☼ Mhsh: stopped antipsychotic Invega Sustenna cold turkey and would like to recover ASAP

Mhsh

Hey everyone, so I decided I'm not going to take my monthly antipsychotic injections anymore. I had it with the side effects and my psychiatrist wasn't supportive to taper me off slowly (he thought I should be on them forever). I know it's not the best decision considering the risks, but I have faith in God and my capability to overcome any side effects. I'm thankful that I didn't face any major withdrawal effects so far (except for whole body soreness for a day or two which was acceptable) and I hope it continues that way. It's almost 2 months from my last injection and the half-life of Invega Sustenna is 25 - 49 days so I definitely crossed it. I don't know if it helped, but I am taking Ratfish liver oil 15 drops twice daily. Now, I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to start taking a natural dopamine/serotonin reuptake inhibitor (Catuaba) to down-regulate my already up-regulated dopamine/serotonin receptors. The reason I suspect they up-regulated is because the Invega I was taking acts as an antagonist at both dopamine and serotonin receptors. I would like to start healing my brain to return to my former intellectual/cognitive state before starting the medication (I suspect I was misdiagnosed with Bipolar to begin with). The extra dopamine could possibly help with the motivation/focus issues as well. Do you think I'd be overloading my brain at this stage? Would the Catuaba cause me to go manic? Any thoughts are welcome (including how to overcome/bounce back/heal after stopping antipsychotics)...

- January 2016: Started on Risperidone 2mg once daily.

- March 2016: Started on Escitalopram (Cipralex) 10 mg as I stopped the Risperidone on my own.

- July 1st 2016: Was started on Zyprexa Velotab, 10 mg and Risperdal Consta injection 37.5 mg every two weeks.

- Slowly tapered with the help of Psychiatrist and by January 2017 stopped all medications.

- August 1st 2017 started Depakine 1000 mg (2 pills daily), Seroquel 600 mg (2 pills daily).

- Mid August 2017 started Invega Sustenna (paliperidone palmitate) injection 150 mg.

- Mid September 2017 reduced injection dose to 100 mg.

- From October to December 2017 tapered Depakine and Seroquel on my own till I stopped.

- February 15th 2018 reduced injection dose to 75 mg.

- May 15th 2018 was my last injection (75 mg) as I stopped it on my own.

• ChessieCat changed the title to mhsh: Stopped antipsychotic (Invega Sustenna) cold turkey and would like to recover ASAP
  • Administrator

Welcome, Mhsh.

Invega Sustenna injections wear off on their own, you could say that is a tapering process. Nevertheless, sometimes people still experience withdrawal symptoms. Do you have any odd symptoms now that you're off the drug? What is your daily symptom pattern? How severe is it?

I would not take any dopamine/serotonin reuptake inhibitor, natural or otherwise. You cannot force your receptors to upregulate, they have to repair themselves on their own.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

PS I changed your screen name to upper and lower case, we do not permit all-caps screen names. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Mhsh: Stopped antipsychotic (Invega Sustenna) cold turkey and would like to recover ASAP

Thank you for the advice Altostrata. I am not having any symptoms so far. Even my sleeping pattern which significantly changed to sleeping 12 hours daily after starting the Invega injections, prevails. I am taking ratfish liver oil daily which I believe is a good source of Fish oil. I might consider taking Magnesium if I get hypomanic or experience racing thoughts. How about Mucuna Pruriens which could boost my dopamine production and help with the lack of focus/motivation?

- March 2016: Started on Escitalopram (Cipralex) 10 mg as I stopped the Risperidone on my own.

- July 1st 2016: Was started on Zyprexa Velotab, 10 mg and Risperdal Consta injection 37.5 mg every two weeks.

- Slowly tapered with the help of Psychiatrist and by January 2017 stopped all medications.

- August 1st 2017 started Depakine 1000 mg (2 pills daily), Seroquel 600 mg (2 pills daily).

- Mid August 2017 started Invega Sustenna (paliperidone palmitate) injection 150 mg.

