Felkers: stopped Prozac too fast

Felkers

60 yr old male. 25 years of Prozac. Stopped 40 mg way too fast and have been suffering for months. Ringing ears, can't focus, blurred vision, easily annoyed. Regular Dr. no help at all. Says it is returning depression. 

In great physical health, don't eat sugar, follow Paleo diet. Exercise every day. Too many older family members getting dementia in their 80's and I don't want to go that route! Trying to decide if after two months, I should start a low dose to try to slow the withdrawal symptoms.

CBD Oil seems to help round off the edges. Expensive though. CBD Vape works best and fast but you have to hide the use from everyone!

Edited by Felkers
Left out some info

Antidepressants 40 years. Been through all the popular brands. 15 yrs 40 mg prozac. Cold turkey date April 11, 2018, Still having withdrawal symptoms as of  June 11, 2018. U

• ChessieCat changed the title to I'm Felkers: stopped Prozac too fast
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Felkers, welcome to SA.  Unfortunately many doctors don't know much about anti-depressant withdrawal and often diagnose it as "relapse".

It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings.  See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Reinstating can be something of a gamble, but at just two months off it could be worth a try, if you are suffering very badly.  Please be aware that there is a risk that reinstatement could make symptoms worse.

For more information see our topic about reinstating: about reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

There is a lot of discussion recently about CBD oil.  Unfortunately it is not legal in many places (yet) - we do not recommend any illegal drugs here.  See this topic for discussion of CBD oil:  cannabis marijuana thc or cbd to ease withdrawal symptoms

It sounds like you're doing great with the healthy lifestyle!  That will definitely help with your recovery.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Songbird changed the title to Felkers: stopped Prozac too fast
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Song Bird:

Thanks for the reply!  Added some info to the profile. Note that CBD is now legal in all 50 states. Indiana was one of the last hold outs and it became legal here in late March 2018. Knowing CBD might lessen the withdrawals gave me the idea to try to get out of the prozac trap. It does help and I'm still using it. 

Decided not to try to add back the Prozac even at the lowest dose. After two months I am better. Less  brain fog and confusion, less anger etc.  I have hope but this is going to take a while - hoping also to not drive the wife away!

Thanks again

Felkers

Antidepressants 40 years. Been through all the popular brands. 15 yrs 40 mg prozac. Cold turkey date April 11, 2018, Still having withdrawal symptoms as of  June 11, 2018. U

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Felkers said:

Note that CBD is now legal in all 50 states. Indiana was one of the last hold outs and it became legal here in late March 2018. Knowing CBD might lessen the withdrawals gave me the idea to try to get out of the prozac trap. It does help and I'm still using it. 

Yes, CBD is legal in the U.S. This is an international site, though, and it's not legal everywhere.

We also encourage people to use caution when using CBD in withdrawal: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/5030-cannabis-marijuana-thc-or-cbd-to-ease-withdrawal-symptoms/?tab=comments#comment-12868

I wish you the best in your continued healing.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa