SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

WantoffVen: venlafaxine

WantoffVen

Moderator note: link to benzo forum thread - WantoffVen: Please help with Diazepam dosage

I just found this site today. I am interested in anyone who has successfully weaned off Venlafaxine. I am current down to 111.50 from 300 mg. It hasn't been bad until 111.50 and now I'm feeling anxious, irritable, tired, grouchy. I just want hope this can be achieved. Thank your for your input and nice to find a group who understands.

Edited by Shep
added link to benzo forum thread

Early 1980s 2 mg. vallium prn; Mid-1990s Paxil and 2mg. vallium prn; Somewhere in there Buspar

Early 2000s Sertaline 50 mg. and .25mg Xanax prn 

2008 Sertaline 50 mg but Xanax was increased to .5mg 6 times a day 

2015 Sertaline increased to 100mg. 2 mg. vallium prn and Wellburtrin (only on a few days)

April 2016 Venlafaxine XR 225mg with 50 mg. Zolft  and 10 mg. Vallium 3 times a day as needed

Fall 2017 Venlafaxine upped to 300 mg - 5 mg. Vallium 3 times a day prn; Jan. 2018 Venlafaxine 225mg w/Vallium

April 2018 weaned  to 187.50mg, 150mg, 112.5 mg at 4 to 5 week intervals vallium 3 times a day prn

July 2018 112.5 mg ; July 2018 started SA's 10% guideline w/ 2.5 vallium prn; lost notes  dropped to 89 mg by 10/22; 89 mg 10/29; 10/6 86 mg, 10/13 83 mg; 10/20 - 11/2 updosed to 89mg; 11/3 86 mg; 11/17 80 mg. 11/24 77mg - 12/20 80mg 1/ 20 77 mg venlafaxine; 2/19 75 mg Ven  still taking vallium 2.5 mg morning, after and evening

Simvastatin 40mg. daily with supplements: Magnesium, Omega Fatty Oils, Vitamin D3, Turmeric, Magnesium, 25 mg. to 50 mg. diphendramine for sleep

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WantoffVen

• Shep

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, WantoffVen, nd welcome to SA.

Thanks for doing your signature.  Could you add dates, doses and rate of your Ven taper, as well as the type of Effexor you are on, Effexor XR?  For example,

DATE dropped from 225mg to Xmg, dropping by X% every (RATE)

DATE dropped from Xmg to Ymg, etc.

Also, please indicate if you are still on Zoloft and Valium and the dosages.  
Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.

To help you understand the symptoms you are experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.  The symptoms you are experiencing may be due to tapering too fast.  We''ll be able to tell more once you've inserted your tapering information in your signature.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

"

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to WantoffVen: venlafaxine

Hi, I am on Effexor XR. I got up to 300 mg and didn't like the effect so I tapered to 225mg in October 2017. I was on 300 mg. 3 months. Since October 217 I have tapered at 4 weeks intervals 37.5mg at a time to 118.50. I also have 5mg diazapem as needed. I was doing really well until this stepdown to 118.50 and now I'm feeling some anxiety, nausea and dizziness. I don't think I'm really doing that badly but my mind keeps thinking I'm not doing well. Should I stay on 118.50 for now and not given in to wanting to increase. I think I'm just scared I can't do this. I see my psychiatrist next week and he will tell me to go back up. He told me I would never be able to taper off. But people have haven't they? Also I'm 65 years old if that matters. Thank you.

Early 1980s 2 mg. vallium prn; Mid-1990s Paxil and 2mg. vallium prn; Somewhere in there Buspar

2015 Sertaline increased to 100mg. 2 mg. vallium prn and Wellburtrin (only on a few days)

April 2016 Venlafaxine XR 225mg with 50 mg. Zolft  and 10 mg. Vallium 3 times a day as needed

Fall 2017 Venlafaxine upped to 300 mg - 5 mg. Vallium 3 times a day prn; Jan. 2018 Venlafaxine 225mg w/Vallium

April 2018 weaned  to 187.50mg, 150mg, 112.5 mg at 4 to 5 week intervals vallium 3 times a day prn

July 2018 112.5 mg ; July 2018 started SA's 10% guideline w/ 2.5 vallium prn; lost notes  dropped to 89 mg by 10/22; 89 mg 10/29; 10/6 86 mg, 10/13 83 mg; 10/20 - 11/2 updosed to 89mg; 11/3 86 mg; 11/17 80 mg. 11/24 77mg - 12/20 80mg 1/ 20 77 mg venlafaxine; 2/19 75 mg Ven  still taking vallium 2.5 mg morning, after and evening

Simvastatin 40mg. daily with supplements: Magnesium, Omega Fatty Oils, Vitamin D3, Turmeric, Magnesium, 25 mg. to 50 mg. diphendramine for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

You tapered the Ven much faster than the 10% per four weeks we recommend and it is possible the symptoms have caught up with you.  Sometimes WD symptoms are delayed.  

You have two choices at this point.  You can reinstate a SMALL amount of Ven (perhaps 8 beads in addition to your 118.50 and see if that helps your symptoms.  You are still within the time period where reinstatement generally works.  Or you can hold where you are and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis. Then you can resume your taper but at much slower rate.   Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better.  Some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  The fact that you did well on the previous cuts is is encouraging.

Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic.  

The one thing I would strongly advise against is reinstating back anywhere near your 225mg dose.  In the time you've been tapering your brain has made adjustments to the lower doses. 

If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.  Your doctor will know nothing about this.

You can get off Effexor.  Many others have.  Please Google "Surviving Antidepressants Effexor Success Stories."

Many members on this site who are tapering are a quite a  bit older than you.  

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

1Hi Wantoffven,  I was on venlafaxine for 12 years and tapered for 3 years. I tapered off in a year but that was too fast and reinstated a small dose then took a further 7 months before I could restart the taper, then another 18 months to taper off, total was 3 years. I felt better as the dose lowered, side effects are usually dose related. I am in my 60s too and my doctor also tiold me I would need it for life!  

How long have you been at 118.5?  It is not clear whether you started to taper in April or if you have been on 118.5 since April. 

How often do you take the valium? This is very important because it could be adding to the symptoms and need regular dosing.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you for your input, MammaP. In April I was on 225 MG Venlafaxine XR and I tapered to 187.50 and felt no side effects whatsoever so then went to 150MG. At 150 I felt some nausea, a little more tired and some very mild depression hit and miss. So I stayed there for five weeks at which time I was feeling quite good and tapered to 118.50 which has only been 1 1/2 weeks now. I always take 5 mg of the Diazepam (generic Vallium) within an hour of getting up and then as needed the rest of the day. I normally break the tablets in two so the dosage is actually .25mg then and take 2 or 3 throughout the day. My prescription is for up to 3 5mg; a day but I almost never feel the need for that much so I've always held back unless necessary. I think my psychiatrist would rather I cut back on the Diazepam and not worry about the Venlafaxine. I see my psychiatrist next week and he won't be encouraging about this wean. He'll probably say "why suffer go back up on your Venlafaxine." Honestly I'm not suffering. After reading some of these blogs I think I'm probably doing pretty well but I am starting to fear what might come. So I plan to stay on 118.50 for a while now and hope and pray I don't need to go back up. I have a lot of stuff going on right now, but that is usually the case so I can't use it as an excuse. What do you think I should do with the Diazepam that might help? Thank you for replying.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the info,  you should not taper any further until you are more stable, it has been very fast as Gridley said, and your brain need time to catch up. For years your brain has had to adapt to the drugs, it needs time to adjust between drops to avoid withdrawal and an unstable nervous system.  Some people are able to make larger cuts at the beginning of a taper, especially at the high doses, but need to slow down later which is what you need to do now. We need a symptom pattern if you can post one for us. From when you get up in the morning, how you are feeling and at various times through the day, include when you take your doses. This tells us more than you could ever imagine! 

Your doctor has like;y never seen anyone get off venlafaxine, if they have tried they would have had to go back on with their ridiculously fast taper schedules. None of my doctors have ever seen anyone get off and stay off venlafaxine and they are all amazed when I tell them how I did it. My psychiatrist said I would need it for life and I sacked them years ago so can't even tell them!  

The valium needs to be taken regularly to keep the blood levels steady. Your brain has adjusted to this also and I suspect that you may be having interdose withdrawal. Taking it regularly will even out the levels, it doesn't necessarily mean taking more, just spaced regularly. I have asked Shep, our benzo mod to take a look.  It would help her if you could post in the benzo forum, which is specific for benzo advice, but this is your main topic to update on any other drugs and supplements. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/3138-bts-benzo-forum/?page=11

You might find that fish oil and magnesium help your symptoms. They are the only supplements that we universally recommend to everyone. I have to dash off to take my grandsons to school now so can't do the links but you can find them in the symptoms and self care section. 

Edited by mammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, WantoffVen said:

I always take 5 mg of the Diazepam (generic Vallium) within an hour of getting up and then as needed the rest of the day. I normally break the tablets in two so the dosage is actually .25mg then and take 2 or 3 throughout the day. My prescription is for up to 3 5mg; a day but I almost never feel the need for that much so I've always held back unless necessary.

5 hours ago, WantoffVen said:

What do you think I should do with the Diazepam that might help?

Hi, Wantoff. 

As MammaP just wrote, you likely are getting symptoms from the varying times and doses you are taking Valium. Once you start a new thread for yourself in the Benzo Forum, we can work on setting you up a proper schedule so that you have a consistent dose of Valium in your system. 

Valium has a very long half life of up to 200 hours, however, the peak plasma level occurs between 30 and 90 minutes, so you may be reacting to this in addition to experiencing the windows and waves withdrawal from your antidepressant withdrawal. 

Once you start your new benzo thread, please make a drug and symptoms journal. This is the format to use:

Drug and symptoms journal

Please also include any supplements and OTC (over the counter) drugs you are taking and also, how many hours of sleep you get each night. 

As you post your journal over the coming days, we can help you set up a schedule to make you more comfortable. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Wantoff, please note there's an interaction between Valium and Venlafaxine:

Drug Interaction Checker - Venlafaxine and Valium

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

diazepam  venlafaxine

Applies to: Valium (diazepam), venlafaxine

Using diazePAM together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Well, I want to thank everyone for replying. After reading a lot on this site I realized I'm actually doing fantastic. I believe I panicked at small symptoms at best. I will space out my Diazepam now and stay on 118.50 for at least a couple more months. As suggested I will then slowly remove beads from my 37.5MG pill until I get to 75MG. Stay there awhile and slowly remove beads. Reading about what happens to many people months after they've quit is kind of concerning but it's that kind of thinking that brings on my anxiety to begin with so I instead of one day at a time my mantra will be a few beads at a time lol. And never discount the power of prayer. Our Lord does not want us in this mess. It doesn't mean we will necessarily mean we'll be delivered quickly but we will be able to endure and hopefully kill no one along the way.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear that you are going to go slowly now and space the diazepam. It is important that the doses ar regular, at the same times every day. Let us know how you get on.

2002  effexor. 

I am feeling overwhelmed about going to the Benzo site and trying to set up schedule for my Diazepam and journal things. That's probably because my brain is foggy. This seems like a lot of work and I am running from that I think. At the age of 65 is it even worth it to keep going?

I am going to psyche in about an hour. I'll smile and tell him I'm doing fine and I'm at 118.50 so he will refill Rx. He might question how far I tapered but I just got to 118.50 a couple weeks ago. Most likely as long as I say I'm doing fine I'll be in and out in less than 5 minutes. What a racket. I have a question how do I taper 10% from 118.50. Which strength capsule should I take beads out of. My thinking is the 37.5 reduce by about 1/3 over several weeks per reduction?

• Moderator Emeritus

How did you get on with the psych? Hope he wasn't critical of you tapering.

Best hold your doses a while longer, then when you start to taper again count the beads in the 37.5 capsule. Its a bit fiddly but unfortunately has to be done. You can then work out how many to take out. 

On 7/14/2018 at 9:14 PM, WantoffVen said:

At the age of 65 is it even worth it to keep going?

Absolutely! I was sixty and housebound, spent most of my time in bed with side effects  when I started tapering 6 years ago. Now I am out and about and have just painted a dresser!! :D 

2002  effexor. 

He was fine about it but immediately he said in 3 weeks drop down another 37.5mg. Fortunately he refilled my 37.5 mg capsules  and 75 mg. capsules for 3 months but I didn't mention taking beads out or he would have thought I was crazy I know. I don't think I should try to drop another 37.5, though so if I do this as slow as I should I'll have to tell him in 3 months I couldn't do 75 mg. and am still on 117.5.  I have asked this question in several places, MammaP. Can I just swallow beads or do they have to be put in applesauce or another capsule.? Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

You can just swallow the beads, or put them in something, I used yoghurt for a while. but mostly just swallowed the beads. You can tell him you want to stay at that dose.  How are you feeling now? Have you managed to spread your valium doses equally? This is important because you would be getting some interdose withdrawal. 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed white space below post

2002  effexor. 

I'm going okay except I'm feeling weepy and slightly depressed. It helps to cry and it does pass so I am staying on 112.5 for now. I hope this come and go sadness passes, but I am glad no brain zaps so far anyway and I can get out of bed and push myself to do things. Tell me I'm gonna be okay, Momma.

• Moderator Emeritus

You will be fine, it is normal to be emotional and is actually a good thing.  There will be windows and waves  but you will get through them. Have you dropped to 112.5 now or is that a mistake? 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

Edited by mammaP
removed failed image url

2002  effexor. 

I went from 150 mg. to 112.5mg as I indicated before and I never went back up not even a little and I can definitely tell I'm tolerating this dose much better now. Now when I'm ready I'm little confused as to what to do to drop 10% as a capsule is 37.5mg and I should be dropping 11 or 12%. So I figured 1/3 of 37.5 is like 12.5 or 13%. That should be close enough I would think. Now I'm not sure if I'm going to count beads or just eyeball 1/3. My psychiatrist told me a little over a week ago in 3 weeks to drop 37.5mg but I am NOT doing that. I'm supposed to see him again in mid October and I don't plan on being down to 75mg by that visit so I talked to my GP this week and I may have him take over helping me wean because he seemed open to what I am going to be trying to do and my psychiatrist isn't. I had my first cataract surgery on Friday and then in two weeks the other eye. This is kind of a stressful time and I'm not gonna step down on Ven while I'm messing with my eyes unless I start feeling fine on 112.5 but I can tell I'm tolerating much better. I'm already thinking how do you wean when you get to the 75mg capsule. That's me I think too far ahead. I would rather get 2 37.5mg capsules but insurance might want to pay for 75g and not 2 at 37.5 because it could be more expensive but I am getting ahead of myself. Thanks for checking in.

In regard to counting beads in a Venlafaxine XR capsule to be able to reduce by 10%. I counted the number of beads in a 150MG XR capsule I had and there were 150 beads. Likewise when I counted the number of beads in a 37.5MG capsule there were 37. If this is the case then each bead equals 1 mg. If this is the case then counting out beads to come to 10% should be very easy but nowhere have I read that the number of beads equals the milligrams of the dosage. Could this just be the particular manufacturer I am getting mine from? But I am currently taking 112.5 MG so in order to taper by 10% I just need to remove 12 beads from my 37.5 mg capsule. That would then have me at 100mg so I take out 10 beads. Although with 37.5mg I really don't see taking out 12 each time and then I would be at my 75mg. capsule and have to work down from there. Am I making any sense? Am I getting this right.

