brassmonkey

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

brassmonkey

Hi Waiting--  adverse reactions end up being seen as part of the ebb and flow of a taper and don't get  success story as such.  People work their way through the adverse reaction and then continue on.  So any success story would be buried in their intro threads.

Yes, my statement would be an all inclusive one.  An adverse reaction has many similarities with a bad wave and as such it must be worked through and when the time is right a persons taper can be continued.  Although very uncomfortable and such an adverse reaction boils down to just another bump in the road to recovery. Have you tried doing a search on Adverse Reaction?  It would take a bit of digging but you may find some success stories that way.

Brassmonkey

Waiting12
3 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Hi Waiting--  adverse reactions end up being seen as part of the ebb and flow of a taper and don't get  success story as such.  People work their way through the adverse reaction and then continue on.  So any success story would be buried in their intro threads.

Yes, my statement would be an all inclusive one.  An adverse reaction has many similarities with a bad wave and as such it must be worked through and when the time is right a persons taper can be continued.  Although very uncomfortable and such an adverse reaction boils down to just another bump in the road to recovery. Have you tried doing a search on Adverse Reaction?  It would take a bit of digging but you may find some success stories that way.

Brassmonkey

Thanks for the response. I didn’t realize many people had adverse reactions during tapering. Thanks for clearing that up. It brings up another question. What about those who didn’t have a chance to taper due to said severe reactions. Would that be considered a CT wd and not recovery from an AR? Sorry, I’ve been recovering for 20 months and I’m still confused on what happened to me. Maybe I’ll send you a PM or invite you to my intro thread.

In the meantime I’ll do more searching. Thanks!

brassmonkey

An Adverse Reaction is an overly strong reaction for a person who is sensitive to the drug.  It hits hard and fast and once the drug is removed, it can take a long time to stabilize.  Adverse Reactions typically happen at one of three points. When a drug is first started, by doing too large an updose during a taper, or from a reinstatement after the drug has been stopped for a while.  The reaction is the same, just the timing is different.  All three situations will stabilize and resolve given enough time as I discussed in the essay above.

As for whether or not it's a CT, that all depends on timing and a bit of semantics.  Stopping a drug in one step after it has had time to establish itself in the body would be considered a CT.  Different drugs and different people take different amounts of time to get established.  We generally consider one month to be the starting point, but anything over two weeks gets iffy in terms of CT.  Less than that and a person falls into the category of "I only took it for a week".  These are not hard and fast designations, but rather ones that we have established from experience to help us determine what course of action to follow.

Your thread would be a better place to follow up on this.

bubbles

An Adverse Reaction

Are we differentiating this from "side effects" which may be dose dependent? I tend to lump them all together, but perhaps that muddies the waters.

brassmonkey

Side effects are a different thing from WD symptoms, but sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.  We have some lengthy discussions about the differences around here somewhere.

thecowisback

so does anyone manage to 'get out alive' when they taper per the doctors orders? reading these posts terrify me as i have family members on ssri and snri drugs and i'm so scared for when they decide to come off them. i've spoken to them about tapering but they don't believe it takes as long as it does to taper off safely. i'm 17 months out from a too-fast taper and living proof that tapering too fast has horrible consequences but i'm still not sure they believe me. 

why won't the medical profession and drug companies listen to people about slow tapering? (rhetorical question 😉).

does everyone who tapers too fast or ct get protracted withdrawal further down the line? is this why they end up going back on more drugs? 

Kilimanjaro

Go brassmonkey! 

You are a GODSEND!! 

Ryder

What it boils down to is, if you’re worried about how you feel get it checked out.  When the results come back saying that there’s nothing wrong, “Let it go” it’s “just” withdrawal.

Thanks I really needed this reminder today. Saved me from posting a long long post 😂.

mFrustrated
On 5/22/2018 at 5:07 AM, brassmonkey said:

But I only took it for a Week

(6)

I think that some of the most unfortunate members we have are the ones who only took the drug for a short time and had an Adverse Reaction. Over the years I’ve seen a good number of members join who have taken their drugs for one day to a week and then stopped.  Yet they are suffering very acute symptoms.  This is an Adverse Reaction, acute symptoms that hit immediately and hard.  Some people’s chemical makeup just isn’t compatible with psych drugs and their body immediately tries to reject them, but in doing so throws itself into chaos.

Brass monkey, I’m one of the unlucky ones that had an adverse reaction. It’s been 2, 1/2 years and I’m still fighting with horrible waves every now and again...mainly harm ocd and some jitters.  Would it be possible to say full recovery from adverse reaction can take longer than 2 to 3 years? I’m in a wave now and I’m fighting the “this isn’t adverse reaction, you have a serious issue” ocd with terrible suicidal intrusive thoughts. (I had none of this before the drugs) I know you aren’t a doctor, but just trying to find reassurance that I will be ok I guess. 

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced amount of quoted text

brassmonkey

Hi mFrustrated- I'm typing this one handed with my left hand due to injuring my right shoulder yesterday, so I'll have to keep it short. Even though it's a minority I'm surprised at just how many members we have that only took their drugs for a week or so and have been suffering for a long time.  Things do get better, but it can sometimes take a similar timeline as a CT.  Most of the members I alluded to in the  essay were fairly well recovered by the three to four year range, some took longer, some were shorter.  There frequently was a marked improvement at about three years.  Keep up on your coping skills and don't let the OCD take command. Things will eventually settle down.

Brassmonkey

Edited by ChessieCat
removed excess white space

Bridgetini

Thank you, brassmonkey, for taking the time and care to put all that information together here for us all. There is NO other place with so much information. 

You are saving me from the temptation to rush the end of a taper to please my psych and spouse ( who both think that I am a tad obsessive about my tapering). I will have to accept that it will take me several years to taper off all three meds. If my psych labels me as 'non-compliant' or 'treatment resistant', I will have to either educate them or change prescriber. I have explained (again) to my spouse about WD and will try to keep him involved. 

Thanks for the reminder about alcohol. 

I gave officially stopped drinking 9 years ago today, but over the last year have taken occasional 'social' drinks - probably not a good idea. 

RachelSusan

OMG, this is amazing. Thank you brassmonkey for writing it. The entire thing was perfect however at this stage of my tapering  Part 12 was most appropriate to me. I still have at least another year and a half to go but being made aware of things to come once I jump off is very helpful.  I can't thank you enough.  I'm going to put this link in my thread so I can find your manifesto whenever I need it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

RS

JackieDecides
On 5/26/2018 at 11:56 AM, brassmonkey said:

I don't know of any actual studies or articles that talk about the ten month wave Bubbles. This is based on empirical information from watching many members both here and at Prior Place.  It appears to be very common in people who have done slow event-less tapers

this is me and, while I want to thank you very sincerely for this entire thread,  I think the 10 month wave is something I had better expect/prepare for. since my last dose of Lexapro was  May, I am just at six months, yes?  and 7 to 12 months means I could have a wave next month, at month seven.

my WD symptoms were very mild compared to everyone  else that I have read here so far, but in June especially and into July I really struggled. i was only working barely part time and could hardly do that. tons of anxiety and insomnia and horrible time trying to think, especially in writing. it might take me 2 hours to finish a short email to my boss, for example.

but really I've been feeling pretty good lately and working full time (although stressing and lots of insomnia still) but I suspect this winter will be tough as I have SAD and holidays tend to be tough. who am I kidding, holidays are very hard. 

so this is very good info for me, especially the part about not getting to comfortable and thinking it's OK to drink and so forth, and I thank you again. 

Needtoheal30

Brassmonkey thanks for this I took it for a week or so was already dealing with Benzo withdrawal wasn’t bad at all then I took antidepressants for a week then all hell broke lose after I stopped.never had anything like this before this  I started getting crazy intrusive thoughts all type harm,sexual, every bad thought in the books and dr dp .I’m 15 months feel much better first 5 6 months felt like I was going crazy but now ocd  still there but I can kinda deal with it now or brush it off . Windows are longer . Is this normal ?? Hopefully I heal in 2 3 years. Thanks a lot for this information first time reading the one week adverse reactions help me a lot to realize that it’s withdrawal. You hear story’s like mine? Because I took Benzo for  like 2 years of and on I stoped ct  after 7 months took antidepressants then all the withdrawal hit me like crazy ?? Does the adverse reactions still apply to me or no because I took benzodiazepines before ??? Thanks a lot.

Edited by Needtoheal30
Spelling

Freesia

You mention two supplements that might be helpful but the rest of them you seem to negate. I didn't see any mention of what the supplements were.  When I went off of my meds I was taking a crap load of supplements.  The naturopath would go low and slow is becoming very expensive I couldn't afford it anymore so I got stuck in supplement hell to manage. I feel as though I've just elongated my withdrawal with all of this. I ended up going off and sort of Reinventing the wheel constantly on my own. I am off of medications since February of 2017 but I'm really having a hard time of late a lot of anxiety lot of traumas at the past year and I just don't know what to do I don't really want to go back on the meds at this point and I don't know if I can survive it what do you think and what are the names of those supplements? Ty the supplements have been helping me to function but now things are getting worse something's not right. And then do you have to like go off the supplements at the end?

ChessieCat

@Freesia The only 2 supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil

Try a small dose of each one separately to see how they affect you.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Please start an Introductions topic for yourself here introductions-and-updates (top right, green rectangle, start new topic) so we can get to know your situation and you can be supported during your recovery.

jaxlin
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:15 PM, brassmonkey said:

So, When Will We Get There?

(14)

Like any other parent faced with this question I will give the traditional answer. “We will be there when we arrive”.  There are just too many factors with the medication and when combined with each person’s individual physiology and circumstances it becomes impossible to say.  The one thing we can say is that it will take a lot longer than any of us would like.

When we decide to reduce our dependence on psych drugs we are taking a large frightening step into the unknown.  The medical establishment knows very little about how to reduce dependence on these drugs and will frequently give out faulty information as to how to do it and through their lack of knowledge can sometimes force people into very unpleasant conditions. As frightening and painful as those conditions are, after removal of the drugs, they will eventually correct themselves and our bodies will heal.  The one thing that is sure to work is time, lots, and lots of time.

Each step of the journey must be taken carefully because it’s a very slippery path filled with things that can trip a person up.  Once they’ve fallen, it’s even harder to get back up to start traveling again.  Everyone is different in how fast they can traverse the path, but everyone must take it very slowly, one step at a time.  There is very little to hang on to along the way to keep from falling and almost nothing that can help speed things up. But there are a few things that will help make the time pass a bit more comfortably.

The human body is an amazing thing. From the first combining of two single cells it contains all the information necessary to build itself.  If it gets broken, it has all the information it needs to fix and adjust itself.  It’s such a complex mechanism though it takes a lot of time to sort out what is wrong, adjust the problem one cell at a time and test the results.

The latest calculations determined that on average there are 37.2 trillion cells in the human body. About 95% of those cells are replaced each year.  That’s a lot of cells and replacement to keep track of.  Then throw on top of it trying to sort out the changes made by psych drugs to every part and system of the body, and you have a monumental job ahead of you. Which brings up the old question “How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” Time after time after time……..

An amazing amount of information thank you. I did it all the wrong way, but it's good to know the reason for all the distress over the last 3 years!

Freesia

Wow very eloquently put ty brass monkey