SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Ijustwantpeace: Lamictal / lamotrigine

Ijustwantpeace

Hi all,

I'm new here. Looking for recs and other people's experience with weaning off Lamotrigine. Stumbled across this on google and here I am. :) So I started to wean my Lamotrigine on April 6. I looked on the FDA website and decided to use their recs of decreasing by 25 mg every 2 weeks. The first wean was pretty crappy, but I've been through worse so I kept going. It wasn't too bad dropping each consecutive 25 mg until I recently dropped to 50mg. Holy crap! Why is this one so bad?? I feel terrible. Stomach is on fire, can't sleep through the night, nauseous, EXHAUSTED, no motivation, super anxious, dizzy, just feel like a zombie. All when I dropped to 50mg. So, I'm getting anxious wondering if I should go back up to 75 for a few more weeks or just suffer through at 50...? Should I start doing that microdosing from this point on? I always felt fine after the initial few days were over when dropping each previous dose, but this time it's terrible. I'm also on clonazepam and have been taking that more regularly since I started this wean, which I was expecting to anyway. This just sucks. I've weaned off of numerous meds throughout the years and this one has to be the worst! 

Lamotrigine 150mg daily since 2010.

Clonazepam 1mg 3xday to start in late 2016, now at 0.25mg 2xday. (Since lamotrigine wean on 4/6, been taking 0.5-1mg ish/day)

Xanax 1mg 2xday to start in 2010, weaned down to 0.5mg 2xday and switched to clonazepam last year in hopes of weaning off soon. 

Weaned off Lexapro, Pristiq, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Sonata and Restoril throughout the years since 2009. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to SA.

Wow, I certainly feel for you, having followed the FDA rec and having suffered so badly.

Take heart: there is a definite reason for all of your symptoms, and that is because, sadly, the FDA does not understand proper and safe tapering. Luckily, that is where this site comes in. It is much, much gentler to go at a rate of 10% per month of the current dosage. But we can worry about that once we get you stable again, which WILL happen. 

To begin, please fill out what's called a "signature" showing what medications you're taking and how long you've been taking them

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Please don't make any changes yet, but read through this information on tapering Lamotrigine: 

When we know a little more about your recent history and changes, we can discuss whether or not to go back up in dose.

Hang on; we will figure this out. Again, welcome. : )

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Clonazepam 1mg 3xday to start in late 2016, now at 0.25mg 2xday. (Since lamotrigine wean on 4/6, been taking 0.5-1mg ish/day)

Xanax 1mg 2xday to start in 2010, weaned down to 0.5mg 2xday and switched to clonazepam last year in hopes of weaning off soon. 

Weaned off Lexapro, Pristiq, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Sonata and Restoril throughout the years since 2009. 

Thank you so much for your help!!! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds good; thanks for filling out that information. 

I'm going to check with the other moderators about possible reinstatement advice and either I or someone else will be in touch with you soon.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Administrator

Welcome, Ijustwantpeace.

What the FDA fails to tell you is: If you get withdrawal symptoms, stop reducing, that will only make it worse.

If I were you, I'd immediately go back to 75mg lamotrigine. Let us know how you're doing. It will take at least a week to judge if this is enough and if you do see improvement, it might be rocky for a good while while you stabilize. When symptoms go away completely, you can resume tapering by tiny amounts.

Also, do not make any other drug changes while you stabilize on the lamotrigine reinstatement, it will confuse things bigly. Keep your benzo intake consistent from day to day. What is your benzo dosing schedule?

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

Using clonazePAM together with lamoTRIgine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Yeah, so I’ll go back up to 75 for now and then start again after I feel okay, but this time super slow. Before i started to wean i was only taking clonazepam  0.25 twice a day. Since the wean I’ve had terrible panic attacks couple times a week so some days I take 0.25 in am and then when I panic i take 0.5...on those days i then sometimes take another 0.25 at bedtime Yesterday was the worst day I have had. Uggg. I was just wanting to expedite this as fast as possible bc I HATE being dependent on this med. I just want to feel better. Won’t listen to the fda anymore. 😕 thank you for the warm welcome and the guidance!!!!!!

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi ijustwantpeace, 

How are you doing?💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.