arwilliams Zyprexa long term vs withdrawal

arwilliams

I live in NC and my parents have soft agreed(mom strong dad probably) to send me to https://www.cooperriis.org/ or the https://www.holisticpsychiatrist.com/ to potentially get me off of drugs.

They technically have an outpatient facility if need be.

I have tried several times to both control taper and taper of Zyprexa and it has been unsuccessful.

Is there any place in the United States somebody would recommend over this place?

The main benefit is that it is only a couple hours a way in Ashville, NC.

They try to use holistic approaches to get people and frankly may be flying to get to these places.

I did a control taper  Zyprexa once before and like 1-2 month delayed insomnia.   No matter what tapering I do know I can't seem to get off.

My Intro FB Zyprexa 2015-September 2018

1st time I tried to come straight off of 10mg Zyprexa I was hospitalized for insane insomnia.

Current - Abilify Maintena & L Theanine(for akathisia)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arwilliams

• Spideygsm

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

What's wrong with sticking to a 10% or less taper?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@ChessieCat 10% means all the receptors drop at once which isn't really ideal. You really want to let each bundle of receptors rebound individually.   I have done the taper before and after being over a month off the drug I had delayed insomnia withdrawal.  1 month my current doctor claims the illness coming back.  Andy is the only person I have talked to that recovered and didn't use another drug.

the holistic psychiatrist doctor explains quite well what I have kinda suggesting/inferring before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olanzapine

Essentially Zyprexa has 17ish or so receptors seroquel 10ish and haldol 3ish receptors it primarily alters.

Assuming you don't have extreme/bad reactions to any of these drugs you should be able to essentially switch between them to avoid jumping from 17 receptors of Zyprexa to zero.  **THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE***  just theory

1st time I tried to come straight off of 10mg Zyprexa I was hospitalized for insane insomnia.

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, arwilliams said:

10% means all the receptors drop at once which isn't really ideal.

6 minutes ago, arwilliams said:

Assuming you don't have extreme/bad reactions to any of these drugs you should be able to essentially switch between them to avoid jumping from 17 receptors of Zyprexa to zero.  **THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE***  just theory

14 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

or less taper

What I think is that you are looking for a "magic" way to get off the drug.  Have you tried doing less than 10%?  If it were me, I'd be trying a very slow taper rather than opting for doing something based on a theory.

rhis-start-small-listen-to-your-body-taper-plan

micro-taper-instead-of-10-or-5-decreases

the-slowness-of-slow-tapers

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

@ChessieCat I have been on haldol for a week or so and cold turkeyed it.  Zero issues.  There is a reason I had no insomnia because it isn't sedating on the h1 receptors at all.

It has a bunch of other side effects meaning you shouldn't take it long term but coming off Haldol all you are really withdrawaling from are the dopamine receptors.

I have tried lots of variations.  Yes.  Less then 10% yes.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, arwilliams said:

I have been on haldol for a week or so and cold turkeyed it. 

Please add this to your signature.

2 hours ago, arwilliams said:

I have tried lots of variations.  Yes.  Less then 10% yes.

2.5%?

All I have are the medical record proving I was on it.  I remember taking it and week later stopping it.  It caused severe memory loss.  Honestly if someone was to ask any questions about it I couldn't really tell them anything about it other then I took it and stopped it.

ARW,

You didn't have any withdrawals from Haldol because you only took it for a week. Antipsycotics take weeks to build up in your system. I think you've learned too much from Dr. Google. There's no easy way to get off Zyprexa. Whether or not you go to a Holistic Doctor insomnia is going to suck. There's nothing quick and easy about it. You've tried doing all kinds of different things. What you need to do is choose something and stick with it. If you notice in Andy's Success Story it took him a long time. Also remember everybody is different.

It sounds like you had some problems before you started taking Zyprexa. Guess what, Zyprexa doesn't make any of those issues go away. I'm a perfect example. I had sleep and mental health issues before Zyprexa, sleep and mental health issues during Zyprexa, and sleep and mental health issues after Zyprexa. It helped with Manic Psychosis  for a few years which is why I was put on it in the mental hospital, but other than that, it did nothing else other than slowly kill me.

