the realm of discussion.  Also SSRIs are use to treat POTS, maybe they could cause it?  I would recommend the book by Wilson "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome".  He coined the term adrenal fatigue -I find the term too restrictive.  Or check out Dr. Lam's work.  I was taking bioidentical thyroid, Kavinace by Neuroscience (induces deep sleep), and cortisol manager (which includes phosphytilserine, magnolia bark, l-theanine, and epimedium.

If this site is only for coming off psych drugs with no sharing of past experiences or a larger critique about how all of us got into this problem (psych drugs) in the first place than I'll find a more hospitable forum. 

Have a good one. 

IM in the early stages  of understand the adrenals so I must check these links out .I heard the other day that saliva tests need to be done every 4 hours for an accurate test/result .just putting it out there if you don't know already .

Peace . 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

12 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please read What is withdrawal syndrome?

TMI means it went off-topic.

I have been dx autonomic dysfunction and all I did was post my sx and experience and what helped.  But for some reason you say this is 'off topic'. 

1996-2018

• Administrator

It was more about you than a general comment on the topic.

This is a site for tapering drugs and recovering from withdrawal syndrome. How can we help you?