SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Takebackmylife: Introduction

Takebackmylife

Hello friends,

I have been on several different antidepressants for most of my adult life. 22 years to be exact. I started at the age of 17 and am now 39. I have two young children and a loving and supportive husband. I have tried several times to quit the medication, but the struggle has been really intense ie brain zaps, nausea, dizziness, hot and cold flashes. 

I have finally titrated off Prozac for good. (I was actually on generic brand). I found it was making me Very Unmotivated and Angry. This was not working for me as a wife and mother. With the knowledge of my psychiatrist, I tapered off over the course of 1 month. I went from 20 mgs to 10 mgs to 5 mgs. 

I am now day 5 of not taking Prozac. I was feeling very depressed and moody this morning. I have since gotten myself amino acids and they seem to be helping with the negative mood. I also tried acupuncture yesterday and had limited success. I am also open to seeing a homeopath of necessary. 

Thank you for welcoming me into your community. I look forward to lots of helpful information. 

Sonia Xo

1996  Zoloft for depression

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

August 2015 100mg Seroquel for insomnia. 

2015 Cipralex went up to 20mg   September 2017 Decreased Seroquel to 50mg overnight. 

September 2017 Prozac 20 mg for severe depression and suicidal ideations.  

April 2 2018 Lithium 300mg for suicidal ideations.

April 2018 Stopped taking Seroquel 50 mg all together overnight. 

June 8 2018 stopped Lithium 300mg  overnight 

• Petunia changed the title to Takebackmylife: Introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Takebackmylife,

I'm so glad you found us and decided to post. Unfortunately, your experience is not uncommon, but there are ways to manage this situation and bring your life back under control. 

I'm sorry you have been having symptoms since stopping Prozac, it may be withdrawal related, even though you tapered for a month, that was still too fast. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (The general philosophy of gradual tapering)

Are you currently taking any other medications?  We ask members to put their drug and withdrawal history in the signature section. It appears below each of your posts and helps us to help you. Here are instructions for how to do it:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

When we have more information about your situation, we may be able to offer some suggestions, but for now, you might want to consider reinstatement and then a slower, safer taper. The sooner you try it, the more likely it is to work. Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal. Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work. Once you have stabilized on a low dose of the drug, then a slower, safer taper can be started. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try:  About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Of course its completely your decision and we will be here to support you either way.

A few more topic you may find useful:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

When we have a few more details, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you for adding me to this group. 

I had negative withdraw effects from tapering off Prozac too quickly. I will now be following 10% taper off rule. 

I am also on 300 mg Lithium. How do I taper off antipsychotic?

What is the best and most cost effective way to cut medication? Compounding pharmacist or liquid?

Thanks so much. 

PS I completed a signature. Why doesn't it show?

Edited by Takebackmylife
Signature

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

2015 Cipralex went up to 20mg   September 2017 Decreased Seroquel to 50mg overnight. 

Thanks for the detailed reply Petunia. 

I forgot to mention, I am also on 300 mg of Lithium. Would now be a good time to taper off this drug as well? Would I follow the same 10% every 4 weeks suggestion?

Also, what is the best way to cut the dose? Compounded Pharmacy of liquid?

Much appreciation, s xo

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

• Administrator

Welcome, TakeBack.

Let's see how your going off Prozac settles. It's been less than a week. While you did not feel it, your nervous system has had a big change, let's give it a rest for a month at least. Please let us know how you're doing.

In the meantime, here is our topic Tips for tapering off lithium

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for your reply Altostrata. 

I will hold off on discontinuing Lithium as my nervous system needs a rest. 

Also, what is the best way to cut the dose? I want to do 10% every 4 weeks. 

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

• Administrator

Please read the link I gave you.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I am feeling so so awful and scared. I reintroduced 10mg of Paxil after being off of it for 6 days. Today I have sweats, weak body and severe ear ache in my right ear. My 3 year old daughter has an ear ache, so I likely have it as well. 

Thanks for your patience with me during this difficult time. 

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/24/2018 at 8:59 AM, Takebackmylife said:

I am now day 5 of not taking Prozac.

19 minutes ago, Takebackmylife said:

I reintroduced 10mg of Paxil after being off of it for 6 days.

Q:  Which drug were you taking, and which drug are you now taking?  Prozac OR Paxil?

Edited by ChessieCat
coloured drugs

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for making me clarify....

I was taking 20 mg Prozac. I managed to discontinue after 1 month which was WAY too soon. I have reintroduced 10 mg and now feel awful (ear virus, nauseous, dizzy, brain fog). 

I am also on 300 mg lithium and want desperately to discontinue as well. 

Thank you so much for guidance during this scary time. 

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

Hello Friends,

I had tapered off Prozac 20 mg over a month period. I now realize that was way too soon, as I've been on various SSRI for 22 years. I have since gone back up to 10 mg Prozac. I also come off 50 mg Seroquel about 5 months ago. 

