carefulprayerful

carefulprayerful: switch to drug with longer half-life before tapering?

carefulprayerful

Thank you for the tags!  (Just to let you know, for some reason, I just see the tags that you added and not the icon to add more of them.  Not urgent--you have more important things to do!)  

Jan. 2018:     900 mg  Lithium      1.0 mg Risperidone            250 mg Lamotrigine

Jan. 2019:     0 mg Lithium           0.625 mg Risperidone        175 mg Lamotrigine

Jan. 2020:     0 mg Lithium           0.260 mg Risperidone        175 mg Lamotrigine

manymoretodays

top left, on a PC, under your title.......do you see the little + after the tags I added?

Started with psycho meds circa 1988 I think 27 or 28 total.

AD's, antpsychotics, antiseizure mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamictal ,benzos, and stimulants. Some med. for narcolepsy once(Provigil,) Gabapentin........probably more.  Ask me?......I probably was on it.  Haphazard W/D's by Dr. recommend or uneducated self.

10/2014- off Lexapro--had been on highest dose 10 mg. then 5 mg. for a couple of years, went from 5 mg. to 3 mg. liquid and then CT in hospital(voluntary).  I got out of the hospital on a combination of low dose adderal salts x1/day and trileptal 150mg. x2/day.

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!

3/21/2016---I did some unwise updosing of trileptal/oxcarbazepine with some stressful stuff......doubled the above dose x2 during this last wave but began liquifying again and on approximately 68mg. starting today.  11/12//2016 24 mg. oxcarbazepine  12/9/2016 off oxcarbazepine/trileptal!!!! :) optimistic  2016 December 9- completely off all medications!!!!!

Omega3's,EPA +DHA= 1800 mg/day. Magnesium complex, orally, diluted in a liter of H2O(that I can shake up.....it usually dissolves more completely as the water gets down to room temperature) and/or Epsom salt baths prn.   Vit. C, D3, and E.  B12, melatonin tapered to 1mg., and bioidentical hormones sublingually.  Trace mineral drops.  L-lysine.  L-methylfolate=400 mcg plus daily spinach. Totally ready for a good long window to hit soon and getting better strings of full days and partial days along the way.  Definite improvement overall since I first arrived on the SA survivor ship.  Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider. manymoretodays

carefulprayerful

No, I don't see a +, just the three tags you added.  Could you add a tag for antipsychotic?  Last time, I promise :) 

Jan. 2018:     900 mg  Lithium      1.0 mg Risperidone            250 mg Lamotrigine

Jan. 2019:     0 mg Lithium           0.625 mg Risperidone        175 mg Lamotrigine

Jan. 2020:     0 mg Lithium           0.260 mg Risperidone        175 mg Lamotrigine

manymoretodays

Done. 

Started with psycho meds circa 1988 I think 27 or 28 total.

AD's, antpsychotics, antiseizure mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamictal ,benzos, and stimulants. Some med. for narcolepsy once(Provigil,) Gabapentin........probably more.  Ask me?......I probably was on it.  Haphazard W/D's by Dr. recommend or uneducated self.

10/2014- off Lexapro--had been on highest dose 10 mg. then 5 mg. for a couple of years, went from 5 mg. to 3 mg. liquid and then CT in hospital(voluntary).  I got out of the hospital on a combination of low dose adderal salts x1/day and trileptal 150mg. x2/day.

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!

3/21/2016---I did some unwise updosing of trileptal/oxcarbazepine with some stressful stuff......doubled the above dose x2 during this last wave but began liquifying again and on approximately 68mg. starting today.  11/12//2016 24 mg. oxcarbazepine  12/9/2016 off oxcarbazepine/trileptal!!!! :) optimistic  2016 December 9- completely off all medications!!!!!

Omega3's,EPA +DHA= 1800 mg/day. Magnesium complex, orally, diluted in a liter of H2O(that I can shake up.....it usually dissolves more completely as the water gets down to room temperature) and/or Epsom salt baths prn.   Vit. C, D3, and E.  B12, melatonin tapered to 1mg., and bioidentical hormones sublingually.  Trace mineral drops.  L-lysine.  L-methylfolate=400 mcg plus daily spinach. Totally ready for a good long window to hit soon and getting better strings of full days and partial days along the way.  Definite improvement overall since I first arrived on the SA survivor ship.  Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider. manymoretodays

carefulprayerful

Updating my journal...

Just reached 0.250 mg Risperidone today.  I am so grateful!  Daily microtaper of 5%/month currently and symptoms are mild 🌈.  It's a long way between milestones, so I really want to remember this day!  This is so doable compared to what I hit up against trying to go faster.

carefulprayerful

Just reporting here a positive experience with fish oil.  Had flu-like symptoms and momentary DP/DR last month during my period (which always brings a wave).  This month during my period I had mild symptoms of the more typical variety--lost a few hours sleep here and there, headache, momentary ear ringing, nausea, etc.  As soon as I started taking the fish oil I noticed more clarity of thinking and positive mood.  I feel pretty satisfied with things right now. 

carefulprayerful

I thought it worth mentioning here because my heart is full of gladness.  In August I had a mix of WD and a manic episode with illusions/hallucinations.  It never would have been that bad without the WD - I was going at 10%/month, which I knew was too fast (for Risperidone for me), and it was my period week - but old psychological issues also resurfaced, so I had some work to do.  However, I have come out the other side.  Indeed, it can take time to address the underlying issues, and it wasn't pretty, and I had to advocate for myself indirectly, but it is doable.  I feel like my footing is tenuous, but...it's over.  

I also have a new attitude of gratitude on the Lithium, which I CT'd in Jan. 2018 because it was damaging my kidneys...

1. It was easy to get off (for this drug for me).  I would not recommend CT except out of medical necessity.

2. It was easy to identify as the problem, so I didn't have to cold-turkey the others, which I do not believe I would survive. 

3.  With a plant-based, reduced protein, low-sodium diet, my kidney function has gone from the 30th percentile range to the 50th percentile range, where it has been consistently for the past 6-8 months.  

I realized that underlying so much of the resentment I feel toward my psychiatrist is really a resentment toward myself ("How could I have been so stupid?!").  This make it easier to let it go.  

I'm still experiencing plenty of symptoms, but they are mild.  I don't want to start the list, but today I am dealing with abdominal pain and discomfort urinating.  My doctor did some labwork a couple weeks ago and said there was no bacteria found but the labwork suggested there might be an infection.  He called in an antibiotic to my pharmacy, but I don't know if I am going to take it.  If I took an antibiotic every time I felt this way, I'd take them to the point that they would lose their effectiveness, as happens with antibiotics.  So I will pick it up at the pharmacy, but maybe I can wash it out naturally with water and cranberries.  (This issue has been around for 2 years.)

Sending wishes for love, light and healing to all here

CarefulP

Today:

about 0.227 mg Risperidone, microtaper accumulating 5%/month

175 mg Lamotrigine

Other:

Synthroid for thyroid

Oral contraceptive

Fish oil

Vit D

Vit B complex incl. B12

Vit E for TD

diet that is a combo of plant-based, clean gut, and macrobiotic

Journey as of late: 12 Step program, breathing, DBT, nature music, Pilates/walking, 'flow', pursuing the things that matter to me, supportive people, books, this website

"Be the CEO of your own life."

Glosmom

What a great update, @carefulprayerful!  I am so happy that you are feeling grateful and your heart is full of gladness!  I remember your post about that scary time back in August.  It is great news that you are on the other side of that...even if you are stepping lightly. Getting across a bridge...is getting across a bridge. So be proud and good work!!

I wish you continued healing and courage to deal with your urinary issues as conservatively as you can.  You in my thoughts as you navigate your journey.

Warmest regards, Glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

Altostrata

What good news about your kidneys, careful. But I worry about that abdominal pain. Has your doctor been monitoring liver function as well?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

carefulprayerful
On 4/13/2020 at 10:32 AM, Glosmom said:

What a great update, @carefulprayerful!  I am so happy that you are feeling grateful and your heart is full of gladness!  I remember your post about that scary time back in August.  It is great news that you are on the other side of that...even if you are stepping lightly. Getting across a bridge...is getting across a bridge. So be proud and good work!!

I wish you continued healing and courage to deal with your urinary issues as conservatively as you can.  You in my thoughts as you navigate your journey.

Warmest regards, Glosmom

Thank you @Glosmom!  I keep in mind what you have said about tapering slowly.  It takes a lot of patience and discipline to go slowly.  I'm glad for Glo that she has the poison out of her system and is making progress with healing on so many fronts now that she is on the other side.

It seems like garlic and lots of water helped with the abdominal pain & urinary issues.  

Glo and SA are lucky to have you. 

Wishing you and Glo healing and peace. 

CarefulP

carefulprayerful
19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What good news about your kidneys, careful. But I worry about that abdominal pain. Has your doctor been monitoring liver function as well?

My doctor does check the liver, and it was doing fine as of my last set of lab work (March 2020). 

A few months ago my liver was a little off but my doctor said that was probably because I was taking an iron supplement at the time.

I have been getting lab work done at least every 3 months.

Even tho my kidney doctor said I can come back every 6 months now, I still go to my primary care doctor for lab work every 3 months. 

I will note that I have large red blood cells.  My doctor said nothing can be done about it, tho I think he meant medications he could prescribe.  I read this is not of great concern.  I also read it can be associated with seizure medications, tho I did not see Lamotrigine mentioned specifically.

Of course my kidney is not normal.  I am seeing an endocrinologist about the thyroid (TSH is off).

I also had low blood sugar on the day of the last test.

I also get vitamins and minerals checked.

Thank you very much for asking!

With admiration, 

CarefulP

carefulprayerful

Just wanted to note here my symptoms of late, i.e., early 2020:

When I tried to microtaper both drugs for a total of 5% each per month in March (some of these same symptoms appear when I miss a morning dose of lamotrigine):

• Dazed, feel like I am reeling
  • Mental sluggishness
  • Intense feeling in the head like a witch is stirring a pot of emotions, esp. when I have not slept.
  • Almost like I am clenching fists to get through the work-from-home day.
  • Anger, did not overreact too much, but hard to contain
  • Paranoia (mild)
  • Thoughts speed up or slow down
  • A little more anxiety
  • A little more burning feeling (mild)
  • Pattern of increase in symptoms over days/weeks when I taper both simultaneously

In general doing a just-Risperidone taper:

• Stretching feeling in brain
  • Nausea, no vomiting lately, frequent
  • Abdominal pains that are mild, brief, sharp, and shift from place to place, usually lower abdomen on the sides, tends to be the right side but happens on both.
  • Similarly mild, momentary, sharp, shifting pains in the chest
  • Discomfort urinating, comes and goes, frequently feel as though I am going to develop a UTI 
  • Note the doctor thought the lower abdominal pain and discomfort urinating were linked.  Both reduce when I eat a lot of garlic and hydrate.
  • Joint discomfort  
  • Sensitivity to vigorous exercise.  Leads to headache, disorientation, stomach ache, nausea, fatigue.  (This has started to go away for the first time in a number of months! I can do a Pilates video for 20+ min. Before the videos were too intense, so I would just do some exercises on a mat until I started to feel slightly sick, which was usually by about 15 min.)
  • A little discomfort lower back, seems to be structural/muscular
  • Ears ringing, momentary 
  • Headache 
  • Almost all symptoms improve with more sleep.
  • Riled up emotionally.
  • Stomach ache especially after eating, particularly strong tasting food like oranges or kiwi, or right after a mouthful of too much garlic or probiotic sauerkraut.
  • If I take my evening dose of Risperidone one hour late, I do not fall asleep easily or stay asleep.
  • Brain numbness.
  • Tongue fronting.
  • Eye twitch.
  • Feel cold easily (this could be hypothyroid)
  • Burning in chest (very mild)
  • Restlessness
  • Agitation
  • Anxiety (mild)
  • Brain fog
  • Eating completely vegan helps the kidneys but contributes to brain fog in my experience.  I am eating plant-based.
  • Muscle tension in chest, neck, and back
  • Feels like nerves are popping if I force myself to concentrate on work late at night
  • Worn-out
  • Legs exhausted the way you feel after running several miles, when I have not exercised
  • Ability to concentrate is less
  • Dizziness, mild
  • Always more symptoms at period
  • frequent urination (though this has improved a lot since I have been off Lithium)

I really need to take my doses at the same time every day and not miss doses of lamotrigine, which I still do from time to time. 

I am microtapering for a total of 5-6%/month, one drug at a time.  I just want to taper at whatever pace makes the symptoms mild and not too distracting.  

I very much appreciate this site. 

Sending thoughts for healing, love and light,

CarefulP

carefulprayerful
16 hours ago, carefulprayerful said:

When I tried to microtaper both drugs for a total of 5% each per month in March (some of these same symptoms appear when I miss a morning dose of lamotrigine):

• Dazed, feel like I am reeling
  • Mental sluggishness
  • Intense feeling in the head like a witch is stirring a pot of emotions, esp. when I have not slept.
  • Almost like I am clenching fists to get through the work-from-home day.
  • Anger, did not overreact too much, but hard to contain
  • Paranoia (mild)
  • Thoughts speed up or slow down
  • A little more anxiety
  • A little more burning feeling (mild)
  • Pattern of increase in symptoms over days/weeks when I taper both simultaneously
  • One more: TD also re-appeared when I tried to taper both (tongue, lip movements, jaw clenching)

carefulprayerful

May 30, 2020: 0.200 mg risperidone.  I'm not keeping a symptom journal right now - symptoms are minimal and follow a predictable pattern.  With gratitude, CarefulP 🙂

Altostrata

What good news! Thanks, careful.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Glosmom

So happy to hear your symptoms are minimal!   yay!  

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

carefulprayerful

@Altostrata  @Glosmom Thank you so much for the encouragement!  I am feeling the most hopeful I have felt this whole time. 

Alto, thank you for reminding me to monitor the liver function.  My primary care doctor orders a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) each time, which has both kidney and liver function.  

My best wishes for continued healing, 

CarefulP💛

Altostrata
15 hours ago, carefulprayerful said:

Thanks @Glosmomfor the encouragement!  💛

I am feeling much better.  Things that used to cause a wave--exercise, having to get up early for something and not getting a full night's sleep, my menstrual cycle--no longer have much effect.  I rarely have symptoms, and when I do, they are mild and momentary (abdominal pain, stomach ache, headache, ears ringing, muscle tension).  I feel almost normal.  I'm so grateful to be writing that. Current dose is 0.185 mg risperidone.  I am currently microtapering for a total of 10%/month.  I'm not sure when to start tapering at a faster rate.

You don't have to taper at a faster rate. If 10% per month is working, I'd stay with that, until you get down to an amount you can't measure accurately. Depending on how you feel, that is where you might eyeball a reduction or two, then stop.

carefulprayerful
1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

You don't have to taper at a faster rate. If 10% per month is working, I'd stay with that, until you get down to an amount you can't measure accurately. Depending on how you feel, that is where you might eyeball a reduction or two, then stop.

@AltostrataThank you for the suggestion.  I am using the prescription liquid (aqueous solution), which I dilute further in water.  I could measure a very tiny amount with this.  

I don't really understand this as it relates to liquids, so I will wait for Brassmonkey's update: 

I sense that this member did not have as much trouble with his taper because he is suggesting a much faster pace: 

I'm not sure if the post below applies to me since my starting dose was 1 mg, which is less than most other drugs: "0.016 mgai is a generic jumping off point that is the target for most tapers."

I think I read in a New York Times article that most people need to taper down to 1/40 of the original dose.  In any case I have a long way to go, but I am grateful for the progress!

Altostrata

Those topics are being updated.

carefulprayerful
18 hours ago, carefulprayerful said:

I sense that this member did not have as much trouble with his taper because he is suggesting a much faster pace: 

Just correcting the above link.  This is the member who went fast at the end of the taper, which I am not planning to do: 

carefulprayerful

This week I reached 0.150 mg risperidone.  I began the taper at 1 mg in April 2018, though the original dose I started at in 2013 was 3 mg. 

I have been microtapering at a total of 10%/month since approximately May.  Things have been going much more smoothly than earlier in the taper.  I credit this to:

• fish oil
  • working from home
  • probiotic sauerkraut 
  • no sugar, flour, dairy, alcohol, caffeine 
  • training my subconscious mind to think positively - getting a free voice recording app on my phone, playing meditation music on Youtube on my computer in the background, and recording my voice describing a smooth, easy taper in detail - getting restful sleep and waking up refreshed each morning and so on - and listening to this 'soundtrack' multiple times a day
  • moderate, not vigorous, exercise
  • taking the dose at the same time each night 
  • not missing any doses of the other Rx I take
  • making sure I get my period on the weekend - since I take the pill, I just start the month on a Thursday rather than a Sunday and that way my period typically begins on a Saturday when I can relax and the PMS/period WD reactions won't be as bad
  • time management course by Dave Crenshaw on LinkedIn Learning (the 1st month is free and the course is just a few hours to do)
  • reducing stress
  • reading about relationships
  • meditation
  • breathing
  • EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) - look it up on youtube
  • addressing  trauma and core beliefs in a type of therapy called Psych-K
  • being true to myself 
  • when I got below 0.200 mg risperidone, I really started to believe, okay, this is going to happen; that said, I am just starting to fully believe that I can be sound mentally without the drugs  (and I still have to taper off lamotrigine, so that is a while away!)

MY TIP:  Figure out what works best FOR YOU  (which  may conitnually evolve) and do it EVERY DAY.

Symptoms lately :

nausea 

vomitting (once)

headache 

low energy

dizziness 

abdominal discomfort - continuing to get the bloodwork done to monitor things

teeth grinding 

mild insomnia 

mild agitation

mild anxiety 

None of these symptoms interrupt my functioning. 

The TD has gone away for all intents and purposes - I rarely think of it - it is rare and very minor.  I still take the Vit E, which is supposed to help.

I'm addressing the past trauma and learning so much.  I feel happy overall and wanted to thank everyone for the support from this site.  

Wishing you healing, health, love, and light.  

In gratitude, 

CarefulP🌈

Glosmom

What a great post, @carefulprayerful!!  I am soooooo happy for you!   You have done such a great job figuring out what you need to do for you.  Feeling happy and being able to function even with the side effects that still remain, is truly a wonderful place to be.   Congratulations!!  No need to rush through the rest of your risperidone taper....just keep on...keeping on.   Warmest Regards, Glosmom

carefulprayerful

Thank you, Glosmom!  I am focusing on accepting that this takes time, but...it is only a matter of time.  How are you and Glo these days?  Are you enjoying the summer when possible?

🌈CarefulP

Glosmom

Hi @carefulprayerful!!

Sorry for the slightly delayed response. Work and life has been a bit hectic.  Glo is hanging in there.  I plan to post again when I feel I have enough positive stuff to report.  She continues with the windows and waves but with an every SLOWLY improving baseline.  We have loved the summer and warm weather. Not really looking forward to Fall and colder weather yet. We have a family trip (long weekend) scheduled for the end of September so hopefully after that I will have some good nuggets to report.  Best wishes to you always, Glosmom