I think SA has the best recommendations anywhere for how to withdrawal from any drug. It works. Look at the success stories. Even mine. How do Doctor's get paid? By doing procedures and getting us all hooked on medications so we have to go back and get more prescriptions. If Holistic Doctors are so good at getting people off mental health drugs, why aren't there hundreds or thousands of success stories out there? Everybody's different. Some people can tough it out. 

If Holistic methods get you off Zyprexa so easily like you think, please come back and share the details on SA to help others.

Good luck and I wish you success whatever method you choose.

December 2017: Zyprexa (30mg)  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

Feb 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

March 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Valium (10mg) Ambien (10mg) Lamicital (450mg)

April 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg) (Dropped Ambien, Valium no help)

May 2018:  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (37.5mg)  Lamicital (450mg) Trazodone (150mg) CBD (20mg)

Present: Gabapentin (600mg)  Prazosin (10mg)  Lamicital  Trazodone (125mg)

1969 - Present: 80 Electro Convulsive Treatments, Medication changes (Too many drugs to list prior to Dec 2017) Klonipin/Xanax CT 2003

Wellbutrin Taper: Started approx  Apr 2018 450mg, 300mg, 225mg, 150mg, 112.5mg, 75mg, 37.5mg Held each dose approx 1 week per Doctor, June 5 2018 OFF WELLBUTRIN

Zyprexa Taper: Nov 2017 30mg, Dec 1 2017 20mg, Dec 11 2017 15mg, Dec 22 2017 10mg, Jan 3 2018 7.5mg, Jan 14 2018 5mg, Jan 25 2018 3.75mg, Feb 6 2018 2.5mg, Feb 16 2018, 1.25mg, Feb 25 2018 0.625mg, March 4 2018 OFF Zyprexa!!!!

Trazodone Taper: April 2018-150mg, May 25 2018-100mg, June 1 2018-50mg,  Bump June 2 2018-125mg HOLD

@Spideygsm I was also only Zyprexa  a week before my cold turkey(Haldol taught me this was okay which is not.)  So the stories are exactly the same just different drugs.

Dr. Google and talking to dozens of people have taught not all drugs have the same withdrawals.  This isn't hard to believe at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I got my Zyprexa liquid from the Compound Pharmacy.   Apparently you need to request an "almond oil based Zyprexa liquid" to your doctor.

Since it is almond oil based it won't biodegrade like it does in water.

This took some time to figure out but once I did certainly makes sense.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

How are you doing, ar?

How much longer will an almond oil base preserve the suspension?

Please add that information to Tips for tapering off olanzapine (Zyprexa)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 years later...

I'm off zyprexa do to getting IBD on the drug.

I'm now off of the abilify injectable.

Do not take Zyprexa long term.

Do not take Zyprexa for any length of time period

December 2017: Zyprexa (30mg)  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

Feb 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

March 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Valium (10mg) Ambien (10mg) Lamicital (450mg)

April 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg) (Dropped Ambien, Valium no help)

May 2018:  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (37.5mg)  Lamicital (450mg) Trazodone (150mg) CBD (20mg)

Present: Gabapentin (600mg)  Prazosin (10mg)  Lamicital  Trazodone (125mg)

1969 - Present: 80 Electro Convulsive Treatments, Medication changes (Too many drugs to list prior to Dec 2017) Klonipin/Xanax CT 2003

Wellbutrin Taper: Started approx  Apr 2018 450mg, 300mg, 225mg, 150mg, 112.5mg, 75mg, 37.5mg Held each dose approx 1 week per Doctor, June 5 2018 OFF WELLBUTRIN

Zyprexa Taper: Nov 2017 30mg, Dec 1 2017 20mg, Dec 11 2017 15mg, Dec 22 2017 10mg, Jan 3 2018 7.5mg, Jan 14 2018 5mg, Jan 25 2018 3.75mg, Feb 6 2018 2.5mg, Feb 16 2018, 1.25mg, Feb 25 2018 0.625mg, March 4 2018 OFF Zyprexa!!!!

Trazodone Taper: April 2018-150mg, May 25 2018-100mg, June 1 2018-50mg,  Bump June 2 2018-125mg HOLD

The liquid taper still left me with sleep problems.

I'm still on abilify.  I had to get off of zyprexa do to IBD.