Adayatatime: tapering off 100mg Pristiq

adayatatime

I started taking Pristiq in July of 2009.  I've been taking it ever since.  I started out with 50mg/day but transitioned to 100mg/day at some point a few years back.  I'm currently taking 100mg per day but want to wean off it.  My doctor will not listen to me and refuses to take me off it.  She says if it isn't broke don't fix it.  I'm a little irritated and am ready to matters into my own hand but want to be smart about it and cautious.  I have gained a ton of weight and have been getting extreme motion sickness lately and I'm wondering if Pristiq is the culprit.   I'm ready to see what life would be like without it.  

• ChessieCat changed the title to Adayatatime: Tapering off 100mg Pristiq
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to SA,

My own experience with taking 100mg Pristiq, I experienced mild serotonin syndrome.  I suggest you do some research on it to see if you are experiencing any of the symptoms.  My diastolic blood pressure increased and I was sweating a lot even in the middle of winter  It wasn't until my dose got lower that I recognised other things which I think were related to it, eg heart occasionally missing a beat (it felt like it flipped) and agitation.

Anyway, the good news is that it is possible to get off it.  I'm now down to 8mg.  Unfortunately many/most doctors still believe the chemical imbalance myth and believe that we need to be on them for life like a diabetic needs insulin.  One way of explaining it to the doctor would be to talk in terms of you wanting to lower your dose.

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the previous dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks which allows the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  This is because psychiatric drugs change the brain.  If we take the drug away too quickly we can experience withdrawal symptoms.  Even doing the recommended taper you can still experience withdrawal symptoms, but they are generally tolerable.

The issue with Pristiq is getting the doses.  Do not skip days.  I get my tablets compounded and have had to adjust the amount I reduce by related to combining the main capsule amount with 5mg, 2mg and 1mg capsules (now I'm under 10mg I'm using 0.5mg as well).  Above 50mg I was taking a tablet + capsules.  I get the large amount in one capsule, eg 40mg, 30mg, 20mg, 10mg and add the smaller capsules to create a dose which is no more than 10% of the previous dose.  Always round up, not down.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

This is your own introduction topic where you can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.  There are other members taking Pristiq.  To find them use the site search function at the top right of the screen.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for the response ChessieCat!  I will definitely check out serotonin syndrome.  I've never heard of it.  I am actually on the generic form of Pristiq and have always received tablets, not capsules.  Even when I was on the non-generic I was receiving tablets.  I didn't realize capsules was an option.  I see this is going to be a long process, unfortunately.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Pristiq only comes in tablets.  My doctor suggested alternating 50mg & 100mg doses but this is not recommended here because the brain likes consistency Skipping Days vs Every Day Dosing Graph.  I get my tablets compounded by the pharmacist.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• ChessieCat changed the title to Adayatatime: tapering off 100mg Pristiq