jefflc: Zoloft

jefflc

Ok after reading forums on this site it seems like my doctor gave me poor withdrawl advice.

I was on Zoloft (sertraline) for 6 months, I started my dose at 50mg and then upped it to 75mg and then again to 100mg at its peak. I upped it due to tic's I had. I thought my tic's were caused by stress and anxiety but they weren't so upping it didn't make it any better. However the SSRI's worked very well except for some sexual dysfunction problems, so myself and my doctor decided to ween me off the meds and this is how my tapering schedule went.

100mg - 100 - 100 - 100

75 - 100 -75 - 100 

75 - 75 -75 -75 

75 - 50 -75- 50 

50 - 50 - 50 - 50 

50 - 25 -50 -25

25 - 25 - 25 -25 - Finished

Since starting the taped I was getting head spins and feeling dizzy. Since coming off them completely my head spins are very frequent, when I stand up or sit down or even move my head too quickly. Sometimes I can feel vertigo like and can feel unsteady on y feet. My balance isn't great and I've fount myself tripping over my own foot from time to time leading to more obsessive thoughts, is this the early on set of MS? Did I have a mild stroke in my sleep? I know none of this is true but it's the obsessive thoughts that I was having before taking Zoloft creeping back in. 

Recently I've started to feel very angry for no reason and thinking about things that can upset me, when I was on Zoloft none of this was apparent, I can't explain how good I felt and although I know this is part of the withdrawl process it just seems like it goes on for too long. Whats the point in taking SSRI's if you're going to feel the way you did before for a year or so, doesn't make sense to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure a number of people on this forum have gone through the same things as me. Thanks. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi jefflc, welcome to SA.  As you've discovered, SSRIs may suppress symptoms, but do not really cure anything.  Original conditions can still be there once the meds are stopped, usually along with some withdrawal symptoms as well.  Most doctors do not have very good tapering plans.  This taper looks very fast, and alternating doses is not a good idea, it's just confusing for your system.

It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  This information will help us to help you as best we can.  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings.  See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg