musicgirl123: Need help with quitting Adderall

musicgirl123

I've been taking Adderall for 15 years and was prescribed it originally to help with depression. I have stopped taking it while I was pregnant and completely went cold turkey. I lasted 9 months and went right back on it when I was able to after having my baby. Even after 9 months I was still unmotivated and lethargic every single day and I feel like there's nothing I can do to get motivated to even just clean my house and just do the minimal things in life. Its so frustrating and I have quit Adderall a million times for 1 week or 1 month etc. and I always go back to it because I feel like I can't keep up with the basic life events that I have and being an energetic mom and it's so frustrating! Is there anything that can help me feel motivated again without Adderall or is there any medicine or anything anyone can think of or know about at all that you can advise me to do? Ive read a lot of people say to wait it out and your brain heals itself and I feel like my brain will never heal because I've been taking this medicine for so long. Ive tried supplements like Tyrosine and vitamins nothing works. I have thought about trying Modafinil but I'm not sure it's a good fit for me. Please help! 

• ChessieCat changed the title to musicgirl123: Need help with quitting Adderall
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Musicgirl, welcome to SA.  Survivingantidepressants is here to help people to taper safely off psychiatric drugs and we can't recommend them.  Your body has changed now and what you have been able to do in the past with drugs does not apply now. Your nervous system has changed and the way it reacts to chenges is different.  When anyone has been off a drug for a while the same dose often can't be tolerated and there can be side effects. It is possible that the dose is now too high for you. Are you still taking it?  Is it 9 months since you started it again or since you stopped it?      We need you to fill in your signature with your drug and tapering history so we have the full picture, we ask all our members to do this so we can see it at the bottom of every post and don't have to scroll right back through the topic.  You can find instructions on how to do this here. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/?do=getNewComment

When we have more information we may be able to offer you some advice on adderal.

Edited by mammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

On 7/27/2018 at 10:01 PM, musicgirl123 said:

I've been taking Adderall for 15 years and was prescribed it originally to help with depression. I have stopped taking it while I was pregnant and completely went cold turkey. I lasted 9 months and went right back on it when I was able to after having my baby. Even after 9 months I was still unmotivated and lethargic every single day and I feel like there's nothing I can do to get motivated to even just clean my house and just do the minimal things in life. Its so frustrating and I have quit Adderall a million times for 1 week or 1 month etc. and I always go back to it because I feel like I can't keep up with the basic life events that I have and being an energetic mom and it's so frustrating! Is there anything that can help me feel motivated again without Adderall or is there any medicine or anything anyone can think of or know about at all that you can advise me to do? Ive read a lot of people say to wait it out and your brain heals itself and I feel like my brain will never heal because I've been taking this medicine for so long. Ive tried supplements like Tyrosine and vitamins nothing works. I have thought about trying Modafinil but I'm not sure it's a good fit for me. Please help! 

Hey musicgirl,

Welcome 🙂. I'm also a member who came off of Adderall and some other meds, and I still have a ways to go. You asked about motivation - I also feel unmotivated, and have found it very frustrating. The only things that have been reliably helpful for me with the motivation have been prioritising sleep and food, and exercising in whatever way I can motivate myself to exercise. Sometimes it's an actual work out, sometimes a walk in nature, sometimes just a five minute jog down the street and back, or sometimes just ten push-ups in my bedroom - whatever I feel able to do. Afterwards, I'm a little more alive. 

Looking forward to hearing how things go for you,

Marmot

2004: Clonazepam and Celexa. 2005 - 2006: Effexor, then increased to high dose, then switched to Valproate and Seroquel. 2007: Wellbutrin + Strattera + Celexa. 2007 - 2008: Wellbutrin + Adderall + Paxil. 2008 - 2012: Wellbutrin + occasional SSRIs when I had worsened "depression", which happened around 4 times, usually after CT of WB. 2012 - 2014: WB + Sertraline, then WB + Pristiq (awful W/D) then WB + rTMS, then ketamine. 2014 - 2016: Wellbutrin 200 mg + Abilify 4 mg + Adderall 20-40 mg + Cipralex 20 mg. Oct 2016: "Tapered" Cipralex, felt outrageously anxious, irritable. Dec 2016: "Tapered" Adderall, then felt depressed, hopeless, fatigued.  Feb 6 2017: reinstated 20 mg Adderall. Mar 2017: switched to Vyvanse, upped to 30 mg. May - Aug 2017: "Tapered" Vyvanse + Abilify to zero. Oct 25, 2017: Wellbutrin from 200 to 100 mg. Sep 10, 2018:  Wellbutrin from 90 to 60 mg. Oct 29, 2018: WB from 60 to 50 mg. Dec 19, 2018: WB from 50 to 45 mg. Apr 15, 2019: WB 41 mg. May 14, 2019: WB 37 mg. Jun 8, 2019: WB 33 mg. Jul 22: WB 30 mg, then down by around 10% per month. Aug 2020: 0

Working hard to take my life back. Anything I say here is as a friend or peer supporter; it is not medical advice.