• Moderator Emeritus

Figures are not my strong point but I see what you are thinking.  Sticking with the 37.5 capsule for now. 

cut 1  -12 = 100

cut 2  -10=     90

cut 3   -9  =     81

You could then just take the remaining 6 to get to 75 and the one capsule. I would take that chance to hold for a  while and skip a reduction. . A long hold now and again lets your brain catch up. 

Counting beads means you have to round down the number, so when you need to reduce 7.5mg, round it down to 7 and not up to 8. 

2002  effexor. 

I counted the beads in a 150mg capsule and there were 150 and 75 in a 75mg capsule and 37 or 38 in 37.5 so that is awesome. Other sites and places I've read the number of beads don't correlate to the milligrams at all. I have cataract surgery this Friday on my second eye.  You should see what it's like coordinating all those danged eyedrops and my husband will be retiring in a few months and he wants to move but we don't know where. In the meantime he's working a lot. I haven't seen my grandchildren at all this summer. They are older now and don't need me. I say all this to indicate some of my stress and loneliness so even though I still feel like crying sometimes, I think I am doing well. A week after my eye surgery I plan on a 10% wean because it will have been 7 weeks on 118.5. So that will be 106.65 so I will remove 12 beads. This was my check in.

Hi Grandma,

I am in similar position to you - maybe slightly further on, and having fallen over the edge.

Weaned from 225mg to 56.25mg Venlafaxine XR over 2-year period ending in May this year.

Unfortunately, despite tapering cautiously at 5-10% rate as advised on SA, I hit a "relapse"/"severe withdrawal", depending on what school of thought you belong to.

I am at 87.5mg  just now after having to updose to 62.5 then 75.0 during this June and July.

Do be very cautious and listen to your body and mind.  I am in a bad place again - worst for a couple of years, perhaps, and have had to think what is most likely best for me.

See my own thread for more, if you care to visit.  I am on waiting list for a cataract removal.  I am 73.

Best wishes. 

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Okay I take Venlafaxine XR and am currently holding 118.5. Have been here for four weeks and don't feel ready to taper more yet. But  I counted beads in 150MG capsule and there were 150 and in 75MG capsule there were 75 and in 37.5 there were 38. So It seems to me each bead regardless from which strength capsule I take it from is the same. Plus it should make calculating reductions and counting beads pretty easy. Am I missing something here?

Okay could someone please calculate a 10% taper for me. I am currently on 118.50MG of Venlafaxine XR. I tried starting with 118,.5 and times it by 90 and did the same with every ensuring number and I came up with reductions of 77 times. That can't be possible . My Venlafaxine beads correlate the milligrams I'm taking so a 75MG dose has 75 beads in it. I'm just throwing that in there because it will be easy to count beads. Am I missing something? Please anyone?

Correction to above times .90

• Moderator Emeritus

Tapering Calculator - Online

You are right to multiply the current dose by 0.90.  This gives the new dose for the next reduction.  There will be times when the calculated amount will not be a whole number.  When this happens you will need to round up, not down.  118.5 x 0.90 = 106.65.  You would round this up to 107.  Your next reduction needs to be calculated on the rounded up number.  In this example, 107 x 0.90 = 96.3 (round up to 97) and so on.

As far as how long it is going to take.  It will take as long as it takes.  It is better to go slowly and keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.  It is also helpful to look at how much you have already reduced by instead of how much you still need to get off.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Yes I have come down a lot but I did it 37.5mg at a time. 77 times 6 weeks equals years. I don't know if you are going by six weeks per change.  I guess I don't know what you do when it's like just an example 10.9, 10.6, 10.3, and 10. You can't drop that minisculely. If each bead equals 1 mg a bead is as small as it gets so I'm thinking start 1 bead  a day which is 118 days longer or every other day take out an additional bead which would then be 236 days. Mommap commented since I had no withdrawal symptoms my first two drops and they were are large as they were that is a good sign and now I just get a little weepy everyday same time and it passes And that's only if I'm home alone. If I'm out and about I don't notice it at all. I'll never get the psychiatrist I have been seeing to go along with this so I'm going to work with my GP who probably doesn't really understand it but I think he'll be okay with it because all I'm doing is weaning and I don't think he'll care how slowly. Thanks for answering me.

• Administrator
On 8/6/2018 at 12:51 PM, WantoffVen said:

Okay I take Venlafaxine XR and am currently holding 118.5. Have been here for four weeks and don't feel ready to taper more yet. But  I counted beads in 150MG capsule and there were 150 and in 75MG capsule there were 75 and in 37.5 there were 38. So It seems to me each bead regardless from which strength capsule I take it from is the same. Plus it should make calculating reductions and counting beads pretty easy. Am I missing something here?

Hi, WantoffVen. That is an unusual count for those capsules. If I were you, I'd be sure to stick with one maker and one size capsule throughout your taper. These things have a way of changing from maker to maker and capsule to capsule.

Taking out one bead (roughly a milligram of drug) per day or 30 beads per month is not sufficiently gradual. Our guideline is 10% per month based on your last dosage. If you're taking 118.5mg venlafaxine, your allotment for this month is an 11mg reduction. Next month, it will be about 10mg. (Since your beads are about 1mg and you're not going to split them, round down to the lesser reduction.)

Good idea to work with your GP if the psychiatrist won't cooperate.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Somewhere when I was reading through the Effexor posts on this site I believe - maybe elsewhere - someone else posted their number of beads correlated to the mgs. I hope it stays that way. I figured my first month out already at 2.5% per week per BrassMonkey's slide method. But then I read where someone else said 10% might be better so if you feel withdrawal symptoms you know what dose to go back up to. I originally went from 300 to 225 to 150 to 118.5 and didn't feel any withdrawal symptoms until 118.5 and then I just rode them out. I don't know if I'm gonna be lucky or not. So far so good. I don't think my GP is super knowledgeable but I already told him a little bit about what I want to do and he said as long as I am weaning and doing okay it's fine with him. My psychiatrist would say something real smart alecky to me I know. He doesn't know yet he's not gonna to see me again.

• 1 month later...

I wish I knew what normal withdrawal is versus too much. I think I'm doing really well but I have stayed on current dose for two weeks now because I am a little bit weepy and uncomfortable. How much should I suck up and when should I slow down? I fear I am being a big baby about any symptoms at all. Anyone have any kind of explanation that might help?

• Moderator Emeritus

There is no such thing as a "normal" withdrawal.  Some members have reported only mild withdrawal symptoms using the 10% approach or Brassmonkey slide.  Others, and this is more common, have symptoms with every drop.  It is a matter of what is tolerable to you.  I certainly have WD symptoms.  I recall Brassmonkey writing that he experienced just about every WD symptom on the Glenmullen chart during his multi-year taper.  For me, and this is just me, the standard is not to aim for no WD symptoms but rather tolerable symptoms.  If symptoms get outside the range of tolerable, I hold for an extra week or two or more.  

The Brassmonkey slide was designed to lessen WD symptoms as compared with the 10% method , but you have to decide which works better for you.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus

BrassMonkey's description of withdrawal normal:

On 8/24/2016 at 3:49 AM, brassmonkey said:

I posted this to DesertChild yesterday where I talk about poopout, stabilization and WDnormal.  I gives a bit of my background.

"You call it withdrawal normal, as said above when you have reached a base-line which is as good as it gets for you. Now I guess, I can start to think about that. "

As good as it gets for that moment.  WDnormal is a sliding scale of reference for tracking overall improvements in ones condition. As you're learning this is a very slow process and at first changes in WDnormal are very small and slow in coming. As time passes and ones body heals those changes become more pronounced and more frequent. But it can be frustratingly slow at first.

I'll bore you with a bit of my history so you can see how I came up with the idea of WDnrmal.  Many people find the time frames upsetting but I truly advocate going very slowly.   I'm one of the "lucky ones" in that I have only been on one drug, all be it for 23 years now, which makes things a lot easier to sort out. I originally started on Paxil for Spontaneous Outbursts of Violent Anger and it really helped.  In reality I should have been through counseling instead of being drugged, but that's an irrelevant part of the story.  After many years on the drug it wasn't working as well so I updosed.  That helped sorta but a few years later I needed to updose again.  That helped for a few months, then I started down hill.  It took a number of years and becoming totally messed up to figure out I was in severe tolerance, or what we lovingly call "poopout".

Just making the decision to do something about it was a terrifying experience but after 18 years of being drugged, my marriage on the rocks and about to lose everything (probably even my life) I decided to do something about it.     Again I was lucky and found a site called PaxilProgress before I made any changes. That started the entire process.  I liked the idea of the 10% taper, but made a couple of modifications to make it gentler, and started with that.

Nothing happened. I felt as bad as I had been.  Six weeks passed and I did my second drop. Nothing happened, except maybe I felt a bit worse.  This pattern kept up for about 18 months.  When one day it hit me, "I hadn't felt as c***** for the past several weeks".  It took another six months before I again noticed that things had improved.  During this whole time all I could do was move doggedly forward making the best of it and learning to put up with and work around the symptoms.  I really had no other choice.

A little after two years I had my first widow.  It lasted about fifteen minutes, and it wasn't until several hours later I realized it had happened.  That was the point that it sunk in that the process really did work.  Except for that window the rest of the time was heavy brain fog, DR, no short term memory, dizziness, all the symptoms we know and loath.  Another window opened briefly a few months later, and I noticed that I wasn't as "out of it" all the time and that I was gaining a little control over the symptoms by Acknowledging them, Accepting them and letting them Float off as I went about my life.

Finally after three years of tapering I felt like I was making progress. I could see that I was improved from where I had started even though I knew I was by no means better.  I also could see that I was doing better that I was just six months before.  I realized that my "base line of feeling like c***" was improving or how my WD symptoms normally felt was improving.  Hence WDnormal.

These last two years, it will be a total of five this fall, have brought fairly steady improvement.  I can see improvements on a month over month and sometimes week over week basis.  To the point that many people would say I'm back to normal by the way I function.  I know I'm not because I am still taking the drug and will be for the next several months. During my time on and tapering off of paxil I have learned a huge amount about myself, life and how to deal with things.  

I feel like I'm rambling now, but I hope this helps explain some of the process and you don't find it too disheartening because of the time frames involved.

You might find this helpful:

rhis-start-small-listen-to-your-body-taper-plan

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

And this has more of BrassMonkey's wisdom:

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Hi WantOffVen,

I found that dropping off Effexor at higher levels didn't induce to much discomfort. I did find however that at the lower levels < 75mg drops are much more noticeable. At the low levels under 37.5mg drops can be very uncomfortable.

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

Effexor XR 75mg 2006 - 2016 (Discontinued Feb 2016) - Withdrawal for 6 months.

Effexor XR 75mg Re-instated June 2017 (Discontinued Dec 2017)

Effexor XR 2-3 mg Re-instated March 10 2018 - 1 day (Didn't work)

Effexor XR 2mg Reinstated (Again) May 11 2018. 6 Beads

July 2018 - 0.0mg of Effexor. Zilch

• Moderator Emeritus

The graphs in this topic might help to explain the reason for this:

Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves