Questions for those who have had success

See alsosuccess-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal

What I read here on this forum both gives me hope and scares me... I am wondering, how many of you have healed after stopping ad's  after longterm use? Need some hope and inspiration..

Love, Eva (and i am so glad I found this forum!)

Edited by ChessieCat
added link

1990-2013: prozac, 40 mg. daily

2013: st. Johnswort, 3 x 300 mg. daily

tapered st. Johnswort, now off it.

magnesium oil: applied to feet, at night

low dose naltrexone: 3 mg. daily

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

calcium: 800 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

August 2014: stopped supplements, reinstated prozac, first 10 mg., now 15 mg. , for severe anxiety and panic and total insomnia.

I'm not there yet...but I am interested in the replies.

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

Everyone reading this has survived of course. As far as who has 'survived' and is completely off Rx and in terific health I am not sure, probably no one though I hope some replies say otherwise. For me the question is how is my health relative to before Rx and during Rx and what else has happened to me that has affected my health. Remember that we stop taking my medication but the world around us doesn't stop and wait for us to get better. I was exposed to stachybotrys and aspergillus fungi which infected my epithelial tissue -- this exposure and illness has nothing to do with that I took Rx but it complicates the picture for understanding how well am I now relative to the medications. Everyone is like this to some degree. Life goes on and other infections and injuries and so on will continue to happen. You don't live forever once you stop taking paxil.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

I started Prozac in 1992 and have been on some kind of psych meds ever since. As of this year I'm down to 1 mg of Celexa (well, 1.1 mg right now, but close). In the process of this very slow taper I have noticed and am noticing huge changes now relative to my past 20 years or so. My enthusiasm for life is back, I want to get out and be involved in things--that was gone before and started coming back once I got under about 2.5 mg or so I guess. Then my ability to connect with and relate to other people, particularly my ability to really empathize, and the desire to as well, that also started coming back around the same time and is still growing. I haven't had this many friends since I was in my 20s, and my life situation is not really that conducive to making friends!

Most recently what I'm noticing is less blunting of emotions and faster processing--I'm feeling things intensely and moving through them faster than before, so if I get bad news or a disappointment I feel intensely sad or disappointed (it feels more intense than on the drugs), but within a few days I move through it (rather than staying stuck and feeling hopeless). I'm also getting back flashes of memories from my life, both before the meds and during the time I was taking them, but mostly before; I'm not sure what that's about. 

Well, there's more, more going on than I can really describe right now. And I'm on a mix of meds, not just an AD. I started Xanax not long after the Prozac and I'm down to a lower dose of it than I have ever been on before, so I'm sure some of the changes can be attributed to that. Actually the whole cocktail works together, I think, so it's impossible to attribute changes to just one thing or another. Plus I recently started thyroid medication (which actually seems to mostly complicate things right now, but definitely has given me more energy and a better attitude.)

So anyway, in answer to your question, I'm not completely through the journey of getting off everything yet, but I am experiencing what appears to be a lot of renormalization, change, improvement. I expect this will continue throughout the rest of my taper and probably for years afterwards as well. It's a fairly gentle process for me because I'm going so slow (although during the rough times I will have a different opinion about how gentle it is!)

I feel like a survivor, for sure.

I should add that I am not young (58 going on 59) so this remodeling process is probably slower for me than it would be for a younger person, since neuroplasticity (like other plasticity of the body, sigh) decreases with age.

Also, I'll add that most of the folks who are active on this forum are still in the process of recovering. When people get better they tend to drift away, or walk away, and not really hang out here any more, quite understandably--once you get your life back you want to LIVE it!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I am now about 6.5 years post-cold-turkey from Paxil/Seroxat and beginning to see the light at the end of a extremely long and dark-black tunnel. Thanks to some circumstances I did survive but without aome crucial support I probably would not be here anymore...  But yes, I feel close to healed though still not free of some nasty symptoms.

And after having been unempoyed for about 6 years, I am planning to remume work in the near future.

Tapering the right way would probably have saved me from this utter misery but that knowledge came too late for me. So I survived, just as the rest of us here. But OMG what a unbelievable long and dark journey. But still thankful for the (almost) recovery and heading for the rest of my drug-free life!

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

Thanks for the reactions.

I have been on Prozac for half my life.. so i guess i can't expect to be fine after just nine months since the last pill. But i really had no idea  what the ad's are doing to your brain and i wish i had known sooner. But i am 47 now and plan to haven at least as many years without the prozac as i had with prozac, that is, 23 years and hopefully more. and i guess I just have to hang in there and have patience.

Hey, Silverstar, I'm from the netherlands too!

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

August 2014: stopped supplements, reinstated prozac, first 10 mg., now 15 mg. , for severe anxiety and panic and total insomnia.

having been at this for a decade and knowing 1000s of folks who've come off these drugs I can say I know of 100s of people who are well and completely recovered. I know some of those people very very well.

I continue to get better...although slowly, the improvements are actually picking up now quite a lot at 4 years out.  I was just thinking of my first mentor who is totally recovered and thriving...she felt she was really recovered at 5 years out...maybe I'll be like her.

In any case, I have seen many recoveries! 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

For what it's worth, I think it's helpful to believe that health is possible so long as a person is alive. I know I am at my most sick when I fall prey to the idea I will never be well again. No matter my failings, I am not irrevocably broken. Neither are you.

I see the naltrexone in your signature. What's the LDN for?

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

The ldn is supposed to help your body produce more endorphins. i started taking it for chronic fatigue and pelvic pain. it works with the pain, but doesn't do much for the fatigue.

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2014 at 9:11 AM, eva said:

Hey, Silverstar, I'm from the netherlands too!

LOL I read this now, my name is Claudius en not Silverstar, that is just a ranking from this website :)

Dus je bent Nederlands, misschien heb je wel eens iets van mij gelezen, ik heb veel geschreven over het onderwerp onder de naam Klaas.

Translation thanks to google:  So you are Dutch, maybe you have read something from me, I have written extensively about the subject

Edited by ChessieCat
added translation

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

• 4 years later...

For anyone out there that has recovered, can you share some insight if your cns sort of cycled before it evened out and you felt well? 

I know this sounds odd and I know we have waves and windows, but I have been doing pretty well for the last several months. Having waves but they have been really manageable. However, as of yesterday, a wave came and brought symptoms that I had, a year ago, in the beginning of this journey. Several of these symptoms have been gone for at least 6 months or longer. 

I guess, i'm wondering, since the brain and cns are healing, each section at different times (like the rubiks cube video), could it take the body an entire year to get through the system and then it goes all the way back to the beginning and starts the healing process over and continues to do that until everything is back to homeostasis? Could that be why this journey takes so long?

Just curious to know anyone's thoughts on this and if anyone has had symptoms come back that have been gone for a long time. 

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Started Remeron 15mg August 15, 2017. Increased Remeron to 30mg October 4, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

Started weaning off of Remeron 30mg. Cut to 22.25mg January 11, 2018

Cut Remeron to 15mg January 18, 2018 Cut Remeron to 7.5mg January 25, 2018

Cut Remeron to 3.5mg January 30,2018. Stopped taking Remeron February 1, 2018

Currently taking: Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit D, Progesterone,

Hormone Replacement Pellets-Estrogen Testosterone 

@mirage Great questions. Hopefully someone answers. My progress so far has been small waves which I barely noticed and now bigger waves so you might be on something. You should mail your thoughts to a neuro doctor or similiar and ask how it works with brain damage in general, drug addicts etc.. 

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

@frasier23 Thank you for responding.

I have never had windows that are free from symptoms but, in the past several months, my waves have been manageable and my windows, short. Now that I am 1 year into this journey, this recent wave, is bringing on symptoms that have long left me. Im going to pay close attention to it and see if waves after this get shorter and will these symptoms quickly become less than they were a year ago.

I have read on some of the success stories that some said they started to see significant changes around the year and a half to two year mark. I guess i'm just thinking out loud. 

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

4 hours ago, mirage said:

@frasier23 Thank you for responding.

I have never had windows that are free from symptoms but, in the past several months, my waves have been manageable and my windows, short. Now that I am 1 year into this journey, this recent wave, is bringing on symptoms that have long left me. Im going to pay close attention to it and see if waves after this get shorter and will these symptoms quickly become less than they were a year ago.

I have read on some of the success stories that some said they started to see significant changes around the year and a half to two year mark. I guess i'm just thinking out loud. 

You really seem like your into something did you cold turkey 

@Liamb123456 Thank you for responding. Yes, I ct. My obgyn put me on the Wellbutrin to help with pms symptoms. I went through menopause a year ago so I thought I wouldn't need the med any longer. I was never told that I would need to taper. Im going to sound dumb here, but I never did any homework on these meds. My dr was so casual when she prescribed it. She said it would take a few weeks and then it would help my monthly symptoms. The ease I had while on the med, had me believe it was just like taking an advil. So here I am, on this journey.

Ive just been doing some thinking and reading back at my daily journals through this experience. The symptoms I am getting now, are almost the exact same as the ones I had at this time last year. Except, they are not as intense. I'm wondering if I will cycle through the same symptoms this year, but with less intensity, and eventually with each passing year, they will get less and less until they are gone. 

4 minutes ago, mirage said:

@Liamb123456 Thank you for responding. Yes, I ct. My obgyn put me on the Wellbutrin to help with pms symptoms. I went through menopause a year ago so I thought I wouldn't need the med any longer. I was never told that I would need to taper. Im going to sound dumb here, but I never did any homework on these meds. My dr was so casual when she prescribed it. She said it would take a few weeks and then it would help my monthly symptoms. The ease I had while on the med, had me believe it was just like taking an advil. So here I am, on this journey.

Ive just been doing some thinking and reading back at my daily journals through this experience. The symptoms I am getting now, are almost the exact same as the ones I had at this time last year. Except, they are not as intense. I'm wondering if I will cycle through the same symptoms this year, but with less intensity, and eventually with each passing year, they will get less and less until they are gone. 

How long were you on meds for??? What symptoms are coming back now that you are a year off??

@Liamb123456I was on Wellbutrin 300xl for 8 years. I stopped the med in early May of 2017. Started getting symptoms in early June 2017. The first 6 months I had every symptom out there. To mention some, severe muscle tics, dark thoughts, over sensitive to light and sound, scared of everything! Couldn't watch anything on tv couldn't go into a dark room or outside in the dark. Restless leg syndrome, shaking in my arms and hands, severe nausea, vertigo and dizziness, cold all of the time, severe insomnia and severe, heart pounding anxiety all of the time. Pain in my jaw and a very tight band around my head. I was so ill I dropped down to 104lbs. I have always been a very social person and a traveler. I thought I would never be able to do any of the things I did before.

Today, I walk my 4 dogs every single morning. I exercise every day. I work 2 days a week, 6 hours per work day. I go out every Friday night. I do dollar taco night with a group of friends every Monday and I have not had to miss anything in the past 2 and a half/3 months. 

Symptoms I still have, 4am cortisol wake up. However, I am sleeping about 6 hours straight every night and I am able to doze a smidge after I wake at 4 am. Anxiety but not the heart pounding, anxiety attack kind. Dizziness. Occasional muscle ticks. I still have a little oddness with dark rooms but its more my vision than me being scared. Occasional, light jaw pain. All of my symptoms are manageable. The one that gets the best of me is the dizziness. I'm not sure how much of that symptom is true dizziness and how much of it is a symptom from anxiety. I have never suffered from anxiety in my entire life, until this journey and I am 53. 

I am making it my mission to heal and to get back to a complete, normal life. Like I use to have. I will not allow myself to be trapped. Life is short and there is still a lot of fun to be had. 

Mirage you sound very similar to me I am now 16 months into a c/t of many drugs but have been suffering for a lot longer I am now starting to sleep 5 hours straight but it doesn’t feel like restorative sleep and wake at 4am with cortisol spikes but not racing heart beat sort of anxiety but I get pulsating tinnitus I can hear my hat beat , like you some of my symptoms lessoned around 12 months they didn’t go away but I could just about live with them but now months 14 to 16 it’s like I have gone back to full blown mode maybe I don’t have windows but a certain times of the day normally mid morning I can feel very unwell so sick and then after 4 to 5 hours I start to feel better that’s when I am able to eat something I think you might be on to something with your theory of what the brain is trying to do by going back and trying to repair other parts from starting at the beginning again , I am pleased that you can work and manage to get out with friends and walk your dogs as this is important I think to speed up recovery , I do walk my dogs every day for 1 hour to get myself out but some days it makes me feel so physically sick and I feel I am going to pass out I think I have got some sort of dystaunomia from all of this but I wish you well with your healing and will watch your progress 

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

8 hours ago, mirage said:

@Liamb123456I was on Wellbutrin 300xl for 8 years. I stopped the med in early May of 2017. Started getting symptoms in early June 2017. The first 6 months I had every symptom out there. To mention some, severe muscle tics, dark thoughts, over sensitive to light and sound, scared of everything! Couldn't watch anything on tv couldn't go into a dark room or outside in the dark. Restless leg syndrome, shaking in my arms and hands, severe nausea, vertigo and dizziness, cold all of the time, severe insomnia and severe, heart pounding anxiety all of the time. Pain in my jaw and a very tight band around my head. I was so ill I dropped down to 104lbs. I have always been a very social person and a traveler. I thought I would never be able to do any of the things I did before.

Today, I walk my 4 dogs every single morning. I exercise every day. I work 2 days a week, 6 hours per work day. I go out every Friday night. I do dollar taco night with a group of friends every Monday and I have not had to miss anything in the past 2 and a half/3 months. 

Symptoms I still have, 4am cortisol wake up. However, I am sleeping about 6 hours straight every night and I am able to doze a smidge after I wake at 4 am. Anxiety but not the heart pounding, anxiety attack kind. Dizziness. Occasional muscle ticks. I still have a little oddness with dark rooms but its more my vision than me being scared. Occasional, light jaw pain. All of my symptoms are manageable. The one that gets the best of me is the dizziness. I'm not sure how much of that symptom is true dizziness and how much of it is a symptom from anxiety. I have never suffered from anxiety in my entire life, until this journey and I am 53. 

I am making it my mission to heal and to get back to a complete, normal life. Like I use to have. I will not allow myself to be trapped. Life is short and there is still a lot of fun to be had. 

Wow that amazing I am 10 months out cold turkey we're you still bad at 10 months out like experiencing still bad symptoms wen did you see big improvement.. you say you go out on Friday night do you have few beers with friends.. how is your fatigue at the moment yes I understand I still get anxiety at time not panic attack or heartpounding anxiety just inner restlessness are you like that why we're you put on this meds yes I'm 26 there is still definitely a lot off fun to happen 

@Liamb123456 At 10 months out, I was just starting to see improvement. Although it was very small. Actually, all improvement has been extremely slight. Baby steps this entire time. 

At some point, I made the decision to go on with my life, no matter how bad I feel. There were many times I went out and only stayed for a short time but I went. I try and remember that the anxiety is just a symptom and I fake until I make it. The more I go out, the more I am telling my brain that I am okay and I am not in danger. Over time, I think that will lessen and I will completely get rid of the anxiety. 

I have had a small glass of wine, occasionally. It does ramp up my symptoms when I have some drinks so I tend to stay away from it for now. 

I describe it as this, my system been shocked. I feel like someone, literally, plugged me into an electrical outlet and zapped me. It sent my body completely upside down. I have been through years of living, with a lot of ups and downs. This journey, by far, has been the most challenging! 

With broken bones Drs know, and we know, approximately when they will heal. With most illness, we can gauge a healing time as well. This is just so unknown and it comes with so many symptoms. It is a lot to come back from but we have to believe that we will come back and we will have gained so much from this experience. 

@Liamb123456 I forgot to answer your question about fatigue. I have fatigue but I don't ever feel sleepy. When I get tired my symptoms just get worse. Its like my body has forgotten what it is like to be sleepy. It is confused. So that creates fatigue but if I lay down, I would never fall asleep. The, previous to this journey me, could fall asleep any time, with no problem. 

• Administrator

Folks, mirage is asking for suggestions leading to improvement. Please try to frame your responses in a positive way, rather than rehashing a litany of your complaints.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Mirage. I am kind of in the same boat as you. I'm about 1 year out from My  cold turkey. I had tried to reinstate afterwards but it was terrible. However my windows are starting to get better. I had a pretty bad wave about 3 weeks ago that sent me right back into a cute. But after that wave I felt like I approved a lot with my symptoms. Just so you know the dawn always comes after the darkness. So when I feel that a wave comes on, I feel like there's just more healing and there will be evidence of this once the wave passes. The fact that you're able to walk your dogs and live a pretty normal life is really encouraging. Your healing is definitely there. Just keep going you're doing great.

Here it goes

March 2015- started 5mg Lexapro

November 2015- switched over to Cymbalta 30mg

August 2016- stopped Cymbalta cold turkey

Early December 2016- took Zoloft 25mg 

Tried to then cross taper over to Lexapro 5mg then up to 10mg for a week

Aug 2017- Stopped lexapro- not sure if seratonin toxicity was present. Er prescribed klonopin- currently tapering .25mg. 

Sept 2017-Tried resperidal 1mg for two weeks

November 2017- Tried Lexapro again 2.5 mg then to 5mg for two weeks then stopped

@Terry4949 Hang in there. I think it is important to continue a, normal, daily schedule as much as possible. So I commend you for walking your dogs for an hour and pushing through. 

I did ask what anyone thought about the system recycling until, eventually, it gets back to a norm or homeostasis. Only because I have a few symptoms back that I had in the very beginning only they are not as strong, also, they have been gone for about 6 months and, boom, here they are. 

I come from a blood line of, "keep on living no matter what". My mother lived on a farm during her childhood. She was the baby of 10 children and her father died when she was 5. She had to leave school at the age of 10 to work on the farm in order to help her mom make ends meet. I watched that sweet women work hard her entire life. She passed from cancer and even in her hospice bed, she would daily lift 1lb weights to keep her strength. Eventually, that terrible illness over came her. I miss her to this day, but I watched her be strong until the very end. I will do the same with this journey. 

Accept that this is where you are right now but continue to push forward. 

@bgoggles1 Thank you for responding. I am in a wave right now. It started Wednesday evening. I did have a smidge of a window last night but woke up to the bad wave again this morning. The waves are not pleasant that is for sure but I make sure I still try and stay with my norm. I do work out but I don't over due it and I am planning on going out tonight for our Friday night dinner with friends. I may not last long, but by golly, I am going to go. 

I think you are right about the dark coming before the dawn. I love that. Thank you for passing that on to me. I look forward to watching your progress and, one day, reading your success story. Stay positive and stay strong dear friend.

@Altostrata Thank you.

Was just throwing out some thoughts. I'm hoping I can be of help to anyone. This journey is a struggle and, perhaps, just one simple thing said, could help change the direction someone goes. 

Looking forward to full healing and helping others on their journey. 

• Mentor

Thanks @mirage for this topic. I am curious about this as I thought I was through with physical symptoms and only (!) have the anxiety/depression/SI. But the last month or so I have had tingles and nerve twitches on the right side of my face occasionally. Doesn't hurt but it is disconcerting. Could be related to nerves from the brain tumor removal so many years ago (I believe changes occur years and years after the trauma) or WD. I am curious, though, if physical symptoms may manifest again. * Great attitude and keep on, keeping on.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

@FarmGirlWorks Thank you for contacting me and for the kind words. 

I write about this journey every day and I looked back at this time last year and it is odd how many of the symptoms have come back but again, not at the same level. My worst and most difficult symptom is the dizziness. When that one goes away...I am going to celebrate! That may be a new pair of cute shoes. lol! 

I'll include you in my prayers. Stay strong.

On 6/28/2018 at 7:53 AM, mirage said:

For anyone out there that has recovered, can you share some insight if your cns sort of cycled before it evened out and you felt well? 

I know this sounds odd and I know we have waves and windows, but I have been doing pretty well for the last several months. Having waves but they have been really manageable. However, as of yesterday, a wave came and brought symptoms that I had, a year ago, in the beginning of this journey. Several of these symptoms have been gone for at least 6 months or longer. 

I guess, i'm wondering, since the brain and cns are healing, each section at different times (like the rubiks cube video), could it take the body an entire year to get through the system and then it goes all the way back to the beginning and starts the healing process over and continues to do that until everything is back to homeostasis? Could that be why this journey takes so long?

Just curious to know anyone's thoughts on this and if anyone has had symptoms come back that have been gone for a long time. 

MIrage -- I can't say that I've recovered, not yet. But I'm now almost two months post jump from Celexa. So I do have perspective on how this works.

The windows and waves metaphors indicate and suggest a pattern. It goes like this:  pain and then surcease from pain; pain and then surcease from pain. REPEAT MANY, MANY TIMES. Each time it's the same pain but slightly different; not as bad as the last time. The good thing is that this pattern is a downward spiral. That is, because of the last reduction, the next period of pain will be just a teenzy bit less painful.

That pattern keeps going, and ittle by little and bit by bit the pain gets less painful. You get better. It happens so slowly we barely notice it, but it does happen so we all need to pay attention to it. Pain manifests in various ways, and those ways go away, and then they come back. But they do not come back as strong as the were; there's always a difference. Things that were a big pain, go away, and then return slightly less painful. 

The pattern continues. For me: three years, eight months.

But the pattern continues in my recovery period. Now that I no longer have any Celexa in me I'm noticing that the old pains are barely returning at all, and when they do they're vestiges. Not nearly as bad. 

How long the cycling takes is probably dependent on the person. You hear a lot on SA that "we're all different." What we mean by that, I think, is that we all experience the same symptoms but to greater or lesser degrees and to greater or lesser amounts.

In withdrawal, cycling down to normal IS normal. 

We'll all get to the other normal eventually. I always like to remember that change as a concept is neither negative or positive.  Since change is inevitable, it's smarter to think of it as a positive. I usually do.

So I think the changes we become are going to be good ones. I'm looking forward to them.

Myndfull

I had tried and failed to stop Paxil several times (though never using a long, slow taper) and thought Celexa might be easier, so I shifted to Celexa in 2012. In August of 2014 I began a serious tapered withdrawal from Celexa (20 mg.), making monthly drops, mostly 10% of the last dose, sometimes more, sometimes less.  In July of 2016 I took an early retirement at 59 in large part because of my intense withdrawal  symptoms.

Three years and eight months after beginning my taper, I stopped taking Celexa on 5/12/18.

I am currently in recovery and I am very slowly getting better. I still have waves and some are quite bad. But overall the trend is toward healing.

@myndfull Thank you! You explained that in such a great way. I truly appreciate you responding and sharing that. It is of great help to me.

I have noticed that some symptoms are getting lighter or less, but then some, just as severe. It is the dizziness that complicates things for me. I think because it is harder to, sort of disregard it. However, I am managing to still get things done and to still live.  I have to constantly remind myself of that and not go down the path of what I use to do and how I use to be. It is still about living and finding meaning and staying positive. 

I have to remember my glass is half full and one day, it will be half full with wine. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello mirage,

In my opinion, being one year off is still very early days.  I didn't used to believe people when they said the same thing to me, but I am now four years off, so I now look back at myself at one year off and realize how early that was in the recovery process.  You will heal so much more, and it doesn't sound to me like you should be scared or worried at these symptoms that returned.

Whether we refer to it as "cycling" or as "windows and waves," the thing to keep in mind is that recovery from this is not linear.  

In the first two years off, I'd get so shocked and scared at the windows and waves, and so shocked that sometimes stuff would reappear... but I eventually got way, way better.  I have so much faith that you will, too.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

@WiggleIt Thank you for taking the time to contact me and thank you for the reassuring message. I am for sure better than I was at this time last year but pretty far from my normal self. This dizziness is the hardest symptom. If that would go away I would be pretty healed. I can handle the anxiety and, occasional muscle ticks but the dizziness, hard. I also still feel that scrambled brain feeling. That is a hard symptom to explain. It is very odd. 

I'm taking it one day at a time. Some days are much harder, of course. I try and think that I still need to live and to make sure, for myself, my family and my friends that each day has some good quality time in it.

At 4 years off, it sounds like you are doing well. That is re assuring and so GREAT to hear! THANK YOU!!!!

6 hours ago, WiggleIt said:

Hello mirage,

In my opinion, being one year off is still very early days.  I didn't used to believe people when they said the same thing to me, but I am now four years off, so I now look back at myself at one year off and realize how early that was in the recovery process.  You will heal so much more, and it doesn't sound to me like you should be scared or worried at these symptoms that returned.

Whether we refer to it as "cycling" or as "windows and waves," the thing to keep in mind is that recovery from this is not linear.  

In the first two years off, I'd get so shocked and scared at the windows and waves, and so shocked that sometimes stuff would reappear... but I eventually got way, way better.  I have so much faith that you will, too.

How long were you on meds for 

@Liamb123456 I was on 1 med, Wellbutrin 300xl for about 8 years. 

Mirage wrote:

I just read your responses here and you are both so great and positive. This is a tough journey. I am in a wave and have been since last Wednesday. I had a smidge of a window yesterday but, clearly over did it as we had 32 people over for the Fourth of July. I am suffering for it today with really extreme dizziness. However, I wouldn't have traded it. The day was wonderful. I have always been one to have the events at my house and I love to entertain and prepare food and to let people feel welcome and have a good time. I have not been able to do that since this began in June of 2017. It was really beautiful to watch the love and the laughter that was in my home all day yesterday. I love my little nieces and nephews flying inside and outside of the house and the excitement of the fireworks on their faces. God gave me a good day. 

One thing I noticed last night, I have a weird sensation when being in the dark. It is something with my eyesight. Hard to describe. I don't lose any sight and I don't have burred vision. It is odd and it causes the dizziness to be worse. Did either of you experience anything like this or do you know what is going on? 

Answer:  

Hi, Mirage,

I don't think I have any issues with being in the dark, but I do have a lot of eyesight issues.  Being in low light is difficult both eyesight-wise and emotionally. I have muscular issues with my right eye related to WD.  It used to twitch -- the muscles that control vision seemed to twitch.  It was not just my eyelid.  I would get cramps in those muscles and right side headaches from using the eye.  I patched it, and then I could read without causing cramps or headaches!! Very, very strange, huh?  It has been much better lately.  

A lot of people complain of eyesight issues in WD and others say that any weakness in the body seems to be amplified.  To hear that you have a problem in the dark that you can't describe or explain does not surprise me at all.  I had surgery for a lazy eye on the right side when I was 10.  Maybe that's why my right was affected and not my left?  Who knows.  Could be coincidence.  

I suspect that whatever is happening to you will resolve with time.  Your brain just needs time to heal perhaps. 

I'm very happy to hear that you have so few symptoms.  It's wonderful that you were able to have a 4th of July party and that you enjoyed it.  I'm sure that was a good thing even if you have some extra dizziness as a consequence.  Hold on to your social life as much as possible.  It's very important.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

On June 29, 2018 at 9:32 AM, mirage said:

@Liamb123456 I forgot to answer your question about fatigue. I have fatigue but I don't ever feel sleepy. When I get tired my symptoms just get worse. Its like my body has forgotten what it is like to be sleepy. It is confused. So that creates fatigue but if I lay down, I would never fall asleep. The, previous to this journey me, could fall asleep any time, with no problem. 

I could have written this!!  It is getting better all the time.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep