samanthajane: Effexor withdrawal

samanthajane

i am currently two weeks into withdrawing from Venlafaxine 225 mg ER and i am in excruciating pain. i am on prozac for the aid but it barely helps. I feel trapped by this, I can't work and my psych refuses to write a note excusing me due to this so i have lost my job. I am constantly out of it now and forget where i am frequently. I have horrible light sensitivity and can't stop sweating. I was a drug addict for several years and have gone through severe withdrawals from narcotics in rehab and this is very similar if not worse. My brain doesn't feel like mmine and I don't feel supported by the doctor who i should be able to trust. feeling very lost right now and need suggestions

• ChessieCat changed the title to samanthajane: Effexor withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi samanthajane, welcome to SA.  I'm sorry to hear that you are in such pain.  Why did your doctor decide to switch you from venlafaxine to prozac?

It would be helpful if you could create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and helps us see your situation easily without having to read from the top every time.   Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

Doctors often switch meds around without realising that they often do not cover for each other very well.  When you change quickly from one med to another you can get withdrawal from the first med along with start-up effects of the new one.  While some people manage to switch meds successfully, for others it can be a disaster.  It may be possible to switch back to the first med and restabilise, and then later taper it very slowly. 

See:  about reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Is it possible you could find another doctor?

Edited by Songbird

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg