SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

David77: Withdrawal Venlafaxine

David77

Hi. I used citalopram for 15 years and after that venlafaxin 300mg/day for three years. I tapered out Venlafaxin over 11 months last year. Now i have been without medication over six months. I have so much withdrawal-sympthom that im thinking of giving up and go back to medication. Im thinking of going back on a low dose of medication and try to tap it out again later using the 10% method. Do you have any recommendations  about this? What dose will i goback to? Should i go back to a low dose or should i go up to the maximum dose i used before and start from there? Should i go back to venlafaxin again or should i use another AD-medication (maybe one ssri instead of ssni? )? 

I am very grateful for any recommendations or support I can get. /David

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi David77, welcome to SA!

It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings.  See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

If you are considering a reinstatement, and venlafaxine was the last med you were on and for three years, then that would be the one to reinstate.  Please be aware that at six months off, there is a risk that it may not work, or may cause an adverse reaction.  Reinstating at a very low dose to begin helps to minimise the risk of severe adverse reactions.  Please read this topic for information about reinstating:

about reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

What withdrawal symptoms are you experiencing and how severe are they?

Edited by Songbird

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Songbird changed the title to David77: Help! Withdrawal Venlafaxin

Hi. Im 6 moths in my withdrawal right now and i have big sleeping problems. I thinking of trying Melatonin. Is there any risk that using melatonin can 

prolong or damage the withdrawal-process? Is it better to use Melationen and get my sleep than 

sleep too little and hope it will get better later? What are yur thoughts. I gratefull for all input and help i can get. /David

(Post moved from the Melatonin topic so that David's history is in one place)

Edited by ChessieCat
added note
  • ChessieCat changed the title to David77: Withdrawal Venlafaxine

Hi. Im 6 moths in my withdrawal right now and i have big sleeping problems. I thinking of trying Melatonin. Is there any risk that using melatonin can 

prolong or damage the withdrawal-process? Is it better to use Melationen and get my sleep than 

sleep too little and hope it will get better later? What are yur thoughts. I gratefull for all input and help i can get. /David

Im in the same situation - 6 months into withdrawl. Ive reinstaed 6 beads. Its helped with the horrible anxious feeling and eased up the concentration problems a little but ive got hot flashes all over which is worrying. Its like my body cant tolerate it anymore. 6 beads is about 1.8mg

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

Effexor XR 75mg 2006 - 2016 (Discontinued Feb 2016) - Withdrawal for 6 months.

Effexor XR 75mg Re-instated June 2017 (Discontinued Dec 2017)

Effexor XR 2-3 mg Re-instated March 10 2018 - 1 day (Didn't work)

Effexor XR 2mg Reinstated (Again) May 11 2018. 6 Beads

July 2018 - 0.0mg of Effexor. Zilch

6 hours ago, Lloyd said:

Im in the same situation - 6 months into withdrawl. Ive reinstaed 6 beads. Its helped with the horrible anxious feeling and eased up the concentration problems a little but ive got hot flashes all over which is worrying. Its like my body cant tolerate it anymore. 6 beads is about 1.8mg

Ty for answer. So you reinstaed to 1.8 mg venlafaxin? / David

• Administrator

Welcome, David.

How did you feel when you were on Effexor? What is your sleep pattern? Have your symptoms gotten better or worse since you went off?

Here's are some topics about sleep and melatonin:

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

14 hours ago, Songbird said:

Hi David77, welcome to SA!

It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings.  See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

If you are considering a reinstatement, and venlafaxine was the last med you were on and for three years, then that would be the one to reinstate.  Please be aware that at six months off, there is a risk that it may not work, or may cause an adverse reaction.  Reinstating at a very low dose to begin helps to minimise the risk of severe adverse reactions.  Please read this topic for information about reinstating:

about reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

What withdrawal symptoms are you experiencing and how severe are they?

Ty very mutch for answering. How mutch is a very low dose? The lowest dose i used when i tapered was 37,5 mg (they dont have smaler i think). Ty very mutch for your help.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, David.

How did you feel when you were on Effexor? What is your sleep pattern? Have your symptoms gotten better or worse since you went off?

Here's are some topics about sleep and melatonin:

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Hi. Ty for answering. I have never have problem with my sleeping pattern before. Not when i was on effexor and not before i started to use a.d. My sleeping problems started 4 moths after i quited and the last three weeks it have been worse.

• Administrator

Do you have any Effexor capsules left? If you open them up, what's inside?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Do you have any Effexor capsules left? If you open them up, what's inside?

No but i remeber there where smal white "balls" inside the capsules.

For sleep and claming effect I found chamomile tea helps allot & its the one thing i dont react badly to. Are you sleeping during the day at all? I found if i nap during the day i have a terrible sleep at night.

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

• Administrator

David, if I were you, I might try reinstatement of a very small amount. Your system might not like a full dose.

Two options: 1) Very low dose Effexor. If you get the 37.5mg capsule, you can take a small portion of the contents. Sometimes it's little beads and sometimes it's mini-tablets inside. If you get the kind with beads inside, you might take 10 beads to start, see how it affects you.

2) Otherwise, you might try a low dose of Prozac, maybe 1mg. It comes in a liquid, or you can make your own liquid from the powder in the capsule.

Please confer with your doctor to see what kind of prescription you can get, and let us know.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

David, if I were you, I might try reinstatement of a very small amount. Your system might not like a full dose.

Two options: 1) Very low dose Effexor. If you get the 37.5mg capsule, you can take a small portion of the contents. Sometimes it's little beads and sometimes it's mini-tablets inside. If you get the kind with beads inside, you might take 10 beads to start, see how it affects you.

2) Otherwise, you might try a low dose of Prozac, maybe 1mg. It comes in a liquid, or you can make your own liquid from the powder in the capsule.

Please confer with your doctor to see what kind of prescription you can get, and let us know.

Ty for answering. Why prozac. Is it good to reinstate another substance. Can i reinstate to an ssri-medication? In that case i get ride of the noradrenalinmedication.

• Administrator

Effexor is more likely to stop Effexor withdrawal, but some people use Prozac to "bridge" off Effexor, as Prozac is a little easier to taper. Prozac is an SSRI.

Perhaps you might try a bit of Effexor first. Can you get regular immediate-release venlafaxine? You can make a liquid from that. You cannot make a liquid from the extended-release beads or mini-tablets.

14 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Effexor is more likely to stop Effexor withdrawal, but some people use Prozac to "bridge" off Effexor, as Prozac is a little easier to taper. Prozac is an SSRI.

Perhaps you might try a bit of Effexor first. Can you get regular immediate-release venlafaxine? You can make a liquid from that. You cannot make a liquid from the extended-release beads or mini-tablets.

I think i just can get capsules of Effexor. So its not dangerous to use an ssri medication? Prozac is not common in Sweden but we have other SSRI. Citalopram is the most common. I belive the serotonin is the biggest problem for me because i used SSRI 15 years and Effexor 3 years (the last three years).

• Administrator

Your reasoning is incorrect. Your body became dependent on Effexor. Reinstatement of Effexor is most likely to work, but an SSRI might, too.

Since you've been off so long, your guess is as good as anybody's. You could try 1mg citalopram, but because it has a shorter half-life than fluoxetine (Prozac), it's a little trickier to taper.

15 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Your reasoning is incorrect. Your body became dependent on Effexor. Reinstatement of Effexor is most likely to work, but an SSRI might, too.

Since you've been off so long, your guess is as good as anybody's. You could try 1mg citalopram, but because it has a shorter half-life than fluoxetine (Prozac), it's a little trickier to taper.

Ok. Ty very mutch for good advice. So fluoxetine is easier to taper? My english is little weak. What means "immediate-release venlafaxine"?

Witch is the easiest way to tapper citalopram? I will take to my doctor on monday so i have to make an descision soon.

On 6/15/2018 at 8:23 PM, Altostrata said:

Im so stupid. Was at hospital because to bib anxiety yesterday. They told me to start reinstatement att 75mg. I thought that was to big dose so i took 18.5 mg insted. My anxiety and panic is gone but my skin is burning and i cant sleep. What should i do now. Im really scared. Is this dangerous? Ty again for all help!

I get the burning skin sensation, it wont hurt you. But yeah you may want to reduce from 18.5mg to something less.

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

• Administrator

Reinstatement of Effexor?

Yes, that is why we advise taking a very small dose. You might stop taking whatever it is you're taking, let the reaction settle down, and take a lot less, closer to 1mg or 2mg.

You can taper citalopram with a liquid, which may be available by prescription in your country, or you can make your own liquid from a tablet.

• 2 months later...

Hi. after 1,5 month at hospital im home again. Right now im on 150 mg venlafaxine. I will wait for a while before i start to taper my medication again. next time i will use the 10 % method. I wonder if its possible to buy odd doses from the medicine companies?

David,

In the UK we can get venlafaxine (slow, or extended release) in 32.5, 75 and 150mg that hold minitablets of 12.5mg.

They can even be cut in half if you are careful (giving 6.25mg).

Useful at the start of your taper.  Beads are better when you get to small dose.

By chance, one of the brands with minitabs was Swedish - Bluefish or something similar it was called.

Be very careful in tapering venlafaxine.

I have crashed twice, even though I tried to follow the taper rules.

A few of us with, say, childhood trauma may have greater difficulty in coming off some ADs no matter how careful we are.

I tapered 5-10% every four weeks over last 2 years and still crashed and had to updose.

Back at 100mg just now, but better, or "not bad".

Best wishes

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

• Administrator

Thanks for that excellent information, peng.

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, David77 said:

I wonder if its possible to buy odd doses from the medicine companies?

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi David, hope you are feeling better! How did you go getting back up to 150mg of Effexor? What dose did they start you off on and was it rough in the begining? Asking because ive had a difficult time getting my effexor dose back up to anything beyond 3mg. Get a bunch of symptons, but to be honest i think most of them are from my anxiety.

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

Hi. I quitted effexor in dec 2017. After 6 month i was very depressed and have many withdrawal symptoms. I started at 18.5 mg for one day, then  37 mg for 4 days and then 75 mg. Became so depressive and suicidal that i ended up in hospital. I probably started on at to high dose but my psycical condition was vera bad. Now im up on 150 mg.

23 hours ago, peng said:

Should read:

capsules of 37.5mg

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi David. Sorry to hear the effexor made you so sick. I remember when I started the psych meds I was first offered effexor but decided to go with wellbutrin. If you want someone to talk to in swedish about this feel free to pm, I know it can feel lonely when you have no one who can relate.

Otherwise hope you feel a little better now, 

2011-2015: Escitalopram (Cipralex) 20 mg, Voxra 300 mg (quit Voxra in late 2015, no issues)

2016: Started tapering Escitalopram 5 mg at a time, every fourth week

July 24th, 2016: Escitalopram 5 mg

April 2nd, 2017: Quit last dosage (WD worsened a lot)

Ca 6 last months of 2017: Taking Diazepam 15-25 mg irregularly, less than once a month

Ca Dec 2017: Out of Diazepam, i.e free from all prescribed drugs

Now: Still drug free

Supplements: Irregular intake of Omega-3, magnesium, vitamin D.