Altostrata

Zabegalov, 2018 Understanding antidepressant discontinuation syndrome (ADS) through preclinical experimental models.

Altostrata

Eur J Pharmacol. 2018 Jun 15;829:129-140. doi: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2018.04.003. Epub 2018 Apr 5.

Understanding antidepressant discontinuation syndrome (ADS) through preclinical experimental models.

Zabegalov KN1, Kolesnikova TO1, Khatsko SL1, Volgin AD2, Yakovlev OA2, Amstislavskaya TG3, Alekseeva PA4, Meshalkina DA5, Friend AJ6, Bao W7, Demin KA5, Gainetdinov RR2, Kalueff AV8.

Abstract at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29627310 Full text requested.

Antidepressant drugs are currently one of the most prescribed medications. In addition to treatment resistance and side effects of antidepressants, their clinical use is further complicated by antidepressant discontinuation syndrome (ADS). ADS is a common problem in patients following the interruption, dose reduction, or discontinuation of antidepressant drugs. Clinically, ADS resembles a classical drug withdrawal syndrome, albeit differing from it because antidepressants generally do not induce addiction. The growing clinical importance and prevalence of ADS necessitate novel experimental (animal) models of this disorder. Currently available preclinical models of ADS are mainly rodent-based, and study mostly serotonergic antidepressants and their combinations. Here, we systematically assess clinical ADS symptoms and discuss current trends and challenges in the field of experimental (animal) models of ADS. We also outline basic mechanisms underlying ADS pathobiology, evaluate its genetic, pharmacological and environmental determinants, and emphasize how using animal models may help generate important translational insights into human ADS condition, its prevention and therapy.

btdt
On 7/12/2018 at 4:46 PM, Altostrata said:

We also outline basic mechanisms underlying ADS pathobiology, evaluate its genetic, pharmacological and environmental determinants, and emphasize how using animal models may help generate important translational insights into human ADS condition, its prevention and therapy.

I am interested in ADS in people or animals that have genetic variances in the P 450 as I have.  I suspect there will be a connection between the two. I suspect there will be some with long term health issues at the end of all these studies it will be proven.  Since research is so very slow most of us may not live long enough to see the outcome.