CaptainZeep: has a quick question

CaptainZeep

Hi everyone. Quick intro:

Due to a long term dependency on alcohol to self medicate my panic disorder I decided enough was enough had sought detox which in turn led me to my doctor approx 2+ years ago.

Since then I (had) been sober until 7 weeks ago where went on an awful bender before ending up in hospital and going into detox again.

I have been diagnosed as depressed for over 15 years but I have always been very weary of AD's ... 

my panic disorder was finally diagnosed around 18 months ago and since then I have had citropram thrown at me briefly before being switch to escitropram which seemed to work wonders

I was back working and was busy and happy and less anxious and had the bright idea to taper of because "I" thought I did not need them"... bad idea

two weeks after my last dose I started to crash emotionally and physically sometimes ...until I ended up drinking again (briefly)
After detox my doctor spoke to me about my experience on escitropram and I told her it gave me bad stomach ache after taking but worked...

so she decided to try me of Venzir/Effexor XL 75mg

1 day and I have quit... my nerves lit up like a Christmas tree and the nausea was unbearable and add to that here in the UK we are in the middle of a savage, clammy, humid heatwave...

I took it yesterday morning and today I am still suffering extreme nausea and tingling all over still ... ONE pill may have messed me up for a few days ?

Does anyone have any experience like this ?  

It should be well out of my system by now ... it's been 26 hours and its half life is only 16 

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing
  • ChessieCat changed the title to CaptainZeep: has a quick question
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi CaptainZeep, welcome to SA.  I apologise for the delay in replying, staff are all volunteers and some are away right now.  

Well done for taking control and getting help for your alcohol issues, it took courage and you did well to stay sober. You had a relapse but picked yourself back up which is admirable.  

You reacted badly to effexor and it will take time to settle, but you are also suffering from withdrawal from lexapro (escitalopram). 

Many many people quit as you did, believeing they did not need the drug, only to find themselves in brutal withdrawal. This is not because you still needed the drug for your problems, but because the drugs change the way the brain works. When it is suddenly taken away the brain and nervous system is thrown into chaos trying to compensate.  As you have been off for several weeks you could find some relief with a very small dose of escitalopram, which is available in liquid that would make it easier to get the tiny dose. Lexapro is quite strong so I would suggest a very tiny 0.5mg, you would need to dilute the liquid to get that dose.   It takes several days to reach a steady level in the blood. We often find that people feel much better after reinstating the tiny doses. After being off for a while the body often can't tolerate normal doses. Doctors don't usually understnd how such a small dose helps but we have graphs and scientific stuff that shows how it works.  When you are feeling up to it you can find them in symptoms and self care.  When you have stabilised you could then start to taper off that small dose. 

We require all our members to fill in their signature with their drug and taper history. You can find instructions here

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Here are some links for you to read and help you understand what is happening and explaining reinstatement. 

What is withdrawal syndrome

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

About reinstating

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

About tapering lexapro

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible