SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

sonzy: insomnia

sonzy

I had been on Aropax for 23 years. The main reason I was on these meds was for OCD and social anxiety. They did help, they made me not obsess so much over my mental illnesses, enabled me to function somewhat in society but made me to some extent emotionally numb. I battled speed and alcohol addiction for many years, thankfully I went to rehab and have been clean 6 years. Because of my problems and lack of self confidence I never achieved a career and only did the most basic jobs like cleaning.

After getting clean from speed and alcohol I found chronic fatigue to be a major problem which made hard labour extremely difficult. The docs couldn't figure out what was causing the fatigue, there were periods of low iron and autoimmune markers, also I had overactive bladder so that would have contributed. Mid 2017 social anxiety became really bad again, I was cleaning at an office and was a nervous wreck when people would talk to me as I had such low self esteem and couldn't think of anything to say.

The doc suggested swapping from Aropax 40mg to Cymbalta 60mg to see if it would help with the social anxiety and fatigue. It helped majorly with the fatigue but eventually the anxiety got worse until I was anxious about everything. I was on the Cymbalta around 6 months but was sure it was making the anxiety worse so I gradually came right off it. After 3 days I went back on the Aropax, hoping that the anxiety would go. The anxiety was reduced but was replaced with the most awful muddled feeling, I could not think clearly. I was do a warehousing course at the time and it is a miracle that I passed. I decided seeing as I had only been back on the Aropax around a month that I could do a quick taper and come off it altogether as I am now of the opinion that it is a major contributor to my fatigue.

I cut down from around 30mg to nothing within a couple of weeks. For the first three days I was fine, even jogging then the insomnia hit. It lasted for 14 nights until having run out of all options I realised I would have to go back on a small dose of Aropax. I am back on 5mg now, have been for around 5 weeks. These drugs affect not only your psych they affect your body too, I find it very hard to jog while on them, yet I still try to do a little because I know how good exercise is for the brain.

My main problem at present is that I am still suffering from insomnia and restless legs, not every night but most nights. I think post menopause may be playing a part in all this and it could have contributed to my the anxiety also. To combat the insomnia I have used serouquel, temazapem and melatonin, not all at once but individually, they have minimal effect. I asked the doc if hormone replacement therapy might help and she said usually we give SSRI's these days instead of hormone replacement. I think I could taper off the Aropax slowly if it weren't for this terrible insomnia, I am scared it will get worse.It looks like I am doomed to stay on 5mg

At present I am delivering for UBER but I have applied for other jobs. I don't know how I am going to convince an employer to give me a job or in what state I will be able to do that job as I am so sleep deprived. I also take mirtazapine 30mg at night, I have been on this for around 7 years. My main reason for taking the mirtazapine was it helped with sleep previously but doesn't seem to do much now. I don't want to come off the mirtazapine it as I think I have enough to deal with right now. I am grateful to anyone who reads this, just writing it has had a therapeutic effect. Any insight or suggestions would be much appreciated.  

Edited by mammaP
added spaces
  • ChessieCat changed the title to sonzy: Insomnia
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sonzy, welcome to SA.  First, 

On 7/24/2018 at 11:44 AM, sonzy said:

Because of my problems and lack of self confidence I never achieved a career and only did the most basic jobs like cleaning.

This is an extremely important job, and it saddens me when people don't feel proud of the work they do. You have worked hard while suffering and also battled alcohol and drug addiction, and stayed clean for 6 years. All this is something to be very proud of .

Getting clean from speed and alcohol would have changed your nervous system and my guess is that the same dose of aropax would have been too high. People often no longer tolerate the same doses of drugs when there has been a huge change like this.   Switching to cymbalta and back again was also unsettling, and then quitting led to withdrawal. Well done for reinstating a small dose, most people go back to a high dose and react to it. 

Can you tell us about the seroquel and temazepam? We need to know when you take them.  We really need you to fill in your signature with your drug and tapering history. Just the drugs, doses and dates. We have the other details in your post. It is very important we have this so that we can give you the best advice.   You can find instructions to do that here...

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/?do=getNewComment

For now you need to take the 5mg of paxil and the mirtazepine. When we have the other information we will get the whole picture. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

It is all a bit of a blur to be honest. On my profile I have put what drugs I have been on and what years. Around April 2018 I went back on Paroxetine 40mg and found it made my head so muddled I could not concentrate so I dropped to 20mg. I was doing a warehousing course at the time and I could not answer a lot of the questions because my brain was so slow. Over around a 4 week period I dropped from 20 to nothing, I didn’t think I would need to do a really slow taper because of having only being on them again for around 4 weeks. I was wrong very wrong as the ensuing insomnia proved. When I have had a bit more sleep I will try and put the signature together. Thank you for your kind words.

Hi, have you tried deep breathing meditation to help with sleep? How do you cope working  sleep deprived working with  uber?

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

Good suggestion, I will try this. I have been going to bed really wound up because I have had my meth addicted son living with me. I managed to get him onto a plane to stay with his Dad for a while so I must use this time to do activities that relax me before bed.

Delivering for UBER is extremely hard when I am sleep deprived. I have to do short stints and pray, pray, pray that I can get a park near the restaurant. Also I try to go away from the city because parking is too difficult.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sony, 

How are you doing?💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to sonzy: insomnia