carefulprayerful: switch to drug with longer half-life before tapering?

carefulprayerful

Thank you for the tags!  (Just to let you know, for some reason, I just see the tags that you added and not the icon to add more of them.  Not urgent--you have more important things to do!)  

My psychiatric drug history goes back, on and off, to 1999.  This is my taper chronology:

Jan. 2018:                        900 mg  Lithium                      1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2018:                        0 mg  Lithium*                        1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2019:                        0 mg Lithium                           0.625 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Jan. 2020:                       0 mg Lithium                           0.260 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Feb. 2021:                        0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              175 mg Lamotrigine

August 2021                    0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              0 mg Lamotrigine

*I had to cold turkey lithium because of life-threatening side effects.

Measuring doses: The Withdrawal Project at the Inner Compass Initiative website, which explains how to do the microtaper to make it as smooth as possible   Nutrition: The Clean Gut Diet by Alejandro Junger, MD, and Viva Naturals Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplements.  Psychological: "Dr. Bruce H. Lipton Explains How To Reprogram The Subconscious Mind" (on YouTube) and PSYCH-K (an alternative healing modality).  

• Moderator Emeritus

top left, on a PC, under your title.......do you see the little + after the tags I added?

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

No, I don't see a +, just the three tags you added.  Could you add a tag for antipsychotic?  Last time, I promise :) 

My psychiatric drug history goes back, on and off, to 1999.  This is my taper chronology:

Jan. 2018:                        900 mg  Lithium                      1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2018:                        0 mg  Lithium*                        1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2019:                        0 mg Lithium                           0.625 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Jan. 2020:                       0 mg Lithium                           0.260 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Feb. 2021:                        0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              175 mg Lamotrigine

August 2021                    0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              0 mg Lamotrigine

Measuring doses: The Withdrawal Project at the Inner Compass Initiative website, which explains how to do the microtaper to make it as smooth as possible   Nutrition: The Clean Gut Diet by Alejandro Junger, MD, and Viva Naturals Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplements.  Psychological: "Dr. Bruce H. Lipton Explains How To Reprogram The Subconscious Mind" (on YouTube) and PSYCH-K (an alternative healing modality).  

• Moderator Emeritus

Done. 

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 3 weeks later...

Updating my journal...

Just reached 0.250 mg Risperidone today.  I am so grateful!  Daily microtaper of 5%/month currently and symptoms are mild 🌈.  It's a long way between milestones, so I really want to remember this day!  This is so doable compared to what I hit up against trying to go faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reporting here a positive experience with fish oil.  Had flu-like symptoms and momentary DP/DR last month during my period (which always brings a wave).  This month during my period I had mild symptoms of the more typical variety--lost a few hours sleep here and there, headache, momentary ear ringing, nausea, etc.  As soon as I started taking the fish oil I noticed more clarity of thinking and positive mood.  I feel pretty satisfied with things right now. 

• 1 month later...

I thought it worth mentioning here because my heart is full of gladness.  In August I had a mix of WD and a manic episode with illusions/hallucinations.  It never would have been that bad without the WD - I was going at 10%/month, which I knew was too fast (for Risperidone for me), and it was my period week - but old psychological issues also resurfaced, so I had some work to do.  However, I have come out the other side.  Indeed, it can take time to address the underlying issues, and it wasn't pretty, and I had to advocate for myself indirectly, but it is doable.  I feel like my footing is tenuous, but...it's over.  

I also have a new attitude of gratitude on the Lithium, which I CT'd in Jan. 2018 because it was damaging my kidneys...

1. It was easy to get off (for this drug for me).  I would not recommend CT except out of medical necessity.

2. It was easy to identify as the problem, so I didn't have to cold-turkey the others, which I do not believe I would survive. 

3.  With a plant-based, reduced protein, low-sodium diet, my kidney function has gone from the 30th percentile range to the 50th percentile range, where it has been consistently for the past 6-8 months.  

I realized that underlying so much of the resentment I feel toward my psychiatrist is really a resentment toward myself ("How could I have been so stupid?!").  This make it easier to let it go.  

I'm still experiencing plenty of symptoms, but they are mild.  I don't want to start the list, but today I am dealing with abdominal pain and discomfort urinating.  My doctor did some labwork a couple weeks ago and said there was no bacteria found but the labwork suggested there might be an infection.  He called in an antibiotic to my pharmacy, but I don't know if I am going to take it.  If I took an antibiotic every time I felt this way, I'd take them to the point that they would lose their effectiveness, as happens with antibiotics.  So I will pick it up at the pharmacy, but maybe I can wash it out naturally with water and cranberries.  (This issue has been around for 2 years.)

Sending wishes for love, light and healing to all here

CarefulP

Today:

about 0.227 mg Risperidone, microtaper accumulating 5%/month

175 mg Lamotrigine

Other:

Synthroid for thyroid

Oral contraceptive

Fish oil

Vit D

Vit B complex incl. B12

Vit E for TD

diet that is a combo of plant-based, clean gut, and macrobiotic

Journey as of late: 12 Step program, breathing, DBT, nature music, Pilates/walking, 'flow', pursuing the things that matter to me, supportive people, books, this website

"Be the CEO of your own life."

• Moderator Emeritus

What a great update, @carefulprayerful!  I am so happy that you are feeling grateful and your heart is full of gladness!  I remember your post about that scary time back in August.  It is great news that you are on the other side of that...even if you are stepping lightly. Getting across a bridge...is getting across a bridge. So be proud and good work!!

I wish you continued healing and courage to deal with your urinary issues as conservatively as you can.  You in my thoughts as you navigate your journey.

Warmest regards, Glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

• Administrator

What good news about your kidneys, careful. But I worry about that abdominal pain. Has your doctor been monitoring liver function as well?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 4/13/2020 at 10:32 AM, Glosmom said:

What a great update, @carefulprayerful!  I am so happy that you are feeling grateful and your heart is full of gladness!  I remember your post about that scary time back in August.  It is great news that you are on the other side of that...even if you are stepping lightly. Getting across a bridge...is getting across a bridge. So be proud and good work!!

I wish you continued healing and courage to deal with your urinary issues as conservatively as you can.  You in my thoughts as you navigate your journey.

Warmest regards, Glosmom

Thank you @Glosmom!  I keep in mind what you have said about tapering slowly.  It takes a lot of patience and discipline to go slowly.  I'm glad for Glo that she has the poison out of her system and is making progress with healing on so many fronts now that she is on the other side.

It seems like garlic and lots of water helped with the abdominal pain & urinary issues.  

Glo and SA are lucky to have you. 

Wishing you and Glo healing and peace. 

CarefulP

19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What good news about your kidneys, careful. But I worry about that abdominal pain. Has your doctor been monitoring liver function as well?

My doctor does check the liver, and it was doing fine as of my last set of lab work (March 2020). 

A few months ago my liver was a little off but my doctor said that was probably because I was taking an iron supplement at the time.

I have been getting lab work done at least every 3 months.

Even tho my kidney doctor said I can come back every 6 months now, I still go to my primary care doctor for lab work every 3 months. 

I will note that I have large red blood cells.  My doctor said nothing can be done about it, tho I think he meant medications he could prescribe.  I read this is not of great concern.  I also read it can be associated with seizure medications, tho I did not see Lamotrigine mentioned specifically.

Of course my kidney is not normal.  I am seeing an endocrinologist about the thyroid (TSH is off).

I also had low blood sugar on the day of the last test.

I also get vitamins and minerals checked.

Thank you very much for asking!

With admiration, 

CarefulP

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to note here my symptoms of late, i.e., early 2020:

When I tried to microtaper both drugs for a total of 5% each per month in March (some of these same symptoms appear when I miss a morning dose of lamotrigine):

• Dazed, feel like I am reeling
  • Mental sluggishness
  • Intense feeling in the head like a witch is stirring a pot of emotions, esp. when I have not slept.
  • Almost like I am clenching fists to get through the work-from-home day.
  • Anger, did not overreact too much, but hard to contain
  • Paranoia (mild)
  • Thoughts speed up or slow down
  • A little more anxiety
  • A little more burning feeling (mild)
  • Pattern of increase in symptoms over days/weeks when I taper both simultaneously

In general doing a just-Risperidone taper:

• Stretching feeling in brain
  • Nausea, no vomiting lately, frequent
  • Abdominal pains that are mild, brief, sharp, and shift from place to place, usually lower abdomen on the sides, tends to be the right side but happens on both.
  • Similarly mild, momentary, sharp, shifting pains in the chest
  • Discomfort urinating, comes and goes, frequently feel as though I am going to develop a UTI 
  • Note the doctor thought the lower abdominal pain and discomfort urinating were linked.  Both reduce when I eat a lot of garlic and hydrate.
  • Joint discomfort  
  • Sensitivity to vigorous exercise.  Leads to headache, disorientation, stomach ache, nausea, fatigue.  (This has started to go away for the first time in a number of months! I can do a Pilates video for 20+ min. Before the videos were too intense, so I would just do some exercises on a mat until I started to feel slightly sick, which was usually by about 15 min.)
  • A little discomfort lower back, seems to be structural/muscular
  • Ears ringing, momentary 
  • Headache 
  • Almost all symptoms improve with more sleep.
  • Riled up emotionally.
  • Stomach ache especially after eating, particularly strong tasting food like oranges or kiwi, or right after a mouthful of too much garlic or probiotic sauerkraut.
  • If I take my evening dose of Risperidone one hour late, I do not fall asleep easily or stay asleep.
  • Brain numbness.
  • Tongue fronting.
  • Eye twitch.
  • Feel cold easily (this could be hypothyroid)
  • Burning in chest (very mild)
  • Restlessness
  • Agitation
  • Anxiety (mild)
  • Brain fog
  • Eating completely vegan helps the kidneys but contributes to brain fog in my experience.  I am eating plant-based.
  • Muscle tension in chest, neck, and back
  • Feels like nerves are popping if I force myself to concentrate on work late at night
  • Worn-out
  • Legs exhausted the way you feel after running several miles, when I have not exercised
  • Ability to concentrate is less
  • Dizziness, mild
  • Always more symptoms at period
  • frequent urination (though this has improved a lot since I have been off Lithium)

I really need to take my doses at the same time every day and not miss doses of lamotrigine, which I still do from time to time. 

I am microtapering for a total of 5-6%/month, one drug at a time.  I just want to taper at whatever pace makes the symptoms mild and not too distracting.  

I very much appreciate this site. 

Sending thoughts for healing, love and light,

CarefulP

16 hours ago, carefulprayerful said:

When I tried to microtaper both drugs for a total of 5% each per month in March (some of these same symptoms appear when I miss a morning dose of lamotrigine):

• Dazed, feel like I am reeling
  • Mental sluggishness
  • Intense feeling in the head like a witch is stirring a pot of emotions, esp. when I have not slept.
  • Almost like I am clenching fists to get through the work-from-home day.
  • Anger, did not overreact too much, but hard to contain
  • Paranoia (mild)
  • Thoughts speed up or slow down
  • A little more anxiety
  • A little more burning feeling (mild)
  • Pattern of increase in symptoms over days/weeks when I taper both simultaneously
  • One more: TD also re-appeared when I tried to taper both (tongue, lip movements, jaw clenching)

• 1 month later...

May 30, 2020: 0.200 mg risperidone.  I'm not keeping a symptom journal right now - symptoms are minimal and follow a predictable pattern.  With gratitude, CarefulP 🙂

• Administrator

What good news! Thanks, careful.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

So happy to hear your symptoms are minimal!   yay!  

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

@Altostrata  @Glosmom Thank you so much for the encouragement!  I am feeling the most hopeful I have felt this whole time. 

Alto, thank you for reminding me to monitor the liver function.  My primary care doctor orders a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) each time, which has both kidney and liver function.  

My best wishes for continued healing, 

CarefulP💛

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
15 hours ago, carefulprayerful said:

Thanks @Glosmomfor the encouragement!  💛

I am feeling much better.  Things that used to cause a wave--exercise, having to get up early for something and not getting a full night's sleep, my menstrual cycle--no longer have much effect.  I rarely have symptoms, and when I do, they are mild and momentary (abdominal pain, stomach ache, headache, ears ringing, muscle tension).  I feel almost normal.  I'm so grateful to be writing that. Current dose is 0.185 mg risperidone.  I am currently microtapering for a total of 10%/month.  I'm not sure when to start tapering at a faster rate.

You don't have to taper at a faster rate. If 10% per month is working, I'd stay with that, until you get down to an amount you can't measure accurately. Depending on how you feel, that is where you might eyeball a reduction or two, then stop.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

You don't have to taper at a faster rate. If 10% per month is working, I'd stay with that, until you get down to an amount you can't measure accurately. Depending on how you feel, that is where you might eyeball a reduction or two, then stop.

@AltostrataThank you for the suggestion.  I am using the prescription liquid (aqueous solution), which I dilute further in water.  I could measure a very tiny amount with this.  

I don't really understand this as it relates to liquids, so I will wait for Brassmonkey's update: 

I sense that this member did not have as much trouble with his taper because he is suggesting a much faster pace: 

I'm not sure if the post below applies to me since my starting dose was 1 mg, which is less than most other drugs: "0.016 mgai is a generic jumping off point that is the target for most tapers."

I think I read in a New York Times article that most people need to taper down to 1/40 of the original dose.  In any case I have a long way to go, but I am grateful for the progress!

• Administrator

Those topics are being updated.

18 hours ago, carefulprayerful said:

I sense that this member did not have as much trouble with his taper because he is suggesting a much faster pace: 

Just correcting the above link.  This is the member who went fast at the end of the taper, which I am not planning to do: 

• 1 month later...

This week I reached 0.150 mg risperidone.  I began the taper at 1 mg in April 2018, though the original dose I started at in 2013 was 3 mg. 

I have been microtapering at a total of 10%/month since approximately May.  Things have been going much more smoothly than earlier in the taper.  I credit this to:

• fish oil
  • working from home
  • probiotic sauerkraut 
  • no sugar, flour, dairy, alcohol, caffeine 
  • training my subconscious mind to think positively - getting a free voice recording app on my phone, playing meditation music on Youtube on my computer in the background, and recording my voice describing a smooth, easy taper in detail - getting restful sleep and waking up refreshed each morning and so on - and listening to this 'soundtrack' multiple times a day
  • moderate, not vigorous, exercise
  • taking the dose at the same time each night 
  • not missing any doses of the other Rx I take
  • making sure I get my period on the weekend - since I take the pill, I just start the month on a Thursday rather than a Sunday and that way my period typically begins on a Saturday when I can relax and the PMS/period WD reactions won't be as bad
  • time management course by Dave Crenshaw on LinkedIn Learning (the 1st month is free and the course is just a few hours to do)
  • reducing stress
  • reading about relationships
  • meditation
  • breathing
  • EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) - look it up on youtube
  • addressing  trauma and core beliefs in a type of therapy called Psych-K
  • being true to myself 
  • when I got below 0.200 mg risperidone, I really started to believe, okay, this is going to happen; that said, I am just starting to fully believe that I can be sound mentally without the drugs  (and I still have to taper off lamotrigine, so that is a while away!)

MY TIP:  Figure out what works best FOR YOU  (which  may conitnually evolve) and do it EVERY DAY.

Symptoms lately :

nausea 

vomitting (once)

headache 

low energy

dizziness 

abdominal discomfort - continuing to get the bloodwork done to monitor things

teeth grinding 

mild insomnia 

mild agitation

mild anxiety 

None of these symptoms interrupt my functioning. 

The TD has gone away for all intents and purposes - I rarely think of it - it is rare and very minor.  I still take the Vit E, which is supposed to help.

I'm addressing the past trauma and learning so much.  I feel happy overall and wanted to thank everyone for the support from this site.  

Wishing you healing, health, love, and light.  

In gratitude, 

CarefulP🌈

• Moderator Emeritus

What a great post, @carefulprayerful!!  I am soooooo happy for you!   You have done such a great job figuring out what you need to do for you.  Feeling happy and being able to function even with the side effects that still remain, is truly a wonderful place to be.   Congratulations!!  No need to rush through the rest of your risperidone taper....just keep on...keeping on.   Warmest Regards, Glosmom

Thank you, Glosmom!  I am focusing on accepting that this takes time, but...it is only a matter of time.  How are you and Glo these days?  Are you enjoying the summer when possible?

🌈CarefulP

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi @carefulprayerful!!

Sorry for the slightly delayed response. Work and life has been a bit hectic.  Glo is hanging in there.  I plan to post again when I feel I have enough positive stuff to report.  She continues with the windows and waves but with an every SLOWLY improving baseline.  We have loved the summer and warm weather. Not really looking forward to Fall and colder weather yet. We have a family trip (long weekend) scheduled for the end of September so hopefully after that I will have some good nuggets to report.  Best wishes to you always, Glosmom

• 2 months later...

Hi SA, 

Just jumping onto the site tonight to record where I am on my storyline.  I took 3 mg risperidone from 2013-2014 and 1 mg from 2015 until I began tapering properly in 2018.  Yesterday I reached 0.10 mg!  This is big.  I am seeing myself off this drug in 2021.  

Here's what has helped:

1. Sleep hygiene: blue light glasses, light-blocking curtains, going to bed when I start feeling sleepy.  I was amazed at how helpful these changes were. I was using essential oils nightly for a while, but I eventually found I did not need them.  

2. Visualization/voice recording of me describing a smooth, easy taper.  Listening to it multiple times a day.

3. Breathing and my other favorite coping techniques.

3. Working from home. 

4. Psych-k therapy ~ changing core beliefs (I recommend this highly.  PM if you want my therapist's contact info!)

5. Clean-gut, plant-based diet (tho not 100% vegan). 

6. Gentle exercise (listening to my body).

I think it is really important to be grateful for every bit of progress.  Thank you everyone here for the vital tips and support. 

Sending hope and hugs 🌈

CarefulP

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, @carefulprayerful!!  Great work.  So happy to hear you are down to .10.  Your slow and steady pace has allowed you to continue living life!  Best Wishes to You Always! Glosmom

• 1 month later...

Hi careful,

I am very happy for you and learned a lot from your tapering journey and I am looking forward to read your successful story soon. 

- 2013-2014 zoloft 100 mg  xanax 1 mg

- 2015 prozac 40mg/ Xanax 1 mg / zopiclone 7.5

- 2016  brintellix 20mg /Pristiq 50mg / xanax 1 mg

- 2017  Cymbalta / xanax 1 mg / zopiclone 7.5 mg

- 2018 cibralex 10mg/ lexotanil 1.5/ 

- 2019 Effexor 150mg / lexotanil 1.5 

- December 2019  Concerta 36 mg/ zyban 300 mg/ lexotanil 1.5  / zopiclone 7.5 mg / quit on June 2020

- July 2020  Invega Sustenna XR 100 mg shot / lexotanil 1.5 mg  / zopiclone 7.5 mg

- October 2020 reduced the dose to 75 mg shot and Quit

i am still on lexotanil 1.5  / zopiclone 7.5 mg 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @saeed

I am so glad it helped you to read my story.  I looked at your page, and I have been through many of the same things!  It gets better.  Neuroplasticity and neurogenesis tell us that the brain heals.  This 8 min video has some great tips to help with sleepSleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson (animated book summary) - How To Get Better Sleep - YouTube.  Hang in there!

Best wishes for a smooth taper!

Careful

• Moderator Emeritus

Congrat's for being so low on Risperidone ! 

Looks like you're doing a really good job with your taper and your coping skills.

Thank you for the inspiration ❤️ 

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

2020 Summary
Here's my annual post with highlights of my taper in 2020.  

Brain Info: This is from a specialist at Stanford U.  It speaks to the range of WD reactions we experience: 
"The brain and the spinal cord--what we call the central nervous system--are extensively connected with the body, and the body is extensively connected to the brain and spinal cord......
The nervous system includes the brain, which...includes the eyes as well, the spinal cord, and then what's called the peripheral nervous system--all the nerve connections with the body, and every organ in our body, our heart, our diaphragm, our lungs, our spleen, our liver, all of it is as we say innervated...
If we had a human nervous system splayed out on the table here in front of us, it would look like a human being...It's almost like a silhouette of our entire body."  

End-game taper: I had an intuition that once I got below 0.20 mg risperidone, it would be easier.  Since 3 mg was my original dose back in 2013, and it got reduced to 1 mg in 2014 (not without WD reactions), I realized that the "end-game" phase or last 5% of my taper would begin at 5% of 3 mg, which is 0.15 mg.  I reached 0.15 mg in August 2020, and then I began to speed up the taper.  I am now at 0.032 mg risperidone.  I expect to take my last dose (0.001 mg) on Feb. 16, 2021.  That would mean about 6 mos. to taper off the last 5%.  

Lifestyle:
  • Work from Home: This has been a gift simply because I can do EFT or take a 20 min power nap whenever.  I also avoid the stressful commute and office environment.  
  • Diet:  (1) I now eat about 90-95% of my food intake from plant sources (and I take vitamin B12 and vitamin D to fill in the gaps).  This is beneficial to the kidneys.  (2) In addition, I follow the clean gut diet in Alejandro Junger's book, which is recommended for psych drug WD.  382128eafc9527b586a258a1b1d963ca.jpg (500×415) (pinimg.com).  My stomach and nervous system are still sensitive...to kiwi, oranges, mangos, pesto sauce, chocolate, hot spicy food, beans, sugar,...you name it.  At this point I just stick to the clean gut food options.  I don't want the trouble!
  • Supplements: I started taking fish oil this year.  It is a game changer.  In two days, my WD reactions almost all went away, and I was able to speed up my tapering a little bit.  I get Viva Naturals. 
Physical Healing
  • Sleep: My sleep has improved so much.  I follow Shawn Stevenson's advice.  I also use doTerra Serenity essential oils blend as needed.  For many months in 2020, I got 4.5-6 hours of light sleep on most nights.  Now I sleep solidly 5-8 hours most nights, and I hardly use the essential oils at this point.  The healing is in waves, and I actually occasionally sleep too much!  Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson (animated book summary) - How To Get Better Sleep - YouTube.  
  • Urination: Note: after coming down with the kidney condition resulting from lithium, I had quite frequent urination.  I have slept 8 hours solid without getting up to pee twice in 2020!  I did not think I would live to see that day, and I have seen it twice.
  • Kidneys: Most recent was 51 GFR, i.e., 51% kidney function.  Lowest was 36% in 2018, so I am happy about the improvement!  I eat vegetarian; limit sodium; limit protein, especially animal protein; hydrate well; drink nettle leaf tea; and take CoQ 10 and Alpha Lipoic Acid.  I also practice visualization and positive affirmations.  
  • Neuroemotions: I was free of psychotic or manic reactions in 2020.  I get a little anxiety that has a prickly feel to it, which lets me know it is at least partly WD.  I know I have been more on edge during the taper, and I am appreciative to my family for being so tolerant.  When I do not get enough sleep, I get cranky.  Now that my sleep is better, I am able to get up and meditate in the morning, which is a great start to my day.
  • Tardive dyskinesia: I was experiencing mild symptoms of TD in 2018, and they have since lessened.  I still get muscle spasms in my face, but the movements are slight and very rare.  I still have tongue fronting, but I hardly notice it.  I got a mouth guard this year to help with the jaw clenching.  I still take Vitamin E, which is recommended to prevent TD. 
  • Sight:  As I tapered down, I noticed my vision start to improve.  I am now using the Bates method to help strengthen my eyes.  
  • Misc.: Headaches are mild.  Nausea has greatly reduced.  Stomach discomfort has gone down a lot, as long as I eat the right foods.  Ears ring occasionally.  A lot of WD reactions have just disappeared at this point.  I am so grateful.  Things act up during my PMS/period.  For example, tired or achy muscles, nausea, headache, tiredness.  I also feel pretty good after exercising now, but I avoid anything too rigorous.  My memory and mental clarity have improved dramatically since I was on the full doses. 
Psychological Healing
  • Psych-K: I began Psych-K therapy this year.  It has helped me reset my core beliefs in order to heal from trauma, have a smoother taper, work toward my vision, improve my relationships, etc.  
  • Placebo effect*: I have also used the "placebo effect" (a la Bruce Lipton, Joe Dispenza) to train my mind to anticipate a smooth taper.  For example, I created a voice recording of about 1/2 page written describing exactly how I want the taper to go, and I listen to it first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and a few times in between.  This has been so powerful to retrain my thinking around the taper process and begin speeding up my taper as I began to approach the "end game". 
  • 12 Step: Because of ideological differences, I chose to leave the 12 Step program in which I participated for a decade once I had found a better option for me.
  • Misc.: I also keep a list of my favorite healing modalities and coping tools--Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), Psych-K, meditation, positive psychology from UPenn, visualization, etc.--and I use them every day.  Find what works for you, and do it every day!
Summary: I think the things that have helped me most are (1) I waited to stabilize in 2018 before beginning a slow taper; (2) I believed the slow taper would work; (3) although I resisted it at first, I began doing everything I could to help in the taper, i.e., no vigorous exercise, trying fish oil, etc.; (4) working from home; (5) Psych-K therapy, hands-down the best therapy I have done yet; (6) positive visualization using my voice recording.  I have been able to heal from my original issues, continue working full time, begin graduate school, enjoy my family life, and work toward my vision.  I feel freer and happier compared to a year ago.  All in all, 2020 was a lot better than 2019!

*Here is what I did for the voice recording: 
Write a 5-minute script, about ½ page, with your vision for your taper.  
Only present tense, i.e., “I feel better and better as time goes on.”  Do not use "I want" because that is in the future, in a certain sense. 
Focus mainly on what you want to move toward rather than what you want to move away from.  
Avoid negatives, “no”, “don’t”, etc.  Instead, use “I am free of…,” “It is effortless,” etc.  
Play some yoga music on YouTube while you read the script aloud and record it on your phone.  I use a free app called Voice Recorder.  This way you have your own guided meditation. 
Listen to it during the 10 min. before you fall asleep and the 10 min. after you wake up every day.  The alpha brain waves at those times make it easier to train your subconscious.  When you are taking a walk or doing something similar during the day, listen to it then as well.
Focus on the feeling you will have when the statements are true, for example, gratitude.  Positive thought + positive feeling = positive belief.
Here are some excerpts from my script: "I have a smooth, effortless taper that I am barely aware is taking place...I sleep 7.5-9 hours a night...I feel great after exercising.  I feel youthful.  Every part of my body feels good every day of the month.  I feel like myself every day...I set my goals for each day, and I achieve them.  I eat a variety of nourishing foods and always have healthy digestion...I see my family and friends as often as possible, and I enjoy the car ride...I am healthier every day...It’s as good as done.  Easy peasy!"
After a few weeks, I felt my thinking about the taper completely shift.    

With gratitude and best wishes for healing and health in 2021, 
CarefulP

@Erell You have inspired me through your story and the support you have offered to others while traveling on your journey.  Congrats on becoming a moderator! 

I CT'd Celexa at age 19 after 5 years on the drug, and it was very difficult.  I didn't know what was happening to me at the time, but I couldn't imagine ever feeling better.  After about a year and a half, the deep depression lifted, and after 2 full years, I was happy.  At that point, I was living in France, so as you can imagine, I have a very good memory of ton pays.  You are still young, and you will heal.  It's not a straight line, but it's a continual movement in the right direction.  🌈

• Moderator Emeritus

So happy things are going so well for you @carefulprayerful!!  You are an inspiration and role model for others trying to taper off these mind changing antipsychotics.  Best wishes to you always, Glosmom

• 5 weeks later...

I just took my last dose of Risperidone tonight: 0.001 mg.  It’s been almost 3 years of tapering!  

Thank you @Glosmom, @Erell, @brassmonkey, @Altostrata, @ChessieCat, @manymoretodays , and everyone else who has shared their experiences.  

Sending love, light, and gratitude to SA ☀️

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow ! Please be proud of yourself ❤

You've done an amazing job with your taper, and I'm truly happy for you 🤗

Thank you for sharing this with us.

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Congratulations on making the jump to "0". Well done.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking