Caspur

The ongoing battle with the Royal College of Psychiatrists in the UK

Caspur

There is an interesting battle going on between a group of psychiarists and individuals with personal experience of drug withdrawal who have collectivly challenged the RCP in the UK over a statement in a national newspaper and on their web site, minimising the issue of psychiatric drug withdrawal. This is the latest communication from this group - a letter sent to the national Minister for Health asking for intervention.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/07/30-mental-health-experts-write-secretary-state-unprofessional-conduct-uk-royal-college-psychiatry/

Bunyapine

Doesn’t this show what we are up against? When you you go to a doctor you try to get them to take into account that you are suffering side effects from withdrawal and that they need to take that note of that 

, but they don’t even know about it. You feel like a pariah!

Caspur

Yes Bunyapine, I agree. It seems to me this is typical institutional behaviour. They are publicly challenged and rather than responding, they just shut up shop and ignore it. Very arrogant and unprofessional.

Shep
On 7/17/2018 at 6:03 AM, Caspur said:

There is an interesting battle going on between a group of psychiarists and individuals with personal experience of drug withdrawal who have collectivly challenged the RCP in the UK over a statement in a national newspaper and on their web site, minimising the issue of psychiatric drug withdrawal. This is the latest communication from this group - a letter sent to the national Minister for Health asking for intervention.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/07/30-mental-health-experts-write-secretary-state-unprofessional-conduct-uk-royal-college-psychiatry/

In another development, Dr. Peter Gordon has been driven out of the RCP. 

My formal instruction of resignation as a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists - Dr Peter J Gordon's resignation

Both the Vice President and President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists have expressed concerns about my mental health. Unknown to me, the Vice President contacted my employers. I have now been asked to meet with the Medical Director for NHS West Lothian. I find it disappointing that College leads have not shown similar levels of concern for the values that I am trying to encourage in British Psychiatry. I am concerned that the Royal College of Psychiatrists has chosen to brick-up its windows.

Dr. Gordon was one of the signatories on the letter to the RCP (in the link that Caspur posted) charging ethics violations.

He also has lived experience with ADs.

Peter Gordon: Addressing the Divide Between the Arts and Medical Sciences

it's really sad to see someone of Dr. Gordon's caliber and truth-telling driven out of the RCP. But then again, the RCP isn't about science and truth, it's about propaganda and profit, much like the APA here in the US. 

Edited by Shep
added more information

Caspur

Totally agree. Peter Gordon has genuine lived experience of serious withdrawal - he was hospitalised by it. Hopefully he will continue to support campaigns on the prescribed drug withdrawal and dependence issues.

Cheers

Ed