Researching for documentary on iatrogenic illness from antidepressant / antipsychotic / benzodiazepine medications

Erica917

Hi Everyone! My name is Erica F.... and I am developing a documentary on iatrogenic illness from antidepressant / antipsychotic / benzodiazepine medications. 

Earlier this year, I became good friends with a man who opened my eyes to this topic. He detailed the truly horrific journey he went on, purging his body of a drug he was taking to help with anxiety and depression. A drug that left him feeling flat, hallow and essentially, a zombie. After a frightening stay in the hospital, he realized his mental health issues were not the result of illness, but instead the medication he was taking, as directed and under the advice of his physician. My friend continues to improve and grow in his new life, a life he had to rebuild because of the damaging effects of long term use of an antidepressant. After hearing his story, I started research on this topic and was alarmed by just how many others were in the same situation; ravaged by medications that were supposed to help, but ended up harming.

The goal for this documentary is to bring further awareness to all, doctors and patients, regarding the physical and emotional damage these drugs cause. I also hope to provide information and resources for alternative methods of treatment. 

I am interested in speaking with those of you who are considering discontinuation of antidepressant / antipsychotic / benzodiazepine medications, who are currently tapering off medications or who have completed tapering off medications. Initial discussions can be conducted via phone or email. I can also make myself available for in-person discussions, if you are in the New York metropolitan area. I will not be filming any conversations at this time, however for convenience and transcribing, telephone/in-person conversations may be recorded.

Thank you so much for your time! 

Edited by Altostrata
masked name for privacy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Erica,

That sounds great and is very important work! 

Can you let us know if you're willing to hear from people who want to remain anonymous? 

I'd love to share my story, but at the present time I prefer not to be named.

Thanks for investigating this critical yet nearly-invisible issue that affects so many lives. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

@SkyBlue Hi there, Absolutely, I apologize, I should have put that in the original post. At this stage I am doing research only, so no one will be directly quoted or referenced. Once the research phase has been completed, I will be looking for those willing to appear on camera, however that will be done with complete approval from all parties. Thank you so much for messaging! 

• Administrator

Erika, people initially will contact you through our personal messaging system, keep an eye on your inbox.

You might also look at the case histories in the Introductions forum and contact people with whom you'd like to talk. Send them a link to this topic so they know the staff is aware of your activities.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have sent you an inbox. I have permanent impotence and other damage for life since being drugged from the age of 9 or 10.

Cocktail drugged since 9

Genitals went numb

Extreme intestinal gas and pain

Extreme anxiety cant concentrate

All permanent

Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction (PSSD)

http://pssdblog.blogspot.com

Hi Erica,

i have sent you a message. I am not worried about anonymity, and willing to talk to you about my experience.

Thanks

2011 - started Venlafaxine (again) at 75mg Raised to 150 mg at some point - unsure of dates. Reduced back down to 75 mg. Doctor advised this would be a lifetime, maintenance dose

2017 - Side effects now intolerable. Started taper from June 15th - 5% dose reduction steps (two 12 hourly doses).

2017 - October 20th - took last dose of Venlafaxine - 4 mg. Debilitating symptoms followed.

2017/18 - diazepam - 8mg/day for 1 month - 7 week taper Feb 2018

2017/18 - duloxetine - max 90mg - now stopped

2018 - Feb 25mg quetiapine, increased to 50mg.

2018 - March/April - increased venlafaxine slowly (10mg steps) to 75 mg/day. Recovery from withdrawal followed.

2018 - July 13 - stopped quetiapine after 2 month taper. Late July - had to reinstate quetiapine due to intolerable withdrawal. Now tapering from 25mg

2019 - June - stopped quetiapine after 10 month taper. Mild insomnia only symptom.

2021 - June - venlafaxine approx 6.0 mg see Taper history details

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, frasier23 said:

Sorry to hear this. Glad yourre open about it since it must be crazy. With impotence do you men you can have sex not even by your self. Can you get horny at all?  Sorry for private questions just interested since Ive had and still have some issues in that departement. Its fked up. Very cool and brave of you to fight for this. 

Thanks, I don't have erections of arousal feelings in my genital area anymore unless extreme stimulation by myself. And then the erection keeps dropping because my brain cannot connect to stay aroused. It causes trauma, I lost enjoyment and excitement for nearly all other things too, most PSSD sufferers call this part Anhodenia. Also my digestion is now an all night and day party which is quite disheartening too along with dry eye damage my tear glands do not function anymore my eyes are in pain and blurry all the time. Thank you for your kind words. I hope to do something about it and it will be nice to have a decent quality of life despite this and more acknowledgement and support from the medical industry. The shame should not be mine to bear. I want to be free moving forward may be I never fully will be but there are still things I and others can do. For anyone who might be affected's sake.

I hope this documentary comes off and that more documentaries and interest will rightly be made.

Cocktail drugged since 9

Genitals went numb

All permanent

Fk. Are you free / how long have you been free from medicines? How is sleep? Have you had any progress last years or is it only getting worse? 

Saw your video,  you have a cool aura hope you can find something meanwhile healing(at least some) . 

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

Thank you. I have been off if not free from medications for 7 years now. Nothing has changed, it has not improved or gotten better at all. 

Cocktail drugged since 9

Genitals went numb

All permanent

Are you able other things in life like exercise,lift weights, xbox etc?

You have a crazy story. Saw your documentary, great work, hope it gets some recognition. Even though I only believe  in natural healing nowadays its important researchers know about this. 

Have you tried (are you able) to go to a different country and study for example a foreign language? 

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

Have your eyes been dry like that for 7 years as well?

11 minutes ago, frasier23 said:

Are you able other things in life like exercise,lift weights, xbox etc?

You have a crazy story. Saw your documentary, great work, hope it gets some recognition. Even though I only believe  in natural healing nowadays its important researchers know about this. 

Have you tried (are you able) to go to a different country and study for example a foreign language? 

I can play football but I am injured currently. It is one of my few only outlets, but thank god for that. Thank you, was that the PSSD: Secrets of Mental Health Documentary?

I am not sure, I am 28 now, if I can cope living with this somewhere in an even more unfamiliar place. Maybe I should consider something like this. I recently went away with a trip with work where I volunteer with children. Just for the weekend. I found it quite difficult struggling with a lot of these things I have to acknowledge they are there really, pretending it isn't real only gets so far. I had a further injury very easily with iodine and vitamins and my damaged digestion collided, it burnt out my throat and may have affected my eyes too. That was in my attempt to get better. There are loads of people and facebook groups of people that have linked the dry eye disease to antidepressants, it most likely or definitely even aggravated a situation caused by the medication to easily occur. The low amount of natural things I took have not done that to other. That was about 3 years ago maybe.

Cocktail drugged since 9

Genitals went numb

All permanent

5 hours ago, fema4psychiatrists said:

Thank you. I have been off if not free from medications for 7 years now. Nothing has changed, it has not improved or gotten better at all. 

Did you have mental issues from the withdrawal that gradually improved?

2009-2010 Citalopram 20mg CT no problems

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

2011- 2017 June 2017- Citalopram 20mg CT

11 hours ago, fema4psychiatrists said:

I can play football but I am injured currently. It is one of my few only outlets, but thank god for that. Thank you, was that the PSSD: Secrets of Mental Health Documentary?

I am not sure, I am 28 now, if I can cope living with this somewhere in an even more unfamiliar place. Maybe I should consider something like this. I recently went away with a trip with work where I volunteer with children. Just for the weekend. I found it quite difficult struggling with a lot of these things I have to acknowledge they are there really, pretending it isn't real only gets so far. I had a further injury very easily with iodine and vitamins and my damaged digestion collided, it burnt out my throat and may have affected my eyes too. That was in my attempt to get better. There are loads of people and facebook groups of people that have linked the dry eye disease to antidepressants, it most likely or definitely even aggravated a situation caused by the medication to easily occur. The low amount of natural things I took have not done that to other. That was about 3 years ago maybe.

Good to hear you can enjoy some football, hopefully I can run in the future too. Yes exactly that documentary.

I know by experience strong sleep aids and/or serious sleep deprivation can cause dry eyes too, just another idea. It has taken me 2 years to be able to ocassionally use lenses again.Ive focused a lot on my diet, guessing you have too. I also have somewhat red eyes which I believe came from my SSRI journey. Hasnt been restored but it doesnt affect me that much. 

I truely believe that a shift in environment can create a lot of good things in the brain. Combine that with learning a new language, meeting new friends etc and things may start moving a little bit in some area. New environment and learning a new langauge is both backed by science that it creates good things in your brain.

Maybe try 1-2  months language school in some european country you like?  Maybe tohether with someone ypu know? Read that you had been forced upon risperidone , do you still have hallucinations, intrusive thoughts etc ? 

What kind of countries do you think are the best to go to? I am always pondering drastic changes to change something. I hope Erica's project does end in a documentary.

Cocktail drugged since 9

Genitals went numb

All permanent

Appreciate the questions and answers here, this is great information. Since I do not have lived experience, I am not sure I always ask the right questions, so I appreciate those of you with lived experience asking the right questions for me. I am very much committed and determined for my research to produce a documentary. I will be honest, it is going to be a slow process as it takes time to gather info, film and edit, however I believe this issue desperately needs to be brought to light in a big way, so I hope that my doc can do that. Thank you all for helping me!

• 3 years later...

@Erica917

How is your documentary project going?

Best wishes,

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice.