Caspur

Ted Talk on opiod withdrawal

Caspur

A very moving talk, but an all to familiar scenario. Very upsetting to watch. I think I know how he feels as the withdrawal process is very similar to most other psychiatric drugs when things get bad.

https://www.ted.com/talks/travis_rieder_the_agony_of_opioid_withdrawal_and_what_doctors_should_tell_patients_about_it#t-845463

Barbarannamated
10 hours ago, Caspur said:

A very moving talk, but an all to familiar scenario. Very upsetting to watch. I think I know how he feels as the withdrawal process is very similar to most other psychiatric drugs when things get bad.

Interesting talk.  I am curious as to when this happened to him.  There are currently far more resources and knowledge about opioid withdrawal than antidepressant tapering and withdrawal. 

MANY doctors are cutting people off cold turkey with absolutely no advance warning and it is *thought* to not be harmful or long lasting.  I've read several people say that it is a walk in the park compared to AD or benzo withdrawal (my experience, also).  

I'm, in no way, dismissing his distress or the failure of doctors to provide accurate information.  

Also, a commenter said that tapering is the worst way to do it (with opioids, I believe).  She didn't explain.  

I have not missed your salient point that the lack of knowledge, Informed consent, and support, is criminal (my words). 

Thanks for sharing.

Caspur

Hi Barbarannamated

I dont know much about opioids, but I did have friend who used Tramadol for an extended period and suffered insomnia for a couple of weeks after stopping. Thats the extent of it for me.

The speakers references to wanting to die and seeing no way out, struck a chord with me as thats exactly what I experienced during AD withdrawal (venlafaxine). I'm just thankful to be here now to be honest.

Cheers