Jarred: anxiety, PTSD, panic disorder, Paxil

Jarred

Hi, 

I'm a 29 year old male who suffered from anxiety since 2013.

I suffered a traumatic experience as an 18 year old back in 2006 but had no anxiety or panic for 8 years following??

Back in 2013 I had a panic attack in a shopping centre, heart palpitation which lead to sweaty hands, a metallic taste in my mouth and then the impending doom and tight chest.. It was my first experience of a Panic Attack and it was horrible.

About 2 weeks late it happened again, and this lead me to become Agoraphobic which ultimately led to me losing my job.

I was now feeling physical symptoms of fatigue, nausea, IBS and many more anxiety symptoms and was subsequently given 20mg of Paxil (Paroxetine) from my GP. (I wish I found this site before I ever started).

I took this and after 3-4 weeks, I felt like I was getting my life back again.

I had used this SSRI from early 2014 until around October 2017 and never suffered a panic attack in that time and thought to myself I was better and doing well.

I wanted to come off, so I went from 20mg to 10mg to 5mg and then every second day (which I now know was the wrong way to taper) but eventually got off in October last year.

I was doing great off the medication, few early symptoms but nothing crazy, until March this year (5 months) and then BANG!!! I got hit with all the same + new crippling anxiety symptoms I never had the first time, shortness of breath, extreme extreme fatigue, body pains and aches, flushing of the face, nausea, headaches, lack of appetite, weird flutters in the chest and butterflies in the stomach, abdomanal pain, lump in the throat, constant cough and trouble swallowing, constant negative thoughts that I was going to have a heart attack, thoughts I just could not stop thinking!! I even get a really weird feeling on my left side under my ribs when my intestines are, I think to myself that's probably where the serotonin is trying to be made but isnt working???

I tried eating completely healthy, no sugar, no caffeine, fish 3 times a week, lean grass fed beef once a week, natural herbal teas and vitamins, CBT but I just couldn't shake off how bad it was getting!

I have been to the hospital 3 times for blood tests, scans, the works, each time finding no problem, they say it's my anxiety and panic disorder.

I decided last week after 2 months of hell to go back on the paxil to stabilise otherwise my next step was into a psych ward. Early this week I was at an all time high with my anxiety and panic and thought this was it. I was so on edge and tense, so I was also prescribed Ativan, I took 1mg and it eased the tension straight away. I haven't wanted to touch it again because I don't want to get hooked to this drug luckily I found info and withdrawal difficulty online in time otherwise I would be poisoning my brain with another drug.

6 days into my second round of paxil, I'm feeling a little better. Im still having mild anxiety at various stages throughout the day, weather it's a negative thought for an hour, or stomach pain, or nausea but I feel stabilised.

Im not sure if I've had a delayed withdrawal from the paxil or if it's a relapse of my old self because not even back in 2013 when I was suffering like this did I get symptoms this bad! 

I need to get better. I have never felt so stressed, tense, sick and detached. My partner is pregnant and I can't be stressing her out and I need to be healthy here for baby #2.

I want to get off this drug, but I think I need some time to get better first.

- Generalised Anxiety

- Health Anxiety 

- PTSD

- Agoraphobia 

- Panic Disorder

Look forward to chatting

2013 - Started Paxil/Paroxetine after multiple panic attacks which lead to Health Anxiety and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

2017 - Was feeling pretty good and felt the time was right. I incorrectly weened my way off in the space of 2 weeks at my doctors advice. 20mg to 10mg to every second day then stop. First few weeks was tough but it was nothing compared to what happened in March this year when I was hit with a delayed withdrawal which 5 doctors have told me isn’t possible.

flu like symptoms, IBS, Extreme Anxiety like I was stuck in Fight or Flight, Nausea, loss of appitite, palpitations, body shakes and tremors, feeling of unease and more.

I reinstated 20mg to stabilise in late May 2018.

first 10 days so far have been the toughest 10 days of my life. On top of all the withdrawal symptoms I’ve mentally be drained. Feel like a zombie, detached, Derealization, not all there, felt like I was going crazy, depressed, not wanting to talk to do anything, extremely tired, night sweats and no emotion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jarred, welcome to SA!  While it is possible to have a relapse of original symptoms after coming off an anti-depressant, with the severity and all the extra symptoms you've been having it definitely sounds like withdrawal.  Many doctors will call it relapse because they don't understand AD withdrawal.

It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings.  See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

What dose of Paxil have you reinstated?  Reinstatement tends to work better when done sooner, rather than after many months, but if it has helped you begin to stabilise already it sounds like you have been lucky.  Please see this topic for more information about reinstating:  about reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  

There are non-med ways of managing anxiety and panic attacks you may want to investigate.  For example, Dr. Claire Weekes wrote a number of books and produced some audio recordings about dealing with anxiety and panic attacks that many people have found very helpful.  For more information see this topic:  The Dr Claire Weekes method of recovering from a sensitized nervous system

You are very sensible to be cautious about Ativan, and to wait for a while to get better before starting to taper again.  

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

You did the right thing Jarred I’m sure the mods will be here soon to look at your case in question. Don’t panic, you are in good hands.

2008-2012: Cymbalta, Zyprexa, Valium (5 days supply),

2012 - Seroquel x 4 weeks C/T. 

2014 - Seroquel x 2 Weeks C/T. Crossed to Risperidone 3mg for 6months until December.

2014 - Stopped Risperidone. Xfer > Anti-Depressant 200mg Zoloft and 6mg Clonazepam. 

2018 - 150mg Clomipromine changed Anti-depressant. Tapered Benzo to 1mg Clonazepam. 2019 - xfer to 20mg Diazepam. 

Currently:

Anafranil: 75mg. 17th Dec 2022 70mg. 27th Dec 22: 75mg, 14 January 23': 70mg. 16-26th January: 50mg (too fast drop no sleep). Jan 28th 2023: 70mg. 20 Feb 2023: 65mg. 11/06: 60mg 9/08: 55mg 15/08/23 : 50mg
3/03/2024: 60mg (Updose)

Diazepam (V): 25th Oct 2019' 20mg. 22 Dec 19' 19mg. 04 Apr 2020' 18mg,  30 September 20' 17.5mg , 13 Nov 2020' 17mg. 01 January 2021: 16mg, 13th Aug 21' 15mg. 1st Nov' 2021 14.5mg. 1st Dec' 2021 14mg. 13 January 2022: 13.5mg, 11 Feb: 13mg.  11 April 22' 12.5mg, 12 May 22': 12mg, 6th September 2022: 11mg Valium. 9th October: 10.5mg, 25th Oct 10mg. 12 March 23: 9.5mg 2 April: 9.25mg 23 April: 9mg 12/05: 8.75 26/05: 8.5 12/09: 8.25 21/09: 8.5. 3/10: 8.25 17/10: 8mg 20th Nov Brassmonkey: (7.9.,7.8, 7.75) 5 Feb: 7.25mg. 23 Feb: 7mg 

*.      Have tried to go at faster rate than 0.5mg but is currently too fast. 

Hi Guys,

Day 7 of my reinstatement of Paxil and gee it’s been a rollercoaster week.

I feel as though my panic and anxiety is already being blanketed/fixed a little but that’s the only good I’ve had from the past week.

My days are constant waves of emotions.

I’ve lost my appetite, have felt nauseas at various stages through the day, last night for the first time I woke up drenched in sweat, I’m only sleeping in 2 hour intervals, not talking or have no emotion towards happy thoughts and feel really detached and not myself.

I have been reinstated on 20mg and I’m certain the Paxil is doing this to me. 

Shiuld i wait it out, is it too early to give up or should I stop?

GP has no idea has just wanted me to take Ativan as well!!

my original problem was anxiety and panic, feeling stuck in fight or flight mode, now I feel more like it’s detaching my mind.

2013 - Started Paxil/Paroxetine after multiple panic attacks which lead to Health Anxiety and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

2017 - Was feeling pretty good and felt the time was right. I incorrectly weened my way off in the space of 2 weeks at my doctors advice. 20mg to 10mg to every second day then stop. First few weeks was tough but it was nothing compared to what happened in March this year when I was hit with a delayed withdrawal which 5 doctors have told me isn’t possible.

flu like symptoms, IBS, Extreme Anxiety like I was stuck in Fight or Flight, Nausea, loss of appitite, palpitations, body shakes and tremors, feeling of unease and more.

first 10 days so far have been the toughest 10 days of my life. On top of all the withdrawal symptoms I’ve mentally be drained. Feel like a zombie, detached, Derealization, not all there, felt like I was going crazy, depressed, not wanting to talk to do anything, extremely tired, night sweats and no emotion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jarred, please can you create a signature with your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  The signature helps us to see a summary of your situation without having to read your whole story in your first post every time.  You could look at my signature for an example.  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings.  See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Did you read the topic about reinstating?  You've reinstated at quite a high dose, it's possible that dose may be a lot for your system to handle after being off for months.  I will consult the other mods and reply to you here.

"Rollercoaster" and "waves of emotions" are to be expected, you may need to ride them for a while.  See:  the windows and waves pattern of stabilization

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Jarred.

Have the side effects from Paxil gotten better or worse over the last 7 days?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Jarred,

I thought I would respond on your thread here.

sorry you've been a victim of Paxil,too.it's a horrible drug.

I guess I've always been an anxious person but it was nothing compared to PaxilWD!

when in a wave I feel anxious,weak,shaky inside,agitated,dark thoughts...etc.

I often have burning skin on feet and back.

I think I'm seeing more improvement lately....I hope it continues.

I'm a lot older than you so hopefully you 'll recover soon.

I hope your reinstatement works out....listen to the mods,they know what they're doing.

take good care,ds

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Today has probably been the best day I’ve had in the past 10. Slight nausea, night sweats last night, little lack of appitite and slight edginess and tense however no cognitive, depressive or mental issues which have been really tough the last week

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jarred: Anxiety, PTSD, panic disorder, Paxil
  • Administrator

That's a good sign, Jarred. How are you doing now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jarred, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jarred: anxiety, PTSD, panic disorder, Paxil