When  can I expect to feel better? Right now I am drowsy, lethargic, unmotivated, have brain fog ... I also have Hashimotos Disease which makes me depressed, anxious and tired. 

My plan is to taper off Prozac  10mg over a 17 month period ( 10% ever 4 weeks). How do I know I am doing the right thing for my mental health and the sake of my two young children?

s xo

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Takeback,

I moved the topic you started in the symptoms forum to your introduction thread here because it was related to your own situation specifically. Please use this thread to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Please bookmark it or follow it so you can find it again. 

It can take anywhere from about a week, up to several months to feel better after a reinstatement, sometimes longer. Please read the link I gave you on reinstatement.

When did you reinstate the Prozac? Please would you add dates to your signature, we need to know when you stopped taking drugs, when you made cuts, when you started again etc, we need good details for the last 2 years if possible. How did you come off the Seroquel? Please would you also add this to your signature. We need details of all medications started, stopped and tapered from the past 2 years.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I can't seem to get the signature to show in my posts. Please find enclosed:

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

100mg Seroquel for insomnia. 

2015 Cipralex went up to 20mg Decreased Seroquel to 50mg overnight. 

2017 Prozac 20 mg for severe depression and suicidal ideations.  

2017 Lithium 300mg for suicidal ideations.

Stopped taking Seroquel 50 mg all together overnight. 

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Your signature is showing up with the same info you have in your post.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I'm glad you can see signature now.

I started Seroquel 100 mg in 2011. Reduced to 50 mg overnight in 2015. No known side effects. 

Started lithium 300mg March 2018 for suicidal durations. It has helped but I still want off this

potent drug. When can I consider coming off Lithium? Once I am better from reinstating Prozac?

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

2015 Cipralex went up to 20mg Decreased Seroquel to 50mg overnight. 

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

Stopped taking Prozac 20 mg completely May 19 after tapering off for 1 month. 

Reinteoduced May 24 after experiencing major discontinuation symptoms. Starting to feel better on 10 mg by May 29. The plan is to now taper off by 10% every 4 weeks. This will take me 17 months. 

My question is, how do I know I will feel better after tapering off?  Will I have clarity of thought? Less brain fog? More motivation? Less anger? Less fatigue? Or because I have autoimmune disease Hashimotos, do I have to stay on antidepressant for the rest of my life?  Thanks. 

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Takebackmylife said:

Stopped taking Prozac 20 mg completely May 19 after tapering off for 1 month. 

Reinteoduced May 24 after experiencing major discontinuation symptoms. Starting to feel better on 10 mg by May 29. The plan is to now taper off by 10% every 4 weeks. This will take me 17 months. 

My question is, how do I know I will feel better after tapering off?  Will I have clarity of thought? Less brain fog? More motivation? Less anger? Less fatigue? Or because I have autoimmune disease Hashimotos, do I have to stay on antidepressant for the rest of my life?  Thanks. 

Hi Takeback, 

You started feeling better within 5 days of reinstating. That points to definite withdrawal. 

Were you able to read the links posted above, particularly the one called "Why Taper by 10 of my dosage?" Those will give more information on the importance of tapering versus cold-turkeying.

We don't know for sure how people will do when tapering--that's why we recommend a small percentage (5-10%), to see how things go. 

Do take some time to "hold" and get more stable before beginning tapering.

No one needs to be on SSRIs indefinitely. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will go back and re read article on reintroduction. I will also hold off on tapering off Prozac and Lithium, even though I want to take back my life now!

Should I continue to take amino acids during this reintroduction phase? If so, how many?

always appreciative. 

S xo

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You're very welcome. 

I'm sorry, I don't know much about amino acids and tapering, except that many people are very sensitive to any kind of supplements when tapering. 

It looks like you have only been taking them a very short time, right? 

Take a look at this topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/606-important-topics-about-tests-supplements-treatments-diet/?tab=comments#comment-5753 There is a list of some amino acids in the first post. For example, 5HTP==definitely do not take with SSRIs.  

Even though they are "just" supplements, they can act on the nervous system and so we have to be mindful of that when tapering.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

Hi Friends,

There is a wealth of information about supplements. I am quite overwhelmed as I am taking a lot of supplements for anemia and Hashimotos. 

300 mg iron

10 000 iu vitamin d3

1200mg vitamin b complex

200 mg selenium

Amino acids which contain phenylalanine. 

100 billion probiotics

digestive enzymes

magnesium 

I also wanted to update the group on how I am feeling. I am Day 6 of reinstating Prozac 10 mg and am feeling awful. I am hot, sweaty, dizzy, feel like I'm going to vomit but don't. I am sad and drained. So so tired. Any support and encouragement is so appreciated. 

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

Also, has anyone heard anything about Soul Rain products?  They're know for being anti inflammatory. Would they help with withdrawal side effects?

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

Me again!  I am on day 9 of reintroduction. I take Prozac 10mg in the morning right when I wake up. Usually on an empty stomach and then I eat something shortly afterwards. This leaves me feeling dizzy, nauseous, faint, light headed ... 

It's an awful way to wake up and am hopeful someone can offer some suggestions on how to feel better and take back a life worth living. 

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/31/2018 at 7:24 AM, Takebackmylife said:

Hi Friends,

There is a wealth of information about supplements. I am quite overwhelmed as I am taking a lot of supplements for anemia and Hashimotos. 

I also wanted to update the group on how I am feeling. I am Day 6 of reinstating Prozac 10 mg and am feeling awful. I am hot, sweaty, dizzy, feel like I'm going to vomit but don't. I am sad and drained. So so tired. Any support and encouragement is so appreciated. 

Hi Takeback,

Sounds like you're hanging in there, which I want to encourage you on. This is not an easy journey, but very much worth it, especially once we get stabilized and start noticing improvements. 

I'm glad to see you're taking magnesium. Just a thought: VitB has caused a lot of "activation" and overstimulation in people in withdrawal. I haven't heard of SoulRain, but we generally only recommend magnesium and fish oil/omega3s when in withdrawal. 

Reinstatement can take a week to 10 days to get "stable" in the system, so hang in there. 

This topic--especially the first page--is a worthwhile read: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

There is also a lot of info in the Symptoms and Self-Care section, including tips from others who have been there with similar symptoms. All around the site, you can find what's worked for other people, and you can ask other members for support and offer your own experiences as well. 

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Takebackmylife said:

I am on day 9 of reintroduction. I take Prozac 10mg in the morning right when I wake up. Usually on an empty stomach and then I eat something shortly afterwards. This leaves me feeling dizzy, nauseous, faint, light headed ... 

It's an awful way to wake up and am hopeful someone can offer some suggestions on how to feel better and take back a life worth living. 

You could try taking it AFTER or WITH  food, instead of before.  I have checked the info and it does not have to be taken on an empty stomach.

Thanks for this advise and information ChessieCat. I will certainly give it a try tomorrow. 

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been holding on 2.5mL liquid Prozac with the intention of tapering off over the next 17 months. I did something rash though. 5 days ago, I stopped taking 300mg Lithium. I just hate the idea of being on medication. Although I am not feeling physical symptoms of withdrawal, I am sad a lot and crying a lot. Everything my husband does irates me. Will this subside?  What should I do for self-care?

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

So I've been holding on 2.5mL liquid Prozac with the intention of tapering off over the next 17 months. I did something rash though. 10 days ago, I stopped taking 300mg Lithium. I just hate the idea of being on medication. Although I am not feeling physical symptoms of withdrawal, I am sad a lot and crying a lot. Everything my husband does irates me. Will this subside?  What should I do for self-care?

I appreciate all support, advice and encouragement. S xo

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've merged the new Intro topic you created with your original Intro topic.  Each member has only 1 Intro topic where they can ask questions about their own situation and journal their progress.  Please do not create any more Intro topics.  Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please add dates to your signature for the following:

2015 Cipralex went up to 20mg Decreased Seroquel to 50mg overnight. 

Please also add the new information, including date, about stopping Lithium.  Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for their assistance with your CT of Lithium.

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

September 2017 Prozac 20 mg for severe depression and suicidal ideations.  

June 2018 stopped Lithium 300mg  overnight 

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please amend it here, then it will appear below your posts:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

• Moderator Emeritus

We need more information about when you started and stopped for the following.  

2017 Lithium 300mg for suicidal ideations.  MONTH & DATE (if known) or EARLY, MID, LATE & MONTH

April 2018 Stopped taking Seroquel 50 mg all together overnight.  DATE (if known) or EARLY, MID, LATE

June 2018 stopped Lithium 300mg  overnight DATE

Thank you.

• Administrator

Welcome, takeback.

Other than the weeping and irritableness, do you have any other symptoms from having dropped lithium?

Thanks for your reply, Altostrara.

In addition to weeping and irritableness, I have anger spirals and moodiness. 

I also have bilateral wrist pain and a shooting pain in my right groin.  I am very easily fatigued.  I have brain fog and ruminating thoughts.

I also have Hashimotos, so I don't know what symptoms belong to what.

Thanks of your guidance.

s xo

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg. 

I have several more questions Altostrata. Is now the best time for me to be tapering antidepressant medication? I had a crisis situation for several months this past winter. Is now really the best time to be tapering 10% every 4 weeks of Prozac?

Also,  my doctor is aware I have rapidly stopped Lithium 300mg. He is fine with whatever I want to do. He let's me steer my own ship so to speak. Was rapidly coming off Lithium the best decision for me?  What are my next steps?

Lastly, I realize you're an Admin. Altostrata and I really appreciate you. Is there another group member you'd recommend who may be going through something similar to me. I need even more guidance at this critical time. 

Always thankful, s xo

2003  Celexa 10 mg 

2007 Effexor 10mg 

2011  Cipralex 10 mg.