SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

ghm2018: three doses of fluoxetine and 5 months later ...

ghm2018

@Shep @Altostrata

I didn’t sleep last night which is probably related to why I’m struggling today. 

I’m just curious if either of you had ever heard of Cereset or its former name, Brainwave Optimization?  Are you aware if any other SA member had tried it previously? And if so, what was their experience?

I’m trying not to be regretful, but I am because I feel like I’m at square one. Apparently I had made more progress prior to this than I had realized. I will have to take my own advice and learn to accept that this is where I am and hopefully in some weeks, things will settle, although today it’s hard to see how that might happen. 

Has any other SA member done something as ridiculous as this, this far along in their journey?

I apologize for being negative. 

-ghm

2002 - 2014, 500mg Keppra 2x’s/day (anti-seizure med)

2003 thru 2004 - 10 mg Remeron

2005ish - Adverse reactions to single doses of Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro (no long-lasting problems)

2012 - Buspar (overly energized, stopped immediately, no long-lasting problems)

2014 - 1 month taper off of 500mg Keppra (Leviteracitam) - seizure free for 12 years 

2017 - 500mg Leviteracitam (generic keppra) 

2017 - Mid-Dec experienced adverse reaction to Leviteracitam due to different manufacturer. Stopped on Dec 20.

2018 - Jan 1st, 10 mg Fluoxetine (generic prozac) experienced severe adverse reaction after 3 doses and continue to experience issues today. 

2003 - 2018 Ativan, occasionally/rarely
  • Administrator

Add to this topic

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata

Thank you. 

2005ish - Adverse reactions to single doses of Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro (no long-lasting problems)

2014 - 1 month taper off of 500mg Keppra (Leviteracitam) - seizure free for 12 years 

2017 - Mid-Dec experienced adverse reaction to Leviteracitam due to different manufacturer. Stopped on Dec 20.

2018 - Jan 1st, 10 mg Fluoxetine (generic prozac) experienced severe adverse reaction after 3 doses and continue to experience issues today. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Altostrata

Just checking in...I’m still struggling with the aftermath of the session at Cereset. I continue to struggle with sleep. I have been taking .25mg of melatonin around 8pm for several days now, which seems to help with falling asleep, although I tend to want to startle as I fall asleep (but not as bad immediately after the session), but I do seem to be able to fall asleep, but only for around an hour or so and then I wake, but fall back to sleep and then wake again and repeat. I have been having vivid dreams when I do sleep and/or wake up due to a wave typically soaked in sweat and having thoughts of never being able to function normally again. 

I make myself get out of bed and go to work, but doing so takes every ounce of my being.  And then begins the daily cycle of mood swings, adrenal rush, shakes, nerve pain, etc.  All very similar to the immediate adverse reaction to fluoxetine in 2018.  

I’m also attempting .25 mg of magnesium twice a day and soaking in epsom salt in the evening.

Also, I had stopped taking fish oil several months ago. I have no idea why I stopped, other than to say that I had still been having issues with connecting to importance, understanding, perspective, etc.

As for sleep, should I try increasing melatonin or is .25mg too much? 

And for the other symtpoms and returning to base for recovery, will they settle in a matter of weeks, like 10-12 weeks? Or am I looking at weeks in terms of 1-2 years? 

thank you,

-ghm

• Administrator

It sounds like your sleep is starting to recover. I wouldn't change anything that's working. Hang in there, should gradually improve over next couple of weeks.

If startling gets worse, you'd want to take less melatonin, not more.

If you find work stressful, are you able to take a week off or work from home? You might be sensitive to light or heat.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata

Thank you for helping me. I appreciate it. 

Technically, I can work from home as I did for several weeks when the pandemic began, but I was called back into the office. I’ll just need to ask. 

-ghm

@Altostrata

just checking in again...I’m sorry to lean on you as I know there are others here who are in need of your advice for tapering and I’m just the unfortunate result of an adverse reaction.  If there is another moderator/mentor that I should contact, please let me know. 

Can you help me understand why I mood cycle all day long? And then why I seem to be stuck in a 14 day pattern? I noticed this pattern since the adverse reaction to fluoxetine, but now after the Cereset session, the mood cycling includes moods or feelings I haven’t had. Is it likely because the session neuro-activated things that had been blocked? 

I assume that you would not advise attempting to reinstate any kind anti-depressant at this stage? I’m not sure what doctor would prescribe anything for me any way considering my seemingly intolerance of anti-depressants history. 

I’m trying to believe that things will gradually settle in a couple of weeks...after yesterday’s extreme wave of despair, it’s very difficult.

thank you...

-ghm

• Administrator

What do you mean by mood cycling?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

@Altostrata

Thank you for responding.

By mood cycling, I mean that I seem to be in and out of moods/mental states all throughout the day. Maybe the term I need to use is “wave”.  I seem to go from one wave, either emotional, mental or physical, to another all day and now, even at night. And often times, physical symptoms are directly related to mental/emotional symptoms. It seems like I have brief windows almost every day with some days seeming to last a little longer than others, but this has always been the case since the adverse reaction.  

Is this simply considered the pattern of “waves & windows”?  I just haven’t happened across any posts where others seem to indicate that they cycle through waves rapidly throughout the day but maybe others do. Maybe we all experience waves and windows in different ways. 

I have been taking 25mg of magnesium 3-4 times a day over the last two weeks along with occasional epsom salt soaks. I’m trying to slowly work up to the recommended amount. 

I haven’t tried fish oil again yet. I had been taking it faithfully until earlier this year. I have no idea why I stopped. I just did. 

-ghm

• Administrator

That is a typical waves and windows symptom pattern. What do you mean by 14-day cycles? Are you keeping a calendar?

@Altostrata

Yes, I have been keeping a journal. Should I not do that? 

Even after the adverse reaction, I noticed that, for example, every other Monday would have intense symptoms. And now I have noticed that since things have been reactivated, I sleep better every other Monday night, for example.  🤷🏼‍♀️

• Administrator

If this happens only on Mondays, it's something you're doing over the weekend.

@Altostrata

That could be the case, but Monday was only an example. I had just thought that the 14 day cycle might be related to the female cycle. When I had issues w/seizures, those seemed to follow my cycle. 

I have appreciated your responses. Thank you. 

• Administrator

It could be related to the female cycle. You'll have to look at your calendar and see how that matches up with your symptoms.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Hello, ghm, how are you doing?

• 3 weeks later...

@Altostrata thank you for checking on me. I somehow missed the notifcation. 

I have had some nights where I have been able to sleep for longer periods of time, thankfully. And if I look at my journal, there are probably other symptoms that are beginning to sort of settle down. 

I had a rough wave of wanting to end my life yesterday. I haven’t had that since 2018.  Fortunately, it passed. The scary thing is that it felt so real.

I will eventually recover from both the adverse reaction to fluoxetine and this neuro-activating “treatment” right? I am trying to stay optimistic.  I know that no one can tell me how long this will take...I could just use a little hope from someone who is on the other side...

-ghm

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, ghm2018 said:

I have had some nights where I have been able to sleep for longer periods of time

if I look at my journal, there are probably other symptoms that are beginning to sort of settle down. 

Fortunately, it passed.

These are all signs that your are improving.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@ChessieCat Thank you for responding. As you know, this is a difficult journey and while I have a loving support group of family and friends, I live on my own and work from home, or do my best to work. The stress of work and issues regarding the pandemic certainly do not help. 

I appreciate SA and all of the supports that mods here provide. Thank you. 

-ghm

• 1 year later...

@ghm2018 DId your vivid dreams dissapeare ?

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

@PsychologicalSafe15 sorry for the delayed response. The vivid dreams have calmed down greatly. I will still have one every once in a while, but nothing that causes me to startle awake like before. Things have improved a lot, but I am still dealing with issues that vary day by day.

How are you doing?

i have extreme symptoms . So much vivid dreams and bone snapping overal of my body. Extreme fatigue and suicidal thoughts. TOday i googled how to do one so far didn't find any answer. :D.

It is too much pain . On the top of it I have to study.

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

• 1 month later...

@Altostrata

While I’m not 100%, I had felt like I was making progress and able to be more like myself.  I decided to get a 3 mo puppy last Friday. I had read about puppies and felt like I had prepared myself, but little did I realize that would be a life changing event that has triggered intense and severe symptoms all over again. 

After getting home with the pup, insomnia ensued along with anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, etc.  Now I’m experiencing waves of all of those symptoms that had long subsided.  

The puppy will have a new home tomorrow with a family member, thankfully.  So the trigger should be removed.  

Will this innocent and inadvertent mistake months to recover from?  😕 Can I not do anything new in my life without having a setback? 

• Administrator

I'm sorry this was difficult for you. Yes, you should restabilize in a week or two.

@Altostratathank you and thank you for taking the time to reassure me that I will restabilze.  I needed to read/hear that.  

• 1 year later...

Hi Ghm,

I have come across your thread and read that you suffered from muscle spasms/tension on your back, torso and neck. 

I’m experiencing the same at the moment. 

I read that you are a lot better now and mayn’t of your symptoms have resolved.

Did these above detailed muscle tightening go away too for you?

Started 10mg escitalopram March 2016 and stopped CT Feb 2017.

Started 10mg citalopram May 2019

Swapped with mirtazapine mid June 2019 used for a week and then switched to Escitalopram 5mg at the end of July 2019, increased gradually to 10mg in September, 15mg in October and 20mg in January 2020. Tapered down to 15mg in April. 10mg in June then a week tapering to 5mg and then stopped CT. 
Resumed escitalopram in November 2020 at 5mg, increased to 10mg in February 2021, tapered down to 5mg in May 2021 and tapered down to 2.5 in the space of a week in September 2021. Resumed escitalopram at the end of December 2022 at 5mg, increased it to 10mg in March 2023 then tapered down to 5mg in June and down to 2.5mg in July. Started escitalopram 5mg beginning of December 2023 then stopped after 4 days. Took amytryptamine for 2 days then restarted escitalopram at 5mg, after two weeks increased it to 7.5mg, kept it for 1 week then 10mg for 1 week but two many side effects so went back to 5mg. Beginning of January 2023 stopped escitalopram for 1 day then 2.5mg for the next day. Developed  discontinuation symptoms reinstated it at 2.5 for 1 week and 1.5 for the following week then stopped. I’m currently experiencing withdrawal symptoms.