Seeda

Does anybody recover from Risperidone?

Seeda

My husband suffered a psychotic episode in his thirties with no previous history of anything like this.  It was terrifying for me, seeing it happen, and watching him completely lose his mind entirely.  Eventually, he was hospitalised because I just had no idea what else to do.  I'd spent days arguing with him, trying to make him see sense.  I didn't realise then that you can't just talk a delusional person into sanity.

But what I didn't realise either was what would happen after he was put on drugs.  He was made to take them in hospital and initially put on a 6mg dose of risperidone.  I was supportive of that at first, not knowing what else to do and trusting the doctors.  But since then he has seemed emotionless and empty.  When he has felt emotion, it has been horrible things, like wishing he would die and awful dark feelings of sadness.  He has no motivation or drive for anything anymore, and says he has lost all pleasure in everything in life.  

Eventually, five months later, after reading extensively online, we realised that it isn't just depression that is causing this - it's the risperidone.  It causes brain damage.  Permanent brain damage to the frontal lobe, which deals with feelings of pleasure, motivation and emotion.  Neither of us knew this.  None of this was explained to us.  Since then, he has been tapering off the drug, but still feels 'empty'.

I have read on here by other posters, who seem to post with authority, that this damage isn't permanent and that the central nervous system needs to be given time to recover.  This, people have said, takes months or years.  My question, however, is this:  where are all the people who have recovered from risperidone?  I can't find any success stories, especially not for people who were put on dosages as high as my husband was.  Do people actually recover from this barbaric drug?  If so, where are they?  I can't find anybody, not even on here.  I can't even find anybody posting on here who has been on the drug for years and hasn't recovered.  What happens to all the people who have taken this drug once they come off it?

Are there any patients out there who can tell me what it is like years after stopping the drug?  Or any wives, husbands, fathers, mothers...anybody?  I just can't believe that such a drug can not only be legal but be forced on people, if it permanently damages people in such a way.  

Altostrata

Hello, Seeda. The drug does not cause permanent damage such as you describe, but it can take a long time for the anesthetized feelings to come back. Recovery is very slow and frustrating.

Please go to the Introductions topic and search for "risperidone" or "Risperdal." We have many people who have tapered off and going on with their lives.

It's very important that your husband taper properly so that he does not spend years recovering from withdrawal syndrome as well. Please ask him to register and start a topic for himself in the Introductions forum to discuss tapering.

Rosetta

This person had that empty feeling, too, but recovered.  It took a year.  This is the success story, and there is a link in the thread that will take you back to the full story.

I'm sad for you that you are going through this, but never lose hope.  It's not permanent damage.  It's very, very important that your husband avoid any and all drugs that affect the mind from now on.  Once this sort of damage is done, the mind and body are very, very sensitive.  He should not take any antidepressants, benzodiazepines, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers," etc.  

Even some antibiotics can affect the mind.  The term for having a bad reaction to an antibiotic is being "floxxed."  He should avoid antibiotics that are known for causing psychiatric reactions.  Most of them have the letters "flox" in the name, but not all.  

He should also avoid adrenaline-based numbing agents at the dentist -- ask for the non-adrenaline alternative.  Avoid elective surgery and put off any surgery that he can as long as possible.  Anesthesia is not good after an injury such as this.  Having sedation for a colonoscopy or having the wisdom teeth out is a bad idea, too.  

Essentially, he must be very, very gentle with his body and his central nervous system while he is recovering.  You may want to take a look at the topics about supplements.  The only two supplements recommended on SA are magnesium and fish oil.  All other vitamins, etc. are potentially problematic.  

I have found that I can take ibuprophen, but I avoid everything else.  Of course, marijuana is a bad idea, too.  He should treat himself like a baby when it comes to what he puts in his body.  He may find that coffee and tea cause a reaction.  He may want to keep sugar intake very low.  Caffeine and sugar affect the nervous system and mind, too.

The most important part of my recovery has been the fact that my husband has stayed by me and taken care of me when I couldn't.  You may find it very difficult, but your love and care will be a major part of your husband's recovery.

Best of luck to you,

Rosetta

Seeda

Thank you all so much, but this terrifies me.  The only people who seem to recover are people who have been on low doses for hardly any time. My husband was on a really high dose for 5 months. Nobody seems to recover. Nobody even seems to post after initially coming off this stuff.  Are people even still alive? I can't believe he was put on this stuff and that nobody even asked us or told us what this would do. He is in a kind of living hell and it seems to me that there is little evidence that it will end.

Seeda

Anyone?

Altostrata

I just have to say, whenever I see topics titled "does anyone ever recover from ____?", my first reaction is -- What do you think we're doing here?

There would be no point in running a Web site for getting people off drugs if they didn't recover from the whole ordeal.

I see you did not do this:

On 5/30/2018 at 6:54 PM, Altostrata said:

Please go to the Introductions topic and search for "risperidone" or "Risperdal." We have many people who have tapered off and going on with their lives.

Or you would see that many, many people are going off risperidone who have been on the drug for far longer than 5 months. Yes, they do recover.

The way you're phrasing your posts, it's as though you want to be told no one ever recovers. Why is that?

Seeda

There is no need to be quite so aggressive in your manner.  I am here because I am desperately scared.  I did look up those tags, and I spent a long time reading them.  I am not sure where you are looking, but I can find few stories, either here or on the internet in general, by people who had taken this drug for a prolonged period of time and are posting many months or years after coming off it saying that the symptoms go away.  I can't find them.  I can find stories of people who didn't take it for a long time who have recovered, and stories of people coming off it right now, but none who took this drug for a long time, came off it and regained normal functioning.  There are lots of posts of people saying it WILL happen, but where's evidence?  The lack of evidence is absolutely terrifying me.  It makes me feel cold with fear.

I most certainly do NOT want to be told that.  I am desperate to be told otherwise.

Shep

Seeda, the people who recover move on. Many don't leave a success story - they are too busy getting on with their lives. Also, many more people come to this website for antidepressant withdrawal (as it is a website called Surviving Antidepressants). So we don't have nearly as many members coming off antipsychotics as those coming off of antidepressants. 

I spent 30 years on various antipsychotics and at various doses and am recovering nicely at three years off.  Will Hall spent 10 years on many drugs - including antipsychotics - and now works to help people come off. In the first few minutes of this video, he describes his experiences:

Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs: A Harm Reduction Approach to Medication Withdrawal | Will Hall video (40 minutes)

So to say that people don't heal even with long term antipsychotic use is simply not true. Does that mean that everyone heals? We simply don't know. 

Are you familiar with the concept of neuroplasticity?

Norman Doidge on the brain and neuroplasticity video (8.5 minutes)

Neuroplasticity and limbic retraining

If you and your husband keep traveling down the road of the "these drugs cause brain damage therefore nobody heals" you may not find your way back to a different road. That's the "dark side" of neuroplasticity:

Norman Doidge - The Dark Side of Neuroplasticity video (2 minutes)

Keep in mind the neuroplasticity saying - "neurons that fire together wire together". 

I would encourage your husband to join SA himself. And also, to direct him here to find ways of managing his symptoms and moving in a more positive direction. 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

arwilliams

Alto is right I'm not convinced they cause long term damage that is impossible to overcome in the vast majority of cases.  If you are abusing the drug which I have seen then maybe.  If you aren't following FDA's advice again maybe.  Everyone has there opinion of the worst side effect from the drug, you can read my threads for my opinion of such.

What do the studies show?  Neuroleptics/Antipychotics can potentially kill brain cells but sharpies, alcohol, and natural things can do that.  Many Psychiatrists have often complained they don't and that the decreased grey matter in mental health patients is do to the condition.  The funny thing is when they did controlled studies in animal subjects and cut open there brains afterwards they did find that the grey matter in the animals on Psychiatric drugs were definitely statistically smaller.   I have not taken Risperidone but I would say that it is probably likely to come off of.  The sedating drugs are the worst in my experience and Risperidone is by far not the worst of them in terms of sedation.

Altostrata

ar, watch out how you phrase your posts -- people might mistake you for an expert and follow your advice!

"Long-term damage" is not a very meaningful term. It can take a good while, maybe years, to recover from a psychiatric drug. But we have people here who have done so, even after many years on drugs.

On the other hand, what's the cost of staying on a psychiatric drug you don't need? Especially for the anti-psychotics, the risk of degradation of health, such as development of diabetes, increases.

What's happened has happened. You cannot tell the future and you cannot reverse time. One way or the other, you need to make decisions and move on. You will need to accept the uncertainty.

jamesbond747
On 6/3/2018 at 7:18 PM, Seeda said:

There is no need to be quite so aggressive in your manner.  I am here because I am desperately scared.  I did look up those tags, and I spent a long time reading them.  I am not sure where you are looking, but I can find few stories, either here or on the internet in general, by people who had taken this drug for a prolonged period of time and are posting many months or years after coming off it saying that the symptoms go away.  I can't find them.  I can find stories of people who didn't take it for a long time who have recovered, and stories of people coming off it right now, but none who took this drug for a long time, came off it and regained normal functioning.  There are lots of posts of people saying it WILL happen, but where's evidence?  The lack of evidence is absolutely terrifying me.  It makes me feel cold with fear.

I most certainly do NOT want to be told that.  I am desperate to be told otherwise.

i read many stories of people who took it for a long time and recovered.So here in your desperation i can advise you where your husband is at-there might have been some trauma incident like death of some near ones,which made him go psychotic in first place its just the same i read why everone has to be prescribed such meds.You have a long way to go in life so i would ask you to find out what incident made him go through this.If not able to do so then i would suggest to read other similar stories here in this site for the path to be followed.If you still feel helpless,I sincerely believe you should personal message the admins and mods for guidance each stage in your life you so that your life could be back on track.These guyz are really helping and experienced folks.

Seeda

I just wanted to let you all know that my husband tapered off the drugs and, despite awful withdrawal effects for a few weeks, has found a return of his happiness, motivation and emotions. There is hope. 

Altostrata

Thank you for letting us know, Seeda. I'm happy for your husband and you.

Glosmom

Seeda, This is great news!  Considering where you were in your first post and where you are now, it would be great if you could give a few more specifics in time frames and how your husband weaned off risperdal (how many days/ weeks he was on a certain dose...the weaning you did so to speak), when he finally 'jumped to zero' and then how many weeks / months until he 'returned to happiness.'

That way his story can inspire hope for others....others who may feel exactly as you did when you first posted back in May.  So if anyone else is desperate for stories of hope....they will find yours as one of them.   

Thanks for your consideration!  Again, great new that your husband is doing better. peace, glosmom

Shep
On 5/30/2018 at 5:05 PM, Seeda said:

I can't find any success stories, especially not for people who were put on dosages as high as my husband was.  Do people actually recover from this barbaric drug?  If so, where are they?  I can't find anybody, not even on here.  I can't even find anybody posting on here who has been on the drug for years and hasn't recovered.  What happens to all the people who have taken this drug once they come off it?

On 8/10/2018 at 3:08 PM, Seeda said:

I just wanted to let you all know that my husband tapered off the drugs and, despite awful withdrawal effects for a few weeks, has found a return of his happiness, motivation and emotions. There is hope. 

I am so glad to hear this, Seeda. Would your husband be willing to write a few lines of his experience to add to the Success Stories section? 

Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

His story would be a welcome addition that I'm sure would inspire others. 

sunnylou

Hi Seeda. Did your husband come off 6mg Risperidone between may and now? It sounds a bit quick. I am tapering Risperidone only from 1mg down but am following the guidelines of no more than a 10℅ drop at a time. I have made 2 drops so far.  I have used a set of milligram scales to weigh the  crushed tablets. I hope your both well.