SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Roxyrich: adverse reaction to prozac

Roxyrich

hi my name is rich.

my story starts 3 years ago.i became addicted to opiates after a shoulder injury ,I took them for around 18 months .I was absolutely hooked,they helped me sleep and got me through the day,and if I,m honest I had no problems,i thought I could stop any time.wrong. I forgot to take a couple of doses 1 day and all hell came my way.after my first ever anxiety attack I decieded to stop c/t.

after 16 full days of no sleep I went to the doctors.he put me on a taper and at my request Prozac, at 20mg,to help with w/d.

if your wondering why Prozac,my girlfriend takes them as needed and had great success every time.

I took Prozac for a year and tapered off quite quickly and had no problems whatsoever.

a very difficult albeit self inflicted time in my life was over.

fast forwards 3 years to November 2015.

I was under a lot of pressure at work and spent more money than I should,even though I was earning enough to cover it.i had a couple of slight anxiety issues which scared me,then a health scare which made me worse.then bad news about an investment.it was still something I thought I could handle,but I was wrong.I had a panic attack,so I went straight to the doctors and asked for help.

after a conversation with him, I asked once again for Prozac,and he agreed.

I took one 20 mg tablet and went to bed.i didn,t sleep all night, so I didn,nt take another.after about 2 weeks I still wasn,t feeling myself so I just thought man up and take the tablets.

I took them for 6 days and on day 6 felt so bad I went to hospital.the doctor told me I needed to stop right away,so I did.

that was 2 months ago.i have been in hell ever since.

I have been lurking on this site for a month and can say has helped me a great deal ,although some stories scare me badly.

I,m scared everyday as my symptoms change hourly ,I,ve read a lot of stories and know I,m not alone.              

any advise on coping would be very welcome .

after reading stories for a month I feel I know all of you ,and think this site is a lifesaver.

thanks,rich.

Opiates 18 months 2010 to 2012

Prozac 12 months 2012 to 2013

Prozac 7 doses of prozac late November 2015.

Adverse reaction on the 7th dose.

Stopped cold turkey on the last week in November 2015.

Immediately suffering from acute w/d.

Severe insomnia, anxiety, burning head.

Doctor prescribed propranolol for anxiety, adrenaline rushes.

Propranolol 10mg 4× a day.

Nearly 3 months after reaction, new symptoms include,

Awful insomnia,burning head.waves of depression and suicide ideation.

Hi. Sorry your struggling. What are your symptoms. The more detail you can share the better for someone to help you.

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Roxyrich , welcome to the site.    Thanks for explaining your situation so clearly , and I'm sorry this has happened.

There are many ideas and suggestions in the Symptoms and Self care section which may be helpful.

The only way to halt the w/d symptoms is by reinstating a tiny amount , 1 or 2mg of prozac.  Clearly , you had an adverse

reaction to 20mg , but 1mg might just do the trick.  You can then stabilize , and taper slowly.

See the thread on reinstating here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Whatever symptoms are thrown at you , remind yourself constantly that they're temporary , and they always pass.  

Your brain is trying to find equilibrium , and is bouncing around in the process.

You WILL get better ,  it's going to take time and patience.

Glad you found your way here ,   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks fresh and Christian

My symptoms were just awful at the beginning, mainly burning head,

Massive anxiety, severe depression,and total insomnia.

Then after the first month I seemed to get windows and waves and every week I thought I was improving, but I've just entered my 3rd month and adrenaline ,anxiety and panic have set in due to insomnia.

In the beginning I just took it in my stride ,but waking in sheer panic sets me up for the day .

I have had good nights, like 7 hrs but it's almost always followed by a night full of hypnic jerks and severe morning fatigue .

It's the fear it brings that scares me.

Does the fear become less with time.

Oh I almost forgot when waves are bad,I get an insane hunger, that has to be fed or the anxiety explodes in my head.weird eh.

Thanks again for your help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes , the fear becomes less with time.  

And it becomes less when you can separate from it and say "Oh , it's a wave of panic again. This is from the drugs and it's going to pass".  Cognitive behavioural therapy.

I had that eating thing too when I was sick. When it came , I had to eat NOW. I couldn't wait 2 minutes

to heat something in the microwave , it had to be that second. Even now as I'm tapering , when I get

woken with a heat wave , I need to eat.

The morning adrenaline surge is from cortisol , see this thread  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Roxyrich.

I beg to differ with our good moderator Fresh. It sounds to me that you had an adverse reaction to Prozac. I would not take any more of that or any other serotonergic again.

Since you went off Prozac 3 years ago, your nervous system must have become sensitized to psychiatric drugs, particularly serotonergics. (Have you taken other drugs in the last 3 years?) That initial dose of 20mg Prozac in November was excessively stimulating. The other 6 doses ramped this up further.

You need to let your nervous system settle down from the uproar. See our Symptoms and Self-care forum  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to cope with symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks fresh and alto

I'm still new to all this , and I sometimes let the fear control me.

It's funny how I can be so calm in the evening. It all seems doable, then the morning brings back the fear.I'm gonna have to learn to ride it out.

God it's good to talk to people who believe me.

Saying that, my friends and family are doing there best to help me.

I'm sorry alto , I sent the email from my inbox, instead of here.

Thanks fresh and Christian

My symptoms were just awful at the beginning, mainly burning head,

Massive anxiety, severe depression,and total insomnia.

Then after the first month I seemed to get windows and waves and every week I thought I was improving, but I've just entered my 3rd month and adrenaline ,anxiety and panic have set in due to insomnia.

In the beginning I just took it in my stride ,but waking in sheer panic sets me up for the day .

I have had good nights, like 7 hrs but it's almost always followed by a night full of hypnic jerks and severe morning fatigue .

It's the fear it brings that scares me.

Does the fear become less with time.

Oh I almost forgot when waves are bad,I get an insane hunger, that has to be fed or the anxiety explodes in my head.weird eh.

Thanks again for your help.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

Interesting. Your story is kind of like mine. Same symptoms. The fear is brutal. I quit Lexapro Cold turkey in June 2015 after 15 years. I too, had building stress and reinstated in late November for 8 days. I didn't like the increased anxiety, light headedness. I increased on day 7 and 8 to 10 MG and my head almost exploded. I then stopped and endured insane headaches and dizziness for three weeks. Then the fear, cognitive issues and insomnia set in. I reinstated again at 5 MG on 1/1. Still waiting for it to kick in. My reinstatement is due to me quitting 6 months ago I think. Not from the 8 days. But I think it's debatable to determine if I went into protracted WD or had an adverse reaction to the 8 day reinstatement dosage increase. Do you have windows or are the symptoms constant?

To answer your question about fear is that today was the first day I don't think I had it. Or it was reduced. Instead I have been completely exhausted and kind of out of it this afternoon. Difficult to drive for the first time. I'm hoping its from the 6 weeks of insomnia (only 3 hours total sleep last night).

• Administrator

Roxy, it sounds like you get a strong cortisol surge in the morning. See the Symptoms forum for lots of discussion about this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Cristian.

Yeah, I think it's a fine line , once you've become sensitised , it seems reading other people's stories, only a small amount is needed to reduce symptoms.

It seems maybe like mine your dose was too big ,and also like me head pain.

I'm sorry, it seems none of us are getting enough sleep , even though we know it's the very thing that would make us better.

I actually slept quite well last night,but I nearly didn't tell you in case I jinx myself, crazy paranoia.

I hope you have success with your reinstatement, I don't think it's for me, I'm way too scared,plus I've made some progress, so I'll stick it out.

Regards, rich.

Hi , yeah, waves and windows have been with me after the first month.

I understand reading on this site, I'm quite lucky, but there's a twist,

I have good days which I try to enjoy, but,in the back of my head, doubt,

So I have anxiety on the good days.

It's funny but on the bad days, physically I'm able to cope, because pain is all I think about,so my mind doesn't wonder.

Sorry about the long answer.

Hi alto,I think your right about cortisol waking me up.

I have noticed that my mornings are worse if I have a paracetamol the day before. have you come across this.

I also sometimes take magnesium, but only 50mg a couple of hours before bed,anymore and I have nightmares, and if I take it in the early hours I feel drunk .

I guess I'm sensitive to everything.

Had a good night's sleep last night? Only to be followed by a bad day.

Some days I feel week with waves washing over me,and earlier today had a strange feeling in my head,very scary.

I can't help feeling as time goes on,my fear is harder to control.

I guess the thought of this lasting years scares me.

No sleep tonight, adrenaline and hunger. I'm just hanging in there, but how can I heal when adrenaline can't be controlled. I can't see an end to it.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I too had an abverse reaction and somewhat stabilized on 5mg of Celexa. You will heal it's just going to take longer than you want.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction
July 2013 5mg celexa and .5mg klonopin daily

5/15/16 started lamictal and currently at 25mg daily once a day.

1/1/17 crossed over from .5mg klonopin to 10mg Valium.

3/1/17 off celexa from getting down to around .25mg.

5/25/17 started tapering the Valium from 10mg to 9mg

6/25/17 dropped down to 8mg Valium 

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

7/2/17 updosed to 10mg Valium and holding split twice a day and holding.

3/1/18 dropped Valium from 10mg to 9.5mg

4/1/18 dropped Valium from 9.5 to 9mg still on 25mg lamictal.

Updosed 6/20/18 Valium 10mg and 25mg lamictal and holding.

Cheers dj it helps to hear from people who understand. I ended up with a few hours of sleep last night, and have had a decent day too.

I'm not the most patient guy,but I'm gonna learn patience that's for sure.

Hope your ok ,wishing you big windows dj.

If you don't like me calling you dj just say.

Cheers dj it helps to hear from people who understand. I ended up with a few hours of sleep last night, and have had a decent day too.

I'm not the most patient guy,but I'm gonna learn patience that's for sure.

Hope your ok ,wishing you big windows dj.

If you don't like me calling you dj just say.

Is your anxiety and fear constant? Or does it come in spurts? I am not the most experienced person on this site but read enough stories. It seems like the anxiety and fear improves first. Sleep and cognitive is last. This is what people have also told me from their experience not just me speculating. But as you know everyone is different. The fact you are sleeping 7 hours is almost a miracle. It means to me it will happen more and more.    

Hi Christian, yeah the anxiety does come in spurts. I have to try hard to distract myself, but sometimes, like tonight, it flows over,and I'm all over the place.no sleep tonight, that's for sure.

Yeah my sleep has improved, but good night's are rare,but I realise some people don't have any, so I try to remain positive.

How's your anxiety, hope you're doing well buddy.

You are in better shape than me. My anxiety is constant. More fear. You will recover. Your already improving. We are on the same timeline. Can you work ?

No, I just don't feel well enough. My bad days are still really bad.

Last night no sleep, just anxiety.

Like I said I do sleep well on the odd day,but I make up for it the rest of the time by only getting a couple of hours.

Very frustrating. What can you do at 2.00am is torture.

Sorry to hear your suffering, do you get waves and windows.

Hi Roxyrich.

Do you take any stimulants during the afternoon / evening time i.e. caffeine or alcohol?  How long has the sleep disturbance been going on now?  I suffered from insomnia for about a couple of months and then it started to get better slowly.  I also suffered from cortisol surges when I woke at 4am or earlier, though I practiced Mindful Meditation which seemed to easy the symptoms somewhat. I can say that both Insomnia and Cortisol problems have diminished greatly, though I still wake at 3am or 4am but can turn over and get back to sleep.  I also for about 6 months use to feel sick in the morning and sometimes that would last until lunchtime. It was a queasy feeling rather than heaving, but touch wood this has gotten a lot better in the past week to 10 days.

You will heal but it will take time.  You may not notice you're healing but soon you will take a look at the last few months and see that you are improved. You may experience setbacks but these will also strengthen the healing process.

Hang on in there, you will and can do it!!!

Namaste, DC.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

Hi dc.because I've been through opiate withdrawal, and searching this forum, i knew to cut coffee and alcohol ,straight away. But I no means an expert.

I'm completely out of my depth.

The insomnia started with the prozac back in November. I went about 5 weeks with maybe 6 or 7 hours overall. The doctor just smiled. I said I'm not kidding, and he said if I went back to work I'd get my sleep back.what!!!!

Anyway I started seeing some sleep in the second week of January, and it's kinda been 1 day some sleep, 2 days hardly any ,but I have seen incremental improvements in the last week or so.

This made me positive, then bang no sleep and adrenaline rushes all night for 2 nights. It's the frustration that bites ,and the windows haven't been bad but the waves just burn your soul.

Sorry to be so melodramatic but opiate withdrawal was a walk in the park compared to this.with that the recovery was linear, everyday I got a bit better. But with ssri wd it just keeps going.

I know no one can say for sure but do you think my recovery will be fairly swift as apposed to protraced. I've been able to walk since day one and even though I have to eat like a horse ,my diet is pretty stimulant free.

Sorry for rambling.

How are you dc ,compared to the beginning.

Hi dc.because I've been through opiate withdrawal, and searching this forum, i knew to cut coffee and alcohol ,straight away. But I no means an expert.

I'm completely out of my depth.

The insomnia started with the prozac back in November. I went about 5 weeks with maybe 6 or 7 hours overall. The doctor just smiled. I said I'm not kidding, and he said if I went back to work I'd get my sleep back.what!!!!

Anyway I started seeing some sleep in the second week of January, and it's kinda been 1 day some sleep, 2 days hardly any ,but I have seen incremental improvements in the last week or so.

This made me positive, then bang no sleep and adrenaline rushes all night for 2 nights. It's the frustration that bites ,and the windows haven't been bad but the waves just burn your soul.

Sorry to be so melodramatic but opiate withdrawal was a walk in the park compared to this.with that the recovery was linear, everyday I got a bit better. But with ssri wd it just keeps going.

I know no one can say for sure but do you think my recovery will be fairly swift as apposed to protraced. I've been able to walk since day one and even though I have to eat like a horse ,my diet is pretty stimulant free.

Sorry for rambling.

How are you dc ,compared to the beginning.

I am confused. When you said you have insomnia you are saying that based on 6-7 hours of sleep a night? You know 6-7 hours is a lot of sleep for most people let alone folks in WD. Doctors recommend 6-8 hours. Most people here are getting 0-4 hours with mostly interrupted sleep. Is that not your case? If I got 6-7 hours I would be dancing in the streets!        

Hi Christian. No I meant I had 6 or 7 hours in 5 weeks. As I said to the doc , I wasnt joking.

Probably an hour some nights and some nights nothing.

I literally was a zombie.

Then I started to see some improvements. I started to get 2 to 3 hours some time and only in the last 2 weeks have had two 7 hour nights. But as I said it's gone back to virtually nothing again.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm no author.

Hi Christian. No I meant I had 6 or 7 hours in 5 weeks. As I said to the doc , I wasnt joking.

Probably an hour some nights and some nights nothing.

I literally was a zombie.

Then I started to see some improvements. I started to get 2 to 3 hours some time and only in the last 2 weeks have had two 7 hour nights. But as I said it's gone back to virtually nothing again.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm no author.

Got it. It's tough to pick up everything I read when it feels like my head is in a vice. Sorry !

Wishing us all sleep tonight.

Roxy, I promise your sleep will come back it's just going to take some more time. I had it bad the first 4 months. Have you tried camomile tea before bed? Did wonders for me. Also having some noise like waves or something soothing in the background. Even the furnace fan can take myself out of my head and allow me some sleep.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

Hi. Yeah I drink chamomile tea all day.that and water.Im scared to drink anything else.

I had a good night, last night , so like you said, my sleep hopefully will come back.

Just 1 question, I've had about 3 really good night's since this began. And on all 3 I've woke up with headache, any thoughts? .

Not sure what the headache is about but I had it and very little sleep for 4 months and it all came back and now I can sleep through the night.

From what I read, sleep is the healer dj.so hopefully your well on your way to recovery.

Even though I have some good sleep, it's mainly bad.I'd love some continuity.

Having said that I always look forward to bed , no matter what it brings.

No sleep again last night, this time it's depression, I just can't see anything positive. I feel like I'll never be able to live my life again.

Nothing to look forward to. I pray this is temporary.

Absolute fatigue. keep dropping off ,only to be jerked awake after 2 minutes.

Also dreams and flashbacks as soon as I drop off.has anyone else experienced this.

It's torture.