DewinCA: Just getting started at age 72

DewinCA

Doc. said reduce Celexa by 1/2 due to QT prolongation risks.  Went from 20 to 10 mg. 1 month ago.  Feeling pretty crappy as indicated all over this forum.

At 72 I'm not sure I want to start a multi-year withdrawal process.  Might just switch to Wellbutrin??  Any comments certainly welcome!

2000 - 2008  Zoloft

2008 - 2014  Paxil

2014 - Present  Celexa

2000 - 2005  Zoloft

2005 - 2014  Paxil

2014 - Present - Celexa 20 mg. to 10 mg. June 2018     

Image1.jpg.347e93e6fdb5fb407c57fcdd9e1f980a.jpg

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."  Winston Churchill

• ChessieCat changed the title to DewinCA: Just getting started at age 72
  • Administrator

Welcome, Dew.

How do you feel? How's your sleep? Were you diagnosed with QT prolongation?

Wellbutrin also has significant side effects. It's typically not a bridge off Celexa.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata... thanks for the rapid reply.  

How do I feel?         Tense, muscle aches, short tempered & elevated tinnitus.  But then... it's being over 100 here for more than a month might contribute.

Sleep?                      Not TOO bad.  However, first hour or so after after waking is the pits.  As above but doubled.

QT Prolongation?  Cardiologist just erring on the side of caution I think.  I have two stints and have packed on 60+ lbs. since starting Celexa.

You are obviously well versed in this battle.  At my age, do you think the long, painful road to normalcy (whatever that might turn out to be) would be worth it?

I am conflicted!!

2000 - 2005  Zoloft

2005 - 2014  Paxil

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."  Winston Churchill

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dewin,

Could you put your medication history in the signature format:  signature

This is the portion you see below others' posts.

I think if you go slow it may well be worth it.

What is normalcy though?  B)

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi again Manymore.

I went to the link you provided and, hopefully, managed to comply with your request.  Could you please take a look and tell me if it fits the bill?

Thanks.

2000 - 2005  Zoloft

2005 - 2014  Paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm.  I not seeing it, your signature below your post yet.

Did you press save when you were done..............it will basically consist of what you had in your first post...........include the dose of your present medication and any recent changes.

Best,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

4 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hmmm.  I not seeing it, your signature below your post yet.

Did you press save when you were done..............it will basically consist of what you had in your first post...........include the dose of your present medication and any recent changes.

Best,

mmt

Well, snapdragons & fiddlesticks!!  I'll give 'er another try!

2000 - 2005  Zoloft

2005 - 2014  Paxil

I think I mighta got 'er.  Thanks for your help and patience MMT!

Edited by DewinCA
You ain't "your".

2000 - 2005  Zoloft

2005 - 2014  Paxil

• Administrator

Minimizing your drug intake of whatever drugs is better for your health. Polypharmacy is a health risk factor, particularly in old people: It burdens the liver, kidneys, and other systems.

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

On 7/31/2018 at 6:25 PM, DewinCA said:

How do I feel?         Tense, muscle aches, short tempered & elevated tinnitus.  But then... it's being over 100 here for more than a month might contribute.

Sleep?                      Not TOO bad.  However, first hour or so after after waking is the pits.  As above but doubled.

QT Prolongation?  Cardiologist just erring on the side of caution I think.  I have two stints and have packed on 60+ lbs. since starting Celexa.

Did the muscle aches and sleep disruption start after you reduced Celexa?

If yes, they are withdrawal symptoms; you might increase the dosage a little. Even 1mg more might help. Celexa comes in a liquid so you can titrate it. I would ask your doctor for a prescription for liquid Celexa to take alongside your tablet for a daily dose of 11mg.

The liquid will enable you to reduce more gradually than 10mg at a time.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dewin, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.