SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Devis: Withdrawal after using Tramadol for 2 days?

Devis

Hi,

I've been reading some threads on this forum to try and better understand what has happening to me for the past weeks and I decided to create my own topic so that maybe typing out my experiences and getting some feedback might help me.

About two weeks ago I took some Zaldiar because I was experiencing some pain. At the time I was not aware of the anti-depressant properties of the Tramadol that Zaldiar contains.

I took about 4-5 pills the first day with a couple of hours in between (one pill has 37,5mg Tramadol). The second day after waking up I still had pain and took about 5-6 pills, which I guess even for pain was excessive and a big mistake on my part.

The day after that, I felt no pain and didn't take any more pills. The day itself went by fine, but near the end of the day (almost a day after taking the last one) I started feeling a bit twitchy and a couple hours later out of nowhere I got a panic attack and started feeling very bad physically as well: hot and cold streaks , not being able to sit still, racing thoughts, feeling like I cannot breath; like something is really wrong, ... this lasted for the whole night, pacing around and trying to calm myself and figure out what is happening.

This is when I started doing research on Zaldiar and, reading others' experiences, I figured these issues had to do with the Tramadol usage. Though I still don't really understand how 2 days of, albeit somewhat excessively, taking those pills could have caused such an intense reaction. I guess I am just very sensitive to it? Anyway, the first 3-ish days were hellish and I just tried getting through them as best as I could with some exercise and distractions. The anxiety was somewheat manageable, though I still often felt very feverlike and could not eat anything and felt very weak. Though after the first day it was mostly just this depressed feeling that really weighed on me – especially the uncertainty of wheter it would actually go away.

On the 4th day, however, I started feeling a lot better. I spent most of the day pretty alright, maybe a bit emotional but not in a depressed way. I was happy I was starting to feel emotions again. The couple days after that I pretty much just felt back like normal, like before the pills and I rejoiced, thinking it was all over. A couple days ago though, I got another anxious spell, though not as bad as before. But since then I have been getting moments where I feel really anxious again and the depression is back again too and although it's more manageable than before, it's been fairly consistent now and it's been here longer now than when it first started two weeks ago. And I understand that it comes in waves, but I feel like it should be getting shorted instead of worse and it's mostly this feeling that this is going to last that spurs on episodes of anxiety. And I just want to try and get through it while I keep working on my life (looking for a job, been unemployed for a while now), but it's so hard to get the motivation to do anything other than just distract me from feeling so bad by just watching relaxing tv shows all day. But I want to actually feel productive and happy again, not feel like I'm just trying to get through the day just not feeling bad or anxious. And I'm just really worried this might last for a long time :( I just want to feel normal again and know that these feelings will subside and I can feel joyful again. I also don't know how to feel about having such an adverse reaction to such short-term usage. Part of me thinks that maybe taking a small dose of it again could help me deal with this, but on the other hand I shouldn't be having withdrawal? So it could just be making it worse.. 

And though I feel like I've been rambling on enough already (sorry), I feel like I have to mention another relevant experience: back when I was about 12-13 (I am 25 now), I actually had a really similar experience, though without any drugs involved. One night when I was trying to fall asleep, I suddenly felt really anxious and hot and basically kind of the same like I felt two weeks ago when this all started, having a panic attack. Anyway, I did calm myself down that day and fell asleep and didn't really feel much of that kind of anxiety after that, but I did get the same kind of depressive feelings for a while. Though I don't know the exact timeline, I did end up feeling really depressed for a few weeks, with still being  pretty depressed for months after. It did eventually get better to the point of enjoying life a good 6-8 months later? I guess I've felt "depressed" (read: very sad) at times since then, during bad periods of my life, but I've never really had this actual depression anymore up until now. Knowing that I've lived through it and these feelings go away somewhat helps being hopeful and that it might be easier this time, but part of me also thinks that maybe it means I'm really sensitive and that might actually make it harder? 

Anyway. I've probably been typing too much already. But I guess it did help typing it all out and although I guess it's hard to have any concrete feedback, I was hoping anyone that has been going through something similar or just anyone that has anything to say that may help me, either understanding my experiences or making these feelings better, could speak up? :) Either way, just thanks for reading everything if you've gotten this far!

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

Took tramadol for 2 days (150-180ish mg) for pain – day after stopping intense WD(?) symptoms for a couple days.

Started feeling pretty normal for a couple days about 4 days after stopping. Soon after been having lots of trouble with depression and anxiety for about a week now.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Devis: Withdrawal after using Tramadol for 2 days?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi devis and welcome to SA,

Thank you for completing your drug signature.

Q:  Have you taken any psychiatric drugs prior to Tramadol?

If yes, please include that information in your signature.  Dates, drugs, doses - no symptoms or diagnoses.  Thank you.

If no, please respond in a post advising us of this.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

Hi devis and welcome to SA,

Thank you for completing your drug signature.

Q:  Have you taken any psychiatric drugs prior to Tramadol?

If yes, please include that information in your signature.  Dates, drugs, doses - no symptoms or diagnoses.  Thank you.

If no, please respond in a post advising us of this.  Thank you.

No, I have not. I guess I have taken a pill of Zaldiar sporadically throughout the past years whenever I had some heavier pain (without adverse reaction). But that's basically 37,5mg Tramadol once every couple months or so – I wouldn't be able to put any dates on it.

Took tramadol for 2 days (150-180ish mg) for pain – day after stopping intense WD(?) symptoms for a couple days.

Started feeling pretty normal for a couple days about 4 days after stopping. Soon after been having lots of trouble with depression and anxiety for about a week now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Zaldiar contains tramadol and paracetamol.  Tramadol has a dual effect - it works like both an opioid (like codeine) and an SNRI (like venlafaxine).

Since you only took it for two days, I don't think it is withdrawal or that reinstating would help.  It sounds like you had an adverse reaction, probably from taking far too much.  You also need to be careful with paracetamol as too much is toxic to the liver.

I think you will recover in time, but in the meantime you might want to avoid ramping up your anxiety by fuelling it with worrying thoughts.  See this topic for some useful information about dealing with anxiety - Dr Claire Weeks wrote several great books and also made audio recordings:

The Dr Claire Weekes method of recovering from a sensitized nervous system

Relaxation exercises might also be helpful, especially if done regularly.  For example progressive muscle relaxation, gentle yoga, meditation, guided visualisation, calming breathing exercises, etc.  It may be that you are a sensitive person (I'm sure I am one) and these can be beneficial during any times of stress.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Hi Songbird,

Thanks for your post! I took a look through the link you provided and will try to apply some of it. I do try my best to relax, though even when I'm not actively worrying there's often still that nagging, depressive, existential feeling in the background which is difficult to completely ignore. I find the times I feel at my best are often at night, laying in bed, when I'm sleepy but still focused on something.

I guess lately it hasn't been so much acute anxiety that plagues me, but more this feeling of.. existential dread? And I guess since I have gone through such things before it's just the depressiveness that is fueling it, but it's hard to ignore that kind of sinking feeling.

But, oh well, all I can do is try and make it through as best as I can :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Have a look around the site, particularly in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

This is a good place to start:  non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

All of the things you experienced are listed as possible side effects of Tramadol. It's an awful drug and should be more thoroughly explained when prescribed to anyone. 

I am going through protracted withdrawal from just Tramadol right now but I have been taking it for years. Much different than your case. My symptoms are improving in waves and windows but it is slow going and I am hypersensitive to Tramadol and will not reinstate...so basically cold turkey. 

Songbird is probably correct...probably an adverse reaction in your case. I hope that you feel better sooner than later!

One more note...although I cannot tolerate medicine and have lots of reactions to food and supplements, I have been able to slowly work in Magnesium and it is helping with anxiety and sleep. 

10 hours ago, Songbird said:

Have a look around the site, particularly in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

This is a good place to start:  non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Thanks again! Some of those things do help alleviate some of the disturbing thoughts in the short-term at least, so that helps.

8 hours ago, cmm1180 said:

All of the things you experienced are listed as possible side effects of Tramadol. It's an awful drug and should be more thoroughly explained when prescribed to anyone. 

I am going through protracted withdrawal from just Tramadol right now but I have been taking it for years. Much different than your case. My symptoms are improving in waves and windows but it is slow going and I am hypersensitive to Tramadol and will not reinstate...so basically cold turkey. 

Songbird is probably correct...probably an adverse reaction in your case. I hope that you feel better sooner than later!

Yeah, having looked at people's experiences with it, it does seem like it's not being handled as carefully as it should be by doctors and pharmacists. Sorry to hear that you're going through a hard time as well :( But we'll both hang in there and be strong! How long have you been dealing with it?

I've read about the concept of the waves and windows, though I feel like after that first window of a couple days of feeling normal I haven't really had that anymore, more just short periods of time where I didn't really think of it too much but not "normal" really. Ever since that kind of existential thinking about meaning and death got mixed in, the feelings have felt a little less related to the drug and more genuine and thus harder to really let go. Though again, I guess even that is just because of the negative perspective I have now because of the reaction.. I'll just need to give it some time, I guess.

8 hours ago, cmm1180 said:

One more note...although I cannot tolerate medicine and have lots of reactions to food and supplements, I have been able to slowly work in Magnesium and it is helping with anxiety and sleep. 

I'll try that, thanks! Haven't really been getting reactions, though I just haven't eaten much lately, my appetite hasn't really allowed for it. Been taking some vitamin supplements though.

I have been going through this since April...so about 2 months. I did have many symptoms initially...tremors, twitching, spikes of high blood pressure (odd for me bc I have hypotension),  pins and needles, tingling and burning in my legs, reactions to all food (including water for a couple days), depression, derealization and depersonalisation, brain fog, crying for just about anything, weakness, insomnia, anxiety through the roof....on and on. 

2 months in, it is getting better physically. I mainly now have hypersensitivity to medicine, still a lot of foods, and supplements (I had to very slowly introduce magnesium, probiotic, and digestive enzymes) and mental state  (DR, DP, Depression, emotions all over the place). I feel like I am kinda watching life from the outside a lot. And insomnia off and on.

I leave my house and walk EVERY day. I would probably truly go insane of I did not. It does help lift the depression some and I have moments where I can see the end game. It definitely helps with any lingering anxiety as well!

I have no doubt that you will be back to normal far before me so keep fighting it.