SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

SupahSet: Lexapro - cold turkey discontinuation 5 weeks later

SupahSet

supahset-i-can-finally-say-ive-made-it

I went to the doctor for chest discomfort. I got a chest X-Ray, blood work, and an EKG and everything came back fine. My doctor thought it could be anxiety related. So she prescribed me Lexapro, 10m daily.
I took this everyday for about 3 weeks, and tried to keep an open mind, but the drug wasn't doing anything for me, felt no different other than some side effects. I noticed weight gain an irritability. I decided this wasn't for me.
When my doctor prescribed this to me, she did so with no hesitation, no warnings of side effects from taking it, absolutely nothing about tapering, and certainly nothing about letting her know if I wanted to stop the medicine or that there

were going to be discontinuation symptoms.

One week after stopping the medicine, I had the first panic attack of my life. We called 911 and I was checked out and was told I was fine. Paramedics told me it was probably because I stopped the Lexapro cold turkey.
The following week was okay, but I started to get some general anxiety. A week after my first panic attack, I got light headed out of no where and then panic and anxiety symptoms sank in. I went to urgent care with my wife.
They did another blood test, a full torso CT scan with contrast, a saline IV drop for fluids and electrolytes, and some benadryl to try and calm me down.

After my second panic attack, I started getting pretty bad general anxiety and BAD health anxiety. I mean EVERYTHING felt like it was going to trigger my death. Random thumb twitch? ****, I'm having about to have a seizure.
Random arm or leg numbness? Omg I'm having a heart attack. Even now, I have some dizziness, head pressure, and eye pressure and it's hard to shake the thought of having a brain tumor, even though I know how unlikely that is.

It's been 5 weeks and 1 day since I stopped the Lexapro cold turkey. I feel like I'm progressively getting a tiny, tiny bit better every few days, these waves are hitting me hard.
I went back to the same doctor last week and explained all of this and she basically told me that I'm full of ****, that all these symptoms are nothing, that Lexapro / SSRI discontinuation symptoms aren't real,

and if they are, they only last for a few days after stopping, definitely not for longer than a week. She even prescribed me ANOTHER SSRI (this time Zoloft)...

I'm switching primary care doctors now, and will continue to switch until I find a doctor that knows what I'm going through is real, and will actually listen to me.

I just went to a cardiologist a few days ago to make sure my heart palpitations aren't something I need to be worried about. They had me do a stress test on a treadmill while taking my blood pressure and constant EKG,

and the cardiologist called the same day to say everything was A-OK there. That same day, he strapped me up with a 48 hour Holtor monitor (a heart monitor that you wear and carry around for a certain number of days).
I turned that back in yesterday and the cardiologist will call me back in about a week with results.

About two weeks ago I started taking some supplements to try and combat some of these symptoms. I started taking fish oil (3 times daily), vitamin-B complex (once daily), and a magnesium complex (once daily). I've also tried to clean up my diet. I used to drink about 25-35 drinks a week (beer, wine, hard liquor, whatever really), though I did drink less while actually on Lexapro. I completely cut out alcohol of my life 14 days ago today. Woo-hoo!
I also started taking a full spectrum CBD oil (twice daily) a week ago. It has almost zero THC in it, and the effects on my anxiety are LIFE changing. Unfortunately, anxiety is the only thing the CBD oil has targeted. Since taking it, my appetite has come back as well. But I'm still experiencing many of my other symptoms in waves.

I know I was only on the Lexapro for 3 weeks, which compared to other people's 3 months on, or 1 year on, or even 15 years on, is such a negligible amount of time, but I feel it was long enough to rewire and screw my brain up.

I just want this hell to be over. Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences based on a short length of taking the SSRI or stopping cold turkey and being able to stay off and get better?

Edited by ChessieCat
added link to success topic

Took 10mg Lexapro daily from March 16th, 2018 to April 10th, 2018 (about 3 weeks).

Stopped taking Lexapro cold turkey on April 10th, 2018.

Have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms since a week after stopping (symptoms since April 17th, 2018)

Symptoms since stopping, that I did NOT have before or while taking Lexapro include: Dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite, brain fog, brain zaps, head pressure, eye pressure,  fatigue, severe anxiety, panic attacks, jolting awake when I catch myself falling asleep, heart palpitations, night sweats, and head aches.

Things I am currently taking: CBD oil drops twice daily (4mg CBD with 0.3% THC content each dose), fish oil 2 to 3 times daily, magnesium, vitamin b complex

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Supahset, and welcome to SA.

Your symptoms certainly sound like withdrawal caused by a a too rapid discontinuation of Lexapro.

To help you understand the symptoms you are experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.  The withdrawal time doesn't necessarily correlate with the time you were on the drug.  These drugs alter the architecture of the brain, and the time necessary to heal the brain and return to homeostasis is, unfortunately, impossible to predict.  

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Reinstatement isn’t a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone, but it’s the best tactic available.  You’re still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to three months after last dose or dose reduction.  We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose, in your case perhaps 1 mg.  Is this something you might want to consider?

While it is often a first response to stress to take a B-Complex, in withdrawal it can be overstimulating.

Many members have found the techniques in these links to be helpful in dealing with withdrawal.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Altostrata changed the title to SupahSet Lexapro - Cold turkey discontinuation 5 weeks later
  • Administrator

Welcome, SupahSet.

I agree with Gridley. Reinstatement of 1mg might circumvent months of withdrawal symptoms. Even though you were taking Lexapro only a short time, it was enough for the drug to get its hooks into you.

This topic explains how to take a small amount of Lexapro Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Do you have any Lexapro left?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the replies.

Currently I'm trying to go with no dosage reinstatement. I want to see how long I can stick it out without reinstatement.

I'm going to try removing the vitamin B complex from my current regimen as per @Gridley 's statement, and see where that puts me in about a week.

Took 10mg Lexapro daily from March 16th, 2018 to April 10th, 2018 (about 3 weeks).

Have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms since a week after stopping (symptoms since April 17th, 2018)

Symptoms since stopping, that I did NOT have before or while taking Lexapro include: Dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite, brain fog, brain zaps, head pressure, eye pressure,  fatigue, severe anxiety, panic attacks, jolting awake when I catch myself falling asleep, heart palpitations, night sweats, and head aches.

Things I am currently taking: CBD oil drops twice daily (4mg CBD with 0.3% THC content each dose), fish oil 2 to 3 times daily, magnesium, vitamin b complex

• Administrator

Please let us know how you're doing. If the symptoms get worse, you'll probably want to reinstate ASAP.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Quick check in.

I've been off of Lexapro for 1 month, 1 week, and 5 days so far.

I definitely am feeling better than I did a week ago, and based on where I was two and even three weeks ago, I've made a lot of progress.
This past 7 days, I would say I had one REALLY good day, 2 good days, 3 okay days, and one really bad day.

Today is an okay day. My symptoms this past week have been headaches, head pressure, discomfort in my left eye, and some heart palpitations.
I think my headaches and eye discomfort are linked to me having a bad left eye. I wear glasses that are more magnified in the left eye than in the right.
I didn't use to wear my glasses all the time, and had no issues. This past week I've been trying to wear my glasses as much as possible to see if that helps with

these issues, and it seems to help by a small amount, but not a lot.

I know I really messed up by going cold turkey, but I was ignorant at the time. That aside, I'm still looking to ride this hellish period out cold turkey.
I was on a low dose for only a few weeks, so I'm optimistic that this will all blow over in the coming months.
I've gotten a lot better about taking the current moment in. When I have scary / triggering thoughts about what I'm going through, I'm able to stop, tell myself to come back to reality, and that this is all temporary.
Because of this, I'm staying cold turkey, at least for a while, and seeing how things play out. I might reassess that choice in the coming months if signs don't continue to improve.

I haven't had a panic attack in weeks, so that's good. The closest I had was a moderate amount of panic, but was able to reel myself in from a full blown attack. That was about 10-12 days ago.
Up until about a week or two ago, I had really bad general anxiety and health anxiety, but that's starting to subside by a large amount. Staying positive, getting outside and walking, eating healthier, cutting out all alcohol,

learning to relax, and more are what I attribute to helping my anxiety subside. One thing I started doing that seemed to have an IMMEDIATE affect on my anxiety was CBD oil. The next day after starting CBD oil, I noticed a drastic

decrease in general anxiety. Coincidence? Maybe. But there is a lot of evidence to show that CBD oil is great for anxiety.

A few other symptoms that I used to have a few weeks ago but are no longer an issue:
* I had absolutely zero appetite for about 10 days about 3 weeks ago. I lost like 12 pounds due to that, and that was also around the same time I cut alcohol out of my diet. My appetite is back in full force! 🙂
* I was nauseous a lot. Thinking of eating or doing certain activities made my stomach churn. Thinking of things like scrambled eggs, ketchup (any sauce really, BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, etc), all made me sick to my stomach. Not anymore though!
* Insomnia: I had a really hard to time falling asleep, and when I did, I would jolt awake right away with a racing heart beat and cold sweats. I'm sleeping a lot better lately and I'm really happy to say that.
* Fatigue: I didn't really feel like doing much for the past couple weeks. Stayed in bed as late as possible, didn't want to go out for a walk or do chores like dishes, laundry, etc. Now, I'm back to walking everyday, doing chores, and getting up at around 6:00am.

A few things I've changed about my lifestyle:
* Stopped drinking caffeine. I happy to say I have been caffeine free for 2 weeks now.
* Stopped drinking alcohol. I feel amazing. I stopped drinking 17 days ago. I've saved $145.30. Wow!
* Eating healthier. I was taking magnesium supplements, but now I'm just eating about 500-600 calories of raw almonds every day. That's a huge amount of natural magnesium right there!
* Going for walks and sitting outside. My form of meditation (and a great source of vitamin D!)
* Started seeing a therapist a few weeks ago. I'm going every Wednesday. I'm trying out a new therapist tomorrow. I'm not sure if therapy is right for me, I'm not sure I'm getting anything beneficial out of it (YMMV).
* Smiling and laughing more. I'm trying my best to smile when possible, laughing out loud, even if it's a little forced, makes me feel better almost instantly. Laughing is becoming more normal to me again.

I'd really like to see these headaches and eye pressures clear up. It's starting to poke at my health anxiety a little bit 😉

Thanks for listening!

• Moderator Emeritus

Great report, SupahSet!

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Great move staying away from the poison! I believe you saved your life!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Back with another update. I've been getting some head pressure and headaches the past week or two.
It started around the same time I started taking CBD oil. I started taking CBD oil to help with my anxiety.

I stopped taking the CBD oil yesterday morning to see if not taking it for a few days would improve my head pressure and headaches.

I read that CBD oil has a slim chance of causing headaches and head pressure, so I just want to rule that out as the cause.

If it doesn't improve in a few days, I know it's not the oil causing it.

I've mentioned to two doctors my headache / pressure symptoms, and neither of them seemed concerned.

I think I'll set a time box on this, and if I'm still feeling these symptoms in a week or two, I'm going to be more persistent at the doctors office, ask for some blood work to check my white cell count and other levels, and possibly ask for a referral to a neurologist.

I've been in a pretty good window for the past week other than these headache issues. I've had a few badspots in the past week of course, but I'd say overall this past week has been good. I can feel the improvement.
One day this week I felt a new symptom, and that was numbness in my feet. It didn't last very long, and a few weeks ago if something like that happened, it would 100% have sent me into a panic attack. This time, only some mild anxiety set it, and I was able to get passed that quickly.

My wife and I's first anniversary is in a month, and we're going on an extended weekend vacation to a mini resort like area. I'm very optimistic I'll be feeling much better by then.

Thanks for listening

Thanks for the updates.  I wish I would have stopped after three weeks.  :(    I'm now four months into taking anti-depressants and don't think cold turkey is an option.  I'm not even sure tapering is an option.

I feel like my life is never going to be the same again.  

Medications:

Current:   Pristiq 0mg since July 10, 2018

Previous Medication: 

Pristiq 50 mg May 24 to June 23 2018

Pristiq 25 mg June 23 to July 9

Lexapro 20 mg January 26 2018 to May 23 2018

Ativan for Insomnia:  December 8, 2017 to February 26, 2018 (.5) Once per night Dec/Jan

.5 Once every 3 days in February

Diabetic:  Insulin

Supplements:  Vitamin D.  Fish oil.  Magnesium.  Multi-Vitamin (B complex)

Iron

For sleep: little nibbles of melatonin (1mg) 

• Administrator

Hi, FakeIt. Let's discuss this in your Intro topic.

Definitely feeling a wave today. Some mild/moderate general anxiety and some more head pressure. On top of that, I'm just feeling off today.

I felt decent earlier when I woke up, for about an hour and a half, then a tiny wave hit. Sat outside for a bit on the porch, and then decided to go for a nice long walk. Put some head phones on, played aome relaxing music and got a good hour long walk in. It's beautiful out today, about 90 degrees and sunny. I got a good sweat in and felt good during the walk.

When I got back, my wife had the kiddie pool out and was laying in it soaking up some sun.

I decided to hop in and relax for about 20 minutes.

After that I ate lunch and showered. About the same time I decided to hop out of the pool, i started to feel more of the wave coming. It's been about an hour or 90 minutes since I felt the wave come on, and now I'm on the couch watching TV with a cold rag on my head.

Looking forward to the end of this wave, whenever that will be 👍

• Administrator

Looks like you're learning to surf, SupahSet. It could be you're hypersensitive to heat, you might want to go easy on that.

So yesterday I was feeling that wave starting from around noon until I went to bed. It got a little better towards bed time, but not by much.

I was feeling a continuation of the wave this morning once I woke up, getting ready for work, and for the first hour or two of my work day.

Around 11:30am or so I started feeling a window come on. It was a subtle window at first, but for the past 3 or so hours I've been in a full blown window and it feels amazing! I haven't felt a real window like this in a week or two.
In the past 3 hours I've felt zero symptoms. Let's see how long I get to ride this window out for! I'm going to put some music on and head to the gym shortly.

It's been so long since I've been able to enjoy the gym. I've been an avid gym goer for 6 or 7 years now, it's always been my favorite hobby. 1-2 hours a day, 5+ days a week. But since stopping Lexapro cold turkey 6.5 weeks ago, I've gone a total of about 4 times. I'm feeling good about today, and I'm going to soak this window up while I've got it 🙂

Hope you all are doing well.

Fabulous! You are on the way to escape from the otherwise potentially dreadful and long lasting hell .

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a cautionary note not to overdo it at the gym.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

@Gridley thanks for the note. I'll make sure not to work too hard!

Its Thursday now. As anticipated, the window that started on Tuesday was not everlasting, but that's ok.

I started hitting another wave yesterday morning when I woke up. It got a little worse this morning. Some symptoms for this wave include headaches, head pressure, soek nausea, and light anxiety. Today on the way home from work I had some heart palpitations. I counted 3 or 4. At the start of withdrawal I would get atleast one or two palpitations a day. These were the first palpitations in the last few days, maybe in the past week. So overall heart palpitations are improving! I've also been having soft stool for the past week or two, and some stomach discomfort as of today. I'm seeing yet another new primary care next week. Hoping 3rd time is a charm. I'm going to talk to her about my stool and stomach issues, as well as my headaches and pressure.

I'm still in the middle of this wave right now. I'm couch ridden. Laying down with a cold rag on my head and watching my favorite shows. Currently it's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Man vs Food.

Today I also had a little bit of derealization and some brain fog. It wasn't too bad though and those are gone now.

I can't wait for my next window.

Thanks for listening!

Another quick post.

I've been using Daylio for Android (also available on iOS) to track my moods throughout the day. You can log your current mood and pick what activities youre currently doing. SUPER helpful.

I treat my mood logs as withdrawal symptom related only. So if I'm in a sh*tty mood and my wife are bickering, but i dont feel ANY withdrawal symptoms, I would log a good mood.

Check out my average daily mood for this past month as well as the overal number of logged moods below. I see my withdrawal normal climbing SLOWLY, but climbing it is 😁

SmartSelect_20180531-165018_Daylio.jpg

SmartSelect_20180531-165038_Daylio.jpg

Really not feeling too well today. I have a headache and had some heart palpitations through the morning. I'm also having some health anxiety today as well as brain fog. I'm definitely in a wave here, have been for a couple of days now.

My wife and I are making a 4 hour drive in a bit to see family for the weekend. I was planning on taking the first half of the drive but idk if I'm feeling up to it now. Hopefully the next window is right around the corner.

• Administrator

I am concerned about those palpitations. Do you get them often? Did they start when you went off Lexapro?

On 5/19/2018 at 11:14 AM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, SupahSet.

I agree with Gridley. Reinstatement of 1mg might circumvent months of withdrawal symptoms. Even though you were taking Lexapro only a short time, it was enough for the drug to get its hooks into you.

This topic explains how to take a small amount of Lexapro Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Do you have any Lexapro left?

Those mood tracking apps don't do much for tracking withdrawal symptoms, which quite often have nothing to do with mood.

@Altostrata ,

I feel like I used to get palpitations before Lexapro as well, but less frequently.

I went to a cardiologist two weeks ago or so, got an ekg, did a 20 minute stress test on a treadmill, and he sent me home with a 48 hour heart monitor. All of that came back clean, and he saw no issues with my heart. He said even though I'm feeling palpitations, I probably shouldnt be concerned at this point.

As for the mood tracking app, I'm using the moods to correspond to my withdrawal symptoms only, not taking my mood into account. It gives me a good idea of my hourly / daily withdrawal symptoms as well as helps me establish a withdrawal normal to compare to.

I'm hesitant to reinstate, I really want to see if I can hold out and not do it at all. I'm really looking to never experience the panic attacks that I was suffering from during the first two week off of Lexapro. I feel like while every week or two im experiencing different symptoms at different strengths, I'm making a slight improvement.

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, SupahSet said:

I feel like while every week or two im experiencing different symptoms at different strengths, I'm making a slight improvement.

Yes, slight, gradual improvement with a lot of bumps along the way would be normal for recovery. Please let us know how you're doing.

• ChessieCat changed the title to SupahSet: Lexapro - cold turkey discontinuation 5 weeks later

It's been a little over a week since my last update.

Things wre improving. Last week I started tracking all the symptoms I've been experiencing on a 1-10 scale everyday so I can better see when I have windows and waves, and see that improvement over time.

The diarrhea has subsided and I'm back to semi normal stool. I think the diarrhea was in part because I was eating too many almonds every day. Almonds have a lot of magnesium in them and I was eating 4 servings a day or so. I stopped eating so many almonds about a week ago and since then hace seen the stool improvement.

Anxiety is getting better as well. I'd say it's about a 1/10. Panic attacks are negligible if existent at all.

Nause in the morning is improving as well.

The main symptoms I'm feeling still are headache, head pressure, and depersonalization (for about 2-3 weeks now) and two new symptoms depression and weird jaw tightness. The jaw tightness is super hard to explain, basically sometimes when my mouth is about halfway open I feel the roof of my mouth get a little tight.

I went to the doctor this past Wednesday. This is my 3rd new GP in the past few months now. I've FINALLY found a doctor I like. She was incredibly knowledgeable, kind/caring, and listened to me as a fellow human being. The best part? She VALIDATED that what I am going through is REAL, unlike the other doctors who told me to suck it up and that withdrawal only lasts a few days after stopping. She told me to take Excedrin every other day to help with the headaches and if that doesn't help in the next couple weeks we can dig deeper into the headaches. She even said she went through something similar when SHE stopped taking Lexapro a while ago, and felt symptoms for up to 6 months. She ordered me a blood test for complete blood count, vitamin levels, blood sugar, etc. Will get that done on Monday and have results the same week.

From Wednesday afternoon after the doctor appointment until Fridat night (last night) I was in a STRONG window. I mean guys I felt like a million bucks. I felt so good that instead of the usual daily 45 min walk I do, I went to the gym and lifted a few weights. Last time I went to the gym a week or two ago I just ended up walking on the treadmill. I haven't felt up to weight lifting in about 2 months. I didn't work too hard though.

I'm feeling the end of that window today for sure though.

The main thing I want to get off my chest is that things are looking up for me. I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but I felt SO good the past few days and wanted to share that.

Thanks for listening.

Supahset, Who is the new Dr you are seeing? I am in your area and have tried several drs and haven't been able to get any of them to believe it is possible for this to last for long. 

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Started Remeron 15mg August 15, 2017. Increased Remeron to 30mg October 4, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

Started weaning off of Remeron 30mg. Cut to 22.25mg January 11, 2018

Cut Remeron to 15mg January 18, 2018 Cut Remeron to 7.5mg January 25, 2018

Cut Remeron to 3.5mg January 30,2018. Stopped taking Remeron February 1, 2018

Currently taking: Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit D, Progesterone,

Hormone Replacement Pellets-Estrogen Testosterone 

• 2 weeks later...

@mirage Sorry for the late reply, I hope you're doing okay. I didnt get an email for your reply.

I'm seeing Dr. Anna Fernandez. She's with SSM medical group.

Please message me if you need any more details or have any questions.

Back for another update. It's been a while since my last one.

I'm doing a lot better in general now. It seems my waves are getting shorter and my windows longer. I have noticed that with shorter waves, the symptoms that do show up seem to be a little stronger. I'm okay with that though.

Like I said, in general I feel a lot better, but I still have daily symptoms I'd like to resolve, but only time will heal. My nausea has gotten better my a long shot, dizziness spells are mostly gone, brain fog and DR/DP spells are almost gone. Lately I've been feeling a little fatigue and some generalized anxiety, but those too are improving.

Over the past few weeks I've reintroduced a few things back into my life. For a whole 30 day period a month and half ago I didnt touch a drop of alcohol and I felt that helped immensely. Two weeks ago however, I was at a wedding and I wanted to partake in the drinking games and festivities. I took it slow at first nit then proceeded to have about 7-8 beers that night. I had a racing heart that night during sleep, which is a normal drinking side effect for me, and some hangover symptoms the next day. I didnt drink for a whole nother week, and then had some more alcohol last weekend with no other ill affects other than hangover / racing heart. Again last night i had some drinks and felt fine today. I was even productive today. Put together a vanity I got for my wife, its our anniversary tomorrow. I worked on my current Android app project, and now I'm out for my daily walk and catching some sun. I also have plans for dinner tonight with my wife to celebrate and feel well enough for a few beers at dinner.

Anothee huge thing I reintroduced to my life was caffeine. I had to do this very slowly because at first it made my heart palpitations return with full force. I stuck to around 20-30mg a day for a bit, which was about 1/2 can or so of diet soda. The reason for reintroducing caffeine was because my new doctor, which I LOVE by the way, told me taking Excedrin a few times a week would be good for my current headaches would be beneficial. Excedrin has about 60-70mg of caffeine in it.

I can now enjoy some caffeinated beverages throughout the day and have no worries of heary palpitations 🙂 It feels great because I used to have a giant black coffee every morning and maybe some preworkout later on before the gym. I'm glad to be able to tolerate caffeine again.

A few nights ago I had a return of one of my LEAST favorite, scary symptoms - jolting awake as soon as I fall asleep and my mind telling me that I'm dying, with a deep burning anxiety throughout my body, along with impending doom etc. That lasted only that one night though, and I was able to go back to sleep shortly after. Back when that symptom was a strong, daily thing, it would happen up to 5 or more times a night. So its comforting knowing that this time even though it came back, it was short lived.

I know I'm not fully healed yet. Im around 70-75% of my old self now. I know I could possibly have months if not years until I'm fully recovered, but I'm so, SO optimistic about it that the days are flying by and I'm back to enjoying life again. I no longer feel the need to browse these forums for hours at a time every day. I have such an amazing outlook on life now due to months of feeling like I was dying. Even though I wasn't actually close to dying, it's had the effect on my as if I did have a near death experience.

I can't wait to update you guys some amount of months from now to say I'm fully recovered.

Thanks for listening!

@SupahSet Thank you for getting back to me with the dr information. I will for sure look into her and see if I can get an appointment. I like the neurologist I am seeing but my regular dr is crummy and I have seen 2 other ones and they were arrogant and looked at me like I had 4 eyes. 

I have always taken great care of myself and was very healthy until, June 2nd 2017, when this journey started. There is no other explanation for my symptoms. 

I am very excited to read that you are doing much better and you are on the road to recovery. Congratulations! I am doing better, much better than I was a year ago. However, im not close to my normal self...yet. I feel that, one day, I will be back. 

Looking forward to reading your success story. If there is anything you can think of that really helped you, please share. 

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

@mirage there are a few things that I think really helped me.

1) Eating as healthy as possible. I basically entirely replace my breakfast and lunch with a mixture of nuts (almonds, peanuts, cashews, sunflower seeds no shell, pumpkin seeds, and raisins) as well as drinking a few ounces of V8 low sugar every morning. I try to stay low carb, definitely not keto, but low carb. I really enjoy lettuce wrap sandwiches now. A big ass piece of lettuce instead of bread, wrap that around some turkey, cheese, pickles, and some hummus. My recent blood test showed that I had high triglycerides, so I'm staying away from red meat, carbs, and saturated fats to lower that. Also esting more fish and fish oil to balance my omega 3's with my omega 6's.

2) Exercise and sunlight. Get out and walk for atleast 30 mins every day. Sunlight will produce vitamin D and vitamin D fights depression and will brighten your mood. Listen to music or not, play a mobile game while you walk, or just walk and enjoy your surroundings.

3) 8-9 hours of sleep. Any less and your anxiety, depression, fatigue and other symptoms will probably flare up, any more and you risk being bed ridden all day and worsening sleeplessness and fatigue.

Feel free to reach out to me any time I'm glad to help you through this as well.

Also another great thing about that doctor, she was on Lexapro her self at one point and she too went through something similar to what we are going through. So she can not only relate, but she's super nice, compassionate, understanding, and willing to help you out.

She should still be taking new patients so make that call!

🙂

@SupahSet Thank you for the info. You are so kind to come back here and help with this.

I've always been a, raw nut eater, but I'm going to make sure I add more to my daily diet. Before this journey began, I use to run about 20 miles a week. Since June, when this all started, I haven't been able to run...yet. However, I have increased my walking pace and I am now getting in about 10 miles a week. 

I'm still having trouble getting in the sleep. I fall asleep pretty quickly but the 4am cortisol spikes are still with me. I am getting about 6 hours and then I toss and turn, dozing here and there for another couple of hours. You are right about the lack of sleep. I, actually, am just realizing that I have really bad symptoms that day after I have a really rough night with no continual sleep. 

I'm still trying to figure out this windows/waves. I have not had a window that is completely symptom free. 

Thank you for the dr information. I already went online and booked an appt. I was not on Lexapro but on Wellbutrin. I don't think it really matters either way. Some of us have systems that just react to withdrawal, while others do not. 

My worse symptom is the dizziness. If that would clear up and go away, I would be so much better. The good news is, it does not affect my balance and I can function with it. It is just scary to feel so woozy all of the time. 

I see you are taking CBD oil. I have given that some consideration. What has that helped you with? 

@mirage I took the CBD oil for anxiety. I think it helped a lot while I was taking it. I stopped taking it so I can safely take over the counter drugs such as Excedrin. CBD oil is metabolized by the same liver enzyme as a lot of pain medications. I need Excedrin occasionally for my headaches.

I recommend giving it a shot. Also, for a while I was having sleeping troubles, coritsol issues like you mentioned. What helped with that was micro-dosing melatonin. I took 300MicroGrams 30 mins before bed for a few days and after that all my sleeping problems went away and i was able to stop the melatonin. Most tablets that you get are like 2mg, so I had to break the tablet in half and then half again to get that microdose. I think the CBD had a small improvement on my sleep as well.

@SupahSet Thank you, again, for the help. Ive been considering trying the CBD oil. I've been hesitant because, I have a dr that did some genetic testing on me and we found out I am a very slow metabolizer with meds. Which, explains why I have always gotten every symptom and have had many, that I just can't take. Because of that, my dr said to always take the least amount of any med. Perhaps I should give it a go on an extremely low dose. 

I took 2 mg of melatonin twice and it actually, did the opposite and I could not get to sleep. Reading your post, and from what im learning about how sensitive our systems are right now, I need to take the smallest amount. I'm going to try that tonight. 

I'm looking forward to the day when i'm up and running, literally! 

@mirage yeah I've had similar stories to people like you. Try the absolute smallest piece of melatonin you can. The smallest dose Walgreen's sell is like 1 or 2 mg pills, yet 1mg is a LOT of melatonin. Try and take closer to 250 or 300 micrograms 30 mins before bed, and plan to sleep for at least 8 hours. If you sleep less while taking melatonin, you might feel groggy the next morning.

I feel you on the exercise though. I started my workout journey senior year in highschool, and from there, I worked out a minimum of 4 days a week for the next 8 years, whether that was lifting weights, running, or biking. Fitness has been a huge part of my life. Since I started and then abruptly stopping Lexapro, my workout regime has never been the same. I've made it to the gym a few times in the past 2.5 months. My only workouts as of late are long walks. I'm at peace with that now, but I know that I'll have the motivation and energy to get back to the gym in a few months.

For now, I'm just aiming for at least 10k steps a day, but the more the better.

Keep up with your walks, the more you stress your muscles, the better you will sleep, I guarantee you that 🙂

Another thing, If you are a big TV watcher, computer user, or are on your phone a lot, especially before bed, consider picking up a pair of bluelight filtering glasses. You can get a pair from Microcenter or amazon for like 15 - 20 bucks. They are tinted yellow and help reduce the strain that screens have on your eyes, which allow you to fall asleep a bit easier.

@SupahSet You are a big help and I truly appreciate that. 

As far as exercising goes, I keep reading not to over due it, but a part of me thinks, if I can push myself, shouldn't I? I'm not sure that I feel any less symptomatic on the days I take it easy compared to the days when I work out. I for sure can't run yet, but I can walk for longer distances. There are so many benefits from working out and like you mentioned, it does help with sleep. Did you notice any of your symptoms getting worse when you worked out? 

I have purchased the blue light filtering glasses. I just forget to put them on every night. My brain is a smidge foggy. Be it a combination of this journey and being older. 

My husband and I, after having and raising 4 kids, became empty nesters last summer. Our baby graduated from high school and 2 weeks later is when the bottom dropped out and I became terribly sick. We had so many plans that have been put on hold. I am making it my mission to beat this and to get back to, complete joyful living. Your support has been wonderful. Thank you!

@mirage no problem! It's very helpful to talk with others that are going through this as well.

I'm going to be honest, I do tend to see an increase in some symptoms on days I work out a little harder. I think it helps in the long run though, I think it helps train your brain that exercise is good for you. I like to think of this journey as your brain forgetting how to process anything, kind of like a new born baby. We have to retrain our brains to do everything that we used to take for granted. One of those things is exercise, and if you slowly, very slowly push yourself, you'll find that after a while your brain can mentally handle the effects of strenuous exercise again.

This is all about time, just remember that!

We will all beat this in time together 🙂

@SupahSet you are so supportive. I feel tearful. THANK YOU!

I think you make a good point about retraining the brain. I also, just recently, had a deja vu while on the treadmill. My brain remembered how good it feels to sweat a little and to be able to work out. I'm hoping in time, things just start to click. 

You are right about time. Looks like we have to be patient and let our bodies and brains call the shots. I'm trying to do that. I tell myself that I can't change what is and I can only look forward to being healed and in the mean time, do what I can and try and keep each day as normal as possible. I'm going to every invite and running my errands and working part time. You would think that would all poop me out and I would sleep like a rock. It is so odd that I never feel tired. I yawn like crazy but never feel like I need to lay down and rest. I'm realizing that when I get tired, I just get more symptomatic. I have always been a high energy person but this isn't right. My body is upside down. 

On another note, hearing that you have been able to have a drink and not have it affect you is good news. Not that I drink often but I do like to have a glass of wine or a margarita. I haven't had either since my journey started June 2nd, 2017. Missing my monthly happy hours with my friends. Well, I go but I have water and occasionally, to really whoop it up, club soda with lime!!!

Glad to have your support and I am here for you as well. Lets get through this and write our success stories!