bruno2016

Hyperbaric oxygen treatment

bruno2016

Does anyone know of someone who used a hyperbaric oxygen chamber for withdrawal issues? Ann Blake recommends it and was wondering if anyone out there has experience.

bruno2016

yea it sure does, you know I am always trying new stuff but eventually need to stop it cause thats where all my money goes. I tried to send her a message about it and other products she talks about but did not get a response. Wish I could find that guy she talks about who quit paxil 60mg cold turkey! That is quite scary and I just met a guy who's wife quit the same dosage in a two week taper and became psychotic! She was a nurse who was shy and developed depression and so was given this drug. She is now confined to a mental hospital and has lost it. I am so happy I did not become psychotic because I came off my drugs fast as well, almost cold turkey! And might i add, the clinic I went to that got me off the drugs had a copy of Ann's book in the lobby! go figure!!

Anyways, just thought I would see if anyone had tried this. I would really like to find out more about it and if it fact can help in healing cause from what I read it can help with things like stroke and traumatic brain injury so i would imagine that if there is any damage caused by the drugs that I may be able to undo it. All I can say now is that I can hardly think straight!

Altostrata

Ann Blake Tracy has put a great deal of energy into educating the world about the dangers of withdrawal, but I would take anything she says about cures for withdrawal syndrome with a grain of salt.

fj929

Bump.....

Wondering if anyone else has ever tried HBOT? For long time sufferers what other options do we have????? I can't go on like this.

fj929

I spoke to Dr Tracy on this. She doesn't have one single reference that she could point you to to say that this helps. She is claiming it is the cure for WD and yet where are all the cured? I think she is profiterring of the suffering as is DR Paul Harch.

Muddles

I know of someone who is having this treatment in benzo withdrawal - it hasn't cured her but helps a lot.

fj929

Can you give us more details on this? What symptoms has it helped with? How bad was this person before and how functional are they now? How many treatments have they done and a million more questions. If this is a treatment that can help alot of people would be interested.

Thanks,

Fj

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

The above link from fj929 just gets me a blank page. Here is a direct link to the study on PLOS ONE:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0127012

fj, are you thinking that this will 'cure' withdrawal syndrome from antidepressants? Your drug was a SSRI and the person Muddles mentioned was/is suffering benzo wd. The 2 are not directly related.

The link to your intro topic is here and I see that you have not added an update since 2013. Would you consider checking in and tell us how you are doing?

Are you still feeling as badly as your signature reflects? I hope you have seen some improvement.

GardeniaBlossom

Has anyone else used hyperbaric oxygen during withdrawal? I would like to try it but am not sure if my insurance would cover it. I'd like to look into it more though.

Zepplin2011, did you ever try it? If so, what was your experience?

dj2010

anyone in the UK interested in this therapy there is a charity offering the treatment in Morecambe for £20 a session:

http://abreathforlife.org.uk/

Dude

I was asked by a moderator to copy the following post on HBOT from DJ's thread into this one:

15 minutes ago, Dude said:

Hi again. Personally, I think highly of HBOT in general. When I was in Ireland, people with all sorts of conditions were being treated in the chamber. And some of them had quite impressive results. But I'm not an expert on the subject so I can't really give you real professional advice on it. You might find more information in the thread ChessieCat provided on the subject and might, perhaps, want to do some of your own research. If you're a reader, the "Textbook of Hyperbaric Medicine" might be a place to start. Haven't read it myself, to be honest, but it was recommended to me when I was in Ireland.

That being said, you should be aware that for neurological conditions of any kind, 40 consecutive treatments are apparently the norm (consecutive as in five days a week, 1 hour per session; and yep, you read correctly: 40 treatments, not 4 or 10... so that'd make 800 quideroo in your case). Also, different pressure rates (if that's the technical term ;)) are used for different conditions. They often use a "one size fits all approach" since they usually seat up to ten or twelve people in the large chambers at a time (which was also the case in Ireland), but according to Dr. Harch's website, the role of the neurologist is apparently to specifically "tailor" the settings to your particular condition. Now whether or not that's really the case or just his way of increasing the amount of patients who come to see him I don't know. But you'd want to go somewhere where they really know what they're doing when it comes to neurological conditions.

This wasn't the case in Ireland, by the way. They were lovely people, of course, and committed to helping, but the doctor there was a general GP who wasn't familiar with my condition and just stuck me in with the rest of them (call it the "pragmatic" or "laid back" approach to medicine, if you will (i.e.,  the Irish way ;))). But personally, if I were ever to spend money on that again (which I would if I could afford it), I'd want a neurologist to be making the decisions.

So the bottom line, in my opinion, is this: if you can afford it, then go ahead. But just make sure there's a neurologist present who's calling the shots (or at least make sure one has been consulted at the place they're offering it before commencing treatment). Also, although it may indeed be beneficial, don't expect an ultimate miracle to happen.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on the subject. But good luck with it if you do decide to give it a shot!

Dude

One thing you might want to consider with regard to cost: if the people running the chamber really know what they're doing (i.e. have a neurologist involved in the decision making), then £800 is an absolute bargain. If you went to Dr. Harch, for example, it'd cost you about $10'000. And in Dublin it would cost you 4000 Euro (unless the price has gone up in the meantime).  So if you can actually afford it right now, I'd make use of the offer as long as it lasts. Again, just my opinion.

dj2010
11 minutes ago, Dude said:

One thing you might want to consider with regard to cost: if the people running the chamber really know what they're doing (i.e. have a neurologist involved in the decision making), then £800 is an absolute bargain. If you went to Dr. Harch, for example, it'd cost you about $10'000. And in Dublin it would cost you 4000 Euro (unless the price has gone up in the meantime).  So if you can actually afford it right now, I'd make use of the offer as long as it lasts. Again, just my opinion.

yeh defo a bargain, its a charity so they aren't doing it to make profit of it, I doubt they will have neurologists involved but ive emailed them asking a few questions, will find out some more,

cheers for your input

powerback
1 hour ago, dj2010 said:

anyone in the UK interested in this therapy there is a charity offering the treatment in Morecambe for £20 a session:

http://abreathforlife.org.uk/

That price is astonishing ,I wonder would one need to qualify to there protocol to avail of such a discount .

dj2010
2 minutes ago, powerback said:

That price is astonishing ,I wonder would one need to qualify to there protocol to avail of such a discount .

Hi PB, I am not sure about this, but it says which conditions can be treated in link below and brain injury and memory loss is one of them, even offer the treatment for migraines so i think any of us would qualify, ive emailed them asking questions so will update when get a reply:

http://abreathforlife.org.uk/what-conditions-can-be-treated/

dj2010
1 minute ago, dj2010 said:

Hi PB, I am not sure about this, but it says which conditions can be treated in link below and brain injury and memory loss is one of them, even offer the treatment for migraines so i think any of us would qualify, ive emailed them asking questions so will update when get a reply:

http://abreathforlife.org.uk/what-conditions-can-be-treated/

says it treats tinnitus also

Dude
23 minutes ago, dj2010 said:

yeh defo a bargain, its a charity so they aren't doing it to make profit of it, I doubt they will have neurologists involved but ive emailed them asking a few questions, will find out some more,

cheers for your input

No worries, buddy. By now they might have more experience in general when it comes to treating different kind of conditions, so I wouldn't be too worried about it if you wanted to give it a go. But reading up on the subject (for example by consulting the "Textbook of Hyperbaric Medicine") might help with communication. If I was considering going for treatment there, I would, for example, have no qualms with handing them a copy of the book if they weren't familiar with the treatment of neurological conditions and for some reason (e.g. routine) disagreed with the recommended protocol. I'd want to try to get the most out of it, after all.

One last thing though. I may be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, after treatment the majority of healing actually takes place when you're asleep at night (which usually isn't a problem for most people). So if necessary, you'd also want to take measures to help you sleep, such as taking certain supplements you're no doubt already familiar with (e.g. melatonin, magnesium, lemon balm etc.). And also eat well during that time so that your body has the building blocks it needs for optimal repair.

Lastly, if you happen to smoke (which I unfortunately did at the time and currently still do), it will probably be recommended by the staff that you quit at least for the duration of treatment (it's all about oxygen, after all). That was a problem for me at the time (especially considering that I was already going through withdrawal), as it led to insomnia. However, after a while, I figured out a combination of supplements and sleep aids that enabled me to sleep for about 5-6 hours a night, so it kind of worked out for me in the end. But I'm not too sure the quality of my sleep was all to great at the time, so under normal circumstances (i.e. under normal sleeping conditions), the benefits might have been far greater than what I experienced, which is why I'd give it another shot if I can ever afford it again and once I've quit smoking.

That being said, there were actually other people who smoked who were being treated there who didn't quit at the time. And they still derived benefit from the treatment. And had I known that was still an option I'd wouldn't have tried to quit at the time (in hindsight). So for any smokers (and I hope there are only few here, or, preferably, none) you'd have to decide for yourself whether you'd want to quit and, perhaps, struggle with insomnia (which might interfere with the healing process somewhat) or simply continue and accept that you also wouldn't quite benefit as much as a non-smoker (due to not being able to absorb quite as much oxygen etc.) , but would at least be able to sleep and would therefore benefit from a better healing process at night. That's a personal decision anyone who smokes would have to make themselves if they're considering this form of treatment. But then again, if they're already properly motivated to quit and are already past the acute phase of withdrawal, then maybe that'd be just the right time to do so (or they might even manage to do so beforehand, if the offer is on for a good while).

Anyway, that's about everything I have to say to HBOT.

Good luck and take care!

Dude

Dammit, another Germanism has crept in there. "All I have to say to HBOT...". I wonder what HBOT has to say to me...:P

dj2010
2 minutes ago, Dude said:

No worries, buddy. By now they might have more experience in general when it comes to treating different kind of conditions, so I wouldn't be too worried about it if you wanted to give it a go. But reading up on the subject (for example by consulting the "Textbook of Hyperbaric Medicine") might help with communication. If I was considering going for treatment there, I would, for example, have no qualms with handing them a copy of the book if they weren't familiar with the treatment of neurological conditions and for some reason (e.g. routine) disagreed with the recommended protocol. I'd want to try to get the most out of it, after all.

wow thanks Dude you really put time into providing information for us, I will have a look at that textbook, 

3 minutes ago, Dude said:

One last thing though. I may be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, after treatment the majority of healing actually takes place when you're asleep at night (which usually isn't a problem for most people). So if necessary, you'd also want to take measures to help you sleep, such as taking certain supplements you're no doubt already familiar with (e.g. melatonin, magnesium, lemon balm etc.). And also eat well during that time so that your body has the building blocks it needs for optimal repair.

luckily sleep is not to bad at the moment like it was in the early months, just waking up a few time,

4 minutes ago, Dude said:

Lastly, if you happen to smoke (which I unfortunately did at the time and currently still do), it will probably be recommended by the staff that you quit at least for the duration of treatment (it's all about oxygen, after all). That was a problem for me at the time (especially considering that I was already going through withdrawal), as it led to insomnia. However, after a while, I figured out a combination of supplements and sleep aids that enabled me to sleep for about 5-6 hours a night, so it kind of worked out for me in the end. But I'm not too sure the quality of my sleep was all to great at the time, so under normal circumstances (i.e. under normal sleeping conditions), the benefits might have been far greater than what I experienced, which is why I'd give it another shot if I can ever afford it again and once I've quit smoking.

That being said, there were actually other people who smoked who were being treated there who didn't quit at the time. And they still derived benefit from the treatment. And had I known that was still an option I'd wouldn't have tried to quit at the time (in hindsight). So for any smokers (and I hope there are only few here, or, preferably, none) you'd have to decide for yourself whether you'd want to quit and, perhaps, struggle with insomnia (which might interfere with the healing process somewhat) or simply continue and accept that you also wouldn't quite benefit as much as a non-smoker (due to not being able to absorb quite as much oxygen etc.) , but would at least be able to sleep and would therefore benefit from a better healing process at night. That's a personal decision anyone who smokes would have to make themselves if they're considering this form of treatment. But then again, if they're already properly motivated to quit and are already past the acute phase of withdrawal, then maybe that'd be just the right time to do so (or they might even manage to do so beforehand, if the offer is on for a good while).

Anyway, that's about everything I have to say to HBOT.

Good luck and take care!

I no longer smoke, I used to smoke a lot but after i was forced to go cold turkey from venlafaxine in 2009, a few months after cold turkey I started having panic attacks very time had a cig so had to stop smoking cold turkey also,

thanks again for your detailed input

take care

dj2010
1 minute ago, powerback said:

http://abreathforlife.org.uk/foods-matter/

Just by reading this article says a lot about diet and doing everything to avoid inflammation in our body's .very interesting . 

interesting article, trying to reduce inflammation is certainly a key thing for us lot

Dude

Okay, but lads, just one last thing. I think it's great that you're seriously considering giving HBOT a shot. It might very well help you significantly. And it's a cool experience being in such a pressure chamber (not to mention "getting high" on pure oxygen... just kidding, you don't get intoxicated but will feel good in general afterwards ;)). But just don't get your hopes up too much. On their website they list the conditions that can be treated. They're not promising an absolutely guaranteed cure for anything. 

That being said, have a look at Dr. Harch's website. There are some mind-blowing videos there of people who were seriously brain damaged and who were treated. One of them was, unfortunately, so brain damaged after a traffic accident, he could no longer move or talk. After about 80 treatments (if I remember correctly), he was able to stand and move about a bit. He didn't completely recover (no absolute miracle in his case, unfortunately), but it does at least seem as though he benefited immensely from treatment. And there are other examples, as mentioned (also on youtube).

So anyway, look into it, consider it and if you do go in for treatment I wish you all the very best. There's most likely going to be some improvement. But just don't get too carried away with the enthusiasm for your own sake. Hope for the best but "keep it real", so to speak (word ;)).

Good luck to all of you.

His Royal Dudeness B)

Brussellsprout

I was doing hyperbaric therapy pre- Pristiq and it helped a ton with cognitive function. I am now weaning off 6 mg pristiq after 2 months on it and am restarting treatment to see if it aids in withdrawal at all. Just a note- I found it MUCH cheaper to purchase a chamber and oxygen concentrator to have in my home for use whenever I want. The purchase price was $5700 US.  I had tried it at a pay-per-use place about 10 times before deciding to purchase a less expensive version of their super nice chambers. Tonight is my first “dive” and I’ll journal my progress when I can. 

Evss
On 6/17/2018 at 5:35 PM, Brussellsprout said:

I was doing hyperbaric therapy pre- Pristiq and it helped a ton with cognitive function. I am now weaning off 6 mg pristiq after 2 months on it and am restarting treatment to see if it aids in withdrawal at all. Just a note- I found it MUCH cheaper to purchase a chamber and oxygen concentrator to have in my home for use whenever I want. The purchase price was $5700 US.  I had tried it at a pay-per-use place about 10 times before deciding to purchase a less expensive version of their super nice chambers. Tonight is my first “dive” and I’ll journal my progress when I can. 

Has it helped at all?

dj2010

be very careful, I did 1 hyperbaric oxygen session over a week ago and my sleep has nosedived, I am now waking up every hour and very afraid of what it has done to me

Evss

Did you do a soft or hard chamber? Cuz I know the hard ones can detox you since the ATA is much higher. 

On 7/13/2018 at 11:35 PM, dj2010 said:

be very careful, I did 1 hyperbaric oxygen session over a week ago and my sleep has nosedived, I am now waking up every hour and very afraid of what it has done to me

dj2010
5 hours ago, Evss said:

Did you do a soft or hard chamber? Cuz I know the hard ones can detox you since the ATA is much higher. 

it was a hard chamber, I am certain it did cause detoxification because the day after I developed intense mouth ulcers, I know they are a common sign of detox, something to do with toxins being pushed out through skin, I wont be trying the treatment again until I am much stronger, when I do try again I will try at a lower ATA and a shorter session and build it up, luckily my sleep is now returning to baseline since I had the session,

Evss

That totally makes sense now. Well, I’m glad to hear it. Sleep is so precious. :)

Brussellsprout

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this response.  SOOO - what I've discovered is that when I do the hyperbaric therapy (soft chamber), I feel better UNTIL I skip a day and then, it sends me into worse w/d symptoms.  My theory is that the chamber is making the smaller amount of medication work better (there are studies showing that the use of Prozac plus hyperbaric therapy had a stronger effect on depression than either the drug or hyperbaric alone) BUT when you don't use the chamber, it's basically like dropping down the medication dosage.  Just a theory but it's what I've observed.  Luckily I have a chamber in my house so I could use it daily, but honestly, it's an hour of time that's difficult to find sometimes.  End result- yes it helps (soft chamber- I think the hard chamber would make things worse) BUT if you're still withdrawing from the medication, I think you'd have to do it every single day to prevent an up/down effect of the medication on the brain.

Martina23

I think I couldnt imagine to give 800 EUR for any treatment. I guess going on the fresh air for a few hours a day must have the same effect as hyperbaric chamber and it is for free. (But I am no expert, naturally :-))

Peachy

@Martina23

has your OCD started to go away, or do you still have it?

Peachy

@Brussellsprout

How are you doing with the HBOT tank? Do you feel it was a good investment in your recovery? Do you mind sharing which tank you purchased? I was thinking about going to the pay/per visit ones, but I'm still on 5mg of my pill...

thoughts?

Thanks!