Tammylovesdogs Prozac & Wellbutrin

Tammylovesdogs

Hi everyone, I am new and super happy to be here.  I have been on Prozac 20mg and Wellbutrin XL 300 for twenty five years.

I have tried to get off a few times but was not successful.  I started to taper in Jan and was down to half doses on May

first.  The withdraw, specifically anger and self hate became too intense and I went back to old doses two weeks ago.

Now I feel like crap.  Side effects are harsh and benefit little.  I feel like I have let an angry tiger out of the cage and can't

get it back in.  I am thinking of going back to the half doses and just dealing with the emotional stuff by working out.

I started yoga in Jan but maybe harder cardio is the way to get the anger out.  Problem is that I am also very tired.  I work and come home and go to bed.  I journal, go to AA meetings been sober over 15 years.  I feel like I am a mess.  I am wondering about

some of the natural antidepressants like SamE or 5HTP?  I just feel like my brain is raw and hurts.  Any ideas on how to supplement and sooth my brain?  thanks, and I also will stop the taper and work with my doctor but can't see him for another month so that is why I am thinking of going back to the Prozac 10 and Wellbutrin 150 that I have been taking for the past couple of months.

Started on Prozac 20mg and Wellbutrin 75 SR around 20-25 years ago.  Eating disorder at that time, bulimia.  SSRI made symptoms better and I was able to not hurt myself with food.

Every time I tried to switch or come off the drugs (five times total) I would make it two to three months taper or off all together and then the rage and depression and wanting to eat would come and I would go back meds again.  I increased dose of Wellbutrin xl to 300mg (  which I was switched to from Wellbutrin SR about ten years ago) and have been at these doses for around ten years.  I also take multivit and eat no sugar, dairy, wheat.  Super healthy diet.  No alcohol for 25 years and no illicit drugs and 2 -3 cups of coffee.

• Administrator

Welcome, Tammy.

I moved your post here to start your Introductions topic, where you can put questions about your taper and track your progress.

Your poor brain is hurting from reducing the drugs too fast. Let it settle for a while, then you can taper more gradually. See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

What are the side effects you have from Prozac and Wellbutrin? What time of day do you take your drugs? What is your daily symptom pattern?

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for responding.  It is so comforting to know I am not alone.  Side effects from Wellbutrin and Prozac are insomnia/exhaustion.

Brain fog, cognitive impairment, memory loss.  Free floating hate and rage.  Numb, I don't feel much at all.  Have not cried in a couple of years.  Zombie like. Cant have an intimate relationship.  Sleep at five PM.  Never feel good inside my body. Neck and spine issues. Tense spasming neck.   No energy, no joy.  

Physical and/or mental pain all the time unless I am distracting myself with housework or seeing a friend.  I am determined to get well so I will slow down the taper.  I am staying at Prozac 10mg and Wellbutrin 150xl a day and praying a lot.  I am also trying to get out of myself and reach out to others too.  I sponser people in AA.  At least I am sober right!  I try to watch a lot of standup comedy and have a light heart.  I am doing a little yoga daily and meditate and write everyday as well.  I think I need to accept how I feel and be grateful and work on changing my perception.  This is a process and I am doing the best I can.  I never would have started these medications if I knew that this would be so hard to get off of.  I am so happy to be in this group.  thanks

Started on Prozac 20mg and Wellbutrin 75 SR around 20-25 years ago.  Eating disorder at that time, bulimia.  SSRI made symptoms better and I was able to not hurt myself with food.

Every time I tried to switch or come off the drugs (five times total) I would make it two to three months taper or off all together and then the rage and depression and wanting to eat would come and I would go back meds again.  I increased dose of Wellbutrin xl to 300mg (  which I was switched to from Wellbutrin SR about ten years ago) and have been at these doses for around ten years.  I also take multivit and eat no sugar, dairy, wheat.  Super healthy diet.  No alcohol for 25 years and no illicit drugs and 2 -3 cups of coffee.

• Administrator

Those symptoms may be from the drug reduction you've done so far. What times of day do you take your drugs? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Some are symptoms I have had for years.  Six years horrible constipation, severe depression no desire to have any relationship. In bed at five pm every night has been happening for a few years and  lots of headaches.  I feel like my baseline is just feeling like crap but the anger and rage is definitely from reducing the dosage.  So that is new.  I take medications in the morning and always have. Since starting the taper I have doubled up on my acupuncture. (helps only that day)  Done daily yoga, journal daily. cardio/walk or run about three times a week which I would increase if not for the fatigue.  I have eaten organic, sugar free, gluten free for thirty years, grass fed meats only and all that.

I have done all kinds of therapy and currently the only thing working is to stay grounded in the moment and try to be kind.  I am determined to get off all the meds and allow yoga to heal me.  I have no doubt my brain can heal itself.  I was on a fat free diet for a lot of years and have been on a healthy fat diet for the past prob ten years which is better.  I am tired of not being able to cry and feel any feelings.   Except anger now which seems to be my new baseline!  Trying to laugh but my head is throbbing this morning.  Anyone else have issue with neck and spine issues or feeling like you are not even in your own body?  I was running a lot and now its like my body does not know how to move.  Everything is all jumbled.  thanks for letting me vent and giving me hope.

• Administrator

What times of day do the headaches and anger and rage occur? When do you take your drugs? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

Some of your symptoms do sound like they''re withdrawal from tapering too fast. If I were you, I'd hold for a while.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Magnesium citrate can help with tight muscles and constipation.

19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

^ Third request. You might have to do this on a computer.

Hi everyone, so I am tapering on Prozac and Wellbutrin xl.  I take the generics of both.  About six months ago they switched the generic on Wellbutrin xl and I was taking a different brand.  I don't know if this has made a difference.  Honestly I am not sure what is causing what anymore!  I did have a conversation with the pharmacist and she was talking about a Dr that she knew that absolutely would not let his patient's take generics from

certain manufacturers.  The Wellbutrin xl was from that manufacturer so she is going to special order the different one that I used to take.

I wish I could afford the non generic but if I was that rich I would retire, get massage and acupuncture all day and have no stress at all!  Anyway so interesting info I wanted to pass on.

I am doing well, went up to the full dose for two weeks and then had to go back to my 50%. Side effects were worse than the taper, horrific so back to the taper!  I will stay here until I see the dr on the 13th of June and then do the slow taper of ten percent or slower.  I am taking Hardy Nutritionals and doing yoga daily and walking. I still wake up angry but am able to tolerate and breath is out.  The rage is at bay so that feels better.  I am also happy to understand that this may be a long process! Meaning years! The fatigue is horrible but oh well.  I am focusing on gratitude and thankful to have a place to go where others are on this journey.  So currently on 10mg Prozac a day, the daily multiple from Hardy, ashwaganda and Wellbutrin 150xl.

My goal is to be off of this poison by the time I am 57 which will be Aug 2019.  I have not felt my feeling deeply for years.  I have cried when my dog

has died but other than that my affect is kinda flat.  I have not been able to have a relationship and struggle with fatigue daily.  I live in a hazy fog.

I don't know who I am anymore, really.  Or what I like.  I don't think the drugs have worked for years, I just can't get off the damn things without the withdrawl practically killing me!  I would love to go into rehab for this but can't afford it.  And I don't know of any places I could go.  Thank you for listening!

Hi Tammylovesdogs, I'm glad you found us. I'm sure a moderator will be along shortly to greet you and give you some information. In the meantime, hello.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Tammylovesdogs (nice name), and welcome to SA.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Are you still on Wellbutrin?  Please include this in your signature.  We advise only tapering one drug at a time.

I'm going to give you several links that will let you know some of the protocols at Surviving Antidepressants.  Please don't be overwhelmed and take your time reading them.

To start, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.  It may take you longer than your goal of being drug-free by August, 2019.  We advise you to throw out any schedule and listen to your body.  It will be especially important to taper slowly when you get down to the smaller doses.  Using the 10% schedule, you will be at half your current dose every six months.  So in six months, you'll be at 5mg.  In six more months you'll be at 2.5mg.  In six more months (now we're past your birthday goal) you'll be at 1.25mg.
 We recommend jumping off to zero at no higher than .5mg and preferably lower.  So you can see this will take some time--but less time than if you rush it and have to updose or reinstate due to a too-fast taper.  Yes, as you say, it is a long process, meaning years.

Here is some information on withdrawal.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Please be aware that very few doctors know anything about withdrawal or slow tapering and in fact don't even believe withdrawal exists.  Be prepared for your doctor to recommend a much faster taper than is safe.  Here are some tips on talking with your doctor:

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

While it is often a first response to stress to take a B-Complex, in withdrawal it can be overstimulating.

Many members have found the non-drug techniques in the following links to be very helpful during a taper.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tammy,

I've moved the new topic you created and added it to your Intro topic which is the place for you to ask questions about your situation and to journal your progress.  It keeps your history in one place .

Each member is permitted only 1 Intro topic.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

I am new and did not know where to post this.  Still learning.  I am struggling with some symptoms and was hoping to get some help.

I am on 10mg Prozac now and 150 wellbutrin xl.  I find myself craving food all the time and also having extreme free floating rage.

I have no feelings of joy ever.  I am so tired of not wanting to live.  Is this my brain getting well?.  I felt I was tapering to fast and so went

back up to 20mg Prozac and 300 Wellbutrin and my body totally rejected that resulting in sever physical pain, headaches and not relief.

I thought about trying tyrosine or 5htp but decided not to.  I just don't know what is causing what at this point.  I write every day, do yoga, run meditate, eat healthy, extremely healthy. Only drink three cups of coffee a day which I am never giving up.  It is my only pleasure in life besides my dog.  I love my job but can't really feel anything.  I have been alone for years which is mostly ok.  I don't know if I can ever be off meds.  I feel like depression is

my baseline.  I have done years of therapy and am just sick of myself and my issues.  I function so well on the outside and feel like a train wreck on the inside.  I really hate wanting to eat all the time.  I am not hungry I just am so hateful and raging all day!  I don't know who I am anymore after 25 years on these meds.  I would rather take natural stuff but that has not worked.

Welcome Tammy. There are many more people on this forum that are more knowledgeable than me and they will get back to you. I am sorry you are suffering. In my opinion, the doctor's can tell you how to get on these types of medications, but not how to get off them. Many people suffer almost unbearable withdrawal symptoms. This is a place you can come to use as a resource and for support.

Daisy🌺

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/29/2018 at 7:25 AM, ChessieCat said:

I've moved the new topic you created and added it to your Intro topic which is the place for you to ask questions about your situation and to journal your progress.  It keeps your history in one place .

Your Intro topic is the place to ask questions about your own situation.  So that you can find it again you can click "Follow" at the top right or bookmark it in your browser.

Please update and simplify your drug signature.  Please include the dates of the doses changes you made.  Only dates, drugs and doses - no symptoms or diagnoses.  The mods need to be able to see your drug history at a glance.  This makes it easier for the mods to assist you.  Thank you.    Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature 

1 hour ago, Tammylovesdogs said:

Only drink three cups of coffee a day which I am never giving up. 

Many members have had to make adjustments and lifestyle changes during withdrawal.  Eliminating caffeine may help.  You could always try it and see if it does.  You could change over to decaffeinated.  I suggest a gradual change over so you don't experience caffeine withdrawals.  

caffeine-in-coffee-or-tea-tolerance-issues

You mentioned that you run.  Some members have found strenuous exercise exacerbates their withdrawal issues:

exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you

1 hour ago, Tammylovesdogs said:

I just don't know what is causing what at this point.

It may still be from the changes you made.  However, we need the updated information about those. 

Many members find Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil helpful.  Try them one at a time and start with a small amount first to see how you react.

Only make one change at a time.  For example if you decide to eliminate caffeine, don't start a supplement at the same time: the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 11 months later...

Ten months drug free

Hello fellow Antidepressant Survivors.

It has been a while since I have posted but I did want to check in.  I took a year to taper slowly and then totally quit on Aug 3 of 2018.  It has been a wild, brutal ride and I wanted to offer a portal of hope to all friends out there trying to get off this poison.

Things that have helped me: daily meditation up to two hours a day, deep breathing totally relaxing and sound healing.  Yoga, daily every day.

Going to the gym daily.  Cardio cardio and cardio.  The angst and anger that is surging through my body must be channeled and so half hour a day intense cardio helps.  Of course diet with lots of good fats lean protein and no carbs.  I have been off sugars for thirty years so not a big deal for me.  Screaming in my car when the anger surges come and they do.  Crying and comforting myself when I do.

I have created space for my feelings and do not judge them but welcome all feelings and sensations in my body and relax and live a river, well sometimes an ocean they roll through.  Working a twelve step program helps.  I go to a meeting a day.  

Helping other people to get out of my self.  Acupuncture and chiro to assist with the crazy physical pain that is wild and burns.  Neck and spine pain a lot.  TRUSTING THE PROCESS.  Sleeping when I need and not expecting myself to be super woman.

Please know that instead of feeling better, I am getting better at feeling and not reacting to this. Does that make sense.  Feelings cannot hurt me.  For me it is all about reacting to stress in loving ways which I never did and that is why I was so depressed.  Huge deficit of self love from years of trauma.  Healing healing and healing from inside my OWN being.  I do not need help, I am whole.  It feels good to allow the process of self love to trickle down to my bones. And time takes time and when you pour this SSRI **** all over your central nervous system, there is a lot of repair that they body and mind naturally have to do. This is pain.  So I step back from myself, abide as awareness only and ALLOW.  This is working.  I am happy and dance and sing a lot.  I feel love in my heart and a desire to live at times.  Never easy but very do able to anyone thinking they are different or not able to get off.  You can if you are willing and have the support.  One breath at a time, my friends. One day at a time. Some joy is sneaking in.  Love to you all. Fight for yourself. It is worth it!  

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus
22 minutes ago, Tammylovesdogs said:

I wanted to offer a portal of hope to all friends out there trying to get off this poison

Great report, Tammylovesdogs!

Gridley (who also loves dogs)

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

Good to hear from you, Tammy. Are you still coping with any post-acute withdrawal symptoms?

• Moderator Emeritus

merged 2 intro topics