Amino Acids for Alcohol and Benzodiazepine W/D

Jemima

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm reading Beating Stress, Anxiety & Depression by Professor Jane Plant and Janet Stephenson, both of whom went through various misdiagnosed medical issues which resulted in their having experiences much like Rebekah Beddoe describes in Dying for a Cure. (Someone on this forum recommended the book, but I can't remember who. Thank you!) Jane eventually became hooked on one of the Benzodiazepines and went through an excruciating withdrawal until she figured out that Taurine and 5-HTP greatly alleviated her symptoms. Alto's post on L-Arginine reminded me of this.

This is a really helpful book. Jane also has a website with a lot of interesting links regarding nutrition:

http://www.cancersupportinternational.com/janeplant.com/

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I read all her books, quite inspirational especially the osteoporosis one. The stats on countries with high dairy consumption to bone problems is staggering.

She is a professor in something like geology, so is interested in minerals and diseases etc.

It was scary how one of the women narrowly avoided ECT, until her husband did some research and stepped in.

Sept 2010 - Citalopram 1 day

Sept 2010 - Zopliclone for ten weeks (paranoia ended a couple of months after coming off this and sleep settled down again until the last couple of months)

Ocober 2010 - Cymbalta 30mg

November 2010 - Cymbalta 60mg

February 2011 - 60mg to 30 mg (lasted 10 days)reinstated 60mg

March 2011 - Took 2 60mg tablets on one evening in error - paralysis of face, back of head, shoulder, stabbing in right kidney, lost 30% of hearing)

March - June 2011 went down quickly 1mg a day until I got stuck at 25mg, went up to 27mg, because couldn't breath.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

7th Aug - began reducing by a bead every couple of days or so went well at first then hit a wall

24th October - now on 18.5mg. Since the kidney infection at start of September, have been in constant pain and anxiety, no let up. Given Ciprofloxacin.

8th Jan 2012 17.8mg (currently reducing 0.2mg a week)

8th Jan 2012 17.6mg last reduction was 6 days ago.

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I read all her books, quite inspirational especially the osteoporosis one. The stats on countries with high dairy consumption to bone problems is staggering.

She is a professor in something like geology, so is interested in minerals and diseases etc.

It was scary how one of the women narrowly avoided ECT, until her husband did some research and stepped in.

Ah! You're probably the person who mentioned this book before. Thank you, thank you.

I just bought her book on osteoporosis. I have it in one hip and for a while, took Evista, a synthetic hormone which works for the spine, but also increases the risk for ovarian cancer, which my mother had and for which I have another risk factor (no pregnancies), so I'm no longer on it. My doctor has recommended increasingly high doses of calcium over the years, but recent studies seem to indicate that calcium supplementation, particularly with calcium carbonate, beyond a certain point increases one's risk for heart attack. I have accordingly cut my dosage in half to 750 mg. and am adding a lot of cruciferous vegetables to my diet.

Both of their stories were really scary. Imagine being set off down the road to mental illness, institutionalization, and addiction from poor quality marijuana!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy