FakeItTilYouMakeIt: Lexapro to Pristiq

FakeItTilYouMakeIt

I am going to butt in here just once and tell you my one opinion on ONE thing- DO NOT CONTINUE PRISTIQ.  It is HELL to get off of. I am only on 4.5 mg (compounded at a specialty pharmacy with extended release put into it) for 4 months now and it has been awful.  Alto was not exaggerating about it being a pain to get off of.  PLEASE consider going back to a small dose of lexapro and tapering down as Alto suggested.  PLEASE.   That's all.

Celexa 20 mg 8/26/2016-11/3/2016 (tapered down to 10 and 0 over 2 weeks);

nortriptyline 20 mg 11/4/16-3/30/17. Tapered from 20-15-10-5 from 2/20-3/30;

Effexor 37.5 mg 3/1/17-4/20/17 (tapered up by 1/4 tablet each week from 4/2/17 until 4/21/17).  2 weeks at 37.5 mg dose

Concussion: 8/1/17 caused extreme thoughts and exacerbated withdrawal

Pristiq 8 mg (compounded w/ SR) 2/1/18- 4/15/18 (9 weeks); 6 mg 4/15-4/29/18; 5.5 mg 4/29/18-5/5/18; 5 mg for one week; 4.5 mg for one week; 4 mg one week; 3.5 mg starting 6/5/18

went down by 10% or less each month, splitting the dose between morning and evening.  2/8/2020- Jumped off at 0.2 mg twice a day = 0.2 mg continuous bloodstream concentration.  ZERO mg!! Hope to return with a success story on 2/8/21. Stay tuned

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FakeItTilYouMakeIt

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• Shep

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. I apologize deeply if I am being neurotic. I'm becoming very aware that ruminating is part of my problem!  I just want to get well. I don't have much support from my husband for the mere fact I've never experienced anything like this in the 16 years we've been married. I am 52 and never experienced anything like this in my life. I have never been on an AD before. I had never taken any pills before. Not pain pills, nothing. No drugs my whole life and then I get hit with this. I will read everything you have given me and read as much as u can. 

Thank you very much.

Medications:

Current:   Pristiq 0mg since July 10, 2018

Previous Medication: 

Pristiq 50 mg May 24 to June 23 2018

Pristiq 25 mg June 23 to July 9

Lexapro 20 mg January 26 2018 to May 23 2018

Ativan for Insomnia:  December 8, 2017 to February 26, 2018 (.5) Once per night Dec/Jan

.5 Once every 3 days in February

Diabetic:  Insulin

Supplements:  Vitamin D.  Fish oil.  Magnesium.  Multi-Vitamin (B complex)

Iron

For sleep: little nibbles of melatonin (1mg) 

1 hour ago, Brussellsprout said:

I am going to butt in here just once and tell you my one opinion on ONE thing- DO NOT CONTINUE PRISTIQ.  It is HELL to get off of. I am only on 4.5 mg (compounded at a specialty pharmacy with extended release put into it) for 4 months now and it has been awful.  Alto was not exaggerating about it being a pain to get off of.  PLEASE consider going back to a small dose of lexapro and tapering down as Alto suggested.  PLEASE.   That's all.

I will talk to my doctor about it on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday. 

Do you think this is okay when if I was having thoughts about death and stuff while on the Lexapro?

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Ativan for Insomnia:  December 8, 2017 to February 26, 2018 (.5) Once per night Dec/Jan

Iron

• ChessieCat changed the title to FakeItTilYouMakeIt: Lexapro to Pristiq
On 5/26/2018 at 7:58 PM, Brussellsprout said:

Brussel sprouts, may I ask why you did not switch to Lexapro to taper? Or another AD? Is there a reason you had to stay on Pristiq to taper? I am new to all this so any insight is greatly appreciated.

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

Hello?

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

• Administrator

FakeIt, looking back over your topic, I see you did not answer many important questions I asked. Please read responses carefully. Also, read the links we work so hard to give you, you need to understand your decisions.

It's up to you if you want to stay on Pristiq. Lexapro and Effexor XR are both easier to taper than Pristiq. I suggested a LOWER dose of Lexapro, it sounds like 20mg was too much for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

I was put on Lexapro January 26th after a trip to the hospital for a n elevated heart rate. I don't believe I should have been on it. I was on it until May 24 the when I was switched overnight to 50mg. of Pristiq because Lexapro was making me suicidal. I have never in my life had thoughts like that before. I was trying to wean the Lexapro to get off it and was going very very slowly (about 1% a week) 

My psychiatrist recently changed my script to 25mg of Pristiq so I am on the lowest dose. I plan to stay in the 25mg until I know I am not having withdrawal and then I am looking for advice on how to stop/get off the AD all together.

Please, I beg of you not to scare me and tell me it will take years to heal or that I should go back on Lexapro to taper. Lexapro made me suicidal. I will never touch it again and I need off these meds ASAP. 

I also did the genesite test and Lexapro was in the red column and Pristiq is in my green column. 

Should I switch to Effexor to wean off completely? Is three different meds in less than six months too many? Am I still technically withdrawing from Lexapro even though I am on Pristiq now? How does that work?

I need my sleep back. I need my soul back. I need my life back. The fear of all of this and the things I read are more terrifying than anything. I have family members who wait Effexor with zero side effects and have been off it for years. Is that positive in my favor? 

I was here a little bit ago and got so scared from the answers I couldn't come back. But I need answers and advice. Thanks.

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

Hi Fake it:

Every change in the drug from one to the other, up or down in dose, etc. has some kind of effect.  So, if you just stopped Lexapro, you may likely be feeling the effect of that change, and then you are likely feeling the start-up effects of Pristiq. 

I don't know much about Pristiq, but have heard that Effexor is not easy to get off.  So to me it does not make sense to start effexor in order to taper off it, as you will then be bringing in a third drug into the mix.  Each person is different, and has a different reaction to the drugs, so I think if your relatives had one experience on it, it does not mean that yours will be the same.  

Personally, I would wait to stabilize on the Pristiq, and then taper off that.  But, hopefully some other people will come by and you will get more advice from others too.

Your signature said you were taking ativan starting in December, and then you had an elevated heart-rate in January.  I wonder if that could be related somehow??? There is a section of this forum that also deals with benzodiazepenes such as ativan.

Best wishes, 
M.

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I merged the new Intro topic you created with your original Intro topic. Each member has only 1 Intro topic where they can ask questions about their own situation and journal their progress. Please do not create any more Intro topics. Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Personally, I would wait to stabilize on the Pristiq, and then taper off that.  But, hopefully some other people will come by and you will get more advice from others too.

If it was me I would definitely be sticking with Pristiq at this time.  Perhaps later, once you have stabilised you might wish to switch over to Effexor.

Your decision may be based on how you are going to taper.  I get my Pristiq compounded so there is additional cost involved.  When I was tapering in the 40mg range I would get 40mg capsules made as well as 5mg, 2mg & 1mg.  When I got to 30mg range I got 30mg capsules made.

Member baroquep made the switch from 50mg Pristiq to 75mg Effexor and had difficulties, which we think may have been because she needed to take a higher dose of Effexor, possibly a dose between 75mg-100mg.

The benefit of tapering using Effexor is that it is available as a liquid.  It is best to do a cross over, which is gentler on your system.  You take 3/4 Pristiq + 1/4 Effexor for a few days or a week, then 1/2 + 1/2 for a few days or a week, then 1/4 Pristiq + 3/4 Effexor for a few days or a week.  This would require you to cut your Pristiq tablets which can be a bit tricky because of their shape.  The other option would be to crush them and divide the powder up into doses. 

Here are the topics so you can do some research:

tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine

tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you for the replies. 

The elevated heart rate is what started this whole fiasco.  That was in November . I came home from the hospital from that with insomnia. Doc gave me Ativan On 12-8-17. I stopped the Ativan in January and thought I was losing my mind. I did not know to taper it and nobody around me knew or said I could be feeling how i was due to stopping Ativan. Instead, I was given Lexapro and told to CONTINUE THE ATIVAN while the Lexapro kicked in. 

I only took it "as needed" in February every three days (which to me is proof I was having intersose withdrawals...every three days I would start feeling it.  I finally put two and two together and stopped taking it all together and hoped the Lexapro would make me feel better. It didn't. So I tried to wean off if it but got suicidal even though I was doing it slowly.  So I switched to Pristiq and things have been better but I think they are better more because I stopped the Lexapro that just was not good for me. The Pristiq is better but I can still feel that I should not be on an AD. I don't feel right on them. 

I hope that answers your questions and clears things up.

My ola. Right now is to stay at the 25 though and see how I feel in a month or so. Just hoping for advice on the best way to stop when I am definitely ready to go to zero.

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

• Moderator Emeritus
At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.

Please also read the link "tips for tapering off Pristiq" in ChessieCat's post above.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

20 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Hi Fake it:

Every change in the drug from one to the other, up or down in dose, etc. has some kind of effect.  So, if you just stopped Lexapro, you may likely be feeling the effect of that change, and then you are likely feeling the start-up effects of Pristiq. 

I don't know much about Pristiq, but have heard that Effexor is not easy to get off.  So to me it does not make sense to start effexor in order to taper off it, as you will then be bringing in a third drug into the mix.  Each person is different, and has a different reaction to the drugs, so I think if your relatives had one experience on it, it does not mean that yours will be the same.  

Your signature said you were taking ativan starting in December, and then you had an elevated heart-rate in January.  I wonder if that could be related somehow??? There is a section of this forum that also deals with benzodiazepenes such as ativan.

Best wishes, 
M.

Thank you so for your support and advice.  I actually went into the hospital in November.  I came home with insomnia and then my Doc gave me Ativan in December to help me sleep.  Yes, Ativan is what caused the start of all of this mess I believe.  When I stopped the Ativan without knowing to taper I went into a spiral.  I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and told to continue taking the Ativan until the Lexapro kicked in.  That was the major mistake in all of this, so now that I am feelilng better from the Benzo ordeal, I'm ready to get rid of the AD I should have never been put on.  I hope I explained that well.  And just for the record, I've NEVER in my 52 years ever taken drugs or drank alcohol to the point of intoxication.  Never.  I am a housewife, mother, etc. and just want my normal life back.  Not sure if I needed to clarify that but sometimes I feel once someone hears I had taken (or had problems with) a Benzo they assume I abused them or took them with alcohol or something.  I took less than prescribed and did not know the dangers of them when they were prescribed to me.  I want to scream from the mountaintop now for people who are prescribed them.  They are so dangerous!

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted response from quote

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

So I was feeling overmedicated so my doc reduced my dose from 50to 25 of Pristiq. I have been on it a month after being on Lexapro 20mg for four months. 

I am at the end of day four and doing ok. No brain zaps or anything except a kind of off feeling and some mild anxiety. Oh, and neausea when I woke up this morning.

How long can I expect symptoms to last when reducing dosage?  Most everything I have read online says a couple weeks. 

I am hoping to wean off of it also after I stabilize at the 25mg. I found a compounding pharmacy that can do 20 then 15 then 10 then 5 mg doses.

Is that a good way to taper off 25mg Pristiq? How long should I take before I start tapering? One month? Three? 

All advice appreciated. Thanks!

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

• Administrator

FakeIt, please put your updates and questions in this topic, your Intro topic.

Please update your signature with the reduced dosage of Pristiq and date.

We can't tell you how long withdrawal symptoms will last. We try to avoid withdrawal symptoms. We do not take it for granted they will last only a few weeks.

Since you've been on 50mg Pristiq for about a month, you may be fortunate not to have withdrawal symptoms from this dosage reduction.

As we recommend 10% decreases, we can't endorse your plan of decreasing by 20% and more. Do this at your own risk.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Here is our topic about tapering Pristiq. Please read it carefully and you will see why we don't recommend people switch to it:

Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

FakeIt, please put your updates and questions in this topic, your Intro topic.

Please update your signature with the reduced dosage of Pristiq and date.

We can't tell you how long withdrawal symptoms will last. We try to avoid withdrawal symptoms. We do not take it for granted they will last only a few weeks.

Since you've been on 50mg Pristiq for about a month, you may be fortunate not to have withdrawal symptoms from this dosage reduction.

As we recommend 10% decreases, we can't endorse your plan of decreasing by 20% and more. Do this at your own risk.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Here is our topic about tapering Pristiq. Please read it carefully and you will see why we don't recommend people switch to it:

Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

Thank you

I am using my mobile so it's hard to navigate this site. Why do I put new questions in my intro? I apologise, I thought I put my question in the right place. So this is the only place I should post questions and stuff?

This is about the third or fourth time that someone has said I should not be taking the medicine my doctor prescribed and I shouldn't have switched to it; even though I explained that I was suicidal on the Lexapro (and I've never in my life been depressed or had thoughts like that in my life) it was recommended by people here that I stop the Pristiq and go back to the Lexapro. I'm so confused and to be honest petrified that I am doing the wrong thing. I am on the medicine my doctor said would be best for me based on my DNA test.  Why are people here telling me how bad it is and I should go back to one that made me feel so horrible?  Are the DNA tests not accurate or reliable?

Is there a different medicine I should be on??  My doctor said to just stop the 25mg after two weeks. I thought breaking that down to 20 then 15 then 10 and 5 would be extremely slow compared to how the majority of people do it. I know here you say 10% of previous dose but ALL sites I have been to....every single one says that the longer you are on the medicine the more it impacts your brain and the less time on it, the less withdrawal symptoms. so I want to do a slow reduction yes, but I don't want to taper so long that this medicine has been in my brain for a year. Sure, if I was on it for years I could understand, but I am not going to taper a medicine for a longer period of time than I've even been on it. How does that make sense? 

I just looked and my signature already has my current dose of 25mg since June 23rd. 

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

• Moderator Emeritus

SA works differently to many other forums.  Each member has their own Introduction topic.  It is the best place for members to ask questions about their own situation.  It keeps your history in one place.  When a member asks a question in their own topic it means that the moderators don't have to try to find the background information on the member (and possibly miss important information) because it is altogether.  When a member asks a question in their Intro topic and it is answered, other members and guests who don't register, can see the information which may help them as well.

You can also journal your progress.  For example, if you have had an increase in withdrawal symptoms you can post about it here.  If you have had an improvement it is good to post in your Intro so you can look back and see how things change.  It allows other members to support you during the difficult periods and celebrate with you when you are feeling a bit better.  I recently took the wrong dose for 5 days and posted about it and other members posted encouragement.

We encourage members to visit other members' topic so you can support each other.  However, please remember that it is their Intro so don't write too much about yourself, they can visit your Intro to find out more about your situation.  You can also post in the general discussion topics, but remember to ask questions about your own situation here in your Intro topic.  If you post questions specific to your situation in the general discussion topics, the questions might get missed, because the moderators focus on the member Intro topics.

Thank you Chessie cat. Your answer about the intro topic makes sense. Can you please answer my other questions?  Address my concerns about which med I am on? And the reduction was due to how I am feeling. My doc thought 25 would be better than 50.  Don't people decrease dose and increase doses all the time to see what works best?  Isn't there a typical timeframe for how long it takes to stabilize on a given dose to see if it's the right dose??  

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

Anybody?

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

• Administrator

You are coming across as a demanding person. You're going to have to put some effort into reading the links we give you, they have more complete explanations. I am sorry this is harder on a phone, but we're not going to recapitulate the entire site for you, you're going to have to do some reading yourself. Put questions in this topic.

Are you feeling better now that you're taking 25mg Pristiq? When did you reduce it to 25mg? Please update your signature.

As mentioned several times, it's difficult to taper Pristiq. It does not come in a range of dosages and cutting up the tablet as you plan makes it immediate-release. Effexor, its sibling, is easier to taper. Read Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

Your history: You got physiologically addicted to Ativan. This is common. Then you got withdrawal symptoms from going off Ativan. This is common. Then your doctor put you on 20mg Lexapro, because doctors do not have a clue about withdrawal syndrome of any type and don't realize that 20mg Lexapro is equivalent to about 60mg Prozac -- a very high dose of SSRI.

Going on and off drugs and experiencing withdrawal symptoms or adverse drug effects tends to sensitize the nervous system to drugs and changes in dosage. Your sensitized nervous system reacted badly to 20mg Lexapro. Adverse reactions need not have anything to do with a genetic test. Doctors are not very knowledgeable about adverse reactions, either.

If Lexapro or Pristiq don't do anything for the benzo withdrawal and you continued to have withdrawal syndrome from Ativan, that's no surprise. Benzos are entirely different drugs.

Still, given your history, you might find going from 25mg Pristiq to zero adds antidepressant withdrawal syndrome to your benzo withdrawal syndrome. If you think you feel bad now -- believe me, it could get a lot worse.

On the other hand, we can't tell the future. You might be fine quitting 25mg Pristiq after a few months. No one can give you odds on that.

So, your choice. Sorry it's as difficult for you as it is for every single person who ever joined this site.

Wait? You think *I* am coming across as bossy??  Me??? 

I am confused, scared, and pretty much feel like I am begging for answers and information; none of which are being answered! Go back and read all the posts. I've answered all the questions yet you tell me I didn't. I changed my signature and then two more times you told me to change my signature. 

I'm dumbfounded that you are speaking so condescending to someone who has told you I was having suicidal thoughts and asking if the advice to return to that medicine is the best choice for me because others says the medicine my doctor switched me to is so horrible. To me that means the medicine I am on now, in the opinion of the higher ups on a pretty popular antidepressant internet forum believe that a medicine that gives me suicidal thoughts is safer and better than the medicine my doctor switched me to. I cannot stop thinking about this and wondering what to do!!  I obviously am scared to talk to my doctor about it and undermine her advice! 

Ugh. I need help and I get called bossy??

Picture me typing on my phone with tears dropping from my face onto my screen. And I am sorry if that's how bad every other member here is suffering!! Is that MY fault?? I just came for help. Why are you making me feel guilty because others are suffering like me?? 

Now I will leave more scared and confused than ever. 

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

• Administrator

You're not reading our responses to your questions and you're not reading the links we give you. There's not much we can do for you.

An Admin has contacted me to let me know I was warned and that my reply to you was not within the rules of the forum. I hope he shares my response to his PM with you. 

I in no way meant to be disrespectful or bossy. I tried to do as told and have every link numerous times.

Is my signature correct now from where you see it? Please let me know if not. My current dose of Pristiq is 25mg. 

The Admin who contacted me also explained that Admins here are much more active in answering questions as opposed to members here interacting and helping g each other. I did not know that. I did not know that asking questions was putting a burden on the staff here and for that I apologize. As many before/after me I came here in a moment of wanting  answers quickly to ease my mind. I hope you understand. I never expected the Admins here to tend to my needs alone. I assumed other members would/could. 

So again, I apologize for my portion of the misunderstanding. 

I do still hope to get an answer on the switching back to Lexapro question ... Should I switch back to Lexapro as suggested even though it made me suicidal, so I can taper faster? I have found a compounding pharmacy that can make lower doses of Pristique for me. Is that the only thing that makes Pristiq harder to get off of, or are the w/d effects worse also even if I can taper slowly? 

Thanks. 

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

• Administrator
On 6/28/2018 at 1:52 PM, Altostrata said:

Your history: You got physiologically addicted to Ativan. This is common. Then you got withdrawal symptoms from going off Ativan. This is common. Then your doctor put you on 20mg Lexapro, because doctors do not have a clue about withdrawal syndrome of any type and don't realize that 20mg Lexapro is equivalent to about 60mg Prozac -- a very high dose of SSRI.

Going on and off drugs and experiencing withdrawal symptoms or adverse drug effects tends to sensitize the nervous system to drugs and changes in dosage. Your sensitized nervous system reacted badly to 20mg Lexapro. Adverse reactions need not have anything to do with a genetic test. Doctors are not very knowledgeable about adverse reactions, either.

If Lexapro or Pristiq don't do anything for the benzo withdrawal and you continued to have withdrawal syndrome from Ativan, that's no surprise. Benzos are entirely different drugs.

You were on a dose of Lexapro that was too high for you. Now that you've been on Pristiq for more than a month, it may be difficult for you to switch to Lexapro.

Read this about compounded Pristiq:

On 6/28/2018 at 1:52 PM, Altostrata said:

As mentioned several times, it's difficult to taper Pristiq. It does not come in a range of dosages and cutting up the tablet as you plan makes it immediate-release. Effexor, its sibling, is easier to taper. Read Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

How do you feel now that you are taking 25mg Pristiq, compared to when you were taking 50mg Pristiq? How are you feeling compared to when you were taking Lexapro in February?

Has taking Lexapro or Pristiq done anything for lessening your benzo withdrawal syndrome?

Community members can certainly respond to your topics. However, they probably can't give you answers with any certainty -- no one can.

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, FakeItTilYouMakeIt said:

Is my signature correct now from where you see it? Please let me know if not. My current dose of Pristiq is 25mg. 

Your signature states: "Current Medication:  Pristiq 50mg since May 23, 2018"

Please update this to reflect your current dose of 25 mg, along with the date of your decrease. A direct link to your signature is here:

Account - settings - signature

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, FakeItTilYouMakeIt said:

I have found a compounding pharmacy that can make lower doses of Pristique for me. Is that the only thing that makes Pristiq harder to get off of, or are the w/d effects worse also even if I can taper slowly? 

I've been tapering Pristiq from 100mg.  My situation is different from yours because I haven't taken a benzo.  I've been tapering by no more than 10% of the current dose.  I do experience withdrawal symptoms but they are generally mild.  I get my Pristiq compounded and have capsules created in the main dose (eg 40mg, 30mg, 20mg, 10mg) and 5mg, 2mg and 1mg so I can create my doses.  When I got under 20mg I was decreasing by 1mg and holding for 3 weeks until I reached 12mg (I think) and then I reduced by 1mg and held for 4 weeks.

Now that I am under 10mg, I've had 0.5mg capsules created and am reducing by 0.5mg and holding for 3 weeks until I get to (possibly) 6mg then I will hold for 4 weeks.  When I get to under 5mg doses I will get 0.25mg capsules created and do a similar thing.

I'm in Australia and have to pay for my compounding.  Because I am on a pension my tablets are on the NHS so don't cost very much.  However, I have to get the capsules created in lots of 100 so I've got a spreadsheet that I use to estimate how many capsules I will need.  Thankfully I've found a compounder who doesn't charge like a wounded bull ($15 for 100 capsules) but it can cost me anything from $75 up to $125 depending on what combination and quantity I need each time I get them done.  I estimate that it has cost about $100 per year.

1 hour ago, Shep said:

Your signature states: "Current Medication:  Pristiq 50mg since May 23, 2018"

Please update this to reflect your current dose of 25 mg, along with the date of your decrease. A direct link to your signature is here:

Account - settings - signature

That is SO bizarre. I checked it like three times when asked to change it and it said 25. I even asked a couple people to look at it for me to make sure I had done it right.  I hope it is showing correctly now. Please let me know. Thanks.

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, FakeItTilYouMakeIt said:

That is SO bizarre. I checked it like three times when asked to change it and it said 25. I even asked a couple people to look at it for me to make sure I had done it right.  I hope it is showing correctly now. Please let me know. Thanks.

It now states: "Current Medication:  Pristiq 25mg since May 23, 2018"

But this isn't correct, either, since you stated you were on 50 mg on May 23. Your reduction came later, as you posted in June: 

On 6/25/2018 at 8:02 PM, FakeItTilYouMakeIt said:

My psychiatrist recently changed my script to 25mg of Pristiq so I am on the lowest dose.

Please keep your original dose in your signature AND add in the new dose like this:

Pristiq 50 mg May 23, 2018 

Pristiq 25 mg June 25, 2018

Moderators need to see not only where you currently are with your drugs, but what changes you've made. 

I am so sorry I keep flubbing this up. I sat down at the table with my calendar and it should be accurate now. The only exception is the Lexapro. I was on 20 mg but was attempting to wean off of it by microtapering with a scale  when I was hit with suicidal thoughts. It would take me forever to write it out. I will try to take a picture of Mays calendar and post it. 

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

• Administrator

How are you feeling now? Since you've been taking 25mg Pristiq, how has your symptom pattern changed?

Today is day 7 at the lower dose.

I feel fatigued today. 

Headache. 

Nothing I can't deal with. Thankful it is Sunday and a day of rest.

How long do symptoms typically last when reducing?  

It's weird that I feel so tired today when I got a solid five hours of sleep last night. For me that's a lot. 

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

My neurologist prescribed Flexeril for sciatic nerve pain I've been having. 

Is it safe? I read that it's a close relationship to an AD or something. 

And if I take one, should I list it in my signature? Does anyone have suggestions on what to take for sciatic nerve pain?

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

• Administrator
1 hour ago, FakeItTilYouMakeIt said:

Today is day 7 at the lower dose.

I feel fatigued today. 

Headache. 

Nothing I can't deal with. Thankful it is Sunday and a day of rest.

How long do symptoms typically last when reducing?  

It's weird that I feel so tired today when I got a solid five hours of sleep last night. For me that's a lot. 

Do you feel better or worse than you did 10 days ago?

Flexiril is a neuroactive drug. It may complicate your situation. Please read up on it on drugs.com. To check for potential interactions with what you're currently taking, put the drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Physical therapy is a much better way than drugs to deal with sciatica, which is caused by weakness or misalignment in the spine that irritates or pinches a nerve.

Thank you very much. 

Considering I was having suicidal thoughts before Pristiq, I am doing much better. I haven't felt like myself since this whole thing started so I am just not sure if it's from the AD, stopping the Ativan, sleep deprivation, or what. Today, that feeling of being "overmedicated" is back. It's hard to describe. But that's why my Dr. Said to reduce from 50 to 25. 

The Ativan use is what really confused me. According to the support group for that I can be having withdrawal symptoms for another year from that. So part of me wants to stay at the 25mg and see if I can find a feeling of being myself and part of me wants to quit putting f this poison in my body and doesn't think I will ever feel normal until I am off the AD for a year. 

Should I start tapering the Pristiq in a month or so?? 

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

Wow!!!!!

Interactions between your drugs

Major

cyclobenzaprine desvenlafaxine

Applies to: Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine), Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

Using cyclobenzaprine together with desvenlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Medications:

Previous Medication: 

Iron

• Administrator

Strongly recommend physical therapy instead.