elizabeth11: Must learn how to survive: neurotin gabapentin melatonin withdrawl

elizabeth11

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Elizabeth ~

You describe my day EXACTLY -it's like im 2 different people from morning to night and mornings are lasting well into the afternoon again -i dont know if the season change did something -

I'm certain this is a biochemical thing it is so pronounced - I did get some propanolol recently and will try tomorrow AM -

It's also been suggested to changemy sleep schedule but that sounds like itcould cause more problems -

I think about going to ER but know they won't do anything and might try to put me in psych-

Barbara-

Someone said it has something to do with diurnal hormones. (No idea as to which hormones though). I really don't think they have a clue. I don't know if the seasons have anything to do with it. It is something 'cycling' inside of us.

It is like a jekyl and hyde, this forever and so totally exhausting feeling of not wanting to get up in the morning, blueness to feeling hopeful and normal in the evening.

This has been the most exhausting experience of my life. Exhausting beyond the core.

Consider yourself so lucky that you have a family and the ability to be at home to ride each day out. Where you ever like this before the SSRIs? I always remember being anxious by nature but nothing like this.

Years:150mg Wellbutrin (to concentrate) 20-30 mg Celexa (rumination).

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

Best time of my life. Botched IVF in Dec 2011.Stress.

Bone chilling exhaustion and told to go back on celexa and wellbutrin.

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

I just began reading about diurnal rhythms yesterday - weird that you mentioned it-

Nope I was relatively 'normal' prior to meds - not at all anxious but very introspective and analytical (I know that's a shocker) - I was put on Zoloft in '93 by an Internal Medicine doc for general blahs /fatigue -

I've never been one to let things roll off my back or roll with the punches - always questioned my purpose in life and wanted bigger things than my friends - an 'existentialist angst'-

I don't really have a family that's supportive and my depressive state has worsened dramatically since I was put on disability 11 years ago - losing one's purpose or reason to get up and out and among people is IMO the worst thing thing that is done to people - it erodes the self confidence and feeling of worth so entirely -

I agree that there are times when breaks are necessary to get through difficult times but to not be needed is a killer whether it's real or imagined -

It's a tough situation in any circumstances - I know now that my situation was about the worst to attempt this - no stability or support - and now my husband is in w/d and will take no advice -

I feel like my life is a cross between Whac-a-Mole and Groundhog Day - i'm the mole

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Someone said it has something to do with diurnal hormones. (No idea as to which hormones though). I really don't think they have a clue. I don't know if the seasons have anything to do with it. It is something 'cycling' inside of us.

It is like a jekyl and hyde, this forever and so totally exhausting feeling of not wanting to get up in the morning, blueness to feeling hopeful and normal in the evening.

This has been the most exhausting experience of my life. Exhausting beyond the core.

Consider yourself so lucky that you have a family and the ability to be at home to ride each day out. Where you ever like this before the SSRIs? I always remember being anxious by nature but nothing like this.

Yeah, the diurnal hormone would be cortisol (melatonin being the nocturnal hormone). I totally hear you about the most exhausting experience in your life. It has been pure hell for me, and I relate to what you say about being a bit anxious by nature but nothing like this. I always got nervous, but not generalized anxiety or dread or sheer fear and panic. In any case, I can tell you it gets better, it just takes a while to get stable. I still notice that I'm more susceptible to get "activated" by outside stressors, but I've gotten better at managing the anxiety and with time it has lessened. Sometimes it's hard to notice the improvement until you have a really bad few days again and then you go "oh, wow, I forgot how bad it was and how much better I actually am!" You get used to improvement really fast! I get impatient with falling back in my progress... one or two days of feeling good and it's like I'm another person and I've been there forever and steps back are a tragedy again. But I then think about the plus side... this is a weird spiraling improvement, but there is no denying that I'm incredibly better than I was a few months ago. I am quite functional now, and able to enjoy life much more.

Walk, eat well, try to meditate, accept what you are going through... you will get better!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Administrator

elizabeth, how is your taper going?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I'm off the neurotin but had a relapse to the celexa and wellbutrin that I was on originally.

I got so exhausted and depressed with the constant struggle, the constant feeling like the world was going to end every morning with this diurnal thing. Pnurse said it was classic depression. Couldn't sleep well at all.

The wellbutrin is causing my heart to race like crazy...feel like it is about to jump out of my chest. The celexa was ok for 2 days (at 5 mg) Went to 10 Mg and then thought today...big bo bo..to go back up to 20. Will not be doing that tomorrow 'cause it made me way too doped up. I was on 150 mg Wellbutrin and 20 mg Celexa before I started this rollercoaster.

Pnurse wants me to take a benzo too and that I draw the line on. I refuse to go down that road, especially after studying this board. Am taking valerian instead.

Alto, I know you have dedicated yourself to helping people go off. For people that need to go back on and try to taper again, do you have any advice? To not shock ourselves with the temporary restatement.

I am at a point where I have a few months before my life will become stress-excited with grad school. I feel like my confidence is shot after trying to get off everything and needing to go back on for now. Really sucks, in a what is the purpose of life if I'm stuck on this crap kind of way.

I just want to feel OK so I can get on with life.

Thanks to all on this site!!!

Elizabeth

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

• Administrator

If the Wellbutrin is making your heart race, that's not good. Try reducing the Wellbutrin.

When people reinstate, they don't have to go all the way back to the original dosage. Take just enough to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. It may be 5mg Celexa.

Your various withdrawals may have made your nervous system hypersensitive. If you get adverse reactions from these drugs, such as feeling "doped up" or jumpy, you're taking too much for your system.

The nurse is incorrect, it's classic withdrawal syndrome. And you do not have to take a benzo. This person seems to be poorly informed.

These papers were published in a nursing journal. She should read them: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/900-howland-2010-potential-adverse-effects-of-discontinuing-psychotropic-drugs

Thank you Alto. After trying 20 mg celexa yesterday I was barely able to sleep and was really depressed this a.m. I haven't hurt myself, I hope???

I only took 1 pill today and will NOT be taking more than one per day.

I know you've written for many people not to jerk around with skipping days, or half pill one day, full pill next.

With respect to the wellbutrin, do you think I'm okay just dropping from 75 mg to 33.75 mg (approx)?

I don't have a jewelry scale, but can approximate 1/2 down to 1/4 pill.

Thanks so much. This setback sucks.

Elizabeth

• Administrator

No, you're okay. You've been on it only a few days, right? I'd take 10mg for 2 days, then 5mg.

(Please put your current medication and tapering regimen in your signature so we can understand where you are with this. Instructions here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature )

If you've been taking Wellbutrin only a short time, you can go off it relatively quickly. This may be a good idea, since you're having a bad reaction. How long have you been taking it?

Started everything a week ago Friday. So that would be 10 days.

What would you recommend I do about the Wellbutrin? This heart issue really scares me.

What would you recommend I do about the Celexa? I understand I should not worry about having taken one day's dose of 20 mg. just stay at the 10 mg dose for 2 days and see how I feel?

Can I ask a sleep question too? What else can I do to help?

I have just hung big panels of fleece--used normally for dog blankets--over my windows to try to block out all light. I have eye covers. Last night I took 2 dhea--my levels are low and 1 melatonin 3mg hoping to sleep. Went to bed at 10:30. Mother came by to go to her room at 12:30 a.m. and I swear it felt like it was 6:30 in the morning.

Had such a hard time chilling that I took 25 mg of benadryl which barely helped. Don't know if the benadryl can cause anxiety/depression but it seems to be the only thing I have that I can take. (I do have ambien--don't want to use it and ativan-don't want to get addicted to something and refuse to even go down that path). But g*d, what I would give for a good night's sleep. Told pnurse--she suggested trazadone--an anti-d when I met with her--but she knows I have the ativan and instead told me to take it (which of course I didn't).

My pnurse would be so furious if she knew what I now know. Pnurse is really trying to help.

I had a great discussion with my Mom about how her version of what I am going thru is the BC pills of the 1970s. She was scared after reading that they were way too strong (turns out they were) so she went off of them.

I'm having such a harder time then her. Plus my confidence is all screwed up. Don't know what is me, what is AD, what is how I need to "grow up" and deal with things better, etc., etc., etc. Have a lot of resentments towards the MDs and those who put me on this crap. And reading Anatomy of an Epidemic, where they discuss what is going on at the synapse with these ADs, how they are preventing the synapes from their normal behavior and it takes 3 weeks for the synapses to 'give up'--hence the delay in effects from the drugs...OMG I cannot believe it!

Thank you so much for putting this site up. You have no idea how much it helps so many.

I just want to get back to life instead of these horrible negative feelings from this process. Just like i'm sure everyone else on this board.

Elizabeth

• Administrator

The palpitations from Wellbutrin are concerning. If I were you, I'd take half a dose tomorrow, for a few days, then stop taking it at all.

Another side effect of Wellbutrin is sleeplessness. Given you're having other symptoms of over-activation from it, it may be affecting your sleep as well.

You may also be suffering from withdrawal insomnia. Many times people become desperate from this. It is grueling.

Try 10mg Celexa for a few days. Your nervous system is going through a lot of upsets with withdrawal syndrome plus the addition of the drugs. Let it settle down. Try not to add more drugs and be gradual with the ones you are taking.

Alto-

Thanks!!!!!

• Administrator

....Last night I took 2 dhea--my levels are low and 1 melatonin 3mg hoping to sleep....

e, how much dhea are you taking? How long have you been taking it? Why are you taking such a high dose of melatonin?

• Moderator Emeritus

I have just hung big panels of fleece--used normally for dog blankets--over my windows to try to block out all light. I have eye covers. Last night I took 2 dhea--my levels are low and 1 melatonin 3mg hoping to sleep. Went to bed at 10:30. Mother came by to go to her room at 12:30 a.m. and I swear it felt like it was 6:30 in the morning.

You've got the right idea. When I first went off Lexapro I'd sometimes stay up for two days straight, feeling terrible but unable to sleep. After I found this site and learned what was going on with Cortisol levels, keeping the curtains drawn and wearing a sleep mask helped me immensely. And of course, being able to sleep will help your body to heal the other problems faster.

...my confidence is all screwed up. Don't know what is me, what is AD, what is how I need to "grow up" and deal with things better, etc., etc., etc. Have a lot of resentments towards the MDs and those who put me on this crap. And reading Anatomy of an Epidemic, where they discuss what is going on at the synapse with these ADs, how they are preventing the synapes from their normal behavior and it takes 3 weeks for the synapses to 'give up'--hence the delay in effects from the drugs...OMG I cannot believe it!

Please don't blame yourself for this very difficult period you're going through. If I'm not mistaken, Celexa is very similar to Lexapro and I've experienced just about every symptom you've described. You're not at fault here. It's a really terrible thing to go through and you didn't bring any of it upon yourself. Withdrawal has nothing to do with "growing up", resisting the symptoms, or finding a magic pill (herb, supplement, vitamin, exercise, et cetera). Your body is going to do what it has to do to get back to pre-AD normalcy and I don't know of a thing you can do to rush it along. But be assured, the body has an innate drive to heal.

I, too, am horrified at what I've learned about the practice of psychiatry. Another book that you might like is Dying for a Cure by Rebekah Beddoe. She was misdiagnosed as having post-partem depression and went through five years of horror until she educated herself and got off the polypharmacy wagon. While her story is hair-raising, it has a happy ending, which I found quite reassuring. She is now a healthy, contented mom and wife despite all the terrible drugs she was given.

Hang in there, be easy on yourself, and take it one day at a time.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

....Last night I took 2 dhea--my levels are low and 1 melatonin 3mg hoping to sleep....

e, how much dhea are you taking? How long have you been taking it? Why are you taking such a high dose of melatonin?

I'm taking two 25 mg dhea pills. My last test was a score of 15 and the minimum reference range was 40. I thought it might help with the high cortisol.

Also added an aspirin last night. I just want a normal night's sleep!!!!

just a little bit of melatonin doesn't seem to do a thing for me...

About the wellbutrin, I took 37.5 mg (quarter of a pill) and can feel is jacking me up again.

Does anyone know what you can do about the celexa...taking it this am I started to feel tired and then took the wellb and now hate how I feel. Does the tired feeling from celexa go away after you are "reinstated" on it? Can you take celexa at night??

G*d I wish I had never gotten on this cr^p.

I'm so exhausted. :( Am off work today, and after have such a nightmare weekend, am trying to take it easy.

Alto, do you think after this I can go ahead and just quit the wellbutrin now? Or should I skip a day and chop the quarter pill in half? I don't want to shock myself. Would love your great advice.

Thanks!

• Administrator

Since you're having such a bad reaction to the Wellbutrin, it may be a good idea to stop it.

I believe some people do take Celexa at night. How much are you taking?

50mg DHEA is a very high dosage, and it could be contributing to your activation. In women, it increases androgen (male sex hormones) -- often you get whiskers. This is too much androgen.

See this discussion in tezza's topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1644-tezza-risperdal-withdrawal/page__view__findpost__p__19058

I think I read somewhere that women shouldn't take any more than 5mg, see http://www.raysahelian.com/dhea.html

You might do better with less melatonin, also, maybe even .25mg. Too much melatonin can keep you awake, or cause side effects such as weepiness. More is not better with supplements!!!!!!

Alto + Others on this site-

I just found out from my repro endo the source of my symptoms that caused me to go back on the ADs had nothing to do with the ADs..I'm trying to figure out how to best post it so that others can use this information.

Anyways, I'm still on 10 mg celexa, taken at night and it is knocking me out way to much. I'd like to try to drop down to say 7.5 mg and see if I can hold stead there.

I went back to the Celexa on April 6.

____>>>Should I do the nail file shave method or just go ahead and cut the pills now? Have I been back on too long so that I need to go to the traditional very slow method?

I've been able to stay off the Wellbutrin which was giving me heart palps. It feels SO GOOD to be completely off of at least one poison. I had a very stressful day yesterday that finished up just fine. I felt the day, what a wonderful experience compared to being numb.

Sleep is still a challenge, even when I take the Celexa at 10 p.m. or 3:30 a.m. when I inevitably wake up. Taking it in the morning is ridiculous how dead it makes me feel. About 7 hours after I take it it finally starts to wear off enough so I can function-otherwise I get so darn sleepy. The WB was to counteract the sleepiness and kick fire the motivation which is dumbed down by the celexa.

Alto-

Can I go ahead and use the nail file shave method to drop the celexa down a bit? Or go ahead and chop the pills into quarters?

Other Celexa users-

Any advice on when to take the pills? When I take them at midnight, or 3 am when I wake up, i'm groggy until about 10 or 11.

When I take them at 10 p.m. the night before it is still hard to get up before 9 or 10.

When I take them a 8 p.m. I feel kinda negative when I do get up around 9.

Strange question, but when do you find it is best to take them??

Thanks!

• Administrator

• Moderator Emeritus

I feel like I am dying all over again.

The pdoc said to quit the 100 mg twice a day of gabapentin. Did that by last Sunday.

I rotated back to pnurse-she has a license for meds and she told me to do the standard 1/2 a .5 ativan when needed, exercise, all that stuff that you really cannot do when you feel so low.

Yesterday I found out that I did not get into a graduate school program that I had been working on for a year. Was a pretty big blow, but I think the problem was they didn't look at the entire picture, didn't consider where I went undergrad (seven sisters) verses other applicants from the local state school. I'm sure that those who did get in deserve it, but it is hard to learn that after having hoped for a year it would work.

I'm not really eating. I just have no appetite. I don't want to do anything, be anywhere, do anything with anyone.

This is such a core, to the soul sense of pain for which I want, I need relief at all costs.

Is this who I really am? :o I just want to curl up in a ball.

Any advice would be so appreciated!!

I can't believe I missed this thread.

Elizabeth, when I CT'd 1200 mg of gabapentin, I had the worst depression I've had since I tried to CT Wellbutrin and wound up in the hospital. Maybe worse, actually. I was VERY SICK. Depressed, suicidal, miserable, same problem with appetite. You describe it perfectly.

I wound up on Xanax and Celexa as a result, which I'm still tapering now two and a half years later.

I reinstated to 300 mg and stabilized and I am just now wrapping up my taper off the 300 mg (of Neurontin).

I can tell you, it's definitely NOT YOU. It's the CT. Hope you're feeling better now. Neurontin withdrawal really messes with your head.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 1 month later...

Celexa question...

is about 2/3 of a 10 mg pill a big dose or not? I figure its about 6 mg or so.

Do you think it is just having a placebo effect? Or doing something?

Thanks! Aside from a hyperthyroid experience this weekend...which I am hoping I'm getting back under control, I've been feeling quite well on just this dose.

Elizabeth,

Im not qualified to answer Celexa question but curious how you determine that you had hyperthyroid incident - anxiety, etc?

Thanks for comment on my thread. I appreciate.

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

elizabeth, Celexa comes in liquid form. You can taper it more slowly and adjust the dosage more precisely.

No matter what your doctor may have said, 6mg Celexa is not an inconsequential dosage and you may very well feel it, as well as a 4mg drop.

Please taper more slowly, your nervous system will thank you.

Where are you with all the other drugs you were taking? Don't change them all at once, make changes very gradually, one at a time.

elizabeth, Celexa comes in liquid form. You can taper it more slowly and adjust the dosage more precisely.

No matter what your doctor may have said, 6mg Celexa is not an inconsequential dosage and you may very well feel it, as well as a 4mg drop.

Please taper more slowly, your nervous system will thank you.

Where are you with all the other drugs you were taking? Don't change them all at once, make changes very gradually, one at a time.

I reinstated to 10, even tried 20 for one day and found it way, way to stimulating. So I'm happily sitting with the 6 mg.

Neurotin is history. Prescribed by an idiot pdoc. Will never see one again. Only on that forsaken chemical for a little over a month.

Pnurse wanted me to restart Wellbutrin too, but it was way to stimulating with heart palpaitations so, with your good advice it quickly bit the dust. Again.

Then I found out I didn't need to go back on anything because my symptoms causing me to reinstate were all caused by being severely hyperthyroid. As in TSH less than 0.01. Massive endocrine problem misdiagnosed as being pyschological when it was physiological.

Now that I am back on the Celexa, 6 mg, working on settling out the thyroid.

**Am wondering if that low of a dose is doing anything? Or is 6 mg celexa truly a low dose or not? Maybe I'm kidding myself thinking it is a low dose??**

When the thyroid is settled, I'd love to drop it even lower.

Thanks!

Elizabeth,

Im not qualified to answer Celexa question but curious how you determine that you had hyperthyroid incident - anxiety, etc?

B

Anxiety, suicidal thoughts from lack of sleep, being over stimulated. Felt like I was loosing my mind, which has never happened to me before. Scared the crap out of my family, it was so bad. Was the hardest experience of my life. Way, way abnormal for me.

I had access to a generic medical blood script that I kind of added thyroid tests to for the blood draw. The Dr office knew what I was doing but they didn't treat thyroid problems. Once I had the results, I asked for an urgent appointment with my old endocrinologist office. Had to wait 2 weeks but the nurse spoke with me right away to get a solution started. My repro endo (a different doc) explained to me how this happened to me.

Hope this helps! Something happens in the human body to get these feelings of anxiety and the like, and instead of dealing with the physiology the pdoc medical world it far too quick to dope people up on these horrible poisons. Without telling us what we are doing and addicting our bodies too.

A bit of a wrant, but I feel like I now am dealing with PTSD after what happened. I'm scared of ever re-experiencing what I went through.

And it consistently breaks my heart when I log back on to this site and read about forevermore horror stories from the newest members. I'm sure one day this will be just like breast cancer used to be...when they used to cut the breast and surrounding muscle as the 'gold standard' when the cheaper lumpectomy works as well and harms the patient much less. The latter is now the standard of care. We are in the ice age of psychiatry.

However with pdocs and pdrugs I fear the money issue may prevent them from waking up for many, many years and innumerable numbers of people will be hurt in the process. And reading Alto's post about the resignation letter of a previous American Psychiatric Association president for how screwed up he found this entire arm of medicine to be, and how it is manipulated by the drug companies, just makes me shutter.

Prior to my hyperthyroid experience, I didn't care about this topic quite as much, but now that I've gone through this trauma, I'd like to scream about this from the proverbial mountain top. According to "Anatomy of an Epidemic" it is a really an American made, profit driven problem and crisis. Another proof of why our American medical system is really, really screwed up.

Phew, thanks for listening!!

Not a rant at all! Very important info and the endocrine involvement is my proverbial mountaintop material also. I read years ago that hyperthyroid is often diagnosed as mania/bipolar. I, too, have swung between hypo and hyperthyroid and want to warn the world!

Im glad youre feeling better and you caught that frighteningly low TSH.

B

• Administrator

Wow, elizabeth, you've made so much progress!

Appreciate your observations about your thyroid condition. We can only hope medicine learns more about antidepressants soon.

• 4 months later...

Elizabeth,

B

Anxiety, suicidal thoughts from lack of sleep, being over stimulated. Felt like I was loosing my mind, which has never happened to me before. Scared the crap out of my family, it was so bad. Was the hardest experience of my life. Way, way abnormal for me.

I had access to a generic medical blood script that I kind of added thyroid tests to for the blood draw. The Dr office knew what I was doing but they didn't treat thyroid problems. Once I had the results, I asked for an urgent appointment with my old endocrinologist office. Had to wait 2 weeks but the nurse spoke with me right away to get a solution started. My repro endo (a different doc) explained to me how this happened to me.

Hope this helps! Something happens in the human body to get these feelings of anxiety and the like, and instead of dealing with the physiology the pdoc medical world it far too quick to dope people up on these horrible poisons. Without telling us what we are doing and addicting our bodies too.

A bit of a wrant, but I feel like I now am dealing with PTSD after what happened. I'm scared of ever re-experiencing what I went through.

And it consistently breaks my heart when I log back on to this site and read about forevermore horror stories from the newest members. I'm sure one day this will be just like breast cancer used to be...when they used to cut the breast and surrounding muscle as the 'gold standard' when the cheaper lumpectomy works as well and harms the patient much less. The latter is now the standard of care. We are in the ice age of psychiatry.

However with pdocs and pdrugs I fear the money issue may prevent them from waking up for many, many years and innumerable numbers of people will be hurt in the process. And reading Alto's post about the resignation letter of a previous American Psychiatric Association president for how screwed up he found this entire arm of medicine to be, and how it is manipulated by the drug companies, just makes me shutter.

Prior to my hyperthyroid experience, I didn't care about this topic quite as much, but now that I've gone through this trauma, I'd like to scream about this from the proverbial mountain top. According to "Anatomy of an Epidemic" it is a really an American made, profit driven problem and crisis. Another proof of why our American medical system is really, really screwed up.

Phew, thanks for listening!!

E, we havn't heard from you for a while just wondering how you are doing?

Hope all is well with you.

Thanks for checking in with me.

When I finally got my thyroid regulated...I am one of those people who feel the best on low, low, low doses of replacement hormones with a free t4/t3 on the the low end of normal...I felt the best emotional I have in my entire life.

And then, when technically hypothyroid and prior to starting grad school I decided one final time, after 6 years of working on it, to try to get pregnant (with MD help).

I went to a private clinic in NY where I was able to still go ahead with the pregnancy attempt despite being hypo when other MDs probably would have said no and guess what, it worked!! At the moment I am 18 weeks pregnant with twins. One of them is sick and that is another story. I decided I could not do a selective reduction for many reasons.

(There is more life crap to my grad school experience but I'll table that for the moment).

I think I have spent my entire life since having my thyroid out being at a hyper level for me and hyper causes anxiety and antidepressants are used to try to knock down the anxiety.

I really wonder if most people don't perhaps have hormone issues that are misdiagnosis and mistreated with these horrible drugs!!

Life is not perfect. Being pregnant is not the wonderful experience I dreamed it would always be. My thyroid, which was removed, has begun to grow back and I have a nodule kicking out hormones, which makes supplementing them quite hard. I have to fight with my endocrinologist because if I took the amount of replacement he says I need based on my size, I would have to be locked up due to anxiety and side effects ha ha! Don't you just "love" doctors who want to practice based on blood test numbers and not on how you feel????

Taking even tiny doses of thyroid hormone (t4 or t3) during pregnancy does a number on me. So I end up suffering with ups and downs during the day...take t3, feel better for a little while once it kicks in, my family says I seem hyper and then it quickly wears off and I feel dumpy again. I just try to remember that this is a temporary condition which will end and how happy I am with myself that I am taking no more celexa at all. I'm off of everything and darn proud of myself!!!!

It is my thyroid (and pregnancy hormones) which are out of whack, not this bogus business about seritonin.