Ritzywife: Lexapro withdrawal

Ritzywife

10 years ago I started having what I thought were panic attacks diagnosed by my Dr...I was put on 10 mg Lexapro.  During the last 10 years I still had the so called attacks but only a few so we assumed the drug was working.....until July 2015 when I had another episode that lasted 4 days... a pulse of 180 that would just not go down...In th ER an attendant looked at the monitor and said casually -oh you have “a-fib”....something I had never heard of..... which convinced me that all those panic attacks were really a-fib attacks...because they all felt the same!

Last June  2017 I decided along with my Dr it was time to get off the Lexapro....he told me 6 weeks  was long enough to taper off,  which I did.

During the end of  July 2017 I was also in hospital with another a-fib episode.....while there I had what I realize now we’re brain zaps, neck tremors and fuzzy thinking and hard to focus my sight , but attributed them to the cardio medication....the zaps went away, the fuzzy thinking stayed, along with eyesight focus problems.....all of which I thought was brought on by the new medications.....during this time I also experienced insomnia, tinnitus which was off and on until February 2018...since then it has been constant and very annoying.  I now listen to “white noise” at night to be able to sleep....I must say my eyesight and fuzzy thinking have somewhat improved the last few weeks...but these brain zaps and the lightheaded feelings are about to get the best of me....I just break down and cry when they happen....but......I will not ever take an antidepressant again!  I am so angry at the Dr for ever putting me on that nasty thing when it was not needed.....I am angry and sad for the time  it is robbing me from my family....because I just don’t feel good when all this is going on....I keep praying that all this comes to an end soon and I will be able to enjoy my life once more...the last 3 years I have had 2 ablations for the a-fib and  since November 2017 I finally started getting my life back from the a-fib problems.....then this withdrawal problem starts....It’s very annoying!  I have 4 grandkids that I would love to spend more time with, but I can’t because of these withdrawal symptoms going on right now.

I saw my Dr , who is different, today and when I mentioned that I could be experiencing withdrawal from the Lexapro....she looked at me like I  was nuts!  So here I am tonight wearing a 24-hr holter monitor....then she setting me up an EEG appt and an appointment with ear, nose and throat dr.....I am convinced that there are too many similar symptoms of withdrawal for this to be coincidence.....

2004 - 2017 10 mg Lexapro 

June 2017 - July 2017 taper off 4 weeks

July 16, 2017 last dose

• ChessieCat changed the title to Ritzywife: Lexapro withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ritzywife, welcome to SA. I am sorry that you are going through this, you are right it is lexapro withdrawal! It is good that you are seeing some improvements. Withdrawal seems to be 2 steps forward and 1 step back, that is the way it goes but you do get to the end eventually. Healing comes in windows and waves,  you may feel a little better then back to the beginning. Symptoms will change so thet you are confused and wonder of there is yet another illness. Test after test from equally confused doctors who finally decide that you are depressed and/or suffering from health anxiety and need to go back on drugs because they haven't a clue about withdrawal.  

The good news is that people DO recover from withdrawal. It is omportant to stay positive, even when it feels like it will never end, because it will end, and dwelling on the symptoms makes them much worse.  Many people here find that fish oil and magnesium help with withdrawal, they are the only 2 supplements that we universally recommend. Start with very small amounts and increase gradually one at a time. Take a look around the site, there are many interesting topics in symptoms and self care that will help you to understand withdrawal, and there are many going through the same thing, most of ud=s arrived here in withdrawal and are in the same boat. There are also success stories from people who have recovered.  

I hope your heart is ok, ot is possible that it is part of withdrawal but you are right to get it checked out. 

We ask all our members to fill in their signature with drug and tapering history, you can find how to do that here.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/?do=getNewComment

What is withdrawal syndrome

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

Windows and waves

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

Magnesium

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Fish oil

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible