Benzo Withdrawal put on Paxil 30mg

Hopeinhim

Took prn Ativan after losing a baby in 2016. Stopped after 4 months and went into an indescribable hell.  Landed in psych hospital with akathisia. Put on 30mg of paxil 10 months ago.

Akathisia is just getting milder last month after starting ketosis diet and i tapered 30 to 29 to 28 to 27 to 26mg holding month each. Suddenly started getting air hunger and dp last week when dropped 1mg to 26mg and now panic has began.

Also started ketosis diet which stopped buzzing i have hadfor a year. 

Homeschooling mom of 4 little ones.

Is the panic from paxil drop or maybe ketosis diet made paxil now too strong ( possible seretonin syndrome?) Should i go back to 27mg? I do not want to go back into hell again.

Help please.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to SA. 

Can you give us some more information about your tapering of Paxil? To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

A little more information:

Are you tapering 1mg a month, and holding? This sounds like a reasonable rate for right now, but as you get lower in dose we recommend sticking to 10% per month: Please see Why taper by 10% of my dosage? 

The ketogenic diet is quite extreme and was developed for people with epilepsy, to be undertaken under close and frequent supervision by a doctor. Again, it is quite extreme and virtually eliminates carbohydrates, which the nervous system (and entire body) needs. 

Again, welcome to SA.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa