jordidog

jordidog: Paxil

jordidog
9 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

If it was me, I'd be starting to taper off the Paxil.  There is a very strong possibility that you are experiencing serotonin toxicity.

I've had mild serotonin toxicity from being on a high dose of Pristiq 100mg, no other serotonin drugs involved.  Once my dose got lower I started feeling a lot better and realised what symptoms I had been getting that were caused by the serotonin.

What I experienced:  sweating even on a cold day, anxiety, agitation, trouble concentrating, confusion, having a 2 hour sleep probably 4 or 5 days each week, and still sleeping through the night, increased diastolic blood pressure, skipping/missed heart beats.

I’m on 10paxil/10 Prozac. Just over one week now on both. I have anxiety and trouble concentrating. Early waking with anxiety. 

Was told it would take 2-4 weeks to stabilize 

ChessieCat
On 8/20/2019 at 1:04 AM, Blandell said:

I’m doing Prozac bridge since Aug  12 th, 2019

on 10mg Paxil and 10 mg Prozac  

I have to apologise.  I misread the date and thought it said April 2019, not August.

So that we have clear information please post the dates and doses of your bridge, stating what dose you were taking of Paxil before you added in the Prozac.

Also post what your doctor's plan is.

jordidog
1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

I have to apologise.  I misread the date and thought it said April 2019, not August.

So that we have clear information please post the dates and doses of your bridge, stating what dose you were taking of Paxil before you added in the Prozac.

Also post what your doctor's plan is.

I posted my doses

As soon as I’m settled then will taper Paxil 

Ill go super slow...starting at 1% is my thinking 

Any ideas?

ChessieCat
Posted (edited)

So you were taking 9.5mg (or 10mg) Paxil and added Prozac and have been taking that since 12 August which is about 8 or 9 days.

The idea of the bridge is to change over from one drug to another over a few weeks.

It only takes about 1 month for the brain to adapt to getting a drug.

Did you read the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac?

On 11/18/2011 at 6:23 AM, Altostrata said:

Do not stay on the combination of the first antidepressant and Prozac for more than 2 weeks, or you run the risk of your nervous system accommodating to the combination and having difficulty tapering off both antidepressants.

Q:  What is your doctor's plan?  Did he say to increase the Prozac when you reduce the Paxil?

uc?export=view&id=1Z4c9SgeqVa6rrt-B5eSos

Edited by ChessieCat

jordidog
20 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

So you were taking 9.5mg (or 10mg) Paxil and added Prozac and have been taking that since 12 August which is about 8 or 9 days.

The idea of the bridge is to change over from one drug to another over a few weeks.

It only takes about 1 month for the brain to adapt to getting a drug.

Did you read the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac?

Q:  What is your doctor's plan?  Did you say to increase the Prozac when you reduce the Paxil?

uc?export=view&id=1Z4c9SgeqVa6rrt-B5eSos

I didn’t say to increase Prozac as I taper Paxil 

yes I’ve read the Prozac switch article

ChessieCat
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  What is your doctor's plan?  Did he say to increase the Prozac when you reduce the Paxil?

You still haven't answer my question.

BTW I've corrected that to:  Did he say

Edited by ChessieCat

Altostrata
On 8/20/2019 at 7:59 AM, Blandell said:

I’m on 10paxil/10 Prozac. Just over one week now on both. I have anxiety and trouble concentrating. Early waking with anxiety. 

Was told it would take 2-4 weeks to stabilize 

On 8/20/2019 at 4:49 PM, Blandell said:

I posted my doses

As soon as I’m settled then will taper Paxil 

Ill go super slow...starting at 1% is my thinking 

Any ideas?

Blandell, as Chessie said, the idea of the switch is to slide over from one drug to the other within a short amount of time. It does not require as gradual a taper off the first drug as the second drug (Prozac) is presumed to substitute for it.

When you added Prozac to Paxil, you increased your serotonergic stimulation -- but because the drugs inhibit each others' metabolism, it's possible you more than doubled this effect.

Did you just go off Prozac and increase Paxil? Why did you do that? Didn't you want to go on Prozac instead?

jordidog
3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Blandell, as Chessie said, the idea of the switch is to slide over from one drug to the other within a short amount of time. It does not require as gradual a taper off the first drug as the second drug (Prozac) is presumed to substitute for it.

When you added Prozac to Paxil, you increased your serotonergic stimulation -- but because the drugs inhibit each others' metabolism, it's possible you more than doubled this effect.

Did you just go off Prozac and increase Paxil? Why did you do that? Didn't you want to go on Prozac instead?

I also coping with our only child moving out soon...he announced it the day I had tapered down to 9.5 mg. The life event was an extremely emotional trigger for me. 

I decided to drop Prozac and increase Paxil to 15mg, in order to stabilize. I’m also taking a small amount of clonazepam each day to help me during this transition. 

I will not attempt anything until I’m settled 

ChessieCat
9 minutes ago, Blandell said:

I’m also taking a small amount of clonazepam each day to help me during this transition. 

It only takes about 2 weeks to become dependent on a benzo.

jordidog
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

It only takes about 2 weeks to become dependent on a benzo.

I’m paying attention and am working with a good dr

Edited by ChessieCat
removed duplicate quotes

ChessieCat
2 minutes ago, Blandell said:

am working with a good dr

You haven't answered my question:

On 8/21/2019 at 10:01 AM, ChessieCat said:

Q:  What is your doctor's plan? 

jordidog
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

You haven't answered my question:

As soon as I feel stable from updose of Paxil then will start lowering clonazepam dose

i can take 2 -5mg tablets per day right now

Edited by ChessieCat
removed duplicate quote

ChessieCat

What I wanted to know is what was the doctor's plan for the Prozac bridge.  That is, what dose of each drug were you supposed to take for how long as you did the cross taper.

jordidog
2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

What I wanted to know is what was the doctor's plan for the Prozac bridge.  That is, what dose of each drug were you supposed to take for how long as you did the cross taper.

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I can’t answer that... not a clear idea of that. I am no longer taking Prozac. The dr that started me on the bridge went away for one month immediately and I was directed to locum dr. It felt too disjointed and scary to me so in consultation with another locum, who I liked and saw 2x this week, we decided not right time for me to do bridge. Too much going on in my life that is destabilizing for me 

jordidog
16 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Well there wasn’t much of a plan...I was to take 10 mg of each for 4 weeks while dr was away. 

Because thst dr was away I was seeing clinic docs, one of whom helped me imo by stopping Prozac, upping Paxil, and starting me on clonazepam 

ChessieCat
7 hours ago, jordidog said:

Well there wasn’t much of a plan...I was to take 10 mg of each for 4 weeks while dr was away. 

Definitely not much of a plan.  They had no idea of how to do a Prozac bridge.  I wouldn't be seeing that doctor again about anything psychiatric drug related.

7 hours ago, jordidog said:

Because thst dr was away I was seeing clinic docs, one of whom helped me imo by stopping Prozac, upping Paxil, and starting me on clonazepam 

Well it seems like you are happy with the new doctor's plan.

jordidog
40 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Definitely not much of a plan.  They had no idea of how to do a Prozac bridge.  I wouldn't be seeing that doctor again about anything psychiatric drug related.

Well it seems like you are happy with the new doctor's plan.

Yes I prefer her. I was there 3x this week in lots of distress

I’m doing my best 

Altostrata

jordidog, what's going on? When do you take each of your drugs, at what dosages, what times of day? What is your symptom pattern?

What is the clonazepam supposed to do for you?

jordidog
7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

jordidog, what's going on? When do you take each of your drugs, at what dosages, what times of day? What is your symptom pattern?

What is the clonazepam supposed to do for you?

I’m taking 15 mg Paxil each morning 

Prozac is gone. Stopped it 4 days ago. 

Clonazepam .5 mg is for the extreme anxiety/distress. I take 1/2. 

zoplicone 5 mg is for sleep 

yesterday I took 1 of 1/2 a clonazepam. 

Mornings have been worst. Anxiety sadness

I use DARE resource and tap and breathe. I need to cry a lot which helps to release the sadness that builds up. 

Im sad about life transition with our only son moving out. Has always lived here 

ChessieCat

Please include these in your drug signature:

Clonazepam and zoplicone

ChessieCat
6 hours ago, jordidog said:

yesterday I took 1 of 1/2 a clonazepam. 

When posting about your doses, please use the specific quantity of the dose.  Thank you.

jordidog
14 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

When posting about your doses, please use the specific quantity of the dose.  Thank you.

I took 1/2 of a .5 mg tablet of clonazepam 

Altostrata
6 hours ago, jordidog said:

I took 1/2 of a .5 mg tablet of clonazepam 

That would be .25mg clonazepam. In the future, please refer to the dosage you're taking, rather than the number of tablets.

"Depression" can be a side effect of benzodiazepines such as clonazepam.

Not sure what 's going on. Making drug changes while going through something that's upsetting is not a good idea. However, if you continue to take clonazepam and zopiclone regularly, you may become at least physiologically dependent on them.

My guess is when you were taking Paxil and Prozac, both SSRIs, together, you were taking too much SSRI for your system. Reducing Paxil, which was the crossover plan, might have fixed this, but your doctor failed to monitor your drug changes or follow through with the cross-over process.

Not sure what happened when you dropped Prozac and increased Paxil, possibly more excessive SSRI. Could be that too much Paxil is causing your sleeplessness. However, rather than address what might be an adverse reaction to Paxil, your doctor has prescribed clonazepam and zopiclone.

As this is as site for going off drugs and you're following your doctor's advice to increase drugs, not sure how we can help you. Please discuss further drug side effects and tapering concerns with your doctor and contact us again when you have decided to decrease your drugs.

ChessieCat

Clonazepam .5 mg -up to 3 -1/2 tablets per day 

Zoplicone 5 mg. 1 tab at bedtime as needed

Please include the dates that you started these drugs.