catali: paroxetine withdrawal nightmare

catali

• Moderator Emeritus

Obviously if you have been diagnosed with asthma or something similar, then you might have no choice but to use an inhaler.  If this is the case then I suggest you discuss the various options that are available.  There may be (I have no idea) inhalers that are not steroidal and might be worth trying first.

However, this may be a withdrawal symptom.  Other members have reported this symptoms.  I have experienced it in the past and occasionally still suffer from it.

I think it would be a good idea to investigate breathing and relaxation techniques before using an inhaler.  I have found these helpful when I feel like I cannot get a full breath of air.  If you are suffering anxiety then it may be related to that.

Here is SA's topic on the subject:

shortness-of-breath-and-other-breathing-issues

SA suggests when starting anything new to first try a small dose to see how you respond to it.  And only make one change at a time.  If you change more than one thing at a time and there is an issue, you will not know what is causing the issue.

SA is a site for tapering/withdrawal of psychiatric drugs and does not counsel about how to get off steroids. 

If you do decide to use a corticosteroid inhaler be aware that when/if you stop using it you might need to taper it.  I suggest that you discuss this with your doctor before commencing it and to do your own research for steroid tapering/withdrawal and/or look for groups, forums etc that may be able to assist.  This way you can make an informed decision.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I hate the idea of using something else that will require tapering. I’ve been stuck on my current paroxetine dose of 7.5mg for 8 months now to try to stabilise from the withdrawal symptoms and I’m so frightened of setting them off again. Life has been horribly stressful as it is: mother had a stroke: nearly lost my relationship. One of the side effects listed for the steroid inhaler is depression and mood changes and I just don’t want to risk that. However, it also feels like I’m rejecting something that might help me. It’s one of those impossible decisions that are so difficult to make and it’s stressing me badly. 

Seroxat 20+ years (20mg) 

c. 2014 tried to taper off seroxat but returned to 20mg dose within a month or so.

c.9 feb. 2018 from 20mg to 10mg seroxat every day. c.23 Feb to 10mg every other day, 22 Mar stopped seroxat, started 15mg mirtazapine.

3 Apr to 30mg mirtazapine. 16 may to 45mg mirtazapine. 31 May to 30mg mirtazapine. 6 June to 15mg mirtazapine. 10 June 10mg seroxat and stopped mirtazapine.

Current meds are10mg seroxat, 50mg amitriptyline (for fibromyalgia) from c.2004; 2mg doxazosin (blood pressure) and indapamide (blood pressure), both from c.2012; propranolol 10-20mg as required (up to 3 times a day) taken during periods of anxiety from c.2012.