EnglishSteve: Help needed - Mirtazapine

EnglishSteve

Dear EnglishSteve,

I'm sorry you are having such a rough, rough time.   I understand it completely as many people do on this site.   Not only is your body in an agitated state but your mind is too-all having to do with your nervous system being in a highly sensitized state. 

I think it's important to understand what people mean by stabilizing.    I have tapered off of two medications, one of them was Remeron, and am tapering my third.  

For me stabilizing  has meant that I am not in extreme agony all the time.   But it did not mean that the time period it took to completely stabilize was always pure hell.  I can't guarantee that but what I do think it's important to keep in mind that this journey is full of ups and downs.  Stabilizing for me means that there are up and down days while my brain tries to heal and then finally reach a state where there is not such extreme symptoms.   There still are symptoms but they are manageable.  It's not just alternating between heaven and hell.  I hope that makes sense and I do understand that it feels hellish to you right now. 

There were times during my withdrawal from Remeron, that I had to up-dose a small amount.  I just was too unstable to function and so I went up 1mgs and then up 1mg more.  It moved me out of being so shaky-didn't make things perfect, just shifted me from agony to tolerable withdrawal.   I stayed there for a month or 5 weeks.   I think you would have to hold longer as your cut was much bigger.  That is not a judgement, just a reality of what your body may need in order to feel better. 

I can't tell you what to do because we are all individual and have to figure out our way.  It's a combination of instinct and information.  You have gotten some feedback above from members who seem to recommend that if you going to up dose, it should be small steps to see if you can get some relief while not putting your system into a more agitated state by going up too much.  

As hard as this is, people do heal from withdrawal all the time. 

HIbari

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EnglishSteve

• Songbird

• manymoretodays

• bluepm

Top Posters In This Topic

If it makes you feel any. My story is almost identical to yours. I started mirtazapine 15mg in october 2017. Stayed on iy for 6 months and tapered. My day sounds exactly the same as yours too. Im now fully withdrawn from mort but still suffering, im interested to see how you progress.

Started Sertraline August 2017 - 1 day - Didn't tolerate
Switched to Mirtazapine 1 day later - Worked very well..?
Took Mirtazapine for 6 months:

15mg for 4 months 

7.5mg for 40 days 

3.7mg for 10 days 

2mg for 7 days 

(Smaller doses were inaccurate, breaking pills up into segments just by eye)
Tapered completely off Mirtazapine in April 2018. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Steve, here are some topics that you may find helpful:

about reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

the rule of 3KIS - keep it simple keep it slow keep it stable

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

The important thing to remember is to treat your nervous system very gently while it is in this highly sensitised state.  Think of it like a frightened animal and make no sudden movements.  You need to calm it and soothe it.  You may be able to find a dose somewhere between 7.5mg and 15mg where you can restabilise, but any dose changes need to be small so that your system can adjust, rather than being thrown into more confusion by a sudden big change.

In the meantime, treat your system very gently.  It's a good idea to cut out all stimulants, such as caffeine and alcohol.  It can also be helpful to avoid any activities that are very stimulating and intense, such as watching scary/suspenseful/dramatic movies or TV programmes.  (I didn't watch the news for a long time).  You can work on calming your nervous system using some form of relaxation exercises.  For example: progressive muscle relaxation, gentle yoga, calming breathing exercises, meditation, guided visualisation, etc.  I like to use recordings with gentle music and an instructor's voice telling me what to do so I don't have to think about it.  When I was in a really bad way I would do this three times a day and it helped me a lot. You could try some out and see what works for you.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 1:28 PM, EnglishSteve said:

Hi survivor. Acceptance is something I will have to practice. I’ve had a look round the site but I’ve got to be careful what I read as some of the stories on here have put me a real tailspin. 

Three months is a long time to wait for stabilisation. It must’ve took a lot of faith to believe that you would eventually stabilise.  I take it you’ve been on a cocktail of meds then ?

Do you find your feel better after 7 PM of an evening ?. I find I do, it’s really quite strange.

Hi Steve, I have crashed on Paxil two times. The first time was due to a manufacturer change in my prescription and the second time was from a too fast of a taper. 

The second time I tapered I did 1mg drops every 4-6 weeks and got down by 10mgs in a years time. That was too fast for my system. I had no symptoms until 8-9 months in and I crashed. 

I ended up having to reinstate back to my full dose again it took a good 6 months to feel 100% better again. Symptoms would slowly get better over time but once your CNS is so unstable it takes awhile to get it to calm down again.

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

Hello I’m making my own Mirtazapine liquid using a one-to-one ratio on mg  to ml.  Anyone else out there who is had success using this method to taper. Please no disaster stories I’m too fragile for those

1)On Seroxat (Paxil) 14 years

Stopped working.

2) September 2017 cross tapered to Mitrazipine 15mg over 4 week period.

3)Six weeks after cross taper tried to reinstate to Seroxat at low dosage. Lasted 10 days. Failed.

4)  Remained on just Mirtazapine 15mg for 8 months.

5)  in May 2018 attempted cold turkey from Mitrazipine. Lasted 4 days. Failed.

6) reinstated 15mg for 9 days

7)  reduced dose of Mirtazapine

to 7.5mg. Been on  this dose for  six weeks to the present day and I’m now totally unstable.

• manymoretodays changed the title to EnglishSteve: Help needed. Mirtazepine
  • Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, EnglishSteve said:

Hello I’m making my own Mirtazapine liquid using a one-to-one ratio on mg  to ml.  Anyone else out there who is had success using this method to taper. Please no disaster stories I’m too fragile for those

Hi Steve,

I merged the above post back here to your main Introduction/Journal page.  It appears that you posted your question in a brand new Introduction/Journal page.  Only one introduction per customer. B)  Otherwise it can become very confusing around here.

You may be able to find further discussions around using homemade liquids in our tapering section to add to.  Or you could visit other members introductions as well.  It looks like both Hibari and Survivor1 have stopped by to offer support and experiences.  To find other members threads you can go to the top right of the introductions page and just put their name in the search box to find their threads.  This IS a site for support during and after withdrawal and also for information/education and guidance in your journey.

I think ChessieCat already covered how to do a general search on topics here.  And then you can always add to them as well.......other topics.

And don't sweat it too much........right now.........the techno and cognitive difficulties apparent when so many of us arrive..........me being one.  I just read a lot and looked for the positives inherent here.  Took me ages to actually navigate around the site much........:rolleyes:  It was all part of early/acute withdrawal and for me anyway...........yes, it's gotten better, improved greatly.  I still have struggles and do hit waves, much improved though.    Have you seen this.........about the waves and windows of withdrawal?  WindowsandWaves

Do go back and look at and try some of the nondrug coping as well.  Songbird gave you a link.  Or just go to our symptoms and self care section and look around.  Especially look at some of the pinned topics at the top.   I used to often find stuff on others threads that was helpful in learning new coping skills too.

I used a homemade liquid for my last medication reduction with success.  However, I held at one dose for quite some time before tapering.  I had, like you........done an ill informed/uneducated approach to coming off Lexapro and wound up on 2 other medications for the subsequent severe/acute withdrawal.  I simply held for 6 months and then came off the more activating medication I had been given.  And then struggled a bit more until I felt stable enough to begin a slow titration taper off my last medication.  By stable..........I'm not implying that I was fully functional.  Yet........I had found that withdrawal normal for me that then allowed me to go further.

It looks like you are less than a year out from a nearly cold turkey of Paxil/serotax.  And just recently did a whopper of a 50% reduction to your Mirtazepine. 

And I'm sorry it's been so tough.  Been there, done that.............

You might consider just holding at your present dosage for longer(and I mean months) before tapering again.  And give your nervous system a little more time to stabilize and recover. 

I take it that you have decided not to go with any small updose with your mirtazepine?

Are your symptoms improving?  The general akathisia/ internal agitation restlessness and all the neuroemotions that go with it(as you described somewhat above)?

This isn't a race...........jumping down and off your final medication too soon......... often just further delays the recovery of your CNS and your recovery time.

Here are a couple links that may help in your understanding/education that you may have not seen yet:

Before you begin tapering

Why taper by 10%

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Brain remodeling

Video: healing from antidepressants

None of these ^ are disaster stories.........they just offer a realistic view of what I expect you may be facing/dealing with now. 

I hope you find them helpful.

All for now.  Keep us updated.  You can use this page, your journal/introduction to note your progress and ask questions. 

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• manymoretodays changed the title to EnglishSteve: Help needed. Mirtazapine

I appreciate your positive comments and advice manymoredays, certainly warmer than brass monkeys. I think some people forget what it’s like to be  suicidally unstable.  

But I don’t understand this, I wanted to start a new conversation about making liquid so I started a new subject with a new heading so people would see it and comment and I would get some opinions . Now, once again a moderator has moved it to my introduction which is titled Mirtazapine where no one will ever see it. I don’t see the point of me continuing. I’ve made a few comments before elsewhere that have been moved straight to my introduction. I was hoping to get a conversation going about making your own liquid, get some “help and support” as you say. But where you have moved it to you may as well have deleted it.

As for  disaster stories, maybe that’s the wrong choice of words. But when you’re  unstable and extremely fragile reading some of the stories and  testimonies on this site can have a real negative impact on you. I try to be very cautious about what I read in my present state,. I know many on Facebook forums who avoid this site for that very reason.

So how do I get a discussion going about making your own liquid ?. Do I have to find someone else discussing it and join their coversation, I found some yesterday but they were dated three or four years ago. 

I can’t get an accurate dose cutting my pill in half so I was hoping to make liquid (not to taper). Maybe in its present location someone will see my question  in a couple of years and comment. More than likely though someone will see I am unstable and chime in to say they were once unstable and it took a long time to stabilise. 

Stopped working.

3)Six weeks after cross taper tried to reinstate to Seroxat at low dosage. Lasted 10 days. Failed.

to 7.5mg. Been on  this dose for  six weeks to the present day and I’m now totally unstable.

Hi Steve,

You will buy such little medical glass which contains the inscriptions of ml - the whole scala of ml until 100 ml (ie. 10, 20 ml, 30 ml ... until 100 ml) and a syringe. You will take one capsule of drug (if water tapering is allowed for that particular drug) for example 1 capsule is 50 mg of drug (this is an example). You will put it to the glass and fill the water until 100 ml. You will shake it properly. Than you will take a syringe, and if you want for example 40 ml of drug, then you will just remove 20 ml of liquid which you have in the glass. And the rest you will drink. The things above you will get in the pharmacy.

Is it clear now?

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi EnglishSteve,

We are entirely staffed by volunteers.  Keep in mind that we all do have jobs, families, and other commitments, as well as our own health to manage.  This is an extremely busy site.  And if you feel your needs would be better met on FB........then that's fine.  I'd also encourage you to make sure you have appropriate "on the ground" support as well.

Your attitude is not great at the moment.   

I encourage you to take a look at RulesandGuidelines-ReadThisFirst

We expect our members to take it upon themselves to read the links provided.........as well as learn how to use the site.  It can and should be empowering.

While I can sympathize with your current state of withdrawal and symptoms from that.........I cannot and will not endorse your criticisms. 

We do our best as well to keep our site and topics organized and updated........... so that users like you can find and access the information that they need.

I've included a couple more links specific to your situation.  The first one........indeed......... it has some recent comments pertinent to your previous question.  This would be the appropriate place for your question about making a liquid.  We don't, however, encourage negativity or drama.  

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine

Both of these links came from our tapering section.

mmt

and a p.s.-  thank you for clarifying that you would not be tapering at this time ES.  B)

Edited by manymoretodays
ps

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks Martina for the advice. I’ve actually been out and bought quite a bit of medical equipment , syringes graded containers etc, to start making liquid, but I still have many questions. Like what generic brands people have had success tapering with ? (Mine doesn’t dilute very well)

Have people had much success  making liquid out of oral Dispersable tabs. ?

If I notice a change in physical and mental symptoms should I hold out for things to improve or go back to solid tablets. ?

Can I use maple syrup to aid suspension. And many more questions.  

There must be hundreds of people in a similar situation who have similar questions or even answers. I was hoping to get a conversation going so we could all compare notes etc.

Hi Manymoredays. Those links you sent.,I actually went through them all  yesterday before posting my new topic.  The one on Mitrazipine  and making your own liquid I read 2 or 3 times. I’m trying to soak up as much info as I can.

I have no wish for drama or arguments. MY CNS can’t handle it. You  say this site can and should be empowering, and your right, it should, and I did feel empowered posting my topic yesterday only to feel deflated when it was buried again in my intro. I didn’t purposely post it in the wrong place, I thought I was being legit. 

Would  it not be better to  move my question to the link you provided (making your own liquid) if site logistics allow. It’s got to be better than burying it in the graveyard of my intro. Or should I go to the link you  provided and start again.

I am sure this site is staffed by many kindhearted souls, yourself included, and I applaud each and everyone of you.  I didn’t say, or do I think my interests would be better served on FB. As one of your moderators told me, when she was at her worst she couldn’t even watch the news. It maybe an  unpalatable fact, but the fact nonetheless, that some of the stories and  testimonies  on this site do have the potential to have a negative impact on  people who are fragile.   I’ve had the wind  knocked out of my sails on more than one occasion trawling this site, hence me saying no disaster stories please. It’s  not the people who write the story’s fault, nor the moderators fault, or the fault of the people who avoid this site. It’s  just the unfortunate nature of the beast.  

You say to make sure I have on the ground support  but as I mentioned in my intro  I have absolutely no support at all unfortunately (my fault)

. It’s why I choose to walk the tightrope and reach out to people on sites like this and FB

Anyway, I’m sorry if I came across with a bad attitude, but I was genuinely upset that my topic and question was moved to my  intro where I know  no one will ever see . In my fragile, psych drug distorted mind  it just feels like I keep having the carpet pulled out from under my feet.

I do intend to taper eventually, I was just Hoping to stabilise on the liquid first

Cheers Steve

Edited by manymoretodays
spacing

Stopped working.

Steve, and where did you put your story previously? I am not a mod, sure, so maybe it wouldnt work, but I guess if you put it to the tapering section, make a new topic tips for tapering of mirtazapin or something similar (look if such doesnt exist already), I can not imagine you get a problem. Or maybe you can put your questions in the tapering topic where you got the link. But once more I am not a mod and therefore I just say what I would consider ok from my view.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Hi Martina.  I put my question intros and topics As I know the headline would attract people in a similar situation and provoke discussion .  I will see if the moderator will move it to link they provided, or suggest something else as I don’t want to post the question in a wrong  location again and have it moved back to my intro.

It’s not the first time I’ve ventured out my box only to be put back in it.

Are you tapering liquid Martina and have you been on this site long ?

Stopped working.

Maybe this is a problem. Because in Intros and updates everybody can place only one intro -yours and if they are more they will be authomatically put to your first "official" intro. I tapered liquid -Lyrica was the medication - three years ago. I am on the site since january 2015 - so actually long, yes 🙂

symptoms OCD

So you are actually off all drugs. Fairplay to you, I salute you

Stopped working.

Hi ES,

I am so sorry you are going through such a rough time.  I, unfortunately, cannot answer your questions but wanted to suggest finding other members who are tapering mirtazapine.  If you click on the tag "mirtazapine" under your name, links to other posts regarding mirtazepine pop up so you may be able to see others who are trying to get off of this medication as well.  You could reach out to those members on their threads or through a private message to see how they tapered.  I hope this is helpful and you get some answers to the questions you have.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/25/2018 at 3:05 PM, Martina23 said:

Maybe this is a problem. Because in Intros and updates everybody can place only one intro -yours and if they are more they will be authomatically put to your first "official" intro. I tapered liquid

Thanks Martina,  ...............and WantRelief.  You guys are great!!  B)

.......maybe that makes it clearer ESteve.  Your question became "a new intro topic".

You can start a new topic in tapering or symptoms and self care ESteve.  It's always best to do a search first though to see if a similar topic already exists.

On 7/25/2018 at 2:17 PM, EnglishSteve said:

Anyway, I’m sorry if I came across with a bad attitude, but I was genuinely upset that my topic and question was moved to my  intro where I know  no one will ever see . In my fragile, psych drug distorted mind  it just feels like I keep having the carpet pulled out from under my feet.

I do intend to taper eventually, I was just Hoping to stabilise on the liquid first

I think it was the bad attitude and negativity that got to me, and I apologize for being so hasty myself.  

Just try and treat us all with a little respect.......Okay.......... and you'll be surprised at what you get back.

People will see your post here.....

The proof is in the responses you have already gotten.

And yes, you can post your question in the strings in either of those links.  I think the one on mirtazapine tapering might be best........it really depends on the question though.   Put a note in your post as well..........something like........mods, please leave my question here.  Really read the whole thread, in both of those links though.........especially the top couple of posts.  Because you might find that some of your questions are answered well enough to help you decide.  I know you said you did already........and I don't mean to harp.......but go through them again with an eye to answer some of your questions.  I think you'll find at least some answers.  You are asking a lot of questions all at once.  Be a bit of a turtle, if you will.........you know the turtle that always wins the race.

If I notice a change in physical and mental symptoms should I hold out for things to improve or go back to solid tablets. ?

Can I use maple syrup to aid suspension. And many more questions.  

There must be hundreds of people in a similar situation who have similar questions or even answers. I was hoping to get a conversation going so we could all compare notes etc.

When going from tablet to a liquid form of medication.........there's a different absorption rate, so a crossover is advisable to get your system accustomed.  Even if you are using the same tablet in your homemade liquid.  Most likely you will have a more rapid absorption.

So.......

"When changing from tablet to liquid we suggest you keep taking your current dose (in other words do not reduce your dose)

and cross over by taking 3/4 tablet dose + 1/4 liquid dose for about 3 days,

1/2 tablet dose + 1/2 liquid dose for 3 days,

1/4 tablet dose + 3/4 liquid dose for 3 days, then all liquid.

(or do half and half for a few days to a week if that's the best you can manage)

Maple syrup??

I'm not sure you'll get a conversation going with hundreds of people when you post question to the Mirt tapering string but hopefully you will get a few.  WantRelief also gave you very excellent advice as to how to begin to find other Mirt taperers, who also crossed over to liquid formulations.  Thank you again WantRelief.

Like what generic brands people have had success tapering with ? (Mine doesn’t dilute very well)

Have people had much success  making liquid out of oral Dispersable tabs. ?

Also Steve, if you decide to change the form of mirtazapine before liquifying.  You'd have to get use to the new form as well first.  I've learned we treat a formulation change(meaning a different manufacturing of your medication) as a dose change.  Right now.......for you........the less changes the better.  Here's our motto: The Rule of 3 KIS

Try and be consistent as much as possible with your dosage measurement, even now(I'm assuming you are cutting a tablet) as well as the time of your dose.

I know you did say you pored over those links but go through the one about making a liquid from tablets or capsules one more time..........especially pay attention to some of the posts from Rhi about swirling your solution and that stuff.......that might help.  If there is any way that you can stick with your present tablet to liquify with........I think that may be best...........given your present state of symptoms and all.  If we can just minimize any additional changes right now.

I liquified a medication called oxcarbazepine/Trileptal.  It was a coated pill.  I used plastic urine sample cups with lids for my mixing vessel.  You can get all kinds of stuff from Amazon though.

Anyway.........I put the pill in the container and then added tepid water(I would of course measure the amount of water).  With that pill.......I had to leave it to sit for a little bit and wait for it to dissolve........then I'd swirl it around in the container a bit more before finally extracting my dose amount with a syringe.

Okay......and happy reading.  Look at our symptom and self care section too.......you might find things there that will help you cope.  I think someone might have left you a link from when you were here a month ago.  If not just go to that area from the home page.  Look at some of the topped pinned topics.

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
one additional comment

Thanks  Wantrelief and manymoretodays.  Your input and advice is very much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to answer my queries.

Stopped working.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ESteve:

I recently tried to taper off 3.75 mg. remeron.  I crushed a  15 mg. generic remeron tablet and added 15 mg. oral suspension liquid; withdrew 3.5 mg. and crashed on day 11.  I then tried a new batch using 15 mg. remeron and mixing with 15 mg maple syrup.  Not much better, so went back up to 3.75 mg.  I have to say I stabilized quickly back to 3.75. 

Last year (Aug. 2017),  I cut the 1/4  of 15 mg. to 1/8 (half of 3.75 mg.) and made it to day 30 before I had to updose  back to 3.75. mg.  When I updosed I experienced worse symptoms for a full 11 days.  It took me about 35 days to stabilize back on the original 3.75 mg. 

My next plan:  I now have 15 mg. dissolvable Soltabs and will cut into 3.75 mg. (1/4 pieces); dissolve into water with same amount of ml to mg.  First, I want to stabilize on the full 3.75 mg. Soltab before I even begin a .25 mg. reduction.

Let's stay in touch.  We can do this!!

Hope you are feeling better!

Started 3.75 mg. remeron 4/2013.  Had tapered off benzo 4/2011.  Had tapered down to 1.87 mg remeron but mistakenly thought I was in bad withdrawals, when it was Synthroid again.  Stopped  Synthroid 3/31/3021-side effects are the same as hyperthyroid symptoms, but doctors have no knowledge of this side effect.  Started taper end of 7/2021, now at 3.48 mg. daily. 

Hi Shebdon.

I’m still stuck on 7.5mg solid.

I tried to make my own liquid but my body couldn’t take it so I had to go back to solid. 

Why do you think you crashed making the liquid, I had a similar experience.

Also you did well getting to 30 days on 1.87. What’s were your withdrawal symptoms, they must’ve been quite bad to reinstate after 30 days

Stopped working.

On 6/25/2018 at 12:38 PM, EnglishSteve said:

Please is anyone else out there with some experiences what I’m going through  ?

Hello! I'm reaching out because you seem to have similar experiences to me with seroxat and mirtazapine. I am recovering from a disastrous withdrawal attempt giving me the same kind of horrendous symptoms you describe. I'm better than I was a few weeks ago when I was absolutely desperate but still have a long way to go. How are you doing now? Hope your still posting! Good wishes.

Seroxat 20+ years (20mg) 

c. 2014 tried to taper off seroxat but returned to 20mg dose within a month or so.

c.9 feb. 2018 from 20mg to 10mg seroxat every day. c.23 Feb to 10mg every other day, 22 Mar stopped seroxat, started 15mg mirtazapine.

3 Apr to 30mg mirtazapine. 16 may to 45mg mirtazapine. 31 May to 30mg mirtazapine. 6 June to 15mg mirtazapine. 10 June 10mg seroxat and stopped mirtazapine.

Current meds are10mg seroxat, 50mg amitriptyline (for fibromyalgia) from c.2004; 2mg doxazosin (blood pressure) and indapamide (blood pressure), both from c.2012; propranolol 10-20mg as required (up to 3 times a day) taken during periods of anxiety from c.2012.

Hi ESteve:

I am thinking crushing the generic tablet and mixing with the suspension liquid or maple syrup causes uncertainty in dosing...and could be that crushing the tablet causes a less-potentcy reaction.  ...just my surmising. 

I told my doc I wanted to try the dissolvable SolTabs.  I have them now and will mix up my first batch next week.  I will cut the 15 mg. into 1/4s and dissolve 1/4 into 3.75 ml water; drink the entire dose.  Do this for a full 6 weeks to ensure the switchover will work.  Then begin taper with .25 mg. reduction each time with a hold for 4-6 weeks.  That's the plan...

I did well getting to the 30 days before I crashed (symptoms weren't as bad as the symptoms I had when I went back up to 3.75 mg.)  Geez, I was sleeping only every other nite, racing thoughts, achiness like the flu, fatigue, etc.).  That took me a full 35 days to stabilize again.  So you might need some more time on 7.5 mg. for stabilization.  Before I went back up in dose to the original 3.75, I was experiencing 3 hr. sleep nites, but maybe I should have stayed the course... Oh well...

If the SolTab plan does not work, I will ask for compounded liquid mirt from a compounding pharmacy.  Several folks on this site have also tapered using that method. 

I have tapered off a benzo and ambien 7 years ago, so I know I have some PTSD from that experience too.

Hope you get stabilized soon and know that it will happen...

Regards,

Shebon

Started 3.75 mg. remeron 4/2013.  Had tapered off benzo 4/2011.  Had tapered down to 1.87 mg remeron but mistakenly thought I was in bad withdrawals, when it was Synthroid again.  Stopped  Synthroid 3/31/3021-side effects are the same as hyperthyroid symptoms, but doctors have no knowledge of this side effect.  Started taper end of 7/2021, now at 3.48 mg. daily. 

Hi Shebdon and Catali, hope all is well with you both.

I’m still stuck on 7.5 mg solid tablets at the moment (Mirt). My attempt at liquid floored me big time so I’m going to sit tight for a while before I attempt another taper. 

How are you getting on with the SolTabs Shebdon, It sounds promising, I plan to try this route myself. ?

And catali, Where are you with your taper.  What dosage are you on and what methods are you using ?

Stopped working.

are  you feeling better holding 7.5 mg 

buspar  7/16 to 4/17  does  45 mg, 30 mg , 15mg then 60 mg  stopped did not like the side effects  tapered 

paxil    10 mg 10 /16  11 / 16 bad reaction  stopped  

xanax  .25 mg as needed   10 /16  30 days  only stopped 

ativan  1/17 1 mg 30 days supply  tapper off   the best i could  1/16/18  stopped 
prozac  4/16 to  1/17    20 mg start   then 6 months 40 mgs then down  10/17 to 20 mgs   off 2/17 bad reaction  stopped 

klonopin  .5  three daily   as needed  took .5 for 30 days when getting   on Prozac 5/1/17 stopped   then started again  1/2/18 to 4/10 stopped by tapering over 30 days down to .125 a day. though time, but  better now stopped 

Mertizipine   11/16 to present started 15 mg  at 7.5 mg  4/17 to  7/18 ,  7/4/18   3.5 mg  skipping does  the plan was to go off it while on  Prozac  but  it never worked    back on 7.5 mg 

Hi bluepm,  I am slowly getting better sticking with the 7.5 mg. It takes a bloody long time to stabilise 

Stopped working.

i am in the same boat i tapered from 7.5 mg to 3.75 mg  to quick  i am going back  to 7.5 mg  and hold for awhile  Mirtazapine is hard one to taper  off but i don't have a lot experience either   I tried before  and my  Doc told me just to stop  because 7.5 mg was a low does. never worked . 

buspar  7/16 to 4/17  does  45 mg, 30 mg , 15mg then 60 mg  stopped did not like the side effects  tapered 

ativan  1/17 1 mg 30 days supply  tapper off   the best i could  1/16/18  stopped 
prozac  4/16 to  1/17    20 mg start   then 6 months 40 mgs then down  10/17 to 20 mgs   off 2/17 bad reaction  stopped 

klonopin  .5  three daily   as needed  took .5 for 30 days when getting   on Prozac 5/1/17 stopped   then started again  1/2/18 to 4/10 stopped by tapering over 30 days down to .125 a day. though time, but  better now stopped 

Mertizipine   11/16 to present started 15 mg  at 7.5 mg  4/17 to  7/18 ,  7/4/18   3.5 mg  skipping does  the plan was to go off it while on  Prozac  but  it never worked    back on 7.5 mg 

I know it’s a weird and totally unstable drug.  How long were you at 3.75 and what symptoms did you have that forced you to go back up

Stopped working.

well i did not go back up yet  still  3.75  mg  for 30 days now  at 3.75 mg   causing  me  anxiety  but that's that part the w/d process   still setting on the  bench about going back i never did  c/t off mert. only for week a time failed  each time but i was at low does 7.5 for the longest time.  

how are you doing  ?  

Hi Blue...  i’m not great. Still stuck at 7.5, I’ve yet to make up my mind what I’m going to do but I know I need of this drug. How are you ?

Stopped working.

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, EnglishSteve said:

Hi Blue...  i’m not great. Still stuck at 7.5, I’ve yet to make up my mind what I’m going to do but I know I need of this drug. How are you ?

Hi EnglishSteve, 

Just wanted to tell you I’m on 7.5mg of my meds as well. I’m going to do microtapering next like brassmonkey did. I can’t taper taper by 10% though so I’ll be tapering by 5%. It will take about ten years but I can’t go any faster as the akathisia gets bad. 

I hope all all goes well with your taper💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

i am hanging in their i am tapering back up my  dr. gave  some proplalnol  60 mg slow release it was helpful .  

this link has good some  insight  

https://npanth.wordpress.com/tag/withdrawal-symptoms/

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi EnglishSteve,

Just wondering how you are doing at present?  Are you feeling any closer to W/D normal or stable?

I'm seeing more postings, on Remeron/mirtazapine liquifying, and tapering as I type........well sort of, before.  B)  And thought of you.

Updates?

mmt

• ChessieCat changed the title to EnglishSteve: Help needed - Mirtazapine

Hi many more days. 

I tried making my own liquid and failed I could only last two days.

So I went back to half a solid tablet 7.5 mg.  but I’m still not stable as it’s very hard to get an accurate dose, the tablets don’t cut evenly in half.  I’ve got two Gemini scales, But they don’t seem very accurate. You weigh the same pill three times and get three different weights. Don’t know what to do .

How are you keeping  ?

Stopped working.

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, EnglishSteve said:

How were you doing this?

Another member might be able to help you work things out.

About weighing:

This topic has information about how to weigh.  using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses

On 8/22/2018 at 11:46 AM, brassmonkey said:

For working with the gelcaps the best thing to do is take the average weight of a bunch of pills (10 or more) and work with that.  Grind up several pills at once and then just measure out the calculated weight from the supply pile.  this will be more accurate in the long run than trying to calculate each individual dose.  When you change over to doing it this way treat it like you would do any taper making a change in the way you're measuring things counts as a dose change event because there will be a very slight change in the dose weight and the new delivery system so you need to  allow things to stabilize.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

ES,  

You can, from my understanding. .......work with pill weight averages.  You would calculate an average pill weight from those weighed.  And then work with that measurement.  For you.....now......you would go to one half of that average pw (pill weight) to get your 7.5mgai (active ingredient) from your 15 mg tablet/pill.  I think it's clarified more in the link as well.                      

I am well, thank you.  I just updated my introduction this a.m. too!    

L, P, H, and G.........mmt  (android post :-(......)

Edited by manymoretodays
fixed spacing from desktop

On 9/18/2018 at 2:13 PM, EnglishSteve said:

Hello EnglishSteve,

I would venture to say that the reason the liquid didn't work is because you are still not stable.  I suggest to throw all thoughts of tapering/switching to liquid/other changes out the window for a few months. After you start to feel better, then do the liquid transition that was suggested to you earlier.

Stabilization can take a long time, but it will happen.   Best wishes.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg