jozeff

jozeff: trying to come off of citalopram - a little help would be great

JackieDecides
On 5/16/2019 at 5:43 AM, jozeff said:

Combined with my lack of sleep, my snack habits the last couple of weeks and some coffee to wake up in the morning could contribute to the awful feeling I have around noon.

people are different, but I can tell you even decaf is not always my friend! 

Bee5

I am going to have to stop coffee altogether, you are not alone.

jozeff

Thanks guys!

I'm now entering 17.25 mg citalopram instead of 18 (April 29th  2019 started tapering).

Not feeling that great though... Our little boy needs his breast milk in the middle of the night so I sleep 2 hours less than I'm used to. This seems to have a very negative effect on my mood, heart racing, anxiety and some other stuff.

My thoughts are all around the place and I pray that it's evening when things seem much calmer.

Does anyone recognize these lack of sleep induced symptoms??

Thanks for your help!

Jozeff

RachelSusan

Hi Jozeff,

I saw a very nice post you left for Tom37 so I came over to your thread.  I am sorry you are going through a difficult time with your taper but I found your story interesting and will be following you.  Thank you for your very articulate posts.

In answer to your question about lack of sleep induced symptoms, yes I have had them. Additionally, I have had to give up all things with caffeine, both tea and coffee, keep my sugar intake and carb intake low.  And I have to be very careful with sleep. I try for the same time every night. You situation is different of course, having a new baby at home.

By the way, congratulations on your son.  I am glad to read that your wife recovered fairly quickly.

Oh, I am also a very slow taper person.  Around 4% every five or six weeks. 

Warm wishes,

Rachel

Songbird

Have you considered holding your dose until your baby is sleeping through the night?  It doesn't seem like a good time to be tapering right now.

Tom37

Thanks for your post on my thread.

Glad everything is going as well as expected with your wife and new baby!

As Songbird mentioned, it might be a good time to hold your taper until things settle down at home?

Doing a taper when you still have symptoms is hard enough on its own let alone with such a big life changing event such as becoming a father again.

Whatever you do make sure you look after yourself.

PatriciaVP

Thanks so much for stopping by my thread, and congratulations on the new baby!

Please take care of yourself. A major life transition like that can be challenging enough without the added stress of withdrawal. Give yourself props for handling it all as well as you have.

I see you've been stressed over the length of time a safe taper requires, but a slow taper is so much less disruptive. After a while, the journey becomes a part of you. You realize how much you've learned, and you marvel at your own strength. This isn't a race. It really is a journey toward the best version of yourself you can possibly be, and I bet that guy's gonna be AWESOME!

Peace, love and healing. 

jozeff

Hi guys,

Time for a little update..

Have been tapering in a very slow pace.

I arrived @ 17 mg citalopram today after 6 weeks tapering from 18 mg.

I made a 0.19% per day taper so I taper every day by a very small amount.

I have some very precise volumetric equipment for that so it is no problem.

My little boy is almost 7 weeks old and he is an amazing little kid😘

He wakes me up sometimes however so my sleeping isn't ideal to say the least. I used to manage my lack of sleep pretty well 20 years ago but now I'm 43 and I'm  taking this toxic stuff (citalopram...) voluntarily which makes it a lot harder.

I will reduce my dose by 50% each year...I might go faster but we'll see.

I hope you guys are doing great/good or at least better than yesterday 😉

Cheers

Jozeff

DMV64
4 hours ago, jozeff said:

My little boy is almost 7 weeks old

Just popping in and looking around and I just saw this! Yay! Congrats! Also it is so great you are so good at all the lab stuff. I really struggle so I think that is a real blessing!

jozeff

Wow thank you!

Yes, he's been a great kid (so far😝)

Downside is he keeps me from sleeping every now and then but hey, not his fault.

It's also remarkable that he starts crying just 5 minutes after we started watching a movie several times.

About the lab stuff....I might be blessed by being able to use a ten thousand dollar lab scale and some volumetric stuff but... I have to suffer from wd just as much as everybody. The problem is that I keep creating taper schemes and calculate a lot of things without actually tapering!

I decided to make a simple schedule and stick to that. It is about 6.5 % taper per month so pretty slow. Let's see how it goes. If I don't even notice the drops I can go a bit quicker.

Cheers and thanks for stopping by

Hope you are doing fine!

Jozeff

Carmie

Hi Jozeff, 

Glad to hear you’re having fun with your new son. How great that you’ve got professional tapering equipment. Working in a lab has its benefits.😃 One of my friends actually works in a pathology lab in a hospital. I wonder if they use scales? I’ve never asked. 

Wishing you all all the best with your tapering.💚

jozeff

Hi carmie,

Thanks a lot! 

Yes, they use scales on every lab. I don't use a scale for tapering though. I make a solution and drink s certain volume. Every day a little bit less.

I use a 0.19% per day tapering method right now. Sounds complicated but it's really easy when you have a volumetric pipette.

I'm down to 16.4 mg now from 18 to April 29th 2019.

Only problem I have is this extremely tired feeling in my head but not in my body. Like I need to sleep but can't. This subsides a bit during the day but comes back a few times and makes me feel pretty hopeless sometimes.

Also strange sensations from spine/neck to my forehead. Sort of anxious very unpleasant feeling that also changes during the day.

Well, I just keep going. This taper is so slow that I wonder if my body notices it at all.... gridley any ideas??

Have a nice day you all!!

Cheers

Jozeff

Gridley
9 hours ago, jozeff said:

gridley any ideas??

I'd attribute your symptoms to withdrawal.  It's almost unbelievable how varied and strange the symptoms can be.  But after all the CNS underlies everything, so just about everything can be expected.  The symptoms are tolerable, if I read you correctly.

I think it's good you're going so slowly, especially given the difficulty you had stabilizing before and your present symptoms.  You're giving your system plenty of time to adjust to the slowly decreasing dosage.

bunchesofoats

Hey @ Jozeff, I read the first page of your post history from last year and must say there are quite a few similarities between our trajectories and experiences. You mentioned at that time about the cold pond feeling particularly relaxing and asked if anyone else had a similar response to cold, and I wanted to let you know that I definitely do. There are studies about cold therapy and of course you must have heard of Wim Hof, but besides all that, my experience is that I feel much more alive in the cold and much more anxious in the heat. I know my blood pressure is always at the minimum healthy level and when it's hot or I've finished working out my blood pressure drops below normal levels and I feel terrible. I've asked my doctors for years and even recently about what could be going on, along with the connection to my anxiety, but have no definitive answers so far.

I also found your comment about making fancy tapering schedules but not actually executing quite humorous as I do the same thing with many things in my life! I also have a science background and worked as a biochemist for a few years and then an engineer for several more years. I was aware of ssri withdrawal when I started and I've been really cautious about my whole process, yet I've still really struggled with symptoms. It was shocking to me how difficult this process was with my educational background, so I can only imagine the horror of this experience to someone without a chemistry or other science background.

I'm a bit tired at the moment as I'm getting ready for bed so hopefully this post wasn't too all over the place. Wishing you and your family well and will check back in soon.

jozeff

Hi bunch, thanks for stopping by! I'm in Sweden at the moment and I have terrible internet connection. I'll react a bit more when I'm at home again.

Since I'm Dutch of course I know Wim Hof! Have seen multiple interviews with the guy the last decade.

Cheers and we'll talk later ok,?

Jozeff

bunchesofoats

Regarding heat and mental health, I found this article: https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/recoveringfrommentalillness/2015/09/heat-can-affect-psychiatric-patients

Of particular interest were temperature related impacts on hormones and effects of psychiatric medications on ability to cope with the heat. Not a scientific paper but a good jumping off point for further research!

Hope you're enjoying your time in Sweden!

-bunches

India

Jozeff, great news on the tapering. Do listen to most recent MIA podcast involving the doctor coming off meds herself and her taper.

if I have 40mg/ml liquid.

i am on 5.4mg currently. 

If I want to make a 1% drop over 6 weeks like a micro taper.

How would I measure this out .. what drop in mgs would I be making  per day and how should i dilute the liquid.l?

My cognitive blocks are hindering my ability to work this out..

jozeff

India, which podcast do you mean specifically? There are literally 100s of them on the mia website.

Thanks for the tip!!

Jozeff