- From October to December 2017 tapered Depakine and Seroquel on my own till I stopped.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MHSH, I am glad to see that you are not having any symptoms. It is good that you are taking the fish oil. Magnesium is great and many of us here take it regularly, it is best taken daily rather than occasionally. Start at a low dose and increase gradually. You know when you have reached the right level for you because you get diarrhoea  with too much. Everyone is different and some need more than others. I used to take 5 capsules a day, but have now reduced to 2 by listening to my gut. As time has gone by I need less of it as my diet and withdrawal changed. We don't recommend any other supplements, most of them just make expensive pee and even supplements can have side effects. If you do try it, start very low. I would not recommend it as it messes with brain chemistry and could create more problems than it solves. You are doing just great, I wouldn't rock the boat! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you for the great information mammaP. I will look into Magnesium. Do you mind sharing what you feel it has helped you with? I feel your following statement refers to the Catuaba? "I would not recommend it as it messes with brain chemistry and could create more problems than it solves. You are doing just great, I wouldn't rock the boat!"

I want to add that today I'm feeling exhausted. It's a similar kind of exhaustion to the one I felt the first couple of days past my injection date when I decided not to take it anymore. However, I also had a stressful event at work and I usually feel the same level of physical fatigue after stressing out/becoming anxious about an event for prolonged periods.

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mhsh, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Mhsh: stopped antipsychotic (Invega Sustenna) cold turkey and would like to recover ASAP

Hi Carmie,

I am doing great! I had no relapses and I'm grateful for that. I'm 9 months off any medication so far. For the past two weeks, I had problems with my sleep (I wake up in the middle of the night, but I have no problems sleeping again, but the sleeps are a bit uncomfortable - feels as if I haven't slept), nothing major, but I had a psychiatrist who told me this may be a sign that an episode is on the way. She advised that I get on a very small dose of Serouquel (25 mg), but I refused. Currently, my only major complain is the cognitive decline and inability to process, relate and retain complex thoughts. I feel as if the Invega permanently robbed me from my old highly analytical, intellectual self.

Also thank you so much for asking. It's very considerate of you.

I also wanted to add that the latest psychiatrist I saw thinks I have a mild psychosis, but not Bipolar disorder. And, the reason she thinks I have psychosis is because I believe in things (that are part of my religious beliefs) that psychiatry would consider crazy and unscientific. I do agree with her though that these thoughts have a considerable effect on my life, but to me they are truths and unquestionable. I guess this means I'll remain psychotic till the end of my life lol.

Hi mhsh

My son 32 is on invega 3 month injection. Am his mother.  He's asked to be reduced to his psy to taper...she is not willing to do it...always promises to do it later. He's been nearly 3 y on the med. He wants to stop. Your story is inspirational. How are you doing ? 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 3/4/2019 at 5:56 PM, Mhsh said:

Hi Carmie,

I am doing great! I had no relapses and I'm grateful for that. I'm 9 months off any medication so far. For the past two weeks, I had problems with my sleep (I wake up in the middle of the night, but I have no problems sleeping again, but the sleeps are a bit uncomfortable - feels as if I haven't slept), nothing major, but I had a psychiatrist who told me this may be a sign that an episode is on the way. She advised that I get on a very small dose of Serouquel (25 mg), but I refused. Currently, my only major complain is the cognitive decline and inability to process, relate and retain complex thoughts. I feel as if the Invega permanently robbed me from my old highly analytical, intellectual self.

Hi Mhsh, 

Glad to hear that you’re doing great. Yes, sleeping problems and cognitive problems are so common in withdrawals. They will also eventually rectify themselves. The brain is an amazing, it has an incredible capacity to heal itself. 

I’m so glad you didn’t take the Seroquel. I’m tapering off Seroquel, and it’s certainly been a hard ride so far,  I’ve still got many years to go. It’s amazing how doctors use Seroquel, a really potent medication, for insomnia. They prescribe it so easily, but it’s really hard to get off, and the side effects are quite bad too. 

Wishing you all all the best in your continued recovery.💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Administrator

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 3/6/2019 at 11:19 AM, Fanch said:

Hi mhsh

My son 32 is on invega 3 month injection. Am his mother.  He's asked to be reduced to his psy to taper...she is not willing to do it...always promises to do it later. He's been nearly 3 y on the med. He wants to stop. Your story is inspirational. How are you doing ? 

Hi Fanch,

I think that these injections have a much longer half-lives than the pills so the chances of getting withdrawal effects are smaller than the pills. It essentially stay in your sons system for a very long time after he stops taking it. However, I believe some people do get withdrawals. I think it's better if you research more into it as I do not know whether I'm a common or special case. I would like to note though that I have also tapered from 1000 mg of depakote and 1200 mg of seroquel (quetapine) daily earlier without issues, but I was also taking the invega injection at the time so it could have prevented any relapse on its own, but still I didnt feel any withdrawal symptoms. On the other hand, as you can see, Carmie has indicated that they faced a hard time tapering from seroquel so it really differs from a person to the other and, who knows, it may be easier for me to quit these drugs. I would suggest that you let her switch your son to the minimum dosage of the 3 months injection available and then try your luck. That's what I did. I came down from 150 mg to 100 mg and stayed on it for a while then stopped when my psychiatric refused to taper me off. I have no clue why they're not cooperative like that. Eventually they may cause more harm to the patient when they do not respect their choices and force them to take things in their hand! I wish you best of luck and that no harm comes your son's way. To answer your question, I am doing great and so happy and stable. As I mentioned, my sleep isn't as great as it used to be and I recently got back to working night shifts which also doesn't help, but I'm so so grateful to have quit the medication. Today, for the first time, I was able to read 60 pages of a book I was interested in and follow through and retain the information I read. That was a great improvement. My short term memory has also improved (from just last week!). The only considerable thing that happened that couldve caused this change is that I was using the rest room a few days ago and I day dreamed for around 15 - 30 minutes of how positive my future could be. Day dreaming and focussing so intensely were gifts I had that I haven't had access to for years after starting the medications. I do not know whether this action/event has changed some of my brain circuits, but as crazy as it sounds, it's the only thing that happened. I may also be getting into a hypomanic phase which I slightly feel as I slept really late for around 5 hours only last night, but I'm not elevated in mood in anyway (it might be the latest psychiatrist's prediction that I may get into an episode soon playing with my head). To be fair with myself, I guess I'm just getting accustomed to the newly recovered brain faculties coupled with my lack of sleep. Sorry for the long rant. Please let me know if you have more questions.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Thank you for doing that. I just realized how I know very little of this forum and how it operates. I hope to sustain this success for another few months before writing about it there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mhsh

Im a disabled veteran who has ptsd. My psychiatrist recommended me to try invega sustenna back in December 2018. So I trusted him and tried it. That was the biggest mistake of my life. I was given two injections of 234 and 158mg. My last injection was on December 10 2018. Since then, I’ve been suffering the withdrawals of this poison. I can’t sleep and I feel as if I’m disconnected from life. How long does it take for this drug to get out of my system? Will I ever be myself again? I feel like I’m in hell! I just want to be myself again. 

2 hours ago, Jgarza7 said:

Hi Mhsh

Im a disabled veteran who has ptsd. My psychiatrist recommended me to try invega sustenna back in December 2018. So I trusted him and tried it. That was the biggest mistake of my life. I was given two injections of 234 and 158mg. My last injection was on December 10 2018. Since then, I’ve been suffering the withdrawals of this poison. I can’t sleep and I feel as if I’m disconnected from life. How long does it take for this drug to get out of my system? Will I ever be myself again? I feel like I’m in hell! I just want to be myself again. 

Hi Jgarza7,

I am sorry you had to go through that. The half life of Invega Sustenna is 25 - 49 days so for the worst case scenario its concentration in your body will drop to half after 49 days from your last injection and it will take another 49 days for it to drop to quarter of the concentration since the last injection and so on. From what I understood, it takes a long time to leave the body, but it concentrates in fat tissue so if you exercise and lose fat you might get it out of your system faster. I was fortunate to not experience any major withdrawal effects. I was taking ratfish liver oil (15 drops twice a day) for some time around my withdrawal time, but eventually stopped. I was also sleeping early and for minimum 8 hours without issues. Try to relax and lie on the bed for a while before your usual sleeping time. Some of my friends (they don't have any psychiatric issue) take melatonin for sleep aid/insomnia....I'm not sure though if it's okay for you to take it....it might be a good idea to consult a psychiatrist (perhaps a different one if you're not comfortable with the current/previous one). I do not recommend you get on another psychiatric drug to help in sleeping (like Seroquel) as Carmie above mentioned its withdrawal effects are horrible. I think it's just a matter of time till you feel better. Stay strong and my prayers are with you. In my opinion, life without these horrible drugs are worth every bit of struggle.

Take care

Hey guys,

Just a quick update. I was wondering whether the Invega caused some permanent irreversible damage to my brain or whether I became lazy and don't bother to think like I used to due to the apathy that I experienced for the whole year that I was on the injection. Hence, I've decided to go and do an assessment with a brain training (learning RX) centre. As expected, I did really bad in the assessment (it measures 7 cognitive skills like short term memory, focus, long term memory, attention...etc), but I still didn't receive my results nor feedback from the professional. I will check if their prices are reasonable when I sit with her and then make a decision whether to proceed or not. You might want to check this mind training out if you're on your healing journey and still feel you aren't your old intellectual self. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello and thank you for all the posts that meant a lot for Fanch. He has now stopped the Invega Paliperidone since 1rst of April. Of course 20/21 days is not a lot but he noticed already some changes.

First he sleeps better, we'll say non interrupted nights. Hopefully that will last, but is really refreshed in the morning.

He mentioned at a few occasion that he felt his mind is changing, meaning more alert... Also he has been writing more music (being a good lyric writer and guitarist), for longer episodes, and has enjoyed new tunes. That was very hard before. So its a plus.

Nutrition has been very important for the last 2/3 months, so I think that may help him.

We keep in touch with the Health services and have an appointment with his psychiatrist soon. But they are not agreeing.

Also has been informing and educating himself on the Sustena Invega, and taking stock of the extremely detrimental side effects...buut they talk about long term ?? what is long term ?? He has been on this depot for 2.5 years...

Please feed us on new comments, and we are very grateful.

28 minutes ago, Fanch said:

Hello and thank you for all the posts that meant a lot for Fanch. He has now stopped the Invega Paliperidone since 1rst of April. Of course 20/21 days is not a lot but he noticed already some changes.

First he sleeps better, we'll say non interrupted nights. Hopefully that will last, but is really refreshed in the morning.

He mentioned at a few occasion that he felt his mind is changing, meaning more alert... Also he has been writing more music (being a good lyric writer and guitarist), for longer episodes, and has enjoyed new tunes. That was very hard before. So its a plus.

Nutrition has been very important for the last 2/3 months, so I think that may help him.

We keep in touch with the Health services and have an appointment with his psychiatrist soon. But they are not agreeing.

Also has been informing and educating himself on the Sustena Invega, and taking stock of the extremely detrimental side effects...buut they talk about long term ?? what is long term ?? He has been on this depot for 2.5 years...

Please feed us on new comments, and we are very grateful.

Hi Fanch,

That's great to hear I'm glad he's doing good. I am now almost a year off of my injection and my sleep is still acceptable. I agree that stopping the injection makes you more alert as being on it makes you want to sleep a lot. I haven't felt a surge of creativity after stopping, but that's definitely good that your son felt it. It may indicate that his brain may be able to recover much faster than I do/did. As I mentioned before, I visited a brain training centre and they have found my cognitive skills as follows: Very low long term memory (I had issues with it before but I think the medication pushed it from below average to very low), above average working memory (I'm sure it was at least high before), very low visual processing (I'm assuming it was high before the injection as I used to be creative and notice visual patterns easily whereas now I don't), average logic and reasoning (I'm sure this was at least high), average processing speed (I think this might have been the same), low auditory processing (I've always had trouble understanding what people say) and above average attention. The scale is very low, low, below average, average, above average, high and superior. If you notice and I know for sure that the injection affected my working memory, long term memory, visual processing (creativity) and logic and reasoning skills. Thought you might be interested to know what cognitive skills it might affect and compare them to what your son reports. Despite being expensive I have decided to invest in the brain training program and I'm slowly making progress. I have also started a strict ketogenic diet that involves meal replacement shakes to lose all of the extra weight I gained after starting the injection. Losing body fat (where the antipsychotic accumulates) will help get rid of the injection out of our system much faster (which is I'm guessing one of the reasons why people say exercising helps). I am hoping that by October 2019 I have none of it left as 0.01% of it will be remaining and if I lose all of the fat, I'm guessing none will remain. You can evaluate whether losing weight (getting rid of the injection much quicker) is something your son would like to do. After a few days on my diet, I felt a brain fog which could've either been from the side effects of a ketogenic diet or that I lost a significant portion of my body fat which had the antipsychotic causing some changes in my brain. I didn't get any withdrawal effects. Anyways, I'll post soon when I have considerable progress to share (weight, intellect...etc).

Take care and send your son my regards. It takes a strong person to endure all of this, but I believe we'll all come out of this experience even much stronger.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:19 AM, Fanch said:

Hi mhsh

By the way the Invega Trinza (3 months injection) has a different half life than the Invega Sustenna (monthly injection). I found the following through a Google search "In clinical trials, PPM-3 had a median half-life of 84 to 95 days when injected into the deltoid muscle and a median half-life of 118 to 139 days when injected into the gluteal muscle. "

PPM-3 is what your son took.

So if we assume the worst case scenario of a half life of 139 days (around 4.5 months), it means it's less likely for your son (compared to my case or someone who's taking the pill form) to experience withdrawals soon. I have no clue when he will experience them, if he does at all as the injection leaves the body very slowly. I think it's good to notice any changes more carefully once a single half life has passed (after 4.5 months) or perhaps even around the time he's supposed to take the next one (after 3 months) from the date he last took it.

@Mhsh how many antipsychotics have you taken? How long were you on them? In my case, I was never on any antipsychotics then boom they hit me with this Invega Sustenna because I have ptsd. Is this all it takes to permanently hurt my brain? Or will I ever be myself?

1 hour ago, Jgarza7 said:

@Mhsh you never got the invega injection? Just pill form?

No i was on the monthly injection (Invega Sustenna) for almost a year, never the pill form (for Invega).

1 hour ago, Jgarza7 said:

@Mhsh how many antipsychotics have you taken? How long were you on them? In my case, I was never on any antipsychotics then boom they hit me with this Invega Sustenna because I have ptsd. Is this all it takes to permanently hurt my brain? Or will I ever be myself?

I have been on different antipsychotics throughout the years, you can check my signature for the details (I'm not sure if you can see it or not, let me know if you don't and I'll copy and paste it here). The latest ones I've been on were depakine and seroquel pills (2 pills each of 500 mg and 300 mg respectively for a total of 4 pills daily) which I took for around 5 months before tapering them on my own. I was also taking the Invega Sustenna injection with them and continued to take it for almost a year before I stopped on my own. It's unfortunate that they did that to you. Antipsychotics are very powerful drugs. We all hope that the damage isn't permanent and we're slowly progressing. I cannot say for sure if it is, but I sure hope (and highly guess) that the brain is able to recover. Just give it some time as the injection may take up to 1.5 years to leave your system. As I mentioned above, if you're overweight, getting rid of the fat will expedite its elemination from your system as it accumulates in fat tissue. Of course if you do that, you're at a higher chabce to get withdrawals or your original symptoms (that you took it for) return.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

Thought of coming back for a quick update. So much happened in the past 3 months since I last posted. I met many new people in my life that affected me in a very positive way. Along with the brain training, I was motivated to express my self more and I did that by completely revamping my Instagram page and in the course of a couple of months expressed many of the controversial ideas that I had bottled up for years and thought the world should know about. I always had this motivation to educate and enlighten people, but I lost all of it after the injection due to the apathy. I was also shocked at how well I was able to recall information, focus for prolonged periods of time, stay interested in a single topic, write and express myself creatively, care very little about what other people thought, process information very quickly and learn new tools (how to create and edit videos) which I have never used before. The two factors that contributed to this huge change were the new relationships in my life as well as the brain training. For the first time in my life, I feel like a considerable part of me has come back. I feel more alive than I have ever been. Maybe all what we need to do is temporarily forget about our concerns and go outside to meet people who would light up our lives and fill us with unconditional love. These people may already exist in our lives, but to see them we have to reshift our focus to the light, love and hope that exists so immensely in the world rather than the dark that we’ve experienced greatly. I still have a long way to go to go back to my former intellectual self (I feel that im 70% back cognitively which is still considerable). I need to mainly improve my focus and short and long term memories.

I may have lost some of my brains during this whole experience, but I am so happy that I got my heart back. I rarely felt so intensely in the past (even before my injection) and it’s so great to be able to feel again and be so connected to my heart. As for my brain, I believe it’s just a matter of time. I even gave away my last 20 sessions of brain training to my sister who I feel may benefit a lot from them despite being told that the last sessions are usually where most of the results are seen. I have no doubt and so much faith in God that I will continue to heal on my own without them. I am so stable and my sleep is good. I sometimes choose not to sleep if I have to think things through or get occupied with my phone (but it’s a choice not something related to my brain chemistry), but always try to compensate when I feel tired. Anyways, this is a quick update and if you have any specific questions please don’t hesitate to contact me. Please make sure to qoute my comment in your reply as I may not get a notification if you just reply to the discussion generally.

Take care everyone and I hope that you’re all healing well. 💜💙

I just wanted to add that I recently activated my facebook account that I was actively using since 2007 (if I remember well). I deactivated it around 2016 when I first had this “spiritual awakening” which psychiatrists failed miserably to recognize (perhaps intentionally) and insisted  on calling it a mental health issue, psychosis or bipolar disorder to be precise. After doing a lot of the healing work and coming to accept my self for who I truly am (including my past which is an integral part of who I am), I was able to come to peace and actually embrace my past and see it as the root to the fruitful tree that i have become today. I mention this because I have went through all of my older posts (I’m glad I was so socially active those days) and realized many things about myself. One of them being that I immensely grew personally and intellectually when I joined university. Maybe it had to do with age, but I believe the whole social experience (that was very different from my uprbringing and level of comfort) along with the mental/intellectual challenges of Academia enabled me to grow immensely as a person. I am therefore considering trying this again by pursuing my phD in a completely new environment, just as different from my upbringing and level of comfort and has the required mental/intellectual challenge that could heal my brain and bring me back to my former (or perhaps even better) self.

Of course this is one of the options. I could also try to complete the brain training sessions (which was highly recommended by the centre director) and see if I’m completely healed after it. If I get up to 80%, I could do the remaining 20% on my own. It is just that I have a very high potential idea that I was working on for years and put on the shelf. An idea that can literally revolutionize the world of material sciences if it works and it feels like all of that energy and effort may go to waste if I don’t pursue it. Of course, there are other options to make it happen than pursuing a phD, but they’ll require a considerable change in my outlook/discipline/lifestyle and the ability to focus on so many things at the same time. Believe it or not, it may actually be further away from my comfort zone to make it happen alone than through a phD. Looking back at what i just wrote, it seems I’m going have to give this much more cosiderable thought than I did.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Mhsh,

Just read your story and wanted to just say, "Hi."  Things still going well for you?   Best Regards, Glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

36 minutes ago, Glosmom said:

Hi @Mhsh,

Just read your story and wanted to just say, "Hi."  Things still going well for you?   Best Regards, Glosmom

Hi Glosmom! Things are going great! I have completely forgot about my intellectual problems from how well I seem to have improved. I can’t say that I am 100% my old analytical self, but I am actually glad I am not. I am much more balanced as an individual this way (between emotions and thinking). Previously, I was way too analytic, I guess. This makes me look at this experience as a blessing in disguise. It enabled me to reinvent myself and come back as a much more well-rounded individual. I didn’t continue the last 20% of my brain training and have no plans to pursue the phD anytime soon, but I made a consistent effort to change my diet and lose weight and I lost 13 kgs so far and haven’t felt healthier in my life. I am also much more active and got into the habit of swimming regularly which is a great exercise as well as a form of meditation for me. I am glad to say that I didn’t have any other episodes nor went back to taking these horrible medicines.

Have a great day and thank you so much for asking. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to ☼ Mhsh: stopped antipsychotic Invega Sustenna cold turkey and would like to recover ASAP
  • Moderator Emeritus

So happy to hear that things are going great. @mhsh!  Thank you for coming back for an update.  It gives hope!!   Peace and Health Always, Glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

• Administrator

Don't forget to write your success story when you feel it's all behind you.

• Altostrata changed the title to ☼ Mhsh: stopped antipsychotic Invega Sustenna cold turkey and would like to recover ASAP
  • 5 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to come back for a quick update on my situation. I feel great in every possible way. My sleep is great, my cognition is also great, but of course there’s a lot of room for improving it.

I believe these drugs are one of the most evil things ever invented. They blocked the action of two of the most important receptors in my brain (the D2 Dopamine and 5HT2A Serotonin receptors) that resulted in the cognitive issues (focus, memory, processing speed, creativity) and loss of motivation that I elaborated a lot about in my older posts. They also caused me to gain 30 kgs over the span of 4 years and metabolic issues that I still struggle to lose weight from.

Quitting them all was the best decision that I took in my entire life and although I barely had any withdrawal symptoms, I would recommend that you are very cautious with them as they are very damaging in so many different ways and will require that you take a holistic approach to healing yourself as well as treating yourself with extra care. I recommend watching Dr. Peter Breggin’s videos or reading his books on the matter.

• 5 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 12:32 AM, Mhsh said:

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to come back for a quick update on my situation. I feel great in every possible way. My sleep is great, my cognition is also great, but of course there’s a lot of room for improving it.

I believe these drugs are one of the most evil things ever invented. They blocked the action of two of the most important receptors in my brain (the D2 Dopamine and 5HT2A Serotonin receptors) that resulted in the cognitive issues (focus, memory, processing speed, creativity) and loss of motivation that I elaborated a lot about in my older posts. They also caused me to gain 30 kgs over the span of 4 years and metabolic issues that I still struggle to lose weight from.

Quitting them all was the best decision that I took in my entire life and although I barely had any withdrawal symptoms, I would recommend that you are very cautious with them as they are very damaging in so many different ways and will require that you take a holistic approach to healing yourself as well as treating yourself with extra care. I recommend watching Dr. Peter Breggin’s videos or reading his books on the matter.

Hi Mshs,

hope you’re doing well, looking forward to hear from you ! 
how are you doing these days ? 

thanks,

- 2013-2014 zoloft 100 mg  xanax 1 mg

- 2015 prozac 40mg/ Xanax 1 mg / zopiclone 7.5

- 2016  brintellix 20mg /Pristiq 50mg / xanax 1 mg

- 2017  Cymbalta / xanax 1 mg / zopiclone 7.5 mg

- 2018 cibralex 10mg/ lexotanil 1.5/ 

- 2019 Effexor 150mg / lexotanil 1.5 

- December 2019  Concerta 36 mg/ zyban 300 mg/ lexotanil 1.5  / zopiclone 7.5 mg / quit on June 2020

- July 2020  Invega Sustenna XR 100 mg shot / lexotanil 1.5 mg  / zopiclone 7.5 mg

- October 2020 reduced the dose to 75 mg shot and Quit

i am still on lexotanil 1.5  / zopiclone 7.5 mg 

• 9 months later...

Hello Mhsh and all, I have been encouraged by your posts. It is always good to see success stories. I was curious how you are doing now that it has been several years. I know everyone's story is different and everyone's body reacts differently, but knowing there is hope is enough sometimes to get through. I won't go too much into my story as I have already spelled it out in my own post, but wanted to kind of know a timeline and how long it took for everything to start feeling 'good' again. When did you start really finding interest in things again?

My story is similar to yours but I fortunately only took the initial 2 doses of INVEGA Sustenna and that was back on 2/28/22. It has been almost 6 weeks since that dose and I have not gotten another one. Of course, like many others, I have this intense fear that I will never feel like myself again. Do you have any words of encouragement?

Fluoxetine 40mg (2009-2021)

Bupropion XL 150mg (Feb 2022-Mar 2022)
Lithium Carbonate ER 450mg (Feb 2022-Mar 2022)
Fluvoxamine 50mg (Feb 2022-Apr 2022)
Risperidone 1mg (Feb 2022-Mar 2022)
Quetiapine 100mg (Feb 2022-Mar 2022)

INVEGA Sustenna (Feb 2022: Only 1st month doses, Coming Off)

Zoloft 200mg (Feb 2022-Still On)

• 3 months later...
On 1/30/2021 at 9:32 PM, Mhsh said:

I believe these drugs are one of the most evil things ever invented. They blocked the action of two of the most important receptors in my brain (the D2 Dopamine and 5HT2A Serotonin receptors) that resulted in the cognitive issues (focus, memory, processing speed, creativity) and loss of motivation that I elaborated a lot about in my older posts.

I have all of this problems. Are you fully healed? Did this improve?