SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Ather: from Zoloft to Prothiaden to Zyprexa - now have tinnitus

Ather

• Administrator

@cloud23  I posted on your Introductions thread. Do not ignore the palpitations. Let's discuss your situation in your own topic.

@Ather please be careful about making recommendations to other members. While they will appreciate your support, keep in mind that they might follow your recommendations, which might be wrong for them and cause them harm.

On 10/1/2018 at 1:28 AM, Ather said:

After many trials it is now Evident that any Antidepressant at its lowest dose is making my ring (Tinnitus) loud and Benzodiazepine helps reducing it. 

When you go on and off psychiatric drugs or make dosage changes repeatedly, your nervous system becomes sensitized to drugs and even supplements and foods. Some event caused your nervous system to become sensitized to Zoloft and you developed tinnitus. You have had drug-induced tinnitus ever since.

It is unfortunate that your doctor has insisted on prescribing antidepressants even though they all exacerbate the tinnitus. It is also unfortunate that you are taking a benzo to counter the adverse effect of the antidepressant, as you are probably now physiologically dependent on the benzo.

As this is a site for going off drugs, what would you like to do regarding your drugs? What time of day do you take each drug, and their dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

38 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

@cloud23  I posted on your Introductions thread. Do not ignore the palpitations. Let's discuss your situation in your own topic.

@Ather please be careful about making recommendations to other members. While they will appreciate your support, keep in mind that they might follow your recommendations, which might be wrong for them and cause them harm.

When you go on and off psychiatric drugs or make dosage changes repeatedly, your nervous system becomes sensitized to drugs and even supplements and foods. Some event caused your nervous system to become sensitized to Zoloft and you developed tinnitus. You have had drug-induced tinnitus ever since.

It is unfortunate that your doctor has insisted on prescribing antidepressants even though they all exacerbate the tinnitus. It is also unfortunate that you are taking a benzo to counter the adverse effect of the antidepressant, as you are probably now physiologically dependent on the benzo.

As this is a site for going off drugs, what would you like to do regarding your drugs? What time of day do you take each drug, and their dosages?

@Altostrata  I won't be recommending from now on, my mistake !

I have been taking my antidepressant, Dosulepin called Prothiaden here at 12.5 mg now, originally it was 75 mg, in the morning, I was down one day so I upped the dosage to 25 mg and it was not good, for 2 days I took 0 mg and it was not good either, so my testing says that I'll need to keep it there for now at 12.5 mg (half a tablet of 25 mg) the recommended dosage of this drug is from 75 mg to 225 mg, it comes in 2 strengths here 25mg and 75mg.

I am taking 0.25 mg of Alprazolam, changed from Clonazipam a week ago, at night.

The tinnitus is better now, I hope it gets quieter and quieter as I keep on weaning off these medicines, Lets see !

I like this site, My words of encouragement maybe a bad recommendation for some but I know being a patient of panic myself that how words can uplift you, they make you stand up.

1995 to 1997: different antidepressants at maintenance dosages along with benzos 3 times a day.  

1998 to 2000: Citalopram 20mg + Benzo twice daily.

2001 to 2015: Sertraline 50 mg + Alprazolam (half of 0.25 mg once daily which is next to nothing)

2016 to 2017: Sertraline 50 mg + Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg (NO BENZO)

2017 to 2018: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 50 mg  (NO BENZO)

2018 (Earlier): Olanzapine (Zyprexa) 5 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg x 2 daily (7 weeks on Olanzapine was a disaster, antipsychotics are not for panic disorder)

2018 August : Sertraline 50 mg for 20 days (couldn't take it any longer) + Clonazepam.

2018 Sept. 1st week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg -- 2018 Sept. 2nd week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 12.5mg +Clonazepam 0.25 mg 

2018 November: Clonazepam 0.50 mg at night (for sleep disturbed by tinnitus)

2019 January to now: Clonazepam 0.25 mg at night and 0.25 mg in the morning.

Remember: Going out for a Walk or for a Change does help, it may take a few days or weeks or months for some, but it definitely helps.

Here is Knowledge for you: The more you Know about your sickness the more bad it is for you, so forget about it !

• Administrator

I appreciate your willingness to help others, just keep in mind what has worked for you might not work for them -- you might remind them of that.

Good to hear your tinnitus is lessening. Please be very regular with your drug dosing, your system might be very sensitive to drug changes. When your nervous system is sensitized, more is not better.

Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

This can help us figure out if a drug is causing the symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

22 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I appreciate your willingness to help others, just keep in mind what has worked for you might not work for them -- you might remind them of that.

Good to hear your tinnitus is lessening. Please be very regular with your drug dosing, your system might be very sensitive to drug changes. When your nervous system is sensitized, more is not better.

Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

This can help us figure out if a drug is causing the symptoms.

I agree with you sometimes I may have forgotten to remind them what works for me may not work for them.

Being regular on the doses is extremely important I have realized in the past few months.

I will be writing down any symptoms daily, I have been thinking about it, I was doing it on a monthly basis but monthly or weekly cannot give us a clear picture of which drug is doing what, I agree.

Thank you !

1995 to 1997: different antidepressants at maintenance dosages along with benzos 3 times a day.  

2001 to 2015: Sertraline 50 mg + Alprazolam (half of 0.25 mg once daily which is next to nothing)

2018 (Earlier): Olanzapine (Zyprexa) 5 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg x 2 daily (7 weeks on Olanzapine was a disaster, antipsychotics are not for panic disorder)

2018 August : Sertraline 50 mg for 20 days (couldn't take it any longer) + Clonazepam.

2018 Sept. 1st week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg -- 2018 Sept. 2nd week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 12.5mg +Clonazepam 0.25 mg 

Remember: Going out for a Walk or for a Change does help, it may take a few days or weeks or months for some, but it definitely helps.

Here is Knowledge for you: The more you Know about your sickness the more bad it is for you, so forget about it !

Hello @Altostrata

I was checking the effect of each (Antidepressant: Prothiaden and Benodiazepine: Alprazolam) on my tinnitus, separately, here is what I found out,

-when the day I just took the Antidepressant, the ring was intense.

-And the day I took the Benzo, the ring was slow at speed but loud, I could hear each cycle of it separately, one coming after the other, but it was loud so I was not able to rest.

(About my anxiety / panic I felt the best on the day I just took the benzo, I was not at all comfortable on the day I just took the Tricyclic what do you think is the best for me ?)

• Administrator

The benzo would be slowing nerve reactivity, that's the purpose of benzos, which were initially seizure drugs.

• 3 weeks later...

Update is that my small Antidepressant Prothiaden at 12.5 mg is gone now, All praise to Almighty, I was not able to take it, the last time I took it, it made me very very uneasy and anxious, its been 2 - 3 weeks now since I last took it, Ma-Shaa-Allah.

Tinnitus is there, Clonazepam makes it low and bearable, I sometimes take 0.25 mg and sometimes 0.5 mg at night.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 8:21 AM, ChessieCat said:

Please update your drug signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

I added the update on November, is there any other thing I need to update in the signature, kindly let me know :)

Tinnitus is a problem, during the daytime it is OK but when I start trying to fall asleep it becomes louder :D I know its my mind making me hear it more closely, what to do ? currently I am taking 0.5 mg of Clonazepam about 2 hours before going to bed, that is all I am taking.

Recently had some blood work done, the results are all in the normal range, thanks to Almighty, here are they:

Cholesterol : 177 mg/dl (should be inside 200 mg/dl)

Calcium:        9.6 mg/dl  (8.1 to 10.4 mg/dl is fine)

Magnesium:  2.0 mg/dl  (1.7 to 2.7 mg/dl is this lab's reference range)

Vitamin D3 :  41  ng/ml    (30 ng/ml to upto 100 ng/ml is fine) I take a shot of 200,000 IU Vitamin D3 every three months.

Vitamin B12: 275 pg/ml  (200 pg/ml to 800 pg/ml is this lab's reference range)

Hello folks how are you all doing ? I hope and I pray that you are all good and if not I pray you are fine, very soon, In Shaa Allah.

I am taking 0.5 mg of Clonazepam at night for sleep, from this coming night I'll be trying Melatonin supplement for the first time, cutting Clonazepam from 0.5 mg to 0.25 mg and introducing my system to Melatonin supplement, any idea of how much should I take on my first night?

Kindly note: I feel Clonazepam makes the ring (tinnitus) lower at first and makes me go to sleep but later the ring becomes louder only after a few hours.

Also I have always felt "in control" when I don't take the Benzo, better concentration too, so I guess Benzo is also going out, soon :)

Please break the silence say something, don't worry about any wrong or right, just throw any advise on me lol, its so silent here why, I aint no alien I belong to the same planet :D

Wanted to share some brief history of mine that I missed earlier:

1993 (16 year old): Started smoking Cigarettes.

1994 (17 year old): Developed symptoms of upset stomach, after having a liter of coca-cola every day along with 8 cigarettes, doctor started anti-ulcer medications.

1995 (18 year old): Was put on to Antidepressant and Anti-anxiety and soon after all the upset stomach symptoms vanished, gained good weight, became healthy and active (If I had the slightest idea where I was heading too I would have quit my Cigarettes and would never have taken any antidepressant, yes I was full of anxiety those days so maybe a low dose of light anti-anxiety for some days, that's it, healthy diet, staying away from my gut irritant like tea and coffee, spices would have been enough, would have taken magnesium too).

This has to be shared, someone might benefit.

Kindly note: I feel Clonazepam makes the ring (tinnitus) lower at first and makes me go to sleep but later the ring becomes louder only after a few hours.

Well friends this is not the case every time, last night the ring did not go up after a few hours of taking Clonazepam.

I think there are many factors involved like: what I ate, how much I ate, was I busy or not,  was I stressed, did I go for a walk, the gut was irritated or not.

I was taking B-complex syrup at children's dosage, I have quit that too, I'll start again, its only been around 2 months since I left the antidepressant.

Most of the days I don't take care of what I eat, I avoid fried food and fast food but how much can we avoid? taking too much care would only make us more stressed.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ather, 

Glad to hear you quit the B vitamins, they can be very activating when going through withdrawals. We are so sensitive to everything. You said you wanted to start it again. Be careful. 

Yes, too much stress and activity can ramp up our withdrawals as well. If you have a lot on make sure you get some down time and have a bit of a rest. 

I’m so sorry you have tinnitus, so many people going through withdrawals have it. I don’t have it myself but have had like half a minute of it here and there, it only stays for a short time. I know what it feels like and it must be hard having it all the time. 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Wishes for everyone !

Tinnitus Update:

It is very low when I am busy outside, I don't even take notice of it, but when I'm free it gets back, If I think about it: it becomes a monster, all this up and down in one single day !

Drug Update:

Clonazepam tapered down from 0.5 mg to 0.35 mg.

Tried Magnesium 125 mg for a few days: sleep disturbed, arrhythmia, appetite went down, made me kind of slow and depressed, I have Low BP so Magnesium is not for me I guess.

On 12/19/2018 at 3:27 PM, Carmie said:

Hi Ather, 

Glad to hear you quit the B vitamins, they can be very activating when going through withdrawals. We are so sensitive to everything. You said you wanted to start it again. Be careful. 

Yes, too much stress and activity can ramp up our withdrawals as well. If you have a lot on make sure you get some down time and have a bit of a rest. 

I’m so sorry you have tinnitus, so many people going through withdrawals have it. I don’t have it myself but have had like half a minute of it here and there, it only stays for a short time. I know what it feels like and it must be hard having it all the time. 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Thank you Carmie, You are always so supportive and Kind, God bless you !

• 3 weeks later...

Going through a seasonal flu as well ! Tinnitus, red eyes, a little panic lol man it makes me laugh at myself :)

I want to share a miraculous happening here but I feel a little shy, I was asking for a Sign and I got it, literally 1 in 10 million !

• 2 weeks later...

When the going gets tough

The tough gets going 

• 3 weeks later...

Bananas can do wonders, 

Ma-Sha-Allah !

I was not able to eat any Bananas due to my flu and then I forgot to buy any, I was taking them regularly before that, I have taken them today and I can tell you that anybody who is OK with bananas and has depression, should take it regularly, but please take with caution if you are diabetic.

On 1/15/2019 at 9:12 AM, Ather said:

Going through a seasonal flu as well ! Tinnitus, red eyes, a little panic lol man it makes me laugh at myself :)

I want to share a miraculous happening here but I feel a little shy, I was asking for a Sign and I got it, literally 1 in 10 million !

Great at see a positive attiutude. I have tinnitus from Zyprexa. Was horrible and a real torture for about 3-4 days and gradually went weaker. I was a problem worth talking about for at least 1 year after it appeared. Today I still have it but its nothing to write home about anymore since I rarely think about it. I have accepted it may be with me for life.  Hope you ge off your medicines. 

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

21 minutes ago, frasier23 said:

Great at see a positive attiutude. I have tinnitus from Zyprexa. Was horrible and a real torture for about 3-4 days and gradually went weaker. I was a problem worth talking about for at least 1 year after it appeared. Today I still have it but its nothing to write home about anymore since I rarely think about it. I have accepted it may be with me for life.  Hope you ge off your medicines. 

Thank you for your kind words and yes the Tinnitus gets better with time, we get used to it.

2019 Sad to see that Ive now been medicine free for almost 3 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) really did most part of destroying me. 

The very "thought" of something "destroyed" you is the only hurdle between you and your complete recovery, thoughts influence our health, take that thought out and through it into the gutter :)

6 hours ago, Ather said:

Thank you for your kind words and yes the Tinnitus gets better with time, we get used to it.

The very "thought" of something "destroyed" you is the only hurdle between you and your complete recovery, thoughts influence our health, take that thought out and through it into the gutter :)

Yeah I know I should rewrite that. So Im positive but at the same time I accepted that I will not fully recover (even though I try my best plus hope). But youre right. Using the word destroyed is very negative and its not true either.

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

On 2/9/2019 at 2:44 AM, frasier23 said:

Yeah I know I should rewrite that. So Im positive but at the same time I accepted that I will not fully recover (even though I try my best plus hope). But youre right. Using the word destroyed is very negative and its not true either.

You are saying this as if God forbid someone crushed a part of the body and now it cannot heal ! 

The process of healing in our bodies is amazing, now that only You let it heal by not thinking negative, try to focus somewhere else.

By the way it wasn't a damage, it was your fearful thought only, lets start thinking this way, ok ? Lets take those negative thoughts out of our head, me and you together :)

• Administrator

A positive attitude is always better for healing.

@frasier23, you have seen gradual improvement already. Why would you not expect continued gradual improvement? You already have evidence of healing.

On 2/10/2019 at 8:53 PM, Altostrata said:

A positive attitude is always better for healing.

@frasier23, you have seen gradual improvement already. Why would you not expect continued gradual improvement? You already have evidence of healing.

Sure but Im 2.5y into this game. Ive accepted a lot things of present life to be able to cope with future. This has been a must for me since I dont want to wake up in 10y and be dissapointed. It has also taken away The acute stress I had about expectations back in the days. For me this is my ultimate way of coping and I believe its better for me. Sure its negative from The outside but for me its not negative. Its more of a neutral-positive for me. This doesnt mean I dont believe in healing or having hopes. Ive got plenty of hope. But Im also realistic about future thats very important for me as well. 

• Administrator

I can promise you that if you believe you will never fully recover, even if you should fully recover, you will find something that's not the way it should be. At the very least, you'll be older and experiencing that.

It's good to be realistic about your limitations now, but not brood on them. Practice self-care and gently stretch your mind and body to help them get stronger.

• 4 weeks later...

To all the people who have Tinnitus, I just want you to know that it gets better with time, it takes joy out of life in the beginning but then you get used to it, so no need to worry about whats going to happen in the future, believe me you will get better and this is coming from a guy who is a patient of panic disorder :)

To those who are facing Tinnitus after a prolonged use of psychiatric drugs, I have tried a few things like:

Magnesium for a few days, Zinc for some days, B Complex every now and then, from my experience I can say that these minerals and vitamins are helpful in other functions of the body but they are not very helpful to Tinnitus in fact if you take them in high doses you can feel a rise in your Tinnitus, take vitamins in low strength if you need them and you'll be fine, I take Calcium with Vitamin D regularly (for my bone health) and it is harmless.

If you are like me you will notice that there are days when the ring is high and then there are days when it is low, when the ring is high I listen to masking noise available on youtube, there are different Sound Therapies on youtube. Look for the one that masks your ring / buzz .

This is the one that masks mine, look for the one that works for you, there are many and one of them will definitely work for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKo4jYDO9FQ

Here are a few things that make life easy:

-Staying Busy

-Not thinking about it (it can be difficult in the beginning but later you'll learn)

-Not reading / researching about it

-Talking to a Psychologist / Psychiatrist.

• 3 weeks later...

@Altostrata

I have a question here, this is very Important:

In 2015 I quit my medicine an SSRI Zoloft 50 mg cold turkey, 2 months on I felt into the severest of possible withdrawal, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, even drinking water was making me hypersensitive, I was walking 3 - 4 hours a day as I could not lay down on my bed.

I was buying bottled water and then boiling it before drinking because I was reacting badly to ordinary bottled water.

I was put back on to my SSRI and it was very bad for the first few weeks, my body remained cold all day long, I couldn't sleep, couldn't even swallow water.

Then within 2 to 3 months after I was reinstated back to my original medicine, slowly and gradually all that "Sensitivity" or "Hypersensitivity" went away.

I want to learn here that is it possible that the "Sensitivities" or "Hypersensitivities" Leave ? Because in my case they did.

I hope I don't get a Ticket for asking this very important question :)

Your's: Ather