Ted Talk on opiod withdrawal

Caspur

A very moving talk, but an all to familiar scenario. Very upsetting to watch. I think I know how he feels as the withdrawal process is very similar to most other psychiatric drugs when things get bad.

https://www.ted.com/talks/travis_rieder_the_agony_of_opioid_withdrawal_and_what_doctors_should_tell_patients_about_it#t-845463

2011 - started Venlafaxine (again) at 75mg Raised to 150 mg at some point - unsure of dates. Reduced back down to 75 mg. Doctor advised this would be a lifetime, maintenance dose

2017 - Side effects now intolerable. Started taper from June 15th - 5% dose reduction steps (two 12 hourly doses).

2017 - October 20th - took last dose of Venlafaxine - 4 mg. Debilitating symptoms followed.

2017/18 - diazepam - 8mg/day for 1 month - 7 week taper Feb 2018

2017/18 - duloxetine - max 90mg - now stopped

2018 - Feb 25mg quetiapine, increased to 50mg.

2018 - March/April - increased venlafaxine slowly (10mg steps) to 75 mg/day. Recovery from withdrawal followed.

2018 - July 13 - stopped quetiapine after 2 month taper. Late July - had to reinstate quetiapine due to intolerable withdrawal. Now tapering from 25mg

2019 - June - stopped quetiapine after 10 month taper. Mild insomnia only symptom.

2021 - June - venlafaxine approx 6.0 mg see Taper history details

10 hours ago, Caspur said:

A very moving talk, but an all to familiar scenario. Very upsetting to watch. I think I know how he feels as the withdrawal process is very similar to most other psychiatric drugs when things get bad.

Interesting talk.  I am curious as to when this happened to him.  There are currently far more resources and knowledge about opioid withdrawal than antidepressant tapering and withdrawal. 

MANY doctors are cutting people off cold turkey with absolutely no advance warning and it is *thought* to not be harmful or long lasting.  I've read several people say that it is a walk in the park compared to AD or benzo withdrawal (my experience, also).  

I'm, in no way, dismissing his distress or the failure of doctors to provide accurate information.  

Also, a commenter said that tapering is the worst way to do it (with opioids, I believe).  She didn't explain.  

I have not missed your salient point that the lack of knowledge, Informed consent, and support, is criminal (my words). 

Thanks for sharing.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi Barbarannamated

I dont know much about opioids, but I did have friend who used Tramadol for an extended period and suffered insomnia for a couple of weeks after stopping. Thats the extent of it for me.

The speakers references to wanting to die and seeing no way out, struck a chord with me as thats exactly what I experienced during AD withdrawal (venlafaxine). I'm just thankful to be here now to be honest.

Cheers

2011 - started Venlafaxine (again) at 75mg Raised to 150 mg at some point - unsure of dates. Reduced back down to 75 mg. Doctor advised this would be a lifetime, maintenance dose

2017 - Side effects now intolerable. Started taper from June 15th - 5% dose reduction steps (two 12 hourly doses).

2017 - October 20th - took last dose of Venlafaxine - 4 mg. Debilitating symptoms followed.

2017/18 - diazepam - 8mg/day for 1 month - 7 week taper Feb 2018

2017/18 - duloxetine - max 90mg - now stopped

2018 - Feb 25mg quetiapine, increased to 50mg.

2018 - March/April - increased venlafaxine slowly (10mg steps) to 75 mg/day. Recovery from withdrawal followed.

2018 - July 13 - stopped quetiapine after 2 month taper. Late July - had to reinstate quetiapine due to intolerable withdrawal. Now tapering from 25mg

2019 - June - stopped quetiapine after 10 month taper. Mild insomnia only symptom.

2021 - June - venlafaxine approx 6.0 mg see Taper history details

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy