Hello from Sunflower15

sunflower15

Hi.  I am writing because my doctor told me to stop Abilify 5 mg after 25 days cold turkey.  I am afraid of stopping cold turkey due to how powerful this drug is.  Can someone please advise me how to go forward after 25 days of use.  I am scared and not sure what to do.

April 2017 started 5 mg of Ativan, 100 mg of luvox, and .5 mg of ativan 3 times daily

June 2017 dropped to 2.5 mg of Ativan

Dec 2017 began to taper Ativan at the rate of 10 percent of current dose a month.

2/14/2021  .64 mg of liquid abilify, 38 mg of luvox, and .25 mg of ativan 1 times daily

• Administrator

Welcome, sunflower.

Here's our topic about tapering Abilify Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

As you've been taking it for less than a month, your risk of withdrawal syndrome is lower. But if you're afraid, you would be wise to taper, your body might be telling you something.

I would try a reduction of 25% to start and see if that's okay. If you get withdrawal symptoms, immediately go back to 5mg; you'll have to taper slower.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

He told me to stop cold turkey yesterday.This am I took 2.5 mg instead of 5 mg of thought to do this 7 to 10 days and if no side effects 1.25 mg for 7 to 10 days, and then 0.625 for the same, and then finally 0.3 for 7 to 10 days.  Do you think the plan I started today might work after being on 25 days?  or do you think it is overkill or not enough?

April 2017 started 5 mg of Ativan, 100 mg of luvox, and .5 mg of ativan 3 times daily

Dec 2017 began to taper Ativan at the rate of 10 percent of current dose a month.

2/14/2021  .64 mg of liquid abilify, 38 mg of luvox, and .25 mg of ativan 1 times daily

• Administrator

We can see what happens. If your nervous system doesn't like it, it will tell you. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for your help!

• 2 years later...

Hi.  It has been a long time.  Since my last post I tried to come off the abilify and was unable to.  I asked my then doctor for liquid abilify and he told me no.  I found a new provider who is amazing, and we began tapering the liquid abilify.  I am now down to .66 mg on liquid abilfy tapering 10 percent a month approximately. Is anyone else in the same boat?  I am doing good so far.  Abilify made me gain 80 pounds.  I have lost 25 pounds with the taper, and diet and exercise.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi sunflower15!

And welcome back.  This is wonderful news then.

When did you start your taper, and from what dose?

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature to help us out.

Just click on the underlined link ^, or the corner arrow in the quote below

And this sounds great Sunflower15.  Congratulations.

Are you on any other drugs at present?

And yes we do have others tapering from Abilify.  So I am sure many can relate.  I'll add a tag, at the top of your Introduction now, for Abilify.

Welcome back again, and thank you for coming around to update us.  Appreciate it.

L,P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing