SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cephalopodzebra: Lexapro is a devil of a drug

Cephalopodzebra

Hello everyone,

...been lurking on this site for awhile, but just now worked up the courage to post. I’m 30 years old, and was taking 10mg of Lexapro daily for a total of 7 years. I began tapering January of 2018, and so far I’ve managed to make it successfully down to 2.5mg daily. I’m planning on staying at this dose for quite some time before initiating another taper.

Honestly, this experience overall has been quite horrible. My worst symptoms have included: a metallic taste in my mouth, EXTREME e-x-t-r-e-m-e fatigue and sudden extreme irritability towards my peers. Some of this irritability has led to outbursts of anger at work, and I’m constantly worried that my coworkers will complain to my boss about it...which leads to anxiety attacks and the vicious cycle continues.

I do have one question for current forum members. Has anyone experimented with CBD oil to help ease withdrawal symptoms? Is this frowned upon overall? Any advice would be helpful.

So far, I’ve been battling this hell with a supportive boyfriend, a cute dog, forcing myself to exercise, eating as clean as possible and taking the recommended supplements (ie. fish oil and magnesium). I’ve also been reading a lot about probiotics and supporting gut bacteria.

This is a fun ride we’re on, huh!?

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cephalopodzebra: Lexapro is a devil of a drug
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to SA,

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the current dose and holding for at least 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  If you had started tapering at the beginning of January year following this protocol you would be at  5.31mg.

What you are now experiencing are withdrawal symptoms from having gone too quickly.  You may be experiencing other symptoms which you haven't attributed to getting off the drug.  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Instead of trying CBD oil, which some members have reacted badly to cannabis-marijuana-thc-or-cbd-to-ease-withdrawal-symptoms, you would be better off updosing by a small amount.  It is better to try a small increase, even going to 3mg and see if that eases the symptoms.  If after about 1 week you find that you have had no improvement you could increase by another 0.5mg.  If you have felt improvement after going up to 3mg you would need to decide if you are going to hold at that dose or increase.  The idea of updosing isn't to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.  Post #1 of this topic gives some information which is also relevant to updosing About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

Please keep notes on paper.  This is an example:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

A symptom pattern that occurs regularly over several days could mean the symptoms are from withdrawal, other adverse effects of drugs, or something else you do on a daily schedule.

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms.

What we need to see for every individual day over several days is:

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in morning
- Time and description of any symptoms in the morning

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in afternoon
- Time and description of any symptoms in the afternoon

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in evening
- Time and description of any symptoms in the evening

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in middle of the night
- Time and description of any symptoms in the middle of the night (such as waking)

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, such as:

6 a.m. Woke and vomited
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Had diarrhea
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Stomachache
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Headache got worse
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke with headache

An appointments diary is perfect for this and can be bought at stationery stores. 

They have a page for each day with times for appointments which can be filled in with doses, symptoms etc as shown by Alto.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management