Lolita: Prozac withdrawal

Lolita

Hi everyone!

First of all, I want to appologize for my english ....Im mostly french!😉

I have been reading here since a little while but first time I write. 

I have anxiety since 12 years. I am 40 yrs old  female. Been  on meds  since 11 yrs.  I have been on almost every ad. Lots of them didnt suit me. Never been able To stay more than 4 yrs on one med cause it pooped out.

I starter feeling really  dizzy a year and a half afp  (was on lexapro at that time ). Anxiety and fatigue game back. So tried different meds again with always many side effects even at low dose. 

So back in march (On prozac 20mg)  I decided that maybe or was time for me To try  my life without meds. Juste To say, or is a big step for me cause I have thaught that I was meant To be on this for life.

Si since the beginning or april, I slowly decrease from 20mg To 5mg (now). I have the liquid form.

Still take my clonazepam 1/4 of 0.5mg at night. 

The more I decrease, dizziness decreased also. People tells me I look more alive ! Cause I always felt kinna stone. 

I still had anxiety but it was manageable. 

But since a week, I feel more anxious and short of breath.  I feel sometimes near To have panic attack over the fact that  Im not breathing correctly. I put si much focus on that.

Since 2 dans, I cry more also. ...

What the heck is going on with me?????

Does that mean I wont ne able To live without it ???

Psychiatriscian had no clue how To wean us. That fustrate me. I was the one who did the withdrawal plan and ask Her for liquid form. Now she almost laugh at me saying Im not suppose to feel any withdrawal symptoms with prozac and mostly at 5mg. She  tells me its probably the anxiety coming back !?

So what do you think?

Also....is Ltheanin good for my withdrawal? Someone refered me that?

Thank you again!

Lolita

2006-2010 effexor 

2010-2011 differents ad for a year: cymbalata, lexapro, wellbutrin, pristiq, lexapro, trintellix 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

2017 to 2018 lexapro, effexor, zoloft, lexapro, zoloft, citalopram, lexapro, and

prozac 20 February: Prozac 10 mg,  1 March: Prozac 20 mg,  4 April: 30 mg,  8 April: 20 mg,  28 April: 10 mg,  10 May: 8 mg,  13 May: 7.5 mg,

19 May: 5 mg, 23 May: 4 mg, 29 May: 5 mg., 1 June: 8 mg, 9 June to  of july: 5 mg.

switch to zoloft 25mg (10 days), 50mg from july 30 to august 20. Down to 37.5mg until sept 12th, now at 25mg.

clonazepam 0,5mg since january 2017. I take 1/4 to 3/4 mx everyday.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lolita: Prozac withdrawal
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lolita

• Altostrata

• manymoretodays

• Songbird

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Lolita, and welcome to SA.

Your symptoms are not a sign that you can't live without the drug.  They are a result of tapering too fast.  At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.

To help you understand the symptoms you are experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.  The withdrawal time doesn't necessarily correlate with the time you were on the drug.  These drugs alter the architecture of the brain, and the time necessary to heal the brain and return to homeostasis is, unfortunately, impossible to predict.  

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Please be aware that sometime withdrawal symptoms don't appear immediately after a too-fast taper.

I suggest that you stop tapering and hold at your present dosage of both drugs for several months to let your brain stabilize.  Then, once you have stabilized, you can begin a safe, slow 10% taper of the Prozac while leaving the Clonazepam unchanged.  If I am reading your post correctly, your symptoms--though unpleasant--are tolerable, which is an argument for holding.

If your symptoms do become intolerable, you can consider a reinstatement of a very small amount of Prozac (probably 1 mg maximum).  Reinstatement of a small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.   Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Psychiatrists know little, if anything about tapering or antidepressant withdrawal, and (like your doctor) don't believe it exists.  What she said about your symptoms being due to your anxiety returning is a typical uninformed response.

Because the nervous systems of those in withdrawal are so sensitive, we don't recommend a lot of supplements, but two that we do recommend are magnesium and omega oil.
Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.  

While it is often a first response to stress to take a B-Complex, in withdrawal it can be overstimulating.

Many members have found the non-drug techniques in the following links helpful in dealing with withdrawal.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you soooo much Gridley !

That is an awsome response full of precious informations !

I'll definitly go throw it carefully.

I Will try To stay at 5mg for a bit.

Do you think that the sensation of beeing short of breath like having a hard time breathing can be relate ???

That juste stress me a lot!

You talked about few suppléments.. .what about L-theanine???

Thank you for your support !

2006-2010 effexor 

2010-2011 differents ad for a year: cymbalata, lexapro, wellbutrin, pristiq, lexapro, trintellix 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

2017 to 2018 lexapro, effexor, zoloft, lexapro, zoloft, citalopram, lexapro, and

prozac 20 February: Prozac 10 mg,  1 March: Prozac 20 mg,  4 April: 30 mg,  8 April: 20 mg,  28 April: 10 mg,  10 May: 8 mg,  13 May: 7.5 mg,

19 May: 5 mg, 23 May: 4 mg, 29 May: 5 mg., 1 June: 8 mg, 9 June to  of july: 5 mg.

switch to zoloft 25mg (10 days), 50mg from july 30 to august 20. Down to 37.5mg until sept 12th, now at 25mg.

• Administrator

Welcome, Lolita.

Yes, anxiety and shortness of breath can be withdrawal symptoms. Hold on tapering for a while as Gridley suggested and these symptoms should very gradually fade.

Please visit our Symptoms and Self-Care forum and use search to learn about particular supplements.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi everyone !

I am withrawing prozac since the beginning of april.  Was on it since the end or febuary but it gave me bad side effects. Been on different AD since 11 years for anxiety.  Last year, I changed ad a few  times cause of side effects. Its like or my body didnt want or anymore.  Felt stone, anxious, always tired and dizzy....even at low dose.

So, for the first time since I was put on it, I decided To give it a chance and start a withdrawal.  Its a big step for me just To go that way !!!

I was on 20mg or prozac at thé begining of april and now Im at 4 mg.

The more I lowered the dose, the less I felt stone and dizzy.

I had better state or mind and last week, I even went to a trip To Vegas without anxiety during the day!

I came back tired and on the way back(in airplane), I almost bad a panic attack over my breathing. Since then, I feel like I have To focus on my breathing like I will stop breathing or ira fake.

Weird!!!

Im also pretty anxious and scared that its mean I am boy sur or capable of  living without those meds.

But I wish so hard To leave ithout it. 

Those meds helped me in the past but never long and I feel like they kind of ruined something in me.

Doc always told me that I'll have To be on it for life!??? 

Do we really have to?

Even my clonazepam doesnt week To work the same ( for my breathing ).

Its like if I got over the dizzy nightmare, and now its a new symptoms....the breathing!

What wrong? Am I going To male it ?

Is it possible to live again without it?

Also...I Will have my periods soon.. .maybe that has an impact???

Sorry about my english. ...Im french 😉

Thanks for your advises/support!

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

Welcome. I am sure someone will be coming on here to help you navigate this forum either tonight or tomorrow.

Daisy🌺

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

14 hours ago, Daisy said:

Welcome. I am sure someone will be coming on here to help you navigate this forum either tonight or tomorrow.

Daisy🌺

When I posted the above Lolita, I thought you were just newly here. I extend my welcome but forget the rest because Altostrata and Gridley had already responded to you.

Daisy🌺

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/1/2018 at 9:33 PM, Lolita said:

Im also pretty anxious and scared that its mean I am boy sur or capable of  living without those meds.

But I wish so hard To leave ithout it. 

Those meds helped me in the past but never long and I feel like they kind of ruined something in me.

Doc always told me that I'll have To be on it for life!??? 

Do we really have to

What wrong? Am I going To male it ?

Is it possible to live again without it?

Also...I Will have my periods soon.. .maybe that has an impact???

Hello L and welcome to SA.

Yes, hormones definitely have a strong relationship with withdrawal. 

We definitely do *not* have to be on the "meds" for life! That's the good news. It may take some doing to come off, but it can definitely be done. There is proof all around this site. : ) 

When you get a chance, please create a "signature" that will help everyone to see where you're at currently with your dosages. There is more info here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better. 

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

I have a question...

Is the withdrawal the same for every ad.

I heard effexor and paxil are pretty hard but what about prozac ? Its half life je longer than the others so do we have To withdraw the same way?

Thanks and pretty interesting btw!

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

That's one of the biggest challenges that we face here. These drugs are not interchangeable, each ones acts a bit differently, each combination of drugs acts different still and each person reacts in an individual manner to them.  There are many similarities and those are what we strive to work with.  We have a huge number of case studies but don;t have the people or time to sort through it all and come up with a protocol for each individual drug.  Our information shows that yes Effexor and Paxil are two of the hardest to get off of and Prozac is a bit easier. But ask anyone coming off of any other drug and you will get a different answer. Now we are getting the next generation of ADs showing up and they make Paxil look like candy to get off of.  Half life is only a small part of the equation, sensitivity to the drug, previous taper rates, drug combinations, stopping and starting drugs to fine tune a cocktail and a few dozen other factors all need to be considered.  That's why our recommended taper of 10% every four weeks is a recommended starting point.  It works for a lot of people and gives a good place to fine tune the taper from.

When all is said and done the drug you're tapering is the hardest one to get off of.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks for your response !!!

I will look for my signature!

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

Hi everyone!

Some updates...

I tried To stay at 4mg but reinstate at 5mg since 3 days. The main problem I have since 2-3 weeks is  shortness or breath like a big oppression in my

thorax. Like or I have To focus at my breathing.  Even my swallowing is sometimes weird??? first, I thaught it was a virus but I think its anxiety. 

The things is I probably tapered To fast from 25-20mg ( beginning of april) To 4 mg around the 20th or may. 

I also cut down my clonazepam at the same time. 

Recently, I felt near panic attack over my breathing. ...hate this! 

I sent up To 5mg and will try To stay there a little bit. 

I have mix feelings... like if Im discourage that I have this symptom. And scared that I'll never make it To zero. 

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

• Moderator Emeritus
Please hold at 5 mg and give the reinstatement a chance to work.  

Remember, it takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  Please Keep Notes on Paper so that we can tell updosing is working.

We recommend you taper only one drug at a time. I would hold on the Clonazepam until you have finished your Prozac taper.  The Clonazepam will help buffer the withdrawal effects from the Prozac.

Th best way to insure that you will get to zero is to taper slowly.  You can make it.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks Gridley!

Your advises and this forum is really reassuring!

I will keep it at this dose. Just hope this breathing thing is really relate to that and it will pass!

I keep notes about my dosages and the time. I Will try to elaborate more.

😉

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lolita,

This is an example:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

A symptom pattern that occurs regularly over several days could mean the symptoms are from withdrawal, other adverse effects of drugs, or something else you do on a daily schedule.

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms.

What we need to see for every individual day over several days is:

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in morning
- Time and description of any symptoms in the morning

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in afternoon
- Time and description of any symptoms in the afternoon

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in evening
- Time and description of any symptoms in the evening

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in middle of the night
- Time and description of any symptoms in the middle of the night (such as waking)

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, such as:

6 a.m. Woke and vomited
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Had diarrhea
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Stomachache
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Headache got worse
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke with headache

An appointments diary is perfect for this and can be bought at stationery stores. 

They have a page for each day with times for appointments which can be filled in with doses, symptoms etc as shown by Alto.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks Chessiecat !!!

I will do that for sure...

But I already write the dosages if each day and the time.  

I take my prozac at 9pm with 1/4 or my 0.5mg clonazepam.

I use To take prozac in morning or mid day but I bad too much dizziness. 

Since I lowered my dose and switched for night, I have less.

But since 2 days, I have headache in thé morning. Maybe because I reinstate 5mg instead of 4mg.??? Who knows???

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

Since a few days I noticed that I have hot flashes....mostly in the face.

Im 40 so don't think it's menopause.

Maybe its the coffee I drink that affect me even a few hours later. 

I really have to quit on coffee...lol

Also feeling more tired even after a good night sleep.

I have to say that the last year, I was put on a few ad and none really helped me. Always had so much side effects.

So withdrawing is like the continuation if that with some side betters and some new ones.

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

Just for making a track, I will post what my withdrawal was like....

Prozac started on febuary 20th at 10mg

March 1 to april 3 : 20mg ( never felt good, stoned, dizzy, anxiety...)

April 4 to 7: 30mg (soo bad,so stoned, shaky, dizzy, anxious)

April 8 to 17: 20mg (decided it was enough after my last year of trying different ad and tired of side effect)

April 18 -19: 18mg

April 20-27: 15mg  (felt little better that with higher dose, headaches, still little dizzy and anxious)

April 28-29: 10mg (suggest by doctor )

April 30 and may 1: back to 14mg (talk to pharmacist and she suggest going back to 14 for 2 days and 10 after)

May 2 to may 9: 10mg ( improvement of my dizziness, tired,)

May 10-12:  8mg ( switched to liquid form)

May 13 to15: 7.5mg (big tension headaches, tired, brain fog, anxiety still there but not the same.)

May 16 to 18: 6mg ( same side effects)

May 19 to 22: 5mg (dizziness almost all gone)

May 23 to 29: 4mg ( felt good , no big anxiety, only started to feel breathing issue like oppression by the 25)), felt like I would stop breathing when I fall asleep)

May 29 to 31 : 5mg5mg ( crying, big anxiety, discourage, breathing issue, near panic attack,  really tired...)

June 1 to 8: 4mg same thing

June 9and today : 5mg ( big headache since back to 5mg, feeling soo hot in face but no fever, digest issues,tired, breathing is better but still not as usual)

So this is it!

While I reread that, I see that it was way tooo fast and with big steps! Im always questionning myself about my symptoms (hypocondriac😉) and trying to figure what is wrong but maybe the whole thing was that I was in withdrawal. And even when I started the whole thing, I wasnt doing good with prozac. 

I will stay on 5mg for a bit.

And when we all know its hard and fast, I have my doctor almost laughing at me....saying I am not suppose to feel bad! And that if I do, its because og my anxiety that needs to be address!

Last appointment she almost suggest that I go back to work! Stupid!

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

Alto or anyone....

I have a question... when I lower from 10mg to 8mg in may, I was switched from original prizac pills to fluoxetine liquid form.

Is it possible that I do worse on liquid form? I mean the intense headaches , the breathing issues, anxiety and now the feeling of beeing really hot in my face/head with red face? Can it be relate? 

I feel so bad....

So freaking tired of meds and symptoms.  Im on meds since 11 years. But since january 17 (was on lexapro 2 years till then), I got switch to effexor, zoloft, lexapro, zoloft again, celexa, lexapro again and prozac....Its like nothing worked anymore! Whats wrong!?

I really dont know what to do and dont want to feel like that for years and life!

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

• Moderator Emeritus

Some people have a negative reaction when switching from tablet to liquid.  Did you do a crossover (gradual) switch or did you just switch?  A sudden switch with could cause a reaction.  

Your choice is to wait it out and see if you stabilize. That is, give the liquid a chance to work.  If it doesn't, you can go back to the tablet.  If you go back to tablet, do it gradually:

3/4 liquid, 1/4 tablet 3 days (same 8mg dose)

1/2 liquid, 1/2 tablet 3 days

1/4 liquid, 3/4 tablet 3 days

all tablet thereafter

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

It was a direct switch directly from 10mg pill to 8mg liquid.

When I look and read my notes (calendar), I just realize that I had a major headache episode like now 3 days after the change. I change the original prozac pill to fluoxetine liquid on may 10 and started to have big ups and downs and weird side effects since then.

Maybe I would have that even with the pill but its a question I have.

If I go back to the pill , how will I manage to know exactly my dose? Cause when I say pill I mean a capsule . 

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

OMG! Its really difficult!

I feel like crying few times during the day.

Anxiety is sooo present....

I feel like going back to the doctor and ask for new ad. But I tried sooo many in the last year without succes.

Is there a moment we have to admit to ourselves that our anxiety needs to be address by med? Or can we really cure?

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

So I decided to up my dose a little. ..

I took 6mg tonight.

Today I felt really sensitive, emotionnal, anxious and like I could cry so much.

Had those breathing oppression that I think is anxiety. 

Do you think it was a good thing to reinstate a little?

Should I have done more than going from 4 mg last week to 5mg and to 6mg???

I mean, should I reinstate 8 or 10?

Thank for helping me!

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/12/2018 at 9:19 AM, Lolita said:

Prozac started on febuary 20th at 10mg

March 1 to april 3 : 20mg ( never felt good, stoned, dizzy, anxiety...)

April 4 to 7: 30mg (soo bad,so stoned, shaky, dizzy, anxious)

April 8 to 17: 20mg (decided it was enough after my last year of trying different ad and tired of side effect)

April 18 -19: 18mg

April 20-27: 15mg  (felt little better that with higher dose, headaches, still little dizzy and anxious)

April 28-29: 10mg (suggest by doctor )

April 30 and may 1: back to 14mg (talk to pharmacist and she suggest going back to 14 for 2 days and 10 after)

May 2 to may 9: 10mg ( improvement of my dizziness, tired,)

May 10-12:  8mg ( switched to liquid form)

May 13 to15: 7.5mg (big tension headaches, tired, brain fog, anxiety still there but not the same.)

May 16 to 18: 6mg ( same side effects)

May 19 to 22: 5mg (dizziness almost all gone)

May 23 to 29: 4mg ( felt good , no big anxiety, only started to feel breathing issue like oppression by the 25)), felt like I would stop breathing when I fall asleep)

May 29 to 31 : 5mg5mg ( crying, big anxiety, discourage, breathing issue, near panic attack,  really tired...)

June 1 to 8: 4mg same thing

June 9and today : 5mg ( big headache since back to 5mg, feeling soo hot in face but no fever, digest issues,tired, breathing is better but still not as usual)

Lolita, please can you copy the above into your signature (click on the arrow beside your user name top right of the screen, click on Account Settings, click on Signature on the left).  Please also add this information:

23 hours ago, Lolita said:

was on lexapro 2 years till then), I got switch to effexor, zoloft, lexapro, zoloft again, celexa, lexapro again and prozac.

On 5/31/2018 at 8:43 AM, Lolita said:

clonazepam 1/4 of 0.5mg at night. 

I think a big part of your problem is that you have made so many changes, your system has become very confused.  First all the different med changes, and then since starting Prozac you have changed your dose every few days.  Your system has never had a chance to adjust because the situation keeps changing.

I think your best bet is to pick a dose and stick with it consistently, the same dose every day for at least a couple of months - don't keep changing it every few days based on your symptoms.  Since it seems Prozac never worked well for you, I think it is unlikely that there is a perfect dose that will magically cure all your symptoms.  You may have to accept that some symptoms may be with you for quite some time, and find some non-med ways to cope with them (see our Symptoms and Self-Care forum).  Here is a good topic to start with:

non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Hi songbird!

First of all, I would like to thank you so much for your response !! I so appreciate it! I appreciate everyone's responses and help throught this journey! 

You are absolutely right! Everytime I had an appointment at my doctor, she was changing my doses or switching me or combining stuff! This was king of fustrating and scary! And when I was telling her that I didnt feel well, she'd say I wasnt suppose to, that it was anxiety, in my head or that she didnt know what to do with me anymore. Felt horrible on almost every med since a year!

Back in 2011, she did the same thing... changing me with 7 ad in 8 months!!!

So she ask me to see a psychiatrist in september saying I needed that because I was too reactive and sensitive over medication. Even her, she tells me that I tried everything (ssri snri). So they make me feel like Im an alien! I was diagnose with burnout and anxiety disorder. 

I had years when I was functionnal, working with my treatment but also I had fatigue and never 100% free of anxiety.

I made a genetic test and it came if that I am a slow metaboliser and that only few antidepressants  (4) where suppose to fit me. But I develop intense dizziness and vertigo while in ad. And every single one I tried made that!

Beeing at 20mg or more of prozac made me not only dizzy but lethargic, anxious, no motivation, and felt brain fog and stone all the time.

As I lower the dose....around 8 or 10mg, those symptoms kind of lift.

But I think its when I lowered more that new symptoms appeared. ..such as the oppression in thorax, breathing issues, hot face, headaches,...

So I will figure out the right dose. ...not a big one but stick with it a bit! Hope I will do well...

I will do my signature....

Thank a lot!

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

Songbird, 

I am trying to copy the infos in my signature but it doesnt want to save....its saying too many lines????

What should I do?

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

• Moderator Emeritus

Take the symptoms out and just include the drugs, dates and doses.  You could put more than one per line, until it accepts.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

Last night, I had a hard time falling asleep.

So i sept in am. I feel tired now and its only been 5-6 hours that I am awake.

Dont know if its the fact that I upped my dose from 5 to 6mg last night???

I image that I have to settle on that.

Dont know I much more I need to increase to feel less anxiety??

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

Little update...

So I just had a visit at my doctor office today.

She wants me to withdraw prozac 5mg...She says I dont respond well to AD and to reinstate or change would not be a good idea.

At first, she was asking for me to quit everything now, saying 5mg is almost a joke dosage. I asked her to extension a bit. Told her that even if she doesnt believe in withdrawal symptoms that I dont want to fall in bad position by doing it to fast.

She will only extension it until mid july and after that... nothing.

So Im stuck with that reality.

I have to withdraw 5mg in about 4-5 weeks.

How to do it the best way???

Any advises?

Thanks

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, most doctors are clueless about withdrawal.  How much Prozac liquid do you have left?  Is it possible you could find another doctor?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

Hello Songbird!

I know...its sad and fustrating!

I have 9ml liquid left and doc will prescribe me for 3 more weeks so around 26ml ( 1.25 ml/ 5mg).

I dont think I have access to another doc...

How di I manage all that?

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

Any tips for my situation???

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

So from today, I will be having around 34 ml to go with....

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lolita,

I think that your job now would be to convince your doctor/prescriber that you feel like the 5 mg. dose of liquid is really working well for you.  And get a prescription for a whole bottle of the Prozac/fluoxetine solution.  I believe the bottle comes in a 4 ounce size.  That's 120 millileters. 

In other words........give up on talking withdrawal and tapering with him/her.  That's not working at all in your favor right now.  Do your best when talking with your doctor to stay cool and collected as well.  I know it can be difficult as you are already in W/D from a rapid reduction, as well as a change from tablets to solution.  Tell him/her you are feeling more stable and would like a whole months worth supply with refills if possible.

Also........please try and get your signature done.  Take a look at Songbirds for an example(doesn't have to be in color).

Maybe this will help a bit with that too.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature."

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16,  medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks for the reply Manymoretodays!

I actually did say to my doctor what you say but she wont give me more!

I told her I want to stabilise on what I have.... but she says she wont prescribe more than 3 weeks plus what I have left...wich is about a week !

So I will have to do with that.... unfortunatly!

I will do my signature later today...

2006-2010 effexor 

2011-2015 zoloft

2015-2017 lexapro 

• Administrator

Lolita, you cannot talk to another doctor? Any doctor can prescribe these drugs.

Have you told your doctor that even at the slow rate you're reducing, you have withdrawal symptoms?

Do you have any tablets